Commodore Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Boutique Hotel

cjg1's Profile Photo

Ok Hotel near Union Square

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 4, 2006

I honestly was only moderately satisfied with this hotel. The rooms were small and you could hear though the paper-thin walls. But the location was good enough and it worked well for the weekend of the Great San Francisco VT Meeting of 2003. I had chosen this place because I was familiar with their bar down stairs. Oh well…

It was here that I saw the shuttle Columbia come apart on the TV.

Nothing fancy...nothing sweet

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 30, 2006

The Commodore Hotel isn't one of San Francisco's greatest hotels, but for the price it isn't too bad. The rooms are fairly basic as are the amenities of the hotel. One drawback I do remember is that there was no a/c and the room got a little bit stuffy in there. However, you could open the window and sit/stand on the fire escape and look down on Sutter Street from the room. The location is not too bad, though a little on the outskirts of Union Square.

Unique Quality: attached to the Red Room Bar

travlnlght's Profile Photo

very boutique!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 17, 2005

Before I went to San Francisco, I researched the hotels in and around the downtown area. I finally decided to stay at the Commodore, because of not only the price, but because of the location.

The second night we stayed there, I think a herd of elephants were staying in the room above us! We called the desk twice to complain, but when we called again, the person working that shift went above and beyond the call of duty! She went ahead and re-accommodated us to another room on the next floor, but thankfully not next to the elephants! We were more than happy with the room we were moved to, although the view could've been a little better!

The only real problem we had was with the elevator! It was a small and slow elevator, and it kind of scared us when it would start moving and when it would stop!

Other than that, the staff was very friendly, and the bar next door -- The Red Room, was totally awesome!

I would totally recommend this hotel to anyone that's going to San Francisco! I would definitely stay there again, if and when I get the chance to go there!

Unique Quality: I like the way this hotel was decorated. The decorations were bright and colorful, so it added to the ambience of the room!

CarolynShort's Profile Photo

Good value, good service, good location

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 3, 2003

Spent 5 nights here.... not the cheapest place in town, but can get good deals on travel sites. The hotel is located on Sutter Street, 4 blocks west of Powell Street (5 minute walk?), so pretty well placed for Union Square and the cable cars. Immediate area seemed safe, so long as you didn't head down Jones towards O'Farrell and Ellis, then things start to feel ominous (but to be fair, we had no trouble).

Our hotel room was clean, brightly decorated, and large (twin), with TV, large walk-in wardrobe with little fridge, decent shower and hair dryer. Our view was a bit disappointing - into an air shaft, but then I'd requested a quiet room which presumably doesn't mean a street view.

Didn't try the breakfast in the adjoining cafe , but looked OK, and there's always the cool Cafe Bean over the road.

On the other side of the hotel is the Red Room, a bar in which everything is red!

Commodore Hotel

by written on September 7, 2002

$65 depending on season

Unique Quality: The famous commodore hotel is superbly located and very close to Union square. It is not a plush hotel but is offers good value and has a bit of character. To it's right is the Titantic cafe which is very convienient for Breakfast and on the left is the well known bar, the Red Room

Nearby Commodore Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Boutique Hotel

San Francisco Travel Forum

Need advice about San Francisco, California? Visit the Travel Forum for San Francisco and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest San Francisco hotel reviews