Campton Place Hotel

• falicia2000's Profile Photo

Waters Edge
    Looking to stay on...

Waters Edge
    Looking to stay on the north side of the Bay? Somewhat touristy Tiburon, a fast ferryboat ride from the city or half-hour drive over the Golden Gate Bridge, finally has some snazzy sleeping quarters. The new, 23-room Waters Edge has comfortable, contemporary rooms with private balconies and, just like its name states, sits right beside the Bay. That means killer views of the city and Angel Island. It's also conveniently located next to Sam's, one of the area's best decks for a Bloody Mary brunch.
    Rooms are in the $125 to $200 range
    25 Main St.; tel. 415/789-5999 or 877/789-5999
    www.marinhotels.com

Campton Place
    Carrying all the timeless sophistication of a Chanel suit, this downtown classic with supreme service sits smack on the edge of Union Square—an ace location. It's also home to an ace restaurant of the same name (Campton Place). Flaunting freshly updated rooms that give the classic look a more contemporary spin—Bose sound systems, deep tubs, and French limestone-Campton remains the kind of elegant place where valets will pack and unpack your valise, if you so desire.
    Rooms begin in the $200 and over range
    340 Stockton St.; tel. 415/781-5555 or 800/235-4300
    www.camptonplace.com

Hotel Bohème
    This somewhat-secret North Beach hotel is housed in an old Victorian rowhouse on Columbus, and the second-story lodging has sixteen cozy rooms (that start at a low $149). Don't miss mingling with Hotel Bohème's other guests over the cream sherry that's served each evening before heading out for a bustling North Beach night.
    Rooms begin in the $125 to $200 range
    444 Columbus Ave.; tel. 415/433-9111
    www.hotelboheme.com

Unique Quality: Zen waterfalls meet I-Mac conveniences at this cheery boutique hotel just off Union Square. Floors are identified by a color rather than a number: earth (olive green), wind (taupe), fire (yellow), and water (blue), and that theme that permeates the feel-good-have-fun ambiance of this downtown hotel. Bathrooms are stocked with kiwi-seeded soaps, juniper shampoo, and ylang ylang soaps etched with the Chinese symbol for energy. There's even a children's guestroom complete with bunk beds, Mr. Bubble, and a free ticket to ride the nearby Powell Street cable car.
    Rooms begin in the $125 to $200 range
    25 Mason St.; tel. 415/775-4600
    www.hotelmetropolis.com

Directions: Hotel Del Sol
    This sunny, surf-like spot with reasonable rates ranks among the best of the San Francisco's budget hotels. The primary-colored '50s motel makeover is as lighthearted as a day at the bea

• topoftheworl's Profile Photo

The Campton Place

About $350 to $400, US, not Hong Kong Dollars.

Unique Quality: Expensive, but then all of SF is. Face it, how many times are you going to come back, and how many times are you going to live? Don't ask me, I am Buddhist.

More about Campton Place Hotel

Disappointed with the Campton Place Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member S4842

Although I booked my room at a discounted price, I was still very disappointed with a few things at the Campton Place Hotel. While the staff was very professional and extremely courteous, I was a little annoyed that I was charged so much for parking - $38 plus a $5 "parking tax"! And, I sent a fax out and was surprised to see a $5 fee for sending it on my bill. When sending the fax, no one told me that I would be charged for it. I was surprised since most luxury hotels either do such things complimentary or notify you of a service charge. However, the rooms were very well appointed, the bathrooms are very big with a nice dressing area and two sinks, and the service in the bar was great. All in all, it was a pretty great stay until we got our bill and saw the extras that we had been charged!

Very special hotel

by TripAdvisor Member KimtheNetherlands

My husband and I were in San Francisco on vacation and stayed at the Campton Place for five nights in May 2005. We are seasoned travelers, both for liesure and work, and have stayed at some world class hotels. The Campton Place is definitely right up there with best in class, but it stands out even among those hotels because the service was so exceptional. We felt completely at home there and by the time we left were on a first name basis with the restaurant staff and the bell hops. Yonas, a doorman/valet, is just an incredibly nice and pleasant person and gave us great recommendations and information on where to go to dinner, sightseeing, etc. Thanks, Yonas!

