2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

610 Geary Street, (formerly Quality Inn Union Sq), San Francisco, California, 94102, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 124% more than similarly rated 2.5 star hotels

• Good Value in SF

The Adante suited our 6 night stay including a 14 month old. The front desk clerk upgraded our room to a suite for $10 per night, this was very affordable due to original nightly rate being $60 odd dollars. I appreciated that the clerk recognised we needed a little more room with tour toddler. I can recommend the Adante without a problem for families who wish to spend money on other things such as sight seeing etc. The room was newly renovated with big screen TV's in both king size bedroom and lounge that also converted into a fold out bed. The bathroom very clean and modern, in fact we were very satisfied with all the room features. Fresh coffee to brew when your room was made up every day, we had a back room which was very quite though I don't mind the noise in any case (sirens etc). The locality was great with Union Square and transport close, a Walgreens is a 2 minute walk on Geary Street so when any snacks or drinks required they could be collected close by. The staff were friendly and one afternoon is was too wet to venture out so we sat in the attached cafe with a delicious coffee (they serve beer too) and watched the world go by out on Geary street. Family friendly restaurants are within 2 minutes walks from the hotel (Diners or similar) so after dark you don't have to stroll to far in this is an issue. We'll give the Adante 10/10 for great value for money

More about Adante Hotel

We liked Adante

Good location,helpfull,friendly staff,free breakfast(toast,coffee,juice and muffins).Easy going and relaxed,with a European feel,no A/C but big ceiling fans,good price for SF,just what we wanted.

Something's fishy at the Adante

by TripAdvisor Member Nebraskatraveler

I stayed here for three nights in April 2005. Booked a "king suite" which was supposed to have two rooms plus bath. Instead, had one room that was approximately 4 feet wider and 2 feet longer than a king-sized bed. The dresser drawers could not be opened fully as they hit the bed. Very noisy, facing Geary Street. No a/c. When we checked in, hotel said the room I had requested (been promised??) was already in use. Nice bathroom with jacuzzi tub, though very noisy fan made it unpleasant. No closet, just a place to hang clothes. Not perfectly clean but not terrible. We visited friends who were staying at the Adagio which was much nicer. There are a couple of other hotels along Geary that also looked worth checking out. Try the Savoy, it looked fun. The fish murals are pretty funky. The location of this hotel was great, the little cafe off the lobby was nice, the staff was pleasant though unwilling to move me. Reminded me a bit of European hostels.

Cheap AND Surprisingly Pleasant Stay In San Francisco

I loved this hotel. When my boyfriend originally booked this room and told me that he got a hotel room in San Francisco for less than $50 per night during April (one of the best months to visit San Francisco...the other is October), I was weary of his decision making skills. I looked online prior to going just to check out the Adante. From what I saw, people seemed to like it except for the cheesy looking murals on the guestroom walls. We were only going for the weekend, and I thought, "Well, why not?"

This hotel is GREAT! It is in a great location. We took the BART to Powell Station, and the hotel is about 1/2 a mile northwest (right down the street from Union Square). From the outside, the physical characteristics of the hotel do not do the service of the staff and the quality of the rooms justice. It really does look historic. However, the lobby is very nice. They have plush sofas inside to sit on and rest, and patio furniture outside so that you can enjoy the hustle & bustle of the city. The service at the front desk is just about the best that I have ever received. The man at the front desk was extremely professional. He gave us maps of the city and made suggestions for us first-time visitors. We arrived early and they even let us use a storage room for our luggage until we checked out.

There is a cafe connected to the hotel. It is an Internet cafe so that makes it very convenient. I ordered a cappuccino, however, I would not order another one. They were very nice in there, but the coffee was not anything special. It tasted more like hot water than espresso. Every morning there was a continental breakfast. Not much food, just blueberry muffins, juice and coffee, but hey for $50 a night I wasn't even expecting that.

We checked in at 3PM on a Saturday, and we received a room on the 6th floor facing the alley and neighboring buildings. It was not a view worth starring out at, but I thought it was cool and appreciated it because I have never lived in a big city so it kind of gave me the impression of what it would be like to look out your window if you lived in New York City (see attached pictures). There was also chicken wire above the alleyway to keep birds from flying into the rooms as there are no screens on the windows. BE CAREFUL OF FALLING OUT! :-) Very few of the rooms face out over Geary Street. I would say not more than three rooms on each floor so about 18-21 rooms. The ride up to the room in the elevator is quite scary. The elevator is nice inside but it seemed as if it was the original "lift." It wobbled and creaked as it made its way up the floors.

The room was cozy. NO A/C but this never bothered us. We opened the window, and there was a ceiling fan in the room to generate air circulation. There is a heater in the room which we never needed to use. The weather was beautiful. We had one king bed and a sofa with a pullout. The TV was recessed into the wall so that saved space. There was a small desk w/ Evian Bottled Water (for purchase) and a coffee maker w/ free coffee. The bathroom was surprisingly nice. It had been fully remodeled and kept up to date. The shower was very clean as was the sink and toilet. There was also a large closet in the bathroom that contained hangers, a safe and an ironing board. I believe that the bathroom used to be a guestroom because you could actually enter the bathroom from both the hallway and our room. It was a private bath also (not shared). The murals on the wall were kind of cheesy. It would be more fitting for a room in Puerto Rico (with the birds, fish and pastel colors), but it honestly didn't bother me because I was satisfied with the overall quality of the room and the service.

