Westin Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego

910 Broadway Circle, (Formerly The Westin Horton Plaza)San Diego, California, 92101, United States

The Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• ArizonaExpert's Profile Photo

An Old Favorite Still Delivers

I just finished a three night stay at the Westin and was last here two years ago. The facility is great. It is clean, spacious and internet user friendly with wireless all through the lobby. My room was enormous with room to sleep 4-6. I didn't have my family, so it was more than enough space.

Service is always first rate and pleasant. My toilet broke and it was repaired immediately upon notification.

Workout room is just fine and I didn't try the pool, but with that beautiful ocean, who wants a hotel pool?

Unique Quality: I love the location because downtown is the hub of activity. You can walk to the ballpark and do hundreds of restaurants and bars throughout all the districts that make up downtown. You are 5 minutes from Balboa Park and close to Seaport Village. And of course, you are next to shopping at Horton Plaza.

I used to go downtown in San Diego when you were afraid to go at night in the early 1980s. They have done a fantastic job of making downtown the place to be. This hotel is a great place to stay to be in the center of that activity.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Great place to lay your head in SD!

While out in San Diego on business, I would definitely recommend this hotel as your place of residence. Its close proximity to the convention center, the gaslamp quarter, and the rest of downtown San Diego makes this ideal. You can also enjoy a good cup of coffee on the first floor.

Unique Quality: Nothing unique here... except the Heavenly bed... a Westin signature.

• trotador's Profile Photo

The Westin Horton Plaza San...

The Westin Horton Plaza San Diego
    I don't really remember the price but it's like all the Westin-Sheraton hotels (starwood chain)

Unique Quality: The price is OK knowing this this is a five star hotel. Some rooms have excellent views. Beds are the best, it is like being in a cloud, no kidding!!!

Directions: Is located in Donwtown San Diego adjoining Horton Plaza Mall on 910 Broadway Circle.

• paulapes's Profile Photo

My boss stayed at the Marriott...

My boss stayed at the Marriott on the Marina--fantastic, but very expensive. We stayed in the Doubletree Horton Plaza, which was a little closer to my price range. It was a great hotel, but I believe it has changed hands...but it's still right next to the Horton Plaza, which is a terrific location.

Directions: Next to Horton Plaza, which is in the center of the city. There are many, many restaurants close by, the Plaza, which is a great mall, Planet Hollywood, etc., etc.

More about Westin Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego

Westin Horton Plaza...You Won't Be Disappointed!!

by TripAdvisor Member zeebzoo

We stayed at the Westin Horton Plaza for two nights for our anniversary in July, 2004. We had an incredible stay. The Westin lived up to its reputation of being extremely comfortable, having incredible service and an outstanding location. The only reason it didn't receive an excellent ranking is due to the extremely slow elevator service.

The Westin is located next to Horton Plaza Mall. It is a multi level outdoor mall containing a great variety of shops and some restaurants. The hotel is just minutes away from all of the other attractions of downtown San Diego (The newly restored Gaslamp District, Seaport Village, Old Town San Diego, the San Diego Airport, the Midway Aircraft Carrier and my favorite Petco Park the new home of the San Diego Padres).

The hotel offers extremely convenient valet parking. Our vehicle was always ready by the time we came down from our room and the staff were very helpful.

Ritz Carlton prices at a BASIC sports bar!

Let me first say that I am a local resident in San Diego. I live only two blocks from the Westin Horton Plaza. I sometimes stop in Horton's Sports Bar. This is a local sport's bar, nothing special at all! I usually order a small appetizer and a drink. The final bill normally comes to under $15. I just came back and am very disappointed to find out that the same stuff I used to order had a 100% price increase. A basic no frills quesadilla (flour torlilla with cheese and chicken) cost me $11.95 and a very tiny pina colada was $11.25! I payed less at a Ritz Carlton! They lost my business forever! Oh, by the way the hotel is nothing special either. I have stayed at many Westin Hotels and this one ranks on the bottom.

Nice location but it has a price.

by TripAdvisor Member AZBearDown

My wife and I stayed at the Westin for a one night stayover on our way to a longer stay on the Island. Considering that I am a Starwood Gold member I think we were upgraded to a bay view which was nice but besides that it was pretty expensive even for San Diego. The hotel is located next to Hortons Plaza and the Gaslamp which was convenient but there was no self parking and valet was $25.
The hotel also boasts that it has windows that open, which was good since our a/c was pulling in cigarette smoke from somewhere into our non-smoking room.
My wife and I prefer room service breakfast which at this hotel took over an hour to deliver and the waiter did not even acknowledge that it took a long time. I do not mind paying more for room service but I expect it to arrive in a reasonable timeframe and the waiter to deliver it with a smile.
Overall, the Westin Horton Plaza is a decent hotel but I expect better from a Westin.

Bring Earplugs and a dustcloth

by TripAdvisor Member Calvados3

We recently spent a weekend at the Westin Horton Plaza in October 2004. Our room was a Starwood preferred floor (14th) and a corner room. Initially we thought that this was a plus because of the partial ocean views. We began the night with the windows open to absorb some of that sea air, but as the night progressed, there was a major problem with noise levels from whistling trains, police sirens and loud motorcycles. Even with the windows closed, voices on the street were easily heard, and there is pedestrian traffic 'til the wee hours. (There is only single glazing in the windows). We eventually had to get our ocean air at the beach, rather than with open windows. The disruptively loud amorous activity from the adjacent room (those heavenly mattresses?) was also evidence of lack of soundproofing considerations in design. We concur with previous reviews mentioning lapses in housekeeping diligence (our room had freshly spilled coffee all over the interior of the dresser), and the slowness of whatever number of working elevators exists at the time. If they had charged me $75 a night, as one of the previous reviewers states, it might have been forgettable, but at $229, with the AAA discount, and with the $25 fee for parking, it's not that wonderful an experience. Definitely concur also with the reviewer who stated that Horton Plaza is just another mall. Probably won't do this again here.