It´s the little touches that really matter in distinguishing one world class hotel from another, and the Campton Place has it!

Good but Small rooms

I stayed before at the Campton Place. I love the location it is literally in the middle of everything.

My only compaint are the rooms, they are very small for the comfort I was looking for.

The staff was very nice. They were very helpful with directions and suggestions.

Valet Parking is expensive and it takes 15-20 minutes to bring your car. Take advantage of the Sleep and Park Promotion.

I would stay here again but would try to book a larger room, I peaked on some others and there was not a big difference but with these sizes and inch was important.

Couldn't have been better

by TripAdvisor Member furbabyvet

We stayed at Campton Place at the end of a week spent in the Bay area. We had only one night in this hotel, but it was the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in. The bed was AMAZING. The bathroom was huge with a separate tub and shower. The staff was helpful but unobtrusive. I did not sense any "attitude" during our stay. Great location. Definitely worth the price!

Great Location, Great Service.

by TripAdvisor Member StacyColson

I stayed at the Campton Place for a business trip Feb 15 - 18th. Had a great stay. Location was good for downtown business happenings and close to night time eating, shopping...and morning coffee shops. The only drawback to this hotel is the room service is very "rich"...meaning it's tough to find your average quick meal (sandwich and fruit). Most items are "shi-shi-fu-fu". But you are able to get your basic sandwich and coffee just around the corner. Fitness center is pretty well equipped considering other hotels I've stayed at in the area. Hope this is helpful. Enjoy your stay...I did.

Consistently Top-Notch

by TripAdvisor Member KiddDallas

I travel to San Francisco on a fairly regular basis, and I religiously stay at the Campton Place. As a road-warrior, I have never encountered such consistently exemplary hotel service from a non-chain property (i.e Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula, etc.) The rooms are comfortable in an Asian style with utterly seductive beds and fabulously appointed and equipped bathrooms. Definitely a "boutique" hotel that differentiates itself with the quality of service from the front-desk to the bellman to the bar and housekeeping. Valet parking does in fact cost $43 per night; however, this is consistent with all premium SF hotels.

Very quiet oasis

by TripAdvisor Member SusanVM

I stayed at Campton Place last week, January 19, 20, 2005 with my daughters for a girls getaway. It is in the perfect location, close to Union Square and shopping. I have stayed in many of the downtown hotels and this one was VERY quiet, with very comfy beds...in fact we could not believe how late we slept in each morning. The quiet is unusual for a downtown hotel.....the norm is to be awakened by sirens at any odd hour! The rooms were cozy and the bathrooms as noted by others are very large for San Francisco. The decor is in keeping with the newer look of sleek and not fussy...I like a little more old world charm myself. We had a great stay but were able to get a good price on the room through a friend...I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much at the full price!

The SF Food Page

by topoftheworl

"As Promised ..."

Just so you know, dear reader, my philosophy on food is simple. I simply like the best. Deciding where to eat, or dine, in my beloved city, is not an easy act. The most difficult part is deciding what kind of food you want. Maybe I will share with you some of my favorite places. In the interests of do-abilty, I will stick to the seven by square miles, that is the city.

I am tempted to do it by type of cuisine. Nah, too easy. You will glide over cuisines that are not of interest to you. That would make it too easy on you. Dear reader, do you do know, as I sit here on a snowy night, in a rocker, fire going, feet up, keyboard in lap... I want you to come along with me to the theater of the mind, mine and yours. So put your imagination in the upright position, and buckle your moneybelt.

A small restaurant in North Beach, L'Osteria: Pizza Bianca. Thin crusted, four cheeses, no tomatoes, and shiffenaded shallots. Thats it. How can something this simple taste so good? Very easily. I have done a version at home, and although different, is still good. Back to the Pizza Bianca. White, bianca. No tomatoes, remember? Quatro formmaggi. Thin as a wafer. The shallots lie mysteriously embedded in the thin coating of four cheeses. The crust: I have tasted none better. Crunchy and chewy, and thin. How can that be? you ask. It just is. Life is a contradiction, get used to it. Life is the biggest cause of Death. And put the parmesan down. Do not mess with perfection!

