Argent Hotel

Expedia.com Westin.com Priceline.com

Costs 60% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• heryanta's Profile Photo

Another excellent hotel

This hotel used to be called the "Argent" but has been purchased by the Starwood group.
    Stayed here for 3 nights around Thanksgiving holiday:

Room - very good
    Rather small (around 250sqft) but very modern with fresh clean colors of white and pastel. The large screen flat screen TV was great, so was the in-room Starbucks coffee. Bed and lazy chair were both very comfy

Location - very good
    Located on Market & Third, which means you are about 5 minutes from Westfield (Bloomingdale's) on foot, and about 10 minutes from Union Square. BART station Montgomery is 1 block away

Service - good
    24 hour room service, fitness center (which I did not use) and a business center. The only complaint I have regarding service is they charge a lot of money for using the internet ($15/day, I'm more used to paying $10).

Price - very good
    I arrived on a Saturday and was eligible for their "3 nights for the price of 2" promotion and paid around $150/night - all inclusive.

Overall - very good
    I will definitely use this hotel again.

Miscellaneous: the whole building is non-smoking, which sucked (well for me at least...)

Directions: Market & Third

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

San Francisco's Newest Westin

With a three day date with the Moscone Center in San Francisco for work, I decided to look up the closest hotels that would also meet my criteria to get Starwood points. It turns out that there are several choices within walking distance, which then meant I had options!

I chose to go with the Westin Market Street, as it was now the newest edition to the Starwood portfolio in SF. It was a great choice in my opinion! When you walk in the front, you are immediately greeted by the beautiful scent of flowers in the lobby. The check in staff was very competent, and were gracious enough to give me an early check in at 11am. I was upgraded to a corner room suite which has a nice sitting room, and there are two 42 inch flat panel TVs, one in the sitting room and one in the bedroom. I also walked to the Moscone Center (which I can see from the window) and it is two blocks, with plenty of coffee locations in between in case you need a drink before your conference.

• PolyAna's Profile Photo

Sweet Views

Stayed here w/ a bunch of friends for a birthday... We had a highrise room and the views were to DIE for...Ask for a higher floor...

Unique Quality: Great views from the higher floors.. Right in the middle of town.. AWESOME bathrooms...

• fizzer67's Profile Photo

Great Hotel

Brilliant service, professional employees, very friendly!

Unique Quality: Extremely clean and tidy, modern decoration. This hotel is in the heart of the Mission District within 2 mins walk to Union Sqare.

A very nice place to stay. If you book online it was £40.00 with a free upgrade upon arrival.

Directions: Mission District, on 3rd St

• Argent Hotel - no fun...

This is an older business hotel. Really a no-frills place. You can't open the window, the A/C roars like a truck, the breakfast is expensive. Also no free internet. But you can go on the 2nd or 3rd floor and get the conference WLAN there for free. Also the elevator logic is strange.
    If you can find another place, go there.

Unique Quality: From above the 20th floor on the south side of the building you get a fantastic unobstructed view of San Francisco and the north bay. You can also see Twin Peaks.

Directions: Just south of Market, close to Moscone Center

More about Argent Hotel

Nice aesthetics, poor service

The Argent Hotel in San Francisco was recommended to me by a business associate, I will most definitely not extend a recommendation for the Argent Hotel. I stayed at the Argent for two nights, 8/14 & 15 and the problems commenced upon check in. The rooms were reserved on a company American Express card and were supposed to be pre-paid. Upon check-in, the clerk insisted that I give him one of my credit cards; which was fine because I was under the impression that since the rooms were pre-paid so my card would be used to cover service items such as valet parking and meals. But even after I told him that the rooms were pre-paid, he continued to charge the rooms to my card. After registration was complete, I noted that I was charged twice for the room, I tried to resolve this issue with the clerk but he assured me that there was nothing he could do. I than asked to see the manager. The manager had to double check everything that the clerk had already done, and asked me all the same questions, she than saw that the room was indeed pre-paid. After check-in, everything seemed to be quite nice. The rooms are well appointed and the public areas are very pleasing. The next morning I went to retrieve my car out of valet; after I got in the car I had realized that I was missing all the keys off the ring except a valet key. I asked the valet attendant what had happened to the two master keys to my rental car, and he said that he had no idea and I should check my bags. I told him that when I arrived the day before, the hotel entrance was very busy and a different valet attendant told me to leave the car running (thus the key in the ignition) and my bags and car would be taken car of. He assured me that I was lying and had no idea what I was talking about. I know that when I received the car at the airport, it had two Cadillac master keys, and a plain gray valet key. I don’t park cars for a living, and subsequently have no use for a valet key. After the valet attendant had raised his voice to me, I asked him to call the manager so we could get this issue resolved, he replied that he was the manager. So, I asked him to call the hotel manager, the same woman who had to take care of the billing issue the day before. After about 10 minutes passed, the manager came out and got my and the valet attendant’s versions of the story. After she had spoken with both of us, she gave me a breakfast coupon, and said that they would look for my keys. A breakfast coupon…I would at least expect a refund on the parking ($39) but I suppose you have to pay that much, plus tips, just to get your keys stolen and get called a liar. Now because it was a rental car, I can’t hold too much of a grudge on them for stealing the keys, but if it were my own car, it would be a different story. I can however say that the service was much under expectations, and should have been more professional for a hotel in this league. If you have stayed at the Argent and had noticed lost items from your vehicle (ex: keys, cell phones, etc.) you should try calling the valet booth; while speaking to the valet attendant, he opened a drawer full of keys and phones. If you’re looking for a comfortable, convenient, luxury hotel…try the Four Seasons.

