Courtyard By Marriott San Francisco Downtown

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Costs 145% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Lhenne1's Profile Photo

Inexpensive and Very Nice

The Courtyard by Marriott is located downtown, near AT&T Park, which makes it great if you're in town for a game. The staff was friendly and the room was very spacious and clean. Our room in particular had a great view of the Bay Bridge.

This hotel has everything you would expect from a Marriott chain hotel. We were able to access the internet in our room, beds were comfortable, the bathroom was large. The room was equipped with hair dryer, iron and ironing board and coffee maker.

The hotel is an easy walk to the BART station on Market Street and a little bit of a hike to Union Sq., China Town and North Beach.

Good deals can be found on off-peak weekends.

Unique Quality: On site Starbucks, bar and restaurant as well as outdoor courtyard sitting area.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Courtyard By Marriott San Francisco Downtown/SoMa

When we go to San Francisco we always try to stay somewhere around Union Square, while avoiding touristy Fisherman's Wharf and the low-rent districts around the Tenderloin. The area around Union Square puts us close to AT&T Park and the trendy SoMa nightlife, a short walk to Chinatown and the Ferry Building, just a short cab ride (or long 45-minute walk) to the North Beach nightlife area, and right on the BART line connecting us to Oakland and the Mission District.

On our most recent trip, Memorial Day Weekend 2008, we searched for a hotel around Union Square, but on this busy weekend we ended up using our old standby, Priceline. Using their bidding feature, we were lucky enough to book the downtown Courtyard for two nights at about $105 a night, a real bargain for a hotel of this quality in the area (regular price for this weekend was about $200 a night).

We arrived at the hotel around 7pm, and quickly checked in with no problems. The only unique thing was having to sign a form saying I wouldn't have a prom party in my room... I laughed, thinking I'm too old to host a prom party, but it was a sign of things to come. As we made our way up to our room, the overly rich kids who can afford to spend a weekend in the middle of San Francisco on their parents' white-collar salaries were dressed up and heading out to prom. That first night we arrived back to the hotel late (maybe 3am) so all was quiet. Our second night, around midnight things got lively as these wealthy brats were running up and down the hallway from about midnight until 3 or 4 am. When we checked out the next day there was a pile of cake outside our door and tired high school kids trying to come in.

Other than the noise the hotel is good. It is just a few blocks from Market Street and the Montgomery Street BART Station, and maybe five blocks from AT&T Park. Parking is available for around $40 a day. They have a pool, fitness center, bar, restaurant, and outdoor patio. They also have free Cat-5 internet connection in the rooms.

A nice hotel if you avoid prom season.

Directions: Between AT&T Park and Market Street on Second

More about Courtyard By Marriott San Francisco Downtown

Courtyard Downtown - wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member LonnaLinda

Spent 4 days at downtown Marriott Courtyard and it was very nice. While it is slightly off the beaten path (BART and bus stops about 3-4 blocks away) and further walk for cable cars, it is a VERY nice hotel. Room was a good size (although beds were rather firm), we had a nice view of the bay bridge, free breakfast in Jasmine's which was decent. Nice outside courtyard to sit in patio - wonderful fireplace inside hotel livingroom area.(which in SF it gets chilly). ALSO, they have 3 computers tucked near vending machines which guests can use for free to check email, etc... - nice surprise. Indoor pool VERY nice and water temp warm - girls loved it. They also have a Starbucks Coffee Shop inside Marriott - which I did not use - but certainly many guests did. FYI there are not too many restaurants in the closeby area - many close at dinner time. Liquor store across the street from Marriott - great if you want to get a bottle of wine - cheaper than drinking at the bar in the hotel. We used public transportation so we would walk every morning to bus stop - so did not have to pay high price for parking.

Recommend MUNI passport for 3 days. Adult $15 - child $10 which is good on all public transportation (bus, cable cars, and electric trolley - NOT ferry or BART) and a GREAT deal.

Terrific

I stayed there mid-July and was very pleased with everything. Yes, the parking can be expensive, but worth it. They had the car there within 5 minutes the few times we needed it. Yet, it is only a few blocks from the BART station, and close to bus lines (which I highly recommend). It was a nice walk down to the Ferry Building for a casual dinner and an easy walk to MOMA. The room was very clean, with a nice view of the hills. Our maid was so accomodating and provided extra toiletries without asking. Food is so-so in the restaurants, but convienent. My 20 year old son met me in SF, so I appreciated the coin laundry....! The concierge and the front desk were very friendly and helpful. I definitely appreciated the fact that I made a reservation at a chain I had used before and it didn't let me down. If you want a clean, reliable hotel with a decent location, this is the one for you.