Fine dining. Never finer than at the Dining Room at the Campton Place on Union Square and at Charles on Nob Hill. Reservations are a good idea. I recommend the chef's menu at both places. Be prepared to spend a pretty penny, three hours, plate changes before each course, several waiters/waitresses. For dessert, opt for the fruit and cheese plate, and see food as art. Granny-Smith apples, thinly sliced in a nine to six position, bathed sparingly in lime juice, and flecked with crushed cardamom seeds. Sharp french and italian cheeses accompany the tangy fruit. I am tempted to use a word for it, but am reserving it for the last place.

Chinatown at lunch. Brandy Ho's. The pork dumplings, dripping in a soy sauce, that I suspect contains minced garlic, sugar, lots of vinegar, and green omions, diced paper thin. The pork is succulent, the potsticker is crisp. Doesn't matter what else you have. You will be in a state of mind that no matter what comes after, can change your sense of bon homme. Somebody who speaks French, quick, please tell me, is that correct usage? Not of food, but of the language. The food is perfect.

Two blocks up. Different day, still lunch: The Lichee Garden. Lichee is a fruit I tasted first in India. It shows up there in late summer, and only for a few days. Chilled lichees are an incredibly sensous experience. A stubby and gnarly exterior, dark red. When stripped of its thin skin, it reveals a translucent blue-white pulp, surrounding an inch sized kernel which is deep brown in color. You strip em, you pop em in whole, you whiz around in ecstasy and you pop the kernel out, (Do not bite it! It is very bitter!) Kinda like a far eastern hokey-pokey. Nope, ain't no country fan.

Back to the reataurant. Noise levels are very high. I notice things. Chinese people are very loud. Every one of them has a cell phone. I once saw four customers at the same table, talking each, on their phones! German people are very quiet, Indian men always have their hands in their pockets, and want to talk to you in pvt on chat. Arabs ask you if you have msn. But thats fodder, for a yet unwritten page,

Dim-Sum. I have been told it was invented in Hong Kong, by tea-house owners. A means to keep their customers in. Free stuff, courtesy of Wang Chung, or whatever his name was. Freebies. Finger-foods that are wheeled around on carts. You point, most people here do not speak english, you eat and you pay, Simple as that. You may think I am brave, dear reader. I am, but not brave enough to try the chicken feet. The whatchamacallits and the doohickeys are great! Taro rolls stuffed with shredded marinated pork, pork buns, baked golden brown, a vegetable kabab like thing, containing more marinated pork. Do I detect a theme here? Sorry, too busy wolfing down the thingamajigs!

Or, you can settle for the few traditional chinese lunch items. The house chicken comes with .....lichees. with bell peppr and onions. The lichees retain their sweetness! Excellent choice,

Dinnertime. The Tenderloin. A particulary seedy part of the City. In the heart of it, a great restaurant. A taxi-driver told me about it. Five years ago. It is a self serve place. Nothing is over six dollars. Dinner can be had for nine. It is the best indian food I ever had. I have had dinner in restaurants that are rated five stars in India, where a naan costs five dollars, and worth it. But nothing surpasses this place. Not India, not anywhere. Again, there is a secret here, dear reader, grab some h2o.

A little background. There is a city in India, called Hydrabad. No, Medusas do not go there to bathe, Bear with me. It is largely moslem, and was ruled by a dynasty, the most recent of whom was the Nizam of Hydrabad. I do not know his name, but that was his title. He was the ruler of the land. He was incredibly rich. Sotheby's recently sold a necklace from his diamond collection for 28 million dollars. It was made by Cartier, in 1906. It is called the Nilgiri, local for blue mountains, a nearby range. His heirs are squabbling. The players change, my friend: the stories stay the same. What does this have to do with a hole in the wall reataurant in ess eff? Read on.

