4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Booking.com Expedia.com WHotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

W San Diego

The W is a great hotel and, as in many cities, quite the hotspot in San Diego. If your vacation involves late night partying, its worth the steep price of admission. But, if you come to the city on business, you might want to look elsewhere.

I was unfortunately booked into a room on the side of the hotel overlooking the nightclub. If noise is a concern, inquire about this on check in. As I learned at 2 a.m. one night, the other side is much quieter.

All noise complaints aside, the hotel is fabulous and everything in the rooms is top notch. The rooms are on the small side, but have extremely comfortable beds and down comforters. The waterfall shower was a true luxury. And the staff was A+ handling everything from room service delivery to the 2 a.m. request for ear plugs. They even offered to help me relocate to another room at this wee hour of the morning.

Unique Quality: This is a party hotel and everything is geared towards the late night ambience. On the last night of my stay, I ventured downstairs to check out the festivities. The bar/club was quite a scene and a lot of fun.

• JQRatboy's Profile Photo

W Hotel San diego

"whatever and whenver " - True to their slogan

best hotel I have stayed in. It is expensive to stay in WHOTEL and It was a business trip but I definitely recommend staying in one of the WHotel at least once. New experience

Unique Quality: - heated sandbeach bar on second floor balcony
    - Lobby has a bar and becomes a Night club on Friday and Saturday night
    - W Hotel itself are so unique

• Nice, but not really my style

I recently stayed at this hotel with my boyfriend who was attending a conference. We were booked in the hotel because it was pretty much the only place left, as he booked with the conference later than most other people. The hotel in itself was very nice and in a good location. The rooms, though small, were nicely decorated and the beds were incredibly comfortable. I usually miss my own bed at home while staying in a hotel, but this time I didn't miss it at all. The linens were crisp and the covers luxurious. Despite the small room the bathroom was a good size. The service at the hotel was excellent. All of the employees were friendly and seemed to truly care about you enjoying your stay. The whatever/wherever service was helpful, we called them a few times for assistance (couldn't figure out how to work the dvd player). One employee even told me to call the service when I wanted ice because they would get it for me. She saw me in the hall going to get it, as the ice machines are located on even numbered floors, which was not my floor. While I never did this I suppose it would be helpful if you had already gotten into your p.j.s and wanted ice.
    The atmospehre would be really cool if you were into the whole club/party scene, which I'm not. The services were also insanely expensive. It cost $1.50 to make a local call and $2 to call an 800 number. The room service menu also gave us a good chuckle, the prices were scary. We were afraid to touch anything because we weren't sure if we had to pay for it or not.
    Overall a nice hotel, but for the price it's not something that I'd really recommend. If you've got the bucks and you like to party you'll probably love it.

Unique Quality: The Beach
    DVD players in every room

Directions: Downtown

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Go for the Bar... Stay for the bedding!

When you arrive at this hotel, the first thing you will notice is a wonderful crowd of youthful party seekers enjoying the bar scene at the W. This is great for the vacationer... but if you are here on business, you might consider a different local.

After you head up the dark stairway to the elevators, you will notice how noveau the entire place is...

Once inside your suite, you will see a wonderful blue and white bedspread that lets you know you are home... that is if your home is in the Modern Art Museum!

• Frisbeeace's Profile Photo

So cool!!

This hotel is located downtown within walking distance of the Gaslamp Quarter and is really something special. Recommended for people under 50.

Unique Quality: The decoration is modern and shocking. The feeling is more like if you were in a club rather than a hotel. The place is usually packed with young and fashionable people everywhere from the lobby to the amazing Beach bar with heated sand floor. The ambience is great and targets to those who like to party. Rooms are nice, comfortable and stuffed with modern things like CD players, DVD and boards hanging on the walls. They look like the room of a young bachelor.

It does deserve a visit at least to have a drink. It's definitely one of the hot spots to hang out in San Diego.

More about W San Diego

Nothing else like it in SD!

My Partner and I recently stayed at the W San Diego. I can agree with some of the people that the rooms are small; that is if you stay in the wonderful rooms. We stayed in the Kool Corner room that was over 400sqft.... with a separate bath and shower. For the Lady who thought paying to park at a hotel when her room was $200.00 dollars a night..
has obviously not stayed at a W before or at a upsclase hotel in a major city. Hello! Parking is never free in a cosmopolitan city. In addition the person who thought the W does not cater to Blacks or people of Color I am sorry you got that impression, we had no problem... Maybe you should take that chip of your shoulder. The W is geared for the trendy young hip modern crowd. It does have a yuppy feel for it... but thats what the customers want... San Diego does not have a ritz or a four seasons... this is the best you will find trust me..
unless your happy with a Hilton... or Hyatt... to me they are just run of the mill places... The W gets my vote and I will return next time in San Diego....

