Best Western The Hotel California San Francisco

580 Geary Street, (formerly The Savoy Hotel), San Francisco, California, 94102, United States

The Hotel California - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality
Hotels.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Costs 39% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• mi5chelle's Profile Photo

Excellent, central location- great amenities

I stayed here for 5 nights in March 2005 and it was excellent.
    The rooms are a bit small for some tastes, but it was perfect for me.

If you check in at night, the receptionist is a bit brisque and stressed, but the day staff is helpful.

Unique Quality: They give you a tequilla shot upon arrival and there is free wine and cheese happy hour every evening 4-6pm.

Free internet access for guests.

Attached to the best, stylish, hippest vegetarian restaurant, Millennium, in the city.

Directions: Corner of Geary and Jones St.

• Cabana_Boy's Profile Photo

The Savoy Hotel

A single room with private bathroom runs around $106 USD.

Unique Quality: For a decent price, the Savoy is a relatively short distance from all the shopping, theaters, art galleries and other activities found around Union Square. They also serve up wine and cheese daily for happy hour.

Directions: 580 Geary Street, San Francisco CA. 94102
    or on the web at http://www.thesavoyhotel.com. The Savoy is about 3 or 4 blocks from Union Square on Geary Street.

More about Best Western The Hotel California San Francisco

Online Reservation

Beware of booking online. You will not receive a confirmation email. Since I did not receive an email confirming my reservation, I booked elsewhere and was charged a no show fee. Shame on me but shame on Savoy Hotel for not providing a simple service such as a confirmation email as all other hotels I've booked around the world do.

For tourists with more Euros than taste - in a word "Yuck"

by TripAdvisor Member Beverlina

So sad...

The Savoy had been a family secret. Ideal location, great value and, while not the most modern of facilities, agreeable to the eye with its French provincial/Bistro feel and especially pleasing to the pocketbook. We had stayed here many times, but not since the chain Joie de Vivre had sold it.

It was with much (unfortunately justified) trepidation that I booked what was to be my last stay there. The changes were apparent the instant I walked in the door. "Free Tequila shot upon registration" the sign next to the cheap tequila declared.

Upon walking into our room, the first thing I saw was a mirror with a little brass sign "YOU are the star!" Across from it, a mini-surfboard with a map of California on it. And there... in the same room containing the stodgy, tired old world furniture, were photographs of surfers, and pseudo-famous quotes about California written on the walls. Whoever decorated these rooms is completely colorblind! Colors clashed with each other, and old furniture competed (believe me, I do enjoy eclectic styles, but this was beyond redemption) with bedspreads not even the Salvation Army would accept and some kind of turf-like carpeting, all encompassed in rooms with walls painted screaming yellow and vivid pistachio green. Yeow!

The Savoy still has many excellent qualities. Its location is unbeatable if you wish to be near Union Square. The staff is responsive, friendly and extremely helpful. The price is still good (though I will be happy to pay a few dollars more to stay elsewhere... and heaven knows, San Francisco has so many excellent choices). They still offer free wine, cheese and fruit to their guests between 5 and 6pm. The old bistro-style restaurant has been replaced with a hip and extremely successful Vegan restaurant... Millenium.

Other things to keep in mind... the windows are not double-paned, so even on the 5th floor, the noisy street sounds are ever-present.

Joie de Vivre has opened a new hotel just a few doors down that will probably be my San Francisco home-away-from-home from now on: the gorgeous Adagio.

Lovely hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ivanwatling

We moved to this hotel after spending a horrendous night at the Travelodge a couple of blocks away. The room was very comfortable and well decorated, and felt luxurious compared with the Travelodge even though it was not much more expensive. Staying here made our trip to San Francisco a wonderful experience.

The Savoy Hotel is Wonderful!

My 8 year old son and I stayed at the Savoy Hotel in March, 2005. From the time we walked in until the time we left, we were treated wonderfully. The staff was professional from the manager to the cleaning people. There were video games available for my son in the room - which he was more than happy about - me too, and the room was perfect for our stay. The room was bright and homey. All of our needs were taken care of in a timely manner and I'd recommend this hotel to EVERYONE. The only downside is because it's located in downtown San Francisco, it can be a little noisy - bring earplugs - they made a real difference. Enjoy!

What a disappointment!

by TripAdvisor Member MGTraveler7

When we arrived at the Savoy, we were given a very small room (the smallest I have ever stayed in, including the much much cheaper Motel 6 and such). There was just enough space to get around the bed. The window looked out onto a wall ten feet away. The steet noise kept us awake much of the night, even though we were on the seventh floor! The bathroom was also very small, and the water in the shower changed temperature constantly.
The location was pretty good (although at the edge of Union Square). However, many hotels in that area probably do a better job in room design and upkeep.
Ultimately, our Savoy experience rated low on comfort.

Don't stay at the Savoy Hotel on Geary

by TripAdvisor Member sylhil

My husband and I just returned from a short business trip to San Francisco. We stayed at the Savoy Hotel for 3 nights. The first room they put us in had mould growing in the shower and the carpet was filthy. They begrudgingly changed our room. This room had a toilet-full of something and when we tried to flush it, the toilet overflowed all over the floor. We phoned the front desk and they sent someone up to plunge it. We had to beg them to wash the floor and give us new towels or a new room, but they said the hotel was full. The carpets were also filthy and there was not chair in the room, or anywhere to sit except the bed.
We booked this over the internet, and their write-up said that the hotel had been completely redone - Parisienne style. Not so!
We just didn't feel the room was clean, and it wasn't.
On the up-side, the afternoon wine and cheese was good, we took a plateful of cheese and grapes back to our room, and 2 glasses of wine, which was not too bad.
We were very glad to leave and we will not be going back to this hotel - ever!

Good and Bad

by TripAdvisor Member BoogsieMatthews_NC

This hotel is between a great neighborhood and an unsavory one. Because of our short one-night stay, we didn't walk outside and don't know if it would have been a problem. The restaurant, all vegan, is absolutely excellent as was the service. The rooms, which were small, as to be expected in a hotel in a large downtown, were very charming, attractive and comfortable. However, 1) No one offered to help us with our luggage on arrival and 2) the same desk clerk was uncommunicative, unwelcoming, and unhelpful on both arrival and departure. (6/23 and 6/24/05)

Lovely little hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Browaman

This hotel was a great one!!!! It was pretty cheap, considering the location. Right downtown. The rooms were small, but CLEAN, and the bathroom was small, but CLEAN... but really, how much time do you end up staying in your hotel on your trip???!!! Had wine & cheese hour... not too bad, and they give you some complimentary fruit & chocolate after your first night.... Would love to stay again, no problems whatsoever!!!

Comments