In the elevator, I heard a few conversations regarding noise that people were hearing throughout the night, but I never heard anything. I have stayed in hotels where all you can hear is the party next door or people stomping on the floor above you, but it always seemed quiet to me when we were in the room.

There are thousands of beautiful and exquisite hotels in San Francisco from what I saw when I was there. I would gladly stay at the Adante Hotel again. I was extremely pleased with the service and quality. You would never expect it from passing by, but it really was a pleasant stay here. I would recommend it to couples, singles and people enjoying the sites of the city. I probably wouldn't recommend it for families unless you get 2 rooms just because the rooms are a tad bit smaller than your run-of-the-mill Motel 6 (but better quality). The hotel is also right on the Geary Street bus line which runs every 10 minutes during the day.

Give it a try. I think you'll agree.

Not that cheap, not that nice

by TripAdvisor Member issyK

We stayed at the Adante for about $80 after taxes in an attempt to save money. The building itself is sort of musty, and the rooms are not much better. Bad carpet, unkempt bathrooms, and worst of all, bed bugs. Staff was fine. Did not use the cafe/bar but it did not look like much. Very much a hostel environment. "Free breakfast" consists of meager coffee and croissants.
Do not recommend unless you bring your own sheets and are really strapped for cash.

good times

we (few friends and I) had a great time at the Adante. Staff was friendly and helpful. We'll stay there again as this is an affordable place well maintained; plus it is right downtown.

Not a bad little hotel

by TripAdvisor Member wintersallen

Location was great for the price. Neighborhood wasn't bad, if you're coming from Union Square. I wouldn't recommend walking further down Geary than the hotel, though. We did have a problem with the cable service -- the hotel didn't have an NBC channel, and CBS was horribly scrambled for 4 of the 7 days we were there and the non-manangement hotel staff didn't seem to care. The internet cafe in the hotel was very convenient, and if you bring your laptop you can access the internet from the lobby or your room. If you don't have an ethernet cable, the front desk will loan you one for free. If you arrive before 3pm for check-in, you can do early check-in for $10.

Great for Finding Nemo

Stayed here last May. Initial impressions were a little negative but staff were very friendly and complimentary breakfast was great. The location was excellent and overall was very enjoyable stay. Will stay again definately. Do not be put off by the the fish tank theme rooms.

excellent affordable hotel

if you want a hotel with some character (they have murals in all rooms) this hotel is a must. it is in a great location near union square. the staff are very friendly and very helpful. it has an internet cafe/bar attached, and staff here are great too. i would highly recommend this to anyone who wants a great experience in San Fransisco and for all budget travellers.

Close to Union Square

I found this hotel to be a great base, I mean who needs a luxuary hotel, when you're going to be out all day and then just need somewhere to rest your head at night? It was really cheap to stay here with lastminute, we paid £25 a night for our room! It's a 5 minute walk from union square and getting on trolleys etc, near some bars and restaurants and the staff are really helpful and really friendly. Ok the rooms aren't decorated to the best of taste, but it added some amusement to our video diary! I would stay here again!

Downtown Area

by SKITTLES1933

I was thinking of changing my reservation from Castle Inn to either the Fitzgerald or the Adante but heard the neighborhood they are in is questionable. Can anyone tell me what the aea near these hotels is actually ilke?

Re: Re: Downtown Area

by SKITTLES1933

Fitzgerald:
620 Post Street
San Francisco, California 94109, United States

Adante:
610 Geary Street | (formerly Quality Inn At Union Square)
San Francisco, California 94102, United States

Re: Re: Downtown Area

by JoeNYC

I've stayed in the Union Square area of San Fran many times. While there are a lot of homeless and junkies around, that's just something that you have to accept in San Fran. The city is loaded with them, just don't let them bother you. The city is pretty safe all in all. I wouldn't get yourself too worried about safety if I were you.

Re: Downtown Area

by Carlina

The Fitzgerald is in a fairly safe area. I don't know the Adante. However, there is quite a reliable website for San Francisco hotels and other San Francisco information called SFStation. I'm sure you will be able to find accomodations to suit you. Have a great trip. San Francisco is such a lovely city.

Re: Downtown Area

by joscadi

My opinion is solely based on location since I have not stayed at either hotels. Both hotels are seprated by only one block (Post Street is above Geary). The seedy parts of this area is around O' Farell St. and further up on both Post and Geary.

I would pick the Fitzgerald on Post St. There are some some really good restaurants in the area. If you like Thai food, there is THAI Ginger next door. There is also Postrio for Italian food a block away. For good Indonesian, there are two on that street - Borobudur in one block up and Indonesia Restaruant is the same block as the Fitzgerald.

I used to work at 420 Post Street.

By the way, be preapared to be begged for money. There are panhandlers everywhere, even in the best parts of SFO, but particuarly so in the Union Square Area.

This is also close to Chinatown, more or less. Just walk down Post towards Union Square and make a laft on Stockton Street. China town is just past the tunnel. If I walk it, it takes me about 20 mins. but I walk fast and have long legs.

If you have any more questions, let me know as SFO is my home.

Comments