Nothing Special

Location was decent, staff was helpful, and the lobby was nice. The rooms though were average and the bathroom was actually on the smaller side. My biggest complaint though is that the supposed high-speed internet connection was slower than molasses. Not just my room connection either, the business center was just as bad. Fairly annoying to say the least.

Wonderful for a Courtyard

by TripAdvisor Member cnote1500

I stayed here for two nights in August. We had a Flex Award, so our room and breakfast was covered, so I may have a more favorable opinion because we didn't pay very much.

The lobby, bell staff and valets are very nice and helpful. They were always offering help and provided me with some very usful info on using mass transit.

The lobby of the building is very nice, well decorated. There is a Starbucks in the lobby which has very limited hours on the weekend (closes very early). But there are several within walking distance that are open.

Breakfast was very good, we had the buffet. I don't know if it's worth the money (ours was free), but it's as good or better than many Sheratons and Marriotts i've stayed at in the past. Good coffee and fresh omletts made to order.

The room was very clean and resonably nice. We were on the 14th floor and it was very quiet. No street noise and no noise from other guests. We had a nice view of downtown.

If I were spending the money on it, (usually close to $200 or more) I think I would pick a smaller boutique hotel. Especially a hotel that had cheaper parking, $40/day is outrageous but there aren't any other good options. You don't really need a car in San Francisco, the transit system is top notch. So if you can avoid driving, I would.

Great stay

by TripAdvisor Member burper

My husband and I went to San Francisco to celebrate my birthday in August. Being the ultimate bargain hunter, I secured a reservation at the Courtyard Marriott Downtown on Priceline for $80/night for three nights($140/night on their website).

The hotel was a bit further from the Union Square area than I had hoped originally, but that actually worked in our favor. The hotel was located in the financial district and very safe, we felt safe walking around the hotel and the adjoining areas at night and we actually didn't bump into any aggressive homeless persons as other travellers reported around the Union Square hotels. The valet parking was also slightly less expensive in that area ($40/day vs $45-$47) and if you had the energy to move your car in the morning at 7AM when the meters went into effect, there was plenty of free overnight street parking as well.

The hotel staff were remarkably courteous and helpful. We asked for a room on a high floor with views of the city and were put in a room with a king bed on the 11th floor with a very nice city view. The room was quite large with a sitting area and work area (the hotel is mainly caters to business travellers). What I particularly enjoyed was the fitness room and pool/spa which were free of charge (other hotels charged their hotel guests a fee to use their fitness center!). Both were quite adequate too. There were also two computers in the hotel business center with free internet access and free printing which was convenient to print our airline boarding passes, although the connection was fairly slow.

Overall, had a great stay there. Mariiott quality and hospitality were excellent.

Very basic hotel

Part of a hotel chain that offers basic accomodation to travelers. Efficient services, a rather convenient mini-store, & the use of coin-operated laundry room for longer stay. Should request for rooms above 9 floors, as lower-floor rooms are rather noisy. May improve on in-room amenities. No issue with internet speed.

Great place to stay in SOMA

by TripAdvisor Member brewhill

I've stayed at the Courtyard Downtown several times and every time it gets better. The staff is very friendly, rooms clean and restaurant choice fair. I would like to see another restaurant but there are several within walking distance.

If you are going to SF and don't need to stay near Fisherman's Wharf, this is the place to stay!

Great time at the Courtyard

by TripAdvisor Member kansel

We stayed at the Courtyard for 5 nights at the end of October / beginning of November and we really liked it.

Our room on the 11th floor was very spacious - 2 double beds - nicely decorated and very tasteful. The beds were comfortable but perhaps a little soft for our tastes.

Room was immaculate every day.

Staff helpful.

Location excellent - 10 minute walk to Union Square. Fantastic Thai Restaurant - OSHA - a couple of blocks down.

Only gripe was the Starbucks - we arrived at 6pm on a Thursday and it was shut - very limited opening hours.

Overall - very impressed. We got the room for £60 a night through Octopus Travel and thought it was a bargain for the quality of the hotel.

Comments