Pleasantly surprised

My husband and I stayed at the W San Diego in May 2004. I was afraid of the "snob factor" that I thought I would encounter, but was pleasantly surprised. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was not huge, but plenty big enough. The large, cushioned window seat and breakfast bed tray were big pluses! The bed was extremely comfy, too. I agree with a previous poster that the room service charges were outlandish...but that is why I never use room service!

The lobby has a bar, called The Living Room, that is extremely popular on the weekends...there were lines down the street to get in! But guests get a "pass" to go to the front door and right into the hotel without having to wait in like. I was afraid that the club atmosphere on the weekends would carry up to the guest rooms, but in actuality, it was the quietest room I think I have ever stayed in. A big reason for this...there were absolutely no children to be seen in this hotel. A big plus for us!

We found the location extremely convienent...just 2 blocks from the trolley transfer station, which made it easy to get around the city.

We will definitely consider staying there again.

This is the place to be!

What a wonderful experience! This is definately a modern hip hotel for the younger crowd...or young at heart. The staff was amazing. The parking was a bit high $26...but they do allow you in and out. Though I never left. They have everything you need right there ...the food the drinks and the party were all there at the hotel. The only complaint was the bathroom. No hot water, no toiletries and only two sets of towels. Didn't work out too well in a four person room. I will comprise the poor bathroom with all of the other fabulous amenities. I can't wait to go back!

Wonderful World of the W

No parking was an inconvenience. Friendly, professional staff.
Interesting design aspect carried throughout hotel. International, and in/out of state travelers make for a good mix. Friday & Satruday nights - plenty of lovely individuals to look at.

Most uncomforatble hotel I've ever stayed in!

Never have I stayed in a hotel that made me feel so uncomfortable. The excessive charges for room service (20% plus 7.75% sales tax) and the continental breakfast ($4 for a container of Yoplait) were ridiculous.
I didn't want to touch anything for fear that I would be charged. There was no information on check out time or helpful brochures about area attractions. I agree with other reviewers, the rooms are small and it appears that the W has used mirrors to make everything bigger than it is such as the tiny, tiny pool. I was shocked that such a hotel had no jacuzzi. I've had more amenities, like a free continental breakfast at place like a Super 8. Lucikly, I spent my last night in San Diego at a Comfort Inn for a mere $99 where I had access to a real sized pool, a jacuzzi and a deluxe Continental breakfast. I deeply regret the $700 I paid for myself and my partner to stay there for two nights.

Vacation

by MWmom

We, along with 400 other Irish Dancers, were just booted from the Omni Hotel for the last week in June beginning of July..(computer error). Most of the hotels DT are booked or simply unaffordable now. We are traveling by car and would like to know if there are any affordable beach resorts/condos along the coast. We will be in the area for about a week and then heading up the coast to who knows where--just have to be home by July 9th. Any help is much appreciated. Also, a good place for fireworks? Have a 9 and 12 yr old...

Thankyou

RE: Vacation

by spartan

Hi Karolyn,

Sorry to hear that...was it a computer error on their part (Omni) or yours? Anyway, there are a number of properties downtown...Marriott Properties (Courtyard, Gaslamp Quarter, Hotel & Marina, Residence Inn), Manchester Grand Hyatt, Embassy Suites, Starwood Properties (Sheraton Suites, Westin Horton Plaza, W San Diego, Sheraton Hotel and Marina) and numerous Holiday Inns, Hampton Inns, etc. Other areas you may want to consider are Sea World, Old Town, Mission Beach and Mission Valley.

Sincerely,

Spartan

by mccalpin

I'm guessing that there's a lot more to this story...did you have a contract with the Omni and they booted you or what?

Hey, if it's really their fault, call up their CEO and suggest that he solve the problem ;-) I think he's here in the Dallas area...

JAMES D. CALDWELL
Phone: 972-871-5623
Fax: 972-871-5667

Bill

by MWmom

Starting June 28th until July 2nd the North America Irish Dance Championships are being held Downtown @ the Marriott. (Hope you have plenty of Guiness-expect about 3000 of us-coming from as far away as England and Australia) The Marriott is the venue hotel and booked in 1/2 an hour..the Omni was the 'overflow' hotel..both @ a rate of $140/nt. On Feb. 11th we all booked rooms, most at the Omni and have confirmation #'s. Well starting on Feb. 22nd one by one we recieved the "computer glitch" call from the Omni. They just said "sorry" nothing we can do..call the San Diego Concierge (who has been amazingly helpful to all of us) Hope that clarifies it.
We (not all 400) just the 4 of us decided to not stay in DT and try Del Mar or Harbor Island since this will be a family vacation. Thanks again!

by spartan

Wow...they caused the problem and you all are affected by it? Not what I call customer service on the part of Omni. As mccalpin mentioned, I'd be on the phone with the head office and give them a piece of my mind.

by MWmom

Thankyou for the address. I wrote a letter (a nice one) but disappointed in your service type. Karolyn

Comments