321 Grant Ave, San Francisco, California, 94108, United States

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Rated 18% higher but also costs 61% more than other 2 star hotels

• brumsch's Profile Photo

Affordable Accommodations: A Well-Kept SF Secret

Hotel rooms in San Francisco are always in demand, therefore, the prices don't tend to fluctuate much. However, I would suggest looking at non-chain, boutique style hotels for an affordable option. There are plenty of 2 and 3 star hotels with basic, but clean and well-cared for, rooms for under $100 a night. We stayed at the Baldwin Hotel, which was simple but nice and in an EXCELLENT location - just steps to Union Square, Market Street, and the Chinatown gate – for about $80 per night, which was a great deal for this world-class city. I would definitely stay here again.

Unique Quality: The Baldwin is on a quiet, safe block of Grant Street, just south of the Chinatown gate. Due to the location, getting around the city on foot or by streetcar is easy and convenient, allowing you to experience all those sights you want to see.

The rooms are small, but that is not uncommon for SF. The bathrooms have been recently remodeled and the street noise was minimal.

Directions: just east of Union Square, three blocks north of Market Street

• Bregman's Profile Photo

Baldwin Hotel

A nice and clean hotel right next to Grant Av. Chinatown gate. The Baldwin hotel is located in the center of San Francisco downtwon, a short walk from Chinatown, Union Square and Market street. You can either walk or take public transportation from here to most places in San Francisco. The hotel is basic, no fancy features. The rooms have a bed (or two), a bathroom, a phone and a TV. There is a computer in the lobby if you need internet access, but you will need to pay for it.

Directions: Right next to the Grant Av. Chinatown gate

More about Baldwin Hotel

A big up for Baldwin!

by TripAdvisor Member AnnaMats

I'm so glad we took a look at this tripadvisor site before we made reservations because like the others below we are completely satisfied with Baldwin Hotel.
We took a room w/ two doublebeds and it had a walk-in-closet and a very clean bathroom w/ a spacious bathtub.
No view what so ever but that didn't matter since we were seldom in our room. The location was fab! Close to everything, cable cars, attractions, shops...you name it.
Very friendly staff as well.
The only thing that was annoying - and the hotel had no part in that -was a saxophone player that unfortunately had his spot right under our window and who played the same tune over and over again...aaargh.
But apart from that we sincerely recommend this hotel to everyone who travels on a reasonably low budget.

Great Find

by TripAdvisor Member shirleycoppard

My husband and I had an excellent stay at the Baldwin Hotel (Oct 21-26). The staff were very friendly even at 11 pm when we checked in. The room was large with a spacious walk in closet. The bathroom was spotless and looked new. The room was thoroughly cleaned everyday and we had no complains whatsoever. There was fresh coffee in the foyer everyday......way better than Starbucks a few doors away. The hotel is close to Chinatown and other cafe's, restaurants and to main sights.
We highly recommend this to all travellers to San Fran. With regards to the saxophone player.....his repertoire wasn't great but it was very nice having music drifting up into your room after a very long day of sightseeing........seemed like the real deal.
Overall...great , would love to go back again

Charming, central hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Kiwi08

The most comfortable bed we had in our six week trip. An unbelivable location right outside the Chinatown gates and near Union Square and the cable car line.

We wish we could have stayed for longer than our 2 night stay.

What a great hotel!!

by TripAdvisor Member 4ever_travels

The best deal in San Francisco. Excellent hotel, nice price, great location, clean and pleasant rooms, kind staff, prime location, safe area. I checked other hotels I had seen advertised for the same price, and the Baldwin is truly much better.

Great Location, Great Price

by TripAdvisor Member sbinlex

We were amazed how centrally located this hotel was, for the cheap price per night. We would suggest getting a room with the gigantic clawfoot tub, perfect for soaking worn out legs from walking up and down the hills! The room itself was in need of a fresh coat of paint, etc., but for the price you can't get a better location.

It's wonderful to be able to step out the front door and see the gate to Chinatown and the best shopping in town! Not to mention how close you are to the public transit and cable cars! You're never too far from great food, Chinatown's dim sum is excellent and there's tons of continental and "fancy" restaurants just down the block.

The staff was very courteous and willing to help with anything. Do be cautious of the room door locks, we're not sure what happened but it seems like the door keys open more doors than just your door, but we're not certain. Overall a great place to stay!

