Encore Express

Satisfaction Average

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 21% less than similarly rated 2 star hotels

More about San Francisco

Old Port Cranes in View of Dogpatch NeighborhoodOld Port Cranes in View of Dogpatch Neighborhood

Cross between the old and the newCross between the old and the new

Java Beach Cafe, SFJava Beach Cafe, SF

The Thinker--Palace of the Legion of HonorThe Thinker--Palace of the Legion of Honor

San Francisco

by ZARINKASSIM

Hi! I'm from Brunei and I'm planning to visit San Francisco sometimes in June, can anyone advise me which area is the best place to stay, I'm looking for a medium rate hotel and plan to stay for about 2 weeks.

by angiebabe

VTers travel pages under the travel guide section for San Francisco Im sure youd find helpful to have a look at - with accommodation tips and all sorts of other info - and in the meantime see what specific answers you get here in the forum

by travelgourmet

It depends on your visit. Is it for business or pleasure? Two weeks and a smaller hotel/motel may give you a better rate. San Francisco has great public transportation and you could stay in most areas. I prefer downtown Union Square area for business and the Marina District for pleasure. Lombard St. in the Marina District has low to medium rate lodgings available. It is a little walk and a bus ride to Union Square or the Financial District. Perhaps knowing the Districts will help choose a location. See website: http://www.sanfrancisco.com/neighborhoods/

by goodfish

For a two-week stay I'd also recommend looking at an apartment versus a hotel. Having more room to spread out and certain amenities - such as laundry and kitchen facilities - can be very nice for long stays. We also have found that they're often less expensive than hotels.

Take a look at www.VRBO.com and www.homeaway.com. Only consider those with lots of photos and reviews, and never send a cash downpayment. Also read the fine print carefully for those that include taxes/cleaning fees in the nightly/weekly rate and those that charge those fees in addition to the rent.

Of course, you have to be willing to self-cater and do without room service/concierge/on-site restaurants and all but we never use those amenities anyway so much prefer having more room.

Travel Tips for San Francisco

Halloween Night in the Castro District

by riorich55

When we were planning our trip to California and San Francisco in particular I wanted to do a number of things I had never done on my frequent business trips to SF in the 80's and 90's. Sue had been with me to SF once for a couple of pleasure days before my business portion and at the time we took a Grayline Bus Tour which went through a number of neighborhoods, but only stopped at a few designated spots. We had passed through the Castro District on that bus tour, but only got a glimpse from our bus windows.

Since the first full day of the San Francisco part of the trip was on Halloween I decided we needed to make the evening a fun one. We had thought first about taking a ghost tour, but since we already had tours set up the next day for an architectural tour and Alcatraz I thought it might be more fun to go exploring on our own. I then thought about going to the Castro District to see what type of entertainment we could find. We originally were planning on bringing our own Halloween costumes (We must have at least a dozen different costumes in our attic) but I forgot and Sue decided that was getting a little too crazy. Anyway, after having dinner just down the street in the Mission District (another area we had briefly been too on our last trip), we walked up 18th Street to see what we could find. As we got closer to the main intersection of 18th and Castro the noise just kept getting louder. For one the Giants were playing the 4th game of the World Series in Texas and were just about to win going up 3 games to 1 and for the other we started seeing more and more people in costumes. And when we finally arrived in the blocks fanning out in all directions from 18th and Castro we found ourselves in an Adult Halloween Parade.

It was really, well interesting, and that is a far milder term for what it really was. There were throngs of people in and out of costume along with a small army of local SF police officers to make sure things didn't get out of hand (apparently a couple of years ago there was some violence with some gun shots fired). Everybody in costume was literally parading up one street and down another. The more outrageous the costumes the more picture taking was going on. Everybody relished the picture taking opportunities and we joined them as you can see from the pictures posted here and in the travelogue on Halloween. I also took some video which I will have to put together in a montage to share.

All in all a very very interesting Halloween Night!!

street scene

by doreenellen

What a lovely sight from the boat, the streets of San Fran, lit up by the sun. They are so steep, you really suffer if try to walk up them. The best way is by cable or bus. It is a great way to spend a day out around the bay area which views all around you. I hope to return one day to visit the many buildings and shops that did not manage to see on this trip. I though it was a colourful, scenic and vibrant place.

the best "chain store" coffee!

by jglsongs

San Francisco is filled with coffee chains - and not only Starbucks, but there is one smaller coffee chain whose coffee is amazing!

Torrefazione Italia is not the most well known chain (only a few stores, mostly in the western US), but it comes the closest to European coffee bars (the ones whose counters are crowded with locals with the coffee in one hand and a cigarette in the other). Since this is California, there are no counters and cigarettes, but the coffee will resemble Europe. The Torrefazione Italia on Battery St. (at California) in the Financial District is the one I know, and their Doppio Americano got me started every morning!

This is me (aged 21!) at the...

by nieldy

This is me (aged 21!) at the foot of Lombard Street, the crookedest street. The film 'What's Up Doc' was a favourite of mine as a kid, and part of a chase scene was filmed here.
Five minutes earlier, I'd bumped into 2 people I knew from university in England. Remember, it's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it!

See the sights, all the things...

by bonio

See the sights, all the things you've seen on TV are there, do not miss the bridge, Lombard St, trams ahhh there's too much, just go!! When we arrived we had a couple of hours until we had to return the hire car, so we drove down Lombard St and then across the Golden Gate, unforgettable.

Comments