4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

400 West Broadway, (formerly Wyndham at Emerald Plaza), San Diego, California, 92109, United States

Booking.com Westin.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• Hope you like to pay for EVERYTHING.

The Westin San Diego has a great location. It is close to PETCO park, the Midway museum and the harbor. It is a short drive to La Jolla, the San Diego Zoo, Wild Animal Park, Seaworld, etc. The problem with the hotel is that the high room price is just the start to the a la carte expenditures. You will pay 30+ dollars A NIGHT for parking, another high fee for Internet, crazy food prices, and so forth. The experience gets worse: there is no self parking on the grounds. There is, however, a parking garage across the street. The hotel staff lied outright about the fees and procedures for this facility (I did worry about car safety because the hotel is next to the bus station, the YMCA and everything that comes with that eg block after block of homeless and drug users (we saw countless dealings and usings every time we approached the hotel). Yet, after I saw the valet park my car in this very garage, I went over and checked things out myself and got the truth that saved me $17 per night. The concierge had tickets to many places, but no combination tickets (zoo + wild animal park; see world and both parks; and so forth) and none to the wild animal park or Midway museum. This is not good if you have children or expect to go to several attractions. The food prices were 6 and 7 times what you would pay just by walking a block down the road for the very same food (though we didn't really want to eat in the hotel anyway). The pool was nothing to write home about, and there were fees just to use the phone, even if the call was local or 800.
    In short, the hotel had a nice bed and the staff were friendly enough. But, if your company is not footing the bill I would not stay here. Even if you were able to get a good internet rate, by the time they get done adding fees on the cost will not be worth it. There are plenty of better hotels in better locations with better deals.

Unique Quality: Unique, but not in a good way - no self parking on the premises. You are going to pay to park and pay a lot. Don't pay for the valet, you can go right across the street to a very nice, clean modern garage for less than half the price. It is the same place the valet will park your car.

Directions: Pier near the airport and walking distance to PETCO.

• gilescorey's Profile Photo

Serious Hotel.

I've stayed in San Diego, only once before. In comparing last minute rates, we found the Emerald Plaza to be a great bargain.

The Gaslamp Suites, where I'd decamped, previously, was a mere $20 less, per night. The Wyndham is the Taj Mahal, by comparison. Much bigger and better rooms, great views, better on-site amenities and a comparable location.

Valet park if you intend to use the car during your stay. Self-parking does not provide in and out privileges, and is $15 bucks a pop! $25 to Valet, per day.

Unique Quality: For consideration: The W Hotel(incredibly trendy) is next door to The Wyndham and was a full $100 more, per night. I stayed at the Wyndham, then walked to The W for a cocktail. Better plan, I think.

There are downsides: Though the room had incredible views, I found the A/C underperformed and the bathroom was a bit dated. The odd shape of the hotel itself lent an odd shape to the actual room, though I could look past that. And, I felt the pool was a bit of an embarassment - tiny and uninteresting.

Though the Gaslamp Quarter is a short walk, I would recommend being somewhat careful late at night, as the Wyndham is near the bus station and everything that entails.

All that considered, we had a pretty great room for an online booking. I'd recommend the Wyndham Emerald Plaza!

Directions: Broadway and Columbia, West of the Gaslamp Quarter.

• A must is the Windham Emerald...

A must is the Windham Emerald Plaza. It is a very beatuiful hotel with all accommodations
    The price we normally pay is $89.00 - $99.00 per night.

Unique Quality: It has a great view of San Diego. Very good hospitality. It is a four star hotel. There is a business section with all the hookups. It may seem a little expensive to some but it is well worth it.

• We've stayed at many places in...

We've stayed at many places in the Gaslamp area, but the best was Wyndham which is about 2 or 3 blocks from the main strip in the Gaslamp. They can be kind of pricy, but we lucked out and got a room with them through priceline for about $50.

More about Westin San Diego

A Pleasant Stay

by TripAdvisor Member Cerberus

Our recent stay at the Westin San Diego was pleasant, yet unremarkable. The hotel staff with whom we had contact was courteous and efficient (check in took less than five minutes on a Saturday afternoon).

Once in our room, we were pleased with how clean it was, although the decor was not necessarily fabulous. The bed, however, was exceptionally comfortable. There were several down pillows of varying sizes and a very nice duvet. The bed was one of the best I can recall in any hotel and it made sleeping a breeze.

The hotel is about a ten minute walk from the Gaslamp, which is not particularly bad because it is in an area with considerably less crowd noise. While the walk itself is rather quick and easy, the multitude of panhandlers who fail to understand the word “no” make the walk feel a little longer than it actually is, especially at night.

Aside from the panhandlers (which are not really the hotel’s fault), the only real criticism about the hotel of which I can think would be the $24 per night self-parking fee which did not include “in and out privileges.” I would recommend spending the additional $6 for valet parking.

Wonderful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member wegoholoholo

My husband and I stayed at the Westin San Diego on the the first leg of our twelve day California journey and could not have been more thrilled with our choice for a downtown hotel.