Left without luggage by overpriced valet, hotel denies liability.

Let me start by stating that I work for a very prestigious medical clinic and the honesty and integrity are first and foremost in my life. I had an occasion to stay at the Westin Horton Plaza recently that I am not happy with in the least. As a gift for my birthday I received two tickets and a flight to see a concert in Sandiego area, two nights in the gas-lamp district and was promised a leisure romantic weekend on the beach to follow (at another Westin resort in OC who charges 18 for valet and washes the windows). Needless to say, this weekend did not happen as planned. The heavenly bed was great, as a matter of fact I want this bed for myself it was the most comfortable hotel mattress I have ever slept in, which is good considering the rest of the room left something to be desired, the view was of a conference area sun deck at eye level where anyone could stare straight into our room and see what we were doing and the room smelled of stale cigar smoke. The maid service opened our window daily and left it unsecured, but for some reason they don't vacuum well and there are dust bunnies around and behind the furniture that have been growing for years. The carpeting was full of burn holes. The desk had a mass of open bare wiring left lying unsecured on the carpet that I assumed was the modem for Internet hookup because of the flashing lights. Maid service ?, plan to call twice if you want anything.
On the morning we attempted to depart the Horton Westin we asked the valet employee at the front door to bring our van around before leaving our room. Since we had already paid the 25 for each days valet we thought we might go to breakfast before we departed. They told us there really was no self parking near by. The valet, who by the way wears a Westin Logo Shirt but is not employed by the hotel but Ace Parking, cut us off stating he would be happy to place our luggage in the back of the van (which was coming into view at that time to my left) and we could go to breakfast if we wished and come and pick the van up later. Though this was our intention we did not ask him this, he offered...insisted even. He shooed us away stating repeatedly that there was no reason for us to stay and watch him put the bags into our van, that he would take total responsibility for the loading and also stated that there were cameras securely aimed at the bag area and they were more than secure and I did not need to sit over them and watch. I also remember intentionally showing him that there were four bags to be loaded and he acknowledged that he would load all four in himself and secure the vehicle and gestured at teh van now coming into view. This is somewhat recorded on poorly directed security tapes.
This did not happen though he promised adamantly that it would. He loaded three of our bags and not our clothing. Not only didn't he load the bags up but valet rolled all of the windows down and left the van totally unsecured off to the side of the camera view where any person walking by the Horton shopping plaza could have taken additional items at their leisure. A few minutes and we were left in another state with nothing to wear but the travel clothing we had on. Our stay was let off by hours of sitting in a nondescript lobby with a dead floral arrangement while tapes were reviewed by Westin security (who by the say states the tapes run too fast for him to see what happened to the bag once we passed through the lobby with it) and a free bottle of water while sitting in the lobby of the Westin. We then had chance to meet several members of hotel staff and security that denied any liability or involvement by the hotel and finally the management of the Ace parking, who kindly offered us 350.00 for the luggage that included new items of apparel and my birthday gifts of over 2000.00 value to us. Not only that but during my wait I was approached by additional people wearing westin shirts wishing to search our van who did not identify themselves to me. I do remember telling them that I would be happy to let the gentleman from security who had previously identified himself to me do this but did not think it appropriate that uninvolved people were asking me this. The Westin Horton staff even boasted that they have never ever lost a bag.
They did not find our bag, they did not report the theft to the San Diego police. Our vacation days were spent replacing items of apparel in a mall with our own money and not relaxing on a beach. Not only did they not locate our luggage but the last two weeks have been spent haggling about depreciation with Ace Parking. I personally think they owe us just for the sheer emotional stress and duress that they caused and for ruining my Birthday vacation completely.
This gets better, today at 1201 PM someone calls my home and hangs up on me from a location just a few blocks from the Horton Westin. I did a reverse phone lookup and mapquest search and called the number back. I was directed by the operator to risk management of the Hotel W, who states that our bag has been sitting in a storage area at their hotel, which by the way is a Starwood Resort and also serviced by the very same Ace Parking. They do not know how it got there nor how long it has been there. She actually explained that since the luggage had a man's name on the tag that it was customary for them to hang up unless a man was to answer the phone number.
My vacation was in August and I still don't have this bag.

Hotel near Conference Centre?

by SwedishCouple

Hi
I'm going to San Diego for the Microsoft TechEd in end of May 2004. Anyone that can recommed a good hotel near the conference centre?

Re: Hotel near Conference Centre?

by Manara

The Horton Grand is a hotel with Victorian Charm, 2 and a half block from the convention center. It is in an area full of shops, restaurants and clubs.

Re: Re: Hotel near Conference Centre?

by spartan

Hi,

Other hotels in the area include the Manchester Grand Hyatt, Marriott and Embassy Suites.

Sincerely,

Spartan

Re: Hotel near Conference Centre?

by trotador

In my oppinion it is better if you book a room in a hotel nex to the Gaslamp Quarter (Downtown) it is not far from the Convention Center and you have lot of restaurants (walking distance) to have dinner after a hard day. The Westin Horton Plaza is a very good choice.

Comments