Elements Hostel

2524 Mission Street, Mission district, San Francisco, California, 94110, United States

Hostelworld.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Elements Hostel

Liz and I riding B.A.R.T (2/2011)Liz and I riding B.A.R.T (2/2011)

Ocean Beach in WinterOcean Beach in Winter

Map at B.A.R.T. StopMap at B.A.R.T. Stop

Golden Gate Bridge from Palace of Legion of HonorGolden Gate Bridge from Palace of Legion of Honor

Green Tortoise or Elements Hostel??

by LoneRangerDublin

Going to San Fran for one month in October alone and I'm looking for somewhere to stay for a few nights when I get there to meet people and get to know the city. From what I've read online The Green Tortoise Hostel and The Elements hostel sound like fun. I'm in my twenties and don't really mind a party atmosphere... I just can't make up my mind!!

Anybody have any suggestions based on experience or location etc.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Green Tortoise or Elements Hostel??

by Rixie

I don't know the hostels you mention, but the San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf hostel at Fort Mason is in a gorgeous location - on the water near the SF Marina, with a view of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Re: Green Tortoise or Elements Hostel??

by caffelatte

I think you have enough reviews at http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/ElementsHostel-SanFrancisco-6906 to decide which one to chose.

Cheap accommodation

by TOMMON

Hi,at the start of June,we will visit San Francisco.
Does anybody know some cheap accommodation for 3 people?
(hostels, backpackers,...),it doesn´t matter,mainly cheap.
Till 20-25 USD per person.

Do you think,that is problem to find cheap motels before national parks without reservation during our trip? (Yosemite,Sequoia,Death Valley, Zion , Bryce, Grand, Arches,Mesa Verde, Yellowstone) Our trip from 13.May - till 5.June 2006

Thanks a lot
Tomas

by amadeus.schuller

check this out, maybe that fits? its hard to find something cheaper in San F
I personally know only the hostel at ford mason fishermans wharf which is actually sitauted in a park overlooking golden gate bridge...have fun

by ozbelle

I stayed in Hotel Britton...very small. Was in the SOMA area and to be honest, the 2 blocks we had to walk to market st to get on a tram was 2 blocks too long. I dont know if we had 'tourist' written all over us but i didnt feel safe at all!

by motorcyclegirl

Green Tortoise operates a hostel in North Beach which is one of the great neighborhoods of San Francisco. It's the "Little Italy" of San Francisco and is also walking distance to China Town. You could also walk to Fisherman's Wharf from there (a little bit longer of a walk) and would be very close to bars and restaurants. I have never been inside the hostel, but used to live near it and walked by all the time. From my peering through their windows it looked like they had a large communal room with a pool table and couches. It's a good location, not scary. However, parking would be a nightmare in that neighborhood so unless you want to pay a parking lot every day I would not have a car if I stayed there.

by ciaofa

Green Tortoise also runs cheap, funky trips to the national parks on old buses. The info should be on the website. You MIGHT not have trouble finding accommodations near national parks since you are going early in the summer. There is an old book that might still be helpful:

Jim's Backpacker's Bible (Almost 1100 Hostels, Hotels, Motels, Inns Etc., $20 or Less Per Person, Per Night) (Paperback)
by Jim de Cordova (Author)

[available from Amazon.com]

Another hostel in SF is Elements Hostel on Mission Street:

The neighborhood looks worse than it is! Read the website for more info.

by kristineyjolfs

Hi Tomas.

I will recommend you to join www.intervac.com and try some house/apartment exchange/rent.

