1565 Broadway, San Francisco, California, 94109, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

• iam1wthee's Profile Photo

Away from most action

I found the stay here to be alright. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The main office closes at 11pm and reopens at 7am. The layout of the place is somewhat confusing, for example the elevator is underneath the stairs. If you stay here make sure you stay toward the front where your view will be the bridge or the very back where you will have a garden view.

I would have preferred to have been closer to Fishermans Wharf where most of the action seemed to be. I did not see where Fishermans Wharf was as dangerous as another person put it. Then again it is fall and the weather is cool so not too much riffraf around. The area where the hotel was is more residential. There is a walmart across the street and a lot of restaurants and take out places. Not much else in shopping. Transportation is good here. On both corners several buses run and there is a trolley at one corner and another trolley 3 blocks away.

Unique Quality: microwave
    internet port

Directions: 1 block from Pacific Heights, 1 block from Russian Hill

More about Castle Inn

Excellent Choice

I booked this hotel for myself and relatives visiting from Norway. The owners are first rate! They noticed the reservations coming in at the same time and correctly assumed we were together and gave us one connecting room, and the other room very close.

We had our own "travel guide" with them. They gave us endless useful information, a discount transportation coupon and maps.

The location was great! In a neighborhood so you felt at home. Just down a 1/2 block were tons of good restaurants, and a bagel shop which we visited for our breakfasts.

I would highly recommend this hotel, and plan to stay there again!

Castle Inn excellent value

by TripAdvisor Member Boiler6764

Very nice hotel and a good value. We had the handicapped room so the bathroom was extremely large and the room was average size. Very comfortable king size bed. Pretty good location, some homeless were hanging around on the corners at night but I didn't feel too uncomfortable.

Loved the hotel.. the location... Marshall & Arlene!

What a wonderful property! Marshall and Arlene were very helpful and made our stay feel more like a bed and breakfast than any other hotel we've visited. The location was perfect for walking or getting to public transportation. We used the fridge in the room to chill our wine purchases after a day in wine county! The free parking was a steal. I would love to return tomorrow.

I'll be back

by TripAdvisor Member NE_Wayfarer

I was in California on business, so I added a few personal days to visit my favorite city. The Castle Inn was in a great location, away from the chaos of Union Square and the Disneyland of Fisherman's Wharf, but close enough to catch a cable car or walk about a bit. What particularly sold me on the Castle Inn was the included on-site parking. Anywhere else, you'd end up spending $25/day (or more), and have to deal with the hastle of getting your car in and out, but the ability to hop in my car and take off to distant destinations was a great plus.

The rooms were modest, comfortable and clean. The area was safe and quiet. Varsa, the concierge, was terrific. She has a great knowledge of the city, was very helpful, and was just generally charming. I believe there was a continental breakfast included, but I opted to go down the block to Polk St. for great coffee at Peet's. Forget about Starbuck's!

This motel is not fancy, but it's a great deal. I hope to come back with my family soon. There's a huge suite that can accomodate a large family.

(Just a hint-I think if you call the Inn directly you can get a better rate than the online deals-Ask for Varsa!)

Not fit for a king, but certainly fit for a tourist!

by TripAdvisor Member Seanhoya

Our stay at the Castle Inn was truly pleasant - an experience that we hope soon to repeat. The location was perfect - it was within walking distance of all major sites, if you don't mind the occasional San Francisco hill. My wife and I spent four days using The Castle Inn as our base from which we "walked" San Francisco. Our room was simple and clean - the refrigerator was nice to keep our bottled water cold. The management was very helpful, more than once offering advice on how to get to our daily destinations. Parking was a breeze with the two lower lots. Our opinion of the Castle Inn was that it was clean, safe, convenient, and above all, priced well. For the price, I don't think that there is a better deal in San Francisco! That being said, there were a few things that bothered us - we couldn't get the elevator to work until the third day we were there (being on the second floor, it wasn't much of an inconvenience), the parking garage had this horrible ear-piercing alarm that went off everytime we walked into it, and finally, our room fan created this horrible noise whenever we had it on. Overall, however, we enjoyed our stay, and will certainly think of The Castle Inn first when we go back to San Francisco.

Previous reviews by owners/managers?! Not the reality that I experienced!

I was there last weekend, my fourth visit in a years time. Three previous stays were for business trips. Yes, the Castle Inn is centrally located and has off-street parking. But, the clientele being catered to has DRASTICALLY changed! The new, evidently preferred customer is the "party all night and urinate off the balcony crowd". Literally. The owners/managers were certainly "mum" on any behavior or guest management efforts, even bragging that these same guests were back out drinking on the sidewalks at 8am the next morning. Just what a business customer or traveling couple wants to hear? Definitely not. Drug store earplugs and a fan running on high did not drown the night-long parties. Definitely not the experience I expected or paid for! If money is your only concern and you don't mind lodging with hooligans for neighbors, this is your place.

Great Location. Big Rooms. Noisy.

Stayed at the Castle Inn for 3 nights last week. Was at a superb B&B in Napa the night before and a more upscale hotel in Nob Hill before that on the same trip. Initially disappointed with the "look & feel", but soon got over it. Location is good, as you are right on Van Ness and can get anywhere from there with ease. Not much in walking distance, imo, compared with other areas. Decent restaurants, but not great ones. Rooms are huge in SFO terms. Great showers, lots of water pressure. Very noisy in the room (road & other guests). Staff are excellent. A great quality "value" inn.

Excellent value

by TripAdvisor Member Kander007

Spent three days at the Castle Inn, May 24 -27 and found it to be a good value. Rooms were well appointed with all the essentials for a tourist on the go including an iron and ironing board. Really clean...in fact, I don't think my bathroom is as clean as I found there. Tub and shower a might small but as with everything else, we were more interested in seeing the city then the walls of the room. Some noise from the street, but it didn't keep me from getting a good night's sleep. Staff was very friendly and helpful with directions and recommendations. Located within walking distance to restaurants, taverns, and a Walgreens on Polk Ave. Also about two blocks from a cable car stop and other mass transit near by.

Overall, a fairly good stay.
FYI: Mass transit is probably the best way to go for the majority of sightseeing, but you are best advised to be prepared for crushing conditions on some lines especially into Chinatown. Also, best to stay off during the school rush hour between 3 and 5 p.m. as we found some of the most unruly and arrogent children in the country aboard. (If this is the flower of American youth, we should be really scared about the future.)

Friendly staff, good location

While the facilities are quite standard (good sized, clean rooms) the excellent location and friendly staff give this hotel an edge. We stayed in Castle Inn for 3 nights and found it excellent - and one other bonus point came through the free parking.

A reasonably priced, well located hotel.

Comments