1599 Lombard St, San Francisco, California, 94123, United States

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Rated 13% higher but also costs 88% more than other 2 star hotels

• madamx's Profile Photo

Home Away From Home

We couldn't ask for anything more in this lovely accommodation. We found Rick, the owner, to be attentive but unobtrusive and quickly available by phone or in person. I highly recommend this place. It was nice to come "home" after a day out, make mac and cheese for a change from all the restaurant food, relax in your jammies, and watch tv or listen to music on the stereo.

Unique Quality: Huge tastefully decorated one bedroom with two baths; one with an old fashioned soaker tub, and one with a shower. Full kitchen and living room; a nice deck with plants and chairs, also a beautiful garden in the back. It has it's own private entrance with a locked gate, only accessible by code. Located in a beautiful renovated victorian in Upper Haight. Very conveniently located near Golden Gate Park and public transit. Also across the street from Buena Vista Park; there's a playground and tennis courts there.

Directions: Upper Haight is otherwise known as Haight Ashbury; however, we felt safe in the area where the house is located. However, I wouldn't recommend wandering around late at night. Also, Rick will tell you which areas to avoid.

More about Buena Vista Motor Inn

Loved it!!

by TripAdvisor Member Ole_DK

We stayed at Buena Vista Motor Inn for two nights in June and again in July, at the beginning and end of a round trip in California. And we were more than satisfied. Our room was great, clean and comfortable and the staff - Ken and Bernard in particular - was more than helpful and friendly.

It is about 20 minutes walk from the central part of Fisherman's Wharf, cable cars, Alcatraz ferry etc.

Sure, the parking lot is small, but it is free and according to the staff they will always be able to fit in a car per room even if it means double parking and leaving the keys at the front desk for them to move the car if necessary.

There is a coffee maker in the room to keep you going until breakfast. The breakfast - muffins, pastry, fruit and juice - they serve at this hotel is neither better nor worse than so many other continental breakfasts at motels in California (according to our three weeks of experience). And up the road on the left side of the street is a great place for a freshly cooked breakfast, the Lombard Cafe. And going left maybe six blocks down the street from the hotel is Mel's Diner, a typical American diner with typical diner fare - and the best milk shakes we tasted in California.

Buena Vista Motor Inn is highly recommended - we loved our stay there!

Disappointing

We chose this hotel after reading good reviews and were extremely disappointed. This was by far the worst accommodation in our entire trip.

Upon entering the inn it smelt stale and looked very tired and dated.

Things didn't improve upon entering our small family suite with strips of wallpaper hanging off the wall and a very musty odour. The floors and couch looked as if they had not been cleaned in a long, long time. One of the beds pulled down into the living area, which made it somewhat difficult. The room was also very noisy being on the corner of two busy streets.

The complimentary breakfast was a joke. We managed to actually get something to eat and drink only once in a 4-night stay and with 2 children this was frustrating. Breakfast was from 7-10, however, by 8.15 there was nothing left and depleted supplies were not replenished. Having to go elsewhere for breakfast was an added expense.

I would rather pay a higher rate for clean, quiet, comfortable accommodation.

The only thing the Buena Vista Motor Inn had going for it was courteous staff.

Good value for $75/night

by TripAdvisor Member Starlaker

We stayed two night May 3-4/05. Parking is OK for a small car and free. The staff were all more than helpful and very friendly. Our room was on the 3 rd floor rear and was quite large and quiet. We were able to walk to the Wharf area with no problems. The hotel is clean and the mustiness of the previous reviewer was not detectable by us. The breakfast was coffee, muffins and fresh fruit. A very good value for the money.

mattress was very hard

by TripAdvisor Member Egram

We stayed one night. The only problem that we really had was the mattress. We don't like hard mattresses so we had a hard time sleeping! The desk clerk was very nice. The parking was free. We had high speed internet access in our room and we were able to walk to Fisherman's Wharf.

