William Penn Hotel

511 F Street, San Diego, California, 92101, United States
AMOMA.com

More about San Diego

seafood,chinese & japanese foodseafood,chinese & japanese food

hot in disneyhot in disney

posepose

facing coronado bridgefacing coronado bridge

Irvine to San Diego Zoo

by sabonis

Hi everybody

I know I have to take the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner to San Diego, but which station do I have to get off? Because on the schedule there are two (Old Town and Tijuana). Also is the Zoo near the station or do I have to take a bus or taxi?

Also on the weekdays my friend is pretty busy so I'd like to see some places by myself. Which ones do you recommend on the west coast (except for Disneyland)

Thanks so much

by HarmoniousBotch

Old Town is probably your best bet; it will be about a two-mile taxi ride. But many Amtrak trains don't stop there, to the best of my recollection.

There is another stop: San Diego. It is south of the Old Town stop. I've never heard of Amtrak going into Tijuana.

From the San Diego stop it will be about 3 miles to the zoo.

by bocmaxima

Old Town would be easier but, yeah, not all of the trains stop there.
You can take a bus from either one of the stations. Check out the system maps and trip planners here http://www.sdcommute.com/
Are you going to be in Irvine or in San Diego on the weekdays? You'll be a lot better off in San Diego by yourself. Irvine's not a bad town, but there's not much to do for tourists, and it's really hard to get around in Orange County without a car.

by sabonis

thanks for the replies, they were helpful.

and yeah I'm staying in Irvine and there really isn't much to do around here.

by lmkluque

I'd suggest that you get off at the Sante Fe Depot downtown. It is actually the only "train station" we have here that I've ever heard of for San Diego.

I'm not an expert on the Pacific Surfliner to San Diego, but I don't know of it stopping at Old Town or Tijuana. The SD Trolley has both of those stops on their Blue Line route. BTW, the SD Trolley stop is "San Ysidro" (the border crossing into Tijuana.) Not Tijuana. There is an SD Trolly station just across the street from the Santa Fe Depot.

However, from the train station (Santa Fe Depot) you could take a taxi to the Zoo or you could walk East on Broadway to Front Street and take the # 7 bus to the Zoo, which is as mentioned above, about three miles east.

You can find the specific route and times at this link:

The places I'd recommend would depend upon what type of things you are interested in. If you are relying on public transportation you should be able to reach most places of interest easily.

by HarmoniousBotch

Amtrak calls their downtown stop the 'San Diego Station'. The building it is in is called the 'Santa Fe Depot". But if you use the name 'Santa Fe' on the Amtrak site you will end up in New Mexico.

by lmkluque

Thank you HB for the clarification!

I hadn't even considered the difference.

Sorry, for leading anyone astray then!

Travel Tips for San Diego

See the Hotel del Coronado on...

by SDSteve1

See the Hotel del Coronado on Coronado Island and have a martini in their martini lounge. When I come home from anywhere, that cool breeze that hits my face as I leave the airport reminds me I live in paradise.

Heritage Park Burton House

by Pawtuxet

This lovely building has soulvenirs and you can stop in to their Tea Room for a very civilized cup of tea! :-) I was with "the guys" who weren't in the mood for such nicities, but I would have loved to poke around a bit more and have a tea break.

TURN OF THE CENTURY LOOK

by lmkluque

San Diego has had an interesting history of popular brothels and famous Wild West characters, like Wyatt Earp, who owned a few saloons downtown, spending time here.

The turn of the century facades are reminiscent of those "good ol' days!" Due to questions about some historical buildings in SD I'm adding these websites that tell about the history of the buildings, I'll add more when I come across them.

Roger's on 5th now George's on 5th

Emerald Plaza, the multi towered building with green lights around the top.

Balboa Theater History

Spreckels Theater History

California Theater History

Old Town Restaurant kitchen

by Pawtuxet

Maybe it was the time of day or the way the sun streamed in the window....but this kitchen in the Old Town restaurant really enchanted me. The manequin stood with her back to the visitor....so that you actually thought it was a live person putting something on the shelf. Interesting bowls, jugs, baskets, utensils all around. The simplicity of the structure and the furnishings were very appealing.
Notice the old stenciling on the upper walls.

California 4ZZH006

by matcrazy1

When I finally rented my Buick Century I paid attention to its licence plate: California 4ZZH006. What did it mean?
Hmm... nothing more that the car was registered in the state of California. Am I wrong? In other words - is it possible to know location (county, city) of registration the car from the car licence plate?
E-mail me if you know the answer, please.

MORE:
Follow the links below, please.

Comments