Upon our arrival, we were seen to a room that was a little to close to the cablecar tracks for our liking. Our bellman called the front desk and we were taken to another room on the SPG floor on the opposite side of the building. Although we were unable to hear the cable car, we could still hear the Amtrak train, but it was very faint. That is one thing about staying right in San Diego Downtown to be aware of when visiting the city. The train goes right around the perimeter of the city and can be heard in varying degrees depending on how close you are to the tracks. Choose your hotel wisely as it may make or break your vacation.

The hotel was clean, the bed was soft and the staff were very friendly and pleasant. The shower was wonderful! Not the ususal water saving trickle that takes you twice as long to rinse, but two heads with a good flow of water.

We noticed there was not the usual slamming of the room doors as the guests came and went. This could probably be attributed to this hotel being a business traveler's hotel with very little children.

The down side was that the restaurant on the property was very slow and so was the service. We barely saw our waitress, but the hostess and supervisor stepped in when we needed something. The food was very good, with the exception of the tabbouleh. It was made mostly of herbs, with very very little wheat, tomatoes etc., I would suggest they revise the recipe or take it off the menu. They were kind enough to replace it for us though.

The bar was an enjoyable place to stop in for a nightcap and to find out the score of the foodball games before ending our day.

All in all, this was a great quiet place to stay in downtown and only a few blocks from Horton's Plaza.

The many hexagons of a standard business hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Object_A

Other than the many hexagons of this hotel in downtown San Diego, there's not a lot that's particularly memorable about it.

The rooms are the standard comfortable, overly-stuffed one's you expect at a hotel like this, and catering to many a business traveler with a corporate travel account, they will try to squeeze every cent out of you.

Staff were helpful and friendly and the hotel is a short walk from the Gaslamp quarter, home to some great restaurants and bars, in an otherwise pretty vacant downtown area.

A coffee maker with fair trade coffee was a nice touch, and the showerheads mean business...

Clean room, Excellent amenities, and location. Need improvement on Services

by TripAdvisor Member TravelwithPuppy2

We spent 2 nights (12/29-12/31) in this great Westin. We reserved via Starwood. The hotel is located within walking distance to Gas Lamp District (About 10 minutes walk) and a few blocks away from the AMTrack rail station. Suprisingly, no noise was heard in the room. Front desk in the lobby was friendly and this hotel allow dogs on permists (Not sure if dogs are allowed in the onsite restaurant)!

The room is clean, and equiped with a 32" LCD, a safe that is big enough to put in a Mac book pro 15" and a huge Desk that we had take outs in the room for 2 without problem. The bed was very very comfortable. The Gym is not large, but the equipments are superb. It's a smoke free hotel, but I believe all hotels are smoke free in California nowadays. The equipment staff responded promptly to look into bathroom door problem.
Servicing needs improvements and all bad points below are minor in my point of view, but I would expect better from this type of hotels.

The minor issues are:
- someone's clothes was left behind in the bathroom.
- took 3 calls to service desk and several hours to get additional bathroom supplies.
- not very friendly response on the phone when I called for service(may be just me).
- broken bathroom door.

Overall, it is a great hotel and we will visit again.

Nice but still some room for improvement

by TripAdvisor Member smub

Great location, excellent bed and pillows, great shower, great free robe and coffee. Very friendly service.

For the price though I had expected a larger room. It was small especially if sharing with more then a spouse. I had also expected timely maid service. When we returned at 4pm on New Years day, our room was still a mess. They made some excuse yet they quickly fixed the problem.

I also expected a more informed concierge. When I questioned her about local transportation to Tijuana, all she could tell me was about the tours they promoted. The concierge seemed to have little knowledge about travelling for the non business traveller.

Nice hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member EHS_7

Very clean and businessy, there are even office buildings that are accessed through part of the lobby. Nice decor and light. Cons were internet charges and not working for part of my stay, parking charges, smaller rooms, and a little off the beaten path. Overall nice and pretty good food too. Park in the garage on Columbia for $15 overnight and get your internet at Starbucks down by the trolley station!

Working in downtown San Diego, where to live?

by w_james

I am considering employment in a company with offices in Emerald Plaza in downtown San Diego. With an income of approx $60K, what are good neighborhoods that would afford me a combination of short commute, coffee shops, good bakery, theater within walking distance and a not too interminable commute? And of course, affordability is of prime importance.

Thanks

RE: Working in downtown San Diego, where to live?

by lilimj

Little Italy!
Pros: It's fun, the best food, in the area you want to be.
Cons: Air traffic from airport.

RE: Working in downtown San Diego, where to live?

by lmkluque

The downtown area has had a "residential" boom in the past few years. There has been an effort to mix price options so you should be able to find something affordable to your income right downtown if that is appealing.

If, by theater you mean movie theater there are two downtown that I can think of. If you mean stage theater there are several in the downtown area.

Outside of the downtown area, I'd suggest, Hillcrest, University Heights, Normal Heights or Kensington. Hillcrest being the most developed for the type of access you suggest.

Hope this helps,