Great Location

Overall, I was very happy with the hotel. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the location is great - easy walking distance to Union Square, shopping and excellent transit access to all the tourist sites.

I was attracted to the the hotel by the great internet deals, however, it did come at a price. Our first night was fine but night two our floor was mobbed by a group of high school atheletes likely on the same internet deal. The kids were rowdy and, needless to say, we hardly got any sleep. The hotel did resolve the problem by moving us to another floor for the remainder of our stay.

If you are planning a tourist adventure to San Francisco, I still believe that this hotel should remain as one of your top choices. If you are contemplating a hotel around Fisherman's Warf, don't. It is an overated tourist trap. Besides, the warf is accessible by a 15min transit ride from the Argent.

Bravo!

We stayed two nights at the Argent in Aug 2004. The location is great! Cabs regularly stop for hire. We had rented a car but quickly realized that a car is more of a liability! Parking at the Argent is $36.50 per night if you don't get the 'park & play' rate. The rooms are tastefully decorated with one of the most comfortable beds I've slept in. They have down comforters and crisp sheets. The bathroom tub/shower does need a little work though. Ours had some minor mold in the grout. Other than that, the hotel is great and we will definitely stay here again!

An excellent option in the Union Square district

by TripAdvisor Member John987654321

I regularly attend conferences in downtown SF and I've tried a lot of hotels over the years. I spent a week at the Argent last time and -- as long as I can get a good discount on the rack rate! -- I'll stay there again. I've been lucky to stay in hotels elsewhere with an even higher standard of service, but I could find nothing to fault here. Stylish decoration, large comfortable beds, spotlessly clean, spectacular views, helpful staff. I didn't eat in the hotel restaurant at all, but the food at a reception we held was excellent.

disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member kittykatBoston_Ma

The only thing going for the Argent as judged by my 3 night experience last week are the Concierge and parking staff. After checking the website and reading all the preview emails from the Argent before our arrival, I was excited towards our stay for our first trip to San Francisco. In my mind, the floor to ceiling windows left me with a beautiful vision we would see of the beautiful skyline of San Francisco. Since we arrived from Boston at close to 2 A.M., I somewhat brushed off the aloofness of the front desk clerk who checked us in thinking he may have been as tired as we were after our journey of 11 hours to get there. A "good morning" would have been appreciated. We found our room assigned to us on the 7th floor, rushed to draw the curtain to take peak at the lovely view described of the skyline. Gee, we had a dark and vacant office building to our left, a parking garage to our right, and the vents(?) to the building below us. Not quite the view I was expecting. Being exhausted, I just crashed to get a few hours of good sleep. (I must admit the mattresses were very comfortable.) That good night sleep was impossible.......our room was abutting the elevators!! Well, In the morning, I expected to see quite a busy lobby,"perhaps booked to capacity"... maybe justifying the worst located room.. Well, I didn't see the overabundance of guests floating around the quiet lobby, so at this point I was very disappointed and felt very misled by the Argent's website and the front desk clerk. In all the 5 hotels we stayed during our California vacation, every one offered a friendly courteous greeting and an option of room choice except the Argent. So for three aggravating nights, we put up with the elevator shafts and the not so lovely view. The "customer service" just was not there. Sorry to say, when I do a return trip to San Francisco, I will not stay at the Argent. I wish the ene- mene-mine-mo landed on the Hyatt.

Rent A Car in San Francisco downtown

by karimi1

I am staying at Westin San Francisco Market Street in May. I need to rent a car for day while staying there, and would like to return the car late at night (around 10-11 pm) to avoid $50 parking at the hotel.

Most of the rent-a-car companies that I have checked, are not open for returns this late in the evening.

Please let me know if you know of a company that will take returns late at ngiht.
Thanks

by virtual786

Probably be best thing for you to do is to take BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) from downtown San Franscisco to San Francisco Airport. It doesn't take very long and is cheap.

Renting a car at the airport is less expensive than in the city and most of the car rental companies are open 24 hours a day. BART runs probably until midnight; better check.

by nomad7890

Not sure why you want to rent a car in SF - ? You will be paying parking anywhere you go during the day. SF has good transportation.

If you *must* have a car, you could always drop it off at the airport (SFO) and take public transportation back to your hotel - however you may want to check how late the Hertz on Mason street is open.

by nomad7890

Hertz on Mason Street is the closest to the Westin - I have stayed at that Westin many times. I usually fly into/stop in San Jose for personal reasons, so I pick up a car, run my errands in SJ and drop it off in SF by the Westin. Normally there's no drop off between SJ and SF, but it is best to check as different rental companies or contract types may incur drop off charges.

by karimi1

Thanks for all the help.
I am thinking about a day trip from SFO to somewhere nearby, where BART does not go.

Hertz at Mason is the only that I have found that takes returns till 1000 pm at night.

I will check Avis and enterprise as well

by nomad7890

Well, do the SFO dropoff ... or maybe stay overnight where you're going instead of doing a daytrip, if feasible - you can return the car the next day.

Comments