Great Hotel and Great Locations!!!! Only One Concern

by TripAdvisor Member Grandstrand

The hotel location was great. Extremely clean. Close to ChinaTown and the shopping district. My wife and I stayed her for two nights and were able to walk to everything. Hotel offers a discounted rate at a nearby parking garage which worked perfect for our stay. My only negative was the noise in the room next to the elevator. The elevator cable beat the walls when moving from floor to floor. I think rooms 201, 301, 401.... are next to the elevator. Other than this one detail, I would highly receommend this hotel.

Good hotel, though noisy

by TripAdvisor Member foil_swan

This hotel is quaint, clean and situated close to San Francisco's Union Square. The staff members were kind and helpful, and we got a great deal for a weekend night using Travelocity. The room was simple and clean -- nothing fancy, but nice. The shower was an old-fashioned bathtub with curtains that go around the entire perimeter. Our experience was generally good except for the following:

- There was a considerable amount of noise outside our room at 8 a.m. on Saturday morning. It sounded like glass bottles being dumped into a garbage bin or truck.
- The old-fashioned furnace in the room made it incredibly hot, and it wasn't clear how to turn it down or off.
- The hotel has a deal with a nearby parking garage for $20, which is actually a good deal. However, it's a couple blocks away, with no valet service to the garage. Not a fun walk back to the hotel if it's late at night & cold!

Nothing fancy but still liked it

by TripAdvisor Member MspTripper

This place is a terrific bargain for San Francisco. As described in other reviews it is nothing fancy and in fact the rooms are rather spartan but the bed was very comfortable, it's well located and considering the location the street noise is not bad. I was traveling by myself when I stayed here and it met my criteria for something that wasn't a budget buster but still well located and a place that I would feel comfortable as a solo female. I arrived on a late flight and after asking the front desk clerk if it was safe I ventured out to a 7Eleven to get a snack at 2am and felt ok doing it.

Clean, Comfortable Hotel In Excellent Location

by TripAdvisor Member nicManchester

My husband and I stayed for a week at this hotel. The location is very convenient (1 min walk from Chinatown, shops etc), lots of trams/trolleys/buses nearby also very easy to walk to most places. We also felt very safe walking around at night (some of the other hotels in this price range were in dodgy areas). The room was very clean, the bed very comfortable and i would definitely recommend this hotel to a friend.

Chinatown lodging

by tsmanio

I'm looking for someplace to stay in Chinatown over Christmas week that has authentic Chinese surroundings. All the hotels, b&b's, etc. advertised in Chinatown aren't really in Chinatown. Plus, they look modern and sterile. We want to have an ethnic experience where we will really feel like we are in China rather than in California (where we live). Even a noisy, "hole-in-the-wall" works if it's not dirty.

by goodfish

I'm sure someone will jump in here but I don't think there's a lot of hotels in the Chinatown area. And as for authentic? Much of the architecture of Chinatown was really built for tourists - it's really not, from what I read, authentic to China at all.

by Odinnthor

If you are looking for a "Shanghai 1930s" type hotel, you will have a difficult time. Likely the best would be the Baldwin Hotel, right by the China Gate on Grant Street. Here is the hotel, and some photos of Grant Street to orientate you.

by gail128

Hi Kate.. I will jump in. The closest "clean" hotel is on Grant and Pine but is not an "authentic" Chinatown hotel. I don't think there's such a place. Grant Ave and Stockton street are fairly authentic. You can walk around there for days and get the experience. But it's nothing like China. We are Chinese Americans... Chinatown is "Americanized".

by alza

I stayed at a great hole in the wall, The Tortoise Hostel, one block from Grant Ave, where Columbus crosses diagonally. Very close to Chinatown.
The place was clean.
The rooms were not noisy at all, the lounge/dining was more so but then, it's party all the time there.

Never enquired whether they have private rooms.

But perhaps that's really not your taste. That's ok. :)

by gail128

I thought of another place: Royal Pacific Motor Inn on 661 Broadway Street. 800-545-5574. This is in the heart of Chinatown. BUT it's a modern hotel. Never stayed there myself becasue I live in SF. It's a decent hotel and reasonably priced. It will be a bit noisy alright.

by Cruiseone2003

How about the Grant Plaza hotel, it's in chinatown and seems quite nice.

Comments