Best regards, Kristín

Lonely In San Francisco

by magnate

Hi!
I will be in San Francisco Sept 17 - October 1 for the Oracle Open World at the Moscone. Am 29 and a journalist by profession. My company has put me at the Marriott for the conference days that is from the 17th Sept. till the 23rd Sept. From then onwards till the 1st I am on my own so was wondering if someone could help me in finding a cheap hotel/hostel since I would like to spend my money on better stuff than staying at an expensive hotel. Kindly advise if you know of any cheap/comfortable/safe accommodation within 5-15 minutes walk of the Moscone Convention Center? And yes...is anyone available for me to meet socially Sept 15- October 1? Evenings are pretty boring being all alone in SF. Cheers! Carebear

by atufft

The international youth hostel and the motels in the Marina district are the only hope, and they are definitely not within walking distance of Moscone Center. San Francisco has some of the world's most expensive accommodations, so don't expect to find anything "cheap". Having missed BART's last train on occasion, I've slept in horribly high priced and tiny hotel rooms in the theatre district, but I don't recommend those. Your best bet is along Lombard in the Marina district, and then take public transportation over Russian Hill to Moscone Center. Although you'll have to get up a little earlier, the commute will be well worth the scenic effort and it won't cost much. Good luck...

by cheap_tourist

There's also HI-San Francisco, Downtown. This (Hostelling International) hostel is near the corner of Mason and O'Farrell and is within walking distance to Moscone Center. At least, I can walk it.

by Smruti

hi! well, it's not near the Moscone Center, but there is a great hostel in the Mission area called Elements Hostel. You can catch a bus to downtown pretty easily from the Mission if you need to be there, as the Mission has many bus lines running from it to downtown. The hostel has a restaurant/bar right next door called Medjool which is a lot of fun with a rooftop bar with great views of SF. Lots of people watching and meeting opportunities:)

I just went there yesterday, by the way, and it's a great atmosphere, if a bit cold at night.

oh, I think dorm rooms are about $20 a night and private rooms are around $60/night--cheaper than a downtown hotel for sure!

good luck!
Smruti

Travel Tips for San Francisco

For things to do/off the beaten path

by emilesc

I highly recommend purchasing a box of the City Walks: San Francisco cards by Christina Henry de Tessan featuring self-guided adventures on foot around 40+ neighborhoods in the city. My hostess for my most recent trip had a set that I was going to borrow, but I decided I wanted my own set to carry and bang around and mark up.

I was researching locales for a novel I'm working on, and these cards proved to be invaluable. There's a level of detail in each neigbhorhood description that you don't always find in tour guides. Most importantly, the layout is compact and quite handy; the cards are pocket/purse side, with one side of each card features a close-up map of a given neighborhood and the other side tells you step-by-step which streets to take on your walking tour, which sites to stop for, the difficulty level of the walk, which bus to take to get to the starting point, and places to eat and shop.

You can find the cards at bookstores like Barnes & Noble. I'm hoping the series will make a set for Los Angeles soon. My other tip is that you get an SF Weekly and a Guardian. They seem to come out on Thursdays, and you can grab them just about anywhere. I would recommend getting both because I think the club listings in SF Weekly are more extensive, but the Guardian seems to have more alternative/funkier listings for places to go.

DRAGON TOWN

by pdm

What Little Havana is to Miami, Chinatown is to the City By The Bay---a large, exotic ethnic district. This place has had a long history in San Francisco---some of it, alas, quite shameful---Chinese laborers were brought to the not-so-Golden State for virtural slavery---and Chinatown began as a 19th century verson of Soweto, South Africa. But Asians in general, despite instances of "Yellow Peril" white racism, have built a realitively good life---and Chinatown has long been the biggest one in America---although in recent decades it has been overtaken by New York City.

Alcatraz + Giants

by Jos79

We did a night tour at Alcatraz and I really enjoyed it. On the way over to the island the sun was about to set behind the Golden Gate Bridge...great picture.
The tour itself was very entertaining and interesting, so well worth the money and time. The Giants match we watched was great, especially for a European like myself...we don't have baseball games like that.

Try the clam chowder soup at...

by samsudin

Try the clam chowder soup at Fisherman Wharf. Bring a wind breaker along because it get cold near the fisherman wharf. If you drive, it is expensive but some restaurant give discount for carpark. Approximately $20 per day for car park. Looking for magnets for gifts. There are plenty to choose from and you might get lucky to find gift that are unique and interesting.

I visited SFO for the first...

by glocgs

I visited SFO for the first time in the spring. It was absolutely perfect. For me, the bestview of SFO is from Sausalito. When visiting San Francisco take time and visit Napa Valley, taste the wine and bring home a bottle or two. Chinese Food

Comments