Broadway Manor Inn

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 105% more than similarly rated 2 star hotels

• SF_Grrl's Profile Photo

Great Deal Supurb Location

This is a basic no frills place that is clean, in an excellent neighborhood near the Marina, North Beach and the Wharf. I paid $54 a night - you can't get a better rate at some hostels for a private room.
    Van Ness is a busy road so there is some traffic noise. I'm used to busy urban places but if your a light sleeper might be a problem.
    Lots of restaurants and bars in this area on Polk and over in North Beach - cheaper than the overrated Wharf. They have wi fi internet it is spotty but there's a kinko's just a few blocks south on Van Ness with wi fi and plenty of p.c.s I've seen some people complain about this place. Well you pay for what you get - which suited my needs just fine. If you want ameneties up the wazoo pay big bucks for the Hyatt, etc which in SF are insanely expensive.

Unique Quality: Great safe location, near Marina, North Beach, Wharf. close to cafes, bars, has parking

Directions: Russian Hill

Van Ness (Hwy 101)@Broadway

• GUYON's Profile Photo

Good choice

We wished to have a hotel located downtown, with a private parking and a fair price. We choose this hotel at Lombard and Van Ness.
    We reserved a room for two : 113$ tax include through Travelocity.

Unique Quality: Large room, clean. Window overlooking the gallery.
    Not noisy but we heard the trucks in Van Ness. Choose a room upstair to avoid the noise of the cars in the court.
    Bath room with tub and shower.
    Elevator.
    TV, fridge, micro wave, iron + iron board, hair dryer, phone. No coffee maker.

Free parking in the court but the car can be blocked by an other (pay attention if you have to leave early in the morning).
    Friendly and helpful staff.

Restaurants : in the hotel, the Peter D's, open for the breakfast at 7AM and for lunch. No Diner. Good and not expensive. For the breakfast sit at the bar because there is a tip surcharge if you stay at a table.
    Other restaurants nearby especially Polk Street.

A grocery at 1 block North.

Neighborhood safe. 25 min walking distance from the Piers or Market street.
    Several bus lines.

Reservation : 1.800.727.6239

Directions: Follow the 101 North. It goes Van Ness avenue

More about Broadway Manor Inn

Great city - Nice Motel

Visiting family in towns like San Francisco and New York is never easy on the wallet but Broadway Manor Inn had really nice rooms at $62 plus tax per night (including a free spot for my rental car). Definitely in my cost spending budget :o). My room was clean and comfortable. The free internet access was great -- I was able to search for different things to do in San Francisco late in the evening. I was pleasantly surprised to find everyone in San Francisco (inside and outside of the motel) so helpful and kind. AJ from the front desk even helped me carry my bags into the Airport Shuttle Bus upon checking out. Although it's not 5 star accommodations, you get a lot more for your dollar at the Inn then you would at any fancy place with huge lobbies and pricey parking costs!

Not bad

If you want basic accomodation, this is the hotel for you. It's a clean and comfortable motel in a good location for a really good price. We booked it for $56 a night for two double beds off Travelocity, but later saw in the hotel discount books (available at hotels and restaurants in California), that they offer the same room for only $49 a night with the coupon - one queen bed is only $44. Free parking is great. It's close to the bus and restaurants, so just park the car and leave it there. The only downside is that with such good rates, the motel attracts unsavory guests who like to shout to each other with their room doors open until the wee hours, hang out drinking beer on the balconies and smoke pot at 8am (as did the people in the room next to us). Going around the city, we did notice that there are a lot of other motels of this type, including Castle Inn and Nob Hill Inn. They seem slightly more upscale, if you don't mind paying a few dollars more.

great location, nice price!

rate was cheap (64 $ for double room with king size bed), location very good (we could walk to most sights) and free parking is a real asset! staff was very nice, room clean - we enjoyed our stay very much!

Okay

The room was fine. It was outdated but clean. I did get a glance of a room that had not been "renovated". (I wouldn't stay in it no matter what the price.) Everything worked. No AC but didn't need one. Noisy but that is to be expected. The location is very good and the attached restaurant is convenient for breakfast. Free parking a major bonus. When we checked in the owner of the motel gave us a sales pitch. He was insistent about how hard it was to park in San Francisco and that we should take a tour. When we said "no thanks" he told us that he could get us a "discount" - the tour operator was one of his friends. Other than that, there was no helpful advice, maps or brochures in the lobby. We only booked one night via internet and decided to stay an extra night once we decided on an itinerary. The price went from $57 on the internet to $80 in person - on a weekday.

a skid row tenement would be nicer

we unfortunately booked into this hotel thruough hotels.com because the reviews weren't bad. when we arrived, the manager was on the phone fielding a complaint from another prospective guest. he told us that the man was mad because some of the rooms were being renovated, explaining that since it was a family owned hotel, they could not afford to close the hotel and do it all at once, but rather, renovate a few rooms at a time. sounds reasonable, doesn't it?? we were then given the key to our room. for starters, one wall was half painted, with paint chips on the carpet. the tv, which barely worked, was sitting to the right of us, on the dresser, on top of an old stained towel. the two lamps on either side of the bed did not work, and the hanging lamp across from us was torn in several places. i can see the need to renovate rooms, but my advice to management would be, DON'T ASSIGN THE ROOM TO A GUEST BEFORE THE RENOVATION IS DONE!!!!! luckily, i called hotels.com, and they were nice enough to credit my credit card for the two nights we booked (the hotel would not) and we got out of there as fast as possible. i don't think this place gets my highest recommendation.