A guy with so much money, can afford good chefs, you would think. It's good to be the king, and that sort of thing. And you would be right. He could and did. Some of the recipes they used, go back centuries, to the mountains of western Asia and central Europe. Who knows? Turkey, Afganistan, Tajikistan, and all the cold places in between. One of his chefs came from Lahore in Pakistan. He went back there when he retired. As was his wont, he cooked for his grandchildern, who grew up eating food that had been perfected over centuries.

Now, meet Javed. Proud owner of the restaurant I am talking about. No, you will not know its name. I have enough problems getting a table there already. Javed is related to the chef who worked all his life in the Nizam's kitchen. Javed is, yes, one of his grandsons. He runs a clean, lacklustre eating place. They serve not eighty dishes, but maybe eight. Each one of them is worth twenty-eight million.

Case in point: 'Buna Gosht.' Literally, Roasted Stew. Boneless chunks of lamb. Guess the Nizam did not have strong teeth. Tender, melt in your mouth lamb. Swimming in a fiery sauce. Garlic, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, peppers. loads of onions, tomatoes and who knows what else? Javed will not tell you, or me. Its a family secret. The spices are made whole, not crushed. He mixes them in a back room, and only he knows the ratios. Tear off a hunk of the naan, sop it into stew and taste: heaven

*********************************************************

"Chuck Heaven"

The chuck is hand-ground by Joe everyday. You have a choice of a 4, 6 or 8 oz patties.. The bun is a sturdy sourdough, well toasted. It is flecked with sesame seeds. The onions are thinly sliced and cold, the tomatoes are medium sliced and not as cold. The pickle is tart and crunchy. They are all served on the side.

The steak fries (small size @ $2.25 is enough for two). are made from Idaho potatoes. Do not be surprised if you find a few close to 8" long. They are thick, and crisp. What's more, they STAY crisp until you sigh in satisfaction and say, "Man, that was good!" The burger is juicy enough to make a grown man weep. One critic wrote, "Its the kind of place that makes you want to say, 'God bless America!'."

OK, so lets get to the bottom line: What is it called? It is called 'Joe's Cable Car (what else?) Burgers. You gotta taste it to believe it. And yes, you have a choice of five cheeses to topp (ouch!) your burger with. This includes French Bleu. A very important member of the cheese kingdom. I bow to thee, Mighty, smelly and oh-so-sharp Bleu.

On Mission St and Silver Ave

Accomodation advice

by 40inOctober

Travelling end of October to celebrate both mine and my husbands 40th (without the kids). Through research have narrowed choice down to Prescott Hotel, Campton Place, Omni, Orchard Hill and my husband like Nikko Hotel. Any recommendations or other nice places to consider?

Also, wanted to get in on ticket to Springsteen on the 26th - concert not listed on ticketmaster website but somewhere I saw tickets go on sale on the 15th. Anyone know what the official ticket site is? Searches only lead me to the ticket broker sites.

Thanks for your help.

by AthenaHst

My son stayed at the Nikko for his honeymoon, very nice hotel, centrally located. Ticketmaster is the only official site for the concert. I work at the coliseum, if you are renting a car drive out to the coliseum as soon as you can to buy your tickets and save the service charge or you can catch bart to Oakland Coliseum station.

by zuriga

If you are looking for a small, charming type of hotel, there are two in a good location at Nob Hill/Union Square area... The White Swan and Petite Auberge (both owned by the same company). The service is lovely and they serve tea at the Swan each afternoon. We loved the Petite Auberge.

www.jvdhotels.com or you can Google White Swan

by AltDelete

Ticketmaster is the official site. The reason you are being taken to the ticket brokers (with their hugely marked up prices) is the tickets are not on sale yet. Do not buy them from a broker. I think the date the tickets go on sale is really the 17th. Double check the Ticketmaster website. Just go online at 10:00 AM Pacific, and you should have no trouble at all getting good tix.

Campton Place is a very good hotel and smaller. Omni is bigger and Nikko is much bigger. Don't know much about Prescott or Orchard Hill, but the 3 I do know about are all excellent hotels in good locations (quite close to each other).

by NewMike

I would go with Campton Place. Depending on your price range. Mayeb the Ritz carlton or Hotel Vitalle

Comments