Great place, Great location!

by TripAdvisor Member TUROCH05

Stayed at his hotel for the 4th of July weekend with my family and everything was great.
The room was as we had requested it, it was very clean with good furniture, it had a fridge for beverages and snacks.
We made coffee in the room and bought some breakfast items in the deli near by. In the lobby there was lots of juice and some pastries early in the morning and a computer to check email if needed to. The parking garage was a good help since that is expensive in big cities.
The staff was helpful and friendly, (Thanks Ped and J for all your help, keep the good work)
The location was excelent, very short drive from everything and just 3 blocks from Union St. with restaurants galore, strongly recomend the Restaurant Luisa`s, small italian, very charming and great food.
As a Hotel Manager myself I really recomend this place. If you are planning a family get away siteseeing trip on a budget and you want to explore local restaurants and visit the city atractions, this is the perfect place. Their rates are great.

Never Again.....

by TripAdvisor Member kahluaqueen

We stayed here for 3 nights and it was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. I was looking to save some money.....and you do get what you pay for. For approx. $99- you get FREE parking and that's about it. The lobby is extremely worn and dirty looking. It had a stale musky smell and the carpets were in dire need of vacuuming/cleaning.

The room itself was a relative dive. The wallpaper around the window was torn back all the way around the window and all the mold was exposed. Black nasty mold that made you keep the curtains closed. There was no lock on the window nor was there a screen. View on the odd numbered rooms is the side of building next door...about 8' away. The bedspread had at least 30 cigarette burns on it (at last count) and it was a non-smoking room. Just overall disgusting for my tastes. Next time I will spend a little more money for a better room. The staff were very courteous and pleasant. I don't think its their fault the owners run such a dirty establishment. On a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being excellent) this would rate a negative -5 IMO. But that's just it..........my opinion.

Great Location & for the price the hotel was good too

by TripAdvisor Member JJ1256

The Buena Vista could use some updates, it is slightly outdated and could be described as dingy by some, but for the price it was great. The location is very central to everything and to save on parking made the Buena Vista a very desirable place to stay. If you are planning on seeing and experiencing the city, and would like to use the extra money on something that has nothing to do with a hotel room, the Buena Vista is for you. If you are looking to be catered in an modern hotel, then look elsewhere.
The in room DSL and contintental breakfast were nice touches as well.
If you enjoy to walk or jog this hotel was great. It was 1/4 mile from the Marina and you did not have to climb any large hills to get there.

Returned for the second year running

by TripAdvisor Member CatwomanUk

Started out a 3 week touring holiday of California at the Buena Vista. We stayed here last year and thought it was excellent value for money and a good location. Bonus is the free car park, although it can be cramped at times they make sure everyone can get in. The staff on reception are very helpful and friendly. If you are looking for a small, good value, clean, friendly hotel, close to all the major attractions this one comes recommended.

Good basic lodging

by TripAdvisor Member Remote Traveler

I wanted a place in San Francisco that would be easily accessible to touristy locations without being in the middle of the touristy areas. The Buena Vista provided good, safe and basic lodging at a reasonable price. There was parking for my car...there weren't enough spaces to go around, but they had me double-park in the garage and leave my keys with them so they could move my car if needed. They had high speed internet access. The room was clean and, as a single female traveler, I felt perfectly safe. I was on a smoking floor and although my room didn't smell like cigarettes, the hallway did (partly because the door was always propped open onto the rooftop deck on this floor where people would go outside to smoke). Due to the traffic on Lombard, I did need earplugs to sleep (even though I was in a room on the side of the building), but the only noise I heard from other guests was water running through the pipes when they were in the shower. The hotel is also easily within walking distance of Fisherman's Wharf. This hotel will save you money (especially if you have a car) and will get you away from the throngs of tourists in the more touristy areas.

by isoria

Hi.

I'm looking for a cheap hotel with free parking in SFO, I've seen Buena Vista Motor Inn as a good option at Marina District.

What do you think about it, and the neighborhood, is it safe and near nice places.

Thanks

Re: Buena Vista Motor Inn

by joesorce

I like columbusmotorinn.com if you can get a good rate.

Haven't stayed at Buena Vista but have heard good comments about it.

Comments