It's Not That Bad!

by TripAdvisor Member justme13

I read the reviews and was a little hesitant, but considering the cost of this hotel is less than $90/night compared to other hotels in San Fran in the $200+ range, this wasn't that bad! Last year I stayed at the Hotel Serrano, where I paid $200/night and was told by the bellman, this isn't a bad neighborhood, as long as you don't go "that way..." as he pointed over his shoulder. I eventually ended up checking out of the Serrano and moving to the Hyatt, and wasn't as lucky through travelocity at getting reimbursed for paying for a room I didn't stay in! At the Broadway I wasn't concerned one bit which way I walked. It was a very nice neighborhood, but busy with traffic due to Van Ness being a major street.

The front desk personnel were very nice. The location is convenient, within walking distance to the wharf, chinatown, the cable cars, lombard street, etc. Some of the hills can be a challenge though depending upon which way you go. The free parking is an awesome deal, considering most places charge about $20 - $30 for parking. The parking area was kind of tight, and I felt my vehicle was safe.

The room smelled a little musty like the carpet had been cleaned, but the beds were better than some of the places where I paid $200/night. No air, but it really wasn't needed this time of year, the fridge, coffee maker, microwave, tv all worked fine. The noise wasn't THAT bad either. Except for the people that stayed above us and had to stomp their feet as they walked! People-wake up and realize - there are people above and below you - just be a little considerate of others and half the noise problems wouldn't exist. Even the attached coffee shop was nice, and the service quick and food very good.

Overall when you compare the less than $90/rate against the $200/night rate, it's a very good deal if you want the convenience of staying in the city and avoid driving. But if you want glitz and glamour, and want to pay for it, stay at one of the wharf hotels where you'll pay more than double, for just another place to sleep!

I'd go back again as long as the price stays in this range. If it gets much higher than this, and I still want to save money, I'd stay at one of the cheaper hotels near the airport or even in Oakland and drive into the city and park each day, then just ride the cable car or muni around. Transportation in the city is a breeze, but sometimes there are long waits. Just plan accordingly and you'll have a good time.

Great Budget Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member orangetime

It's across the street from Castle Inn, the location is terrific with Polk St (restaurants, shops, bars) a couple blocks away and free parking. Considering the price and location, we were really surprised to find large rooms, a microwave, fridge + coffemaker. We stayed in a room that hadn't been renovated yet, and liked it just fine - the decor was actually kind of interesting and not that worn. While the noise from Van Ness is something to consider, it is a very safe and walkable area. I was surprised to read the bad reviews here on this hotel - I always ask to see the room before buying, and maybe that's saved me from the more run-down rooms in budget hotels. I think if you're a do-it-yourselfer and a little low maintenance, you'll love this place. We were with our toddler and this hotel gave us nothing to be concerned about.

Accommodation in San Fran & Nappa

by JKEM

Hi

I will be travelling to San Francisco in the first week of October.

I am on a budget and would appreciate suggestions for places to stay in both San Fran and the Nappa Valley. Hotels, guest houses or even good hostels.

Does anyone know of any good tours (possibly staying overnight) in the Nappa Valley.

This is my first trip to San Fran and I am coming over from Australia.

Thank you.
JKEM

by GUYON

In June we stayd in the Broadway Manor Inn and payd 113$ tax include for a double room.
The hotel is at the corner of Van Ness and Broadway in downtown.
It provides a free parking to its guests which must be considered to appreciate the price.

by Saijin_Spooker

Avoid the Youth Hostel in Ellis Street and the hotels around that area, unless you will only be travelling in the daytime and you are very confident.

I stayed there for a two weeks when I was at a convention and the hostel was friendly, but the surrounding area was very dangerous. When I was walking at night I had at least 2-3 people call out to me, follow me, or try and scam me each day.

Also be careful of people that chat to seem frriendly and offer to show you places. Not everyone will do it, but quite a lot followed me, had no idea of where they were taking me, then asked for some money!
A lot kept offering to sell me "stuff".

That aside, San Fran is a lovely city, and I highly recomend a side trip on a coach to see the Redwood forest a little way from the city!

Re: Re: Accommodation in San Fran & Nappa

by Rixie

If you don't need to be near downtown San Francisco, the Cow Hollow Motor Inn (Lombard near Steiner) is good. It's in a neighborhood -- Chestnut Street-Marina -- near shops and restaurants and the Muni bus. Frommer's 2004 was listing room rates as $86-125 double. Ask for a room away from Lombard, which is the main street and gets noisy.

When you go to Napa, don't overlook Sonoma, in the next valley.

by joesorce

www.sanremohotel.com

www.greentortoise.com

by wiamy

i would bid a hotel through priceline. i booked it for $30 US a day last march in SFO area. check the current price at www.biddingfortravel.com first.

by 100ACRE

Stop by and visit my SF & Napa pages... I have great tips for you !

100ACRE