Four Seasons San Francisco

Four Seasons Hotel San Francisco
Booking.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Costs 75% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• madamx's Profile Photo

When Someone Else is Paying ...

I highly recommend this hotel if someone else is paying or if you have deep pockets for that very special occaision. In our case, my husband's company had deep pockets, and we had no idea what a wonderful experience we were in for as I arrived for a week's visit and my husband went to a software conference.

DISCRETION is the operative word here; this is the perfect hotel to hide out in or have a discreet rendevous. The bell desk is located up an alleyway, and the main desk is located 5 floors up from the bell desk. The main entrance on Market Street has silver lettering the same grey as the elegant outdoor granite walls, so you could very easily walk by the hotel if the doorman wasn't present.

The Seasons restaurant, washrooms and business centre, and elevators are all hidden behind half walls, so it can be very confusing for about a day and a half to find your way around or even out.

Unique Quality: This hotel is a quiet, pampering oasis after experiencing the hubbub of San Francisco, and the staff cannot do enough for you. The decor is modern, warm and very elegant, but not over the top that you're afraid to sit down and relax on any of the comfy couches in the lounge area -- complete with gas fireplace and dubbed "The Living Room". I could not get over the decor -- all sight lines in the main areas are amazingly Architectural Digest-perfect.. The staff are so accomodating you do often wonder if they are for real, but they are genuine and do want you to have a good experience and I felt like I was saying goodbye to friends as we checked out.

The Frette sheets and L'Occitaine bath products are to die for, plus the turn-down service (those maids MUST carry an iron for those 600-count cotton duvet covers, I don't know how they get them so smooth) is complete with soft lighting and smooth jazz turned on your personal radio/cd player. All beds have down pillows and comforters. The pictures of the rooms on their website is very accurate.

If you want to stay here, please, puuuuleease spring for a view suite -- you will thank yourself. The rooms are bigger and either get a view of Market Street or Yuerba Buena Gardens; also, book on the high floors as the traffic can get pretty noisy. The bathrooms are all marble and huge, complete with separate shower and soaking tub.

This hotel is walking distance to many sites and shopping, and is also very convenient to public transit. The staff are very helpful in helping you find your way around, plus the hotel can give you a good map of the area.

Directions: If arriving by car, ask the hotel for specific directions, as your entrance will NOT be on Market Street.

More about Four Seasons San Francisco

Four Seasons is top notch

by TripAdvisor Member FloridaTempo

The Four Seasons San Francisco provided superior service. The location is great - right in the heart if upscale shopping. The conceirge was so helpful and friendly. I highly recomend this hotel!

The Lap of Luxury

by TripAdvisor Member Lady_World_Traveller

The Four Seasons Hotel San Francisco is fabulous; the rooms and hotel are beautifully decorated. The service is fantastic: room service is 1/2 an hour during peak times (and the food was hot), the turndown service is complete with a bottle of water and soft jazz, the doormen are extremely pleasant and very helpful. I can't say enough about it. We came back from our week there feeling extremely relaxed and pampered. Also made use of the town car several times, it's a wonderful service. Just take note that the town car is available on a first-come, first-served basis, so be down at the bell desk at least 40 minutes before you plan to arrive to your destination so you're not disappointed.

The food is excellent in the Seasons Restaurant, don't miss out on the ice tea and the open-faced crab sandwich, also the Chunky chicken soup! Lunch is a better bet as breakfast is very expensive, and the dinner menu seems limited. For lunch, go about 1 pm for a prime window seat that overlooks Market Street. The hotel is in a prime location, you can walk everywhere. The only downside is that the lobby is on the 5th floor, and the bell desk/entrance is on the ground floor, and trying to find your way around can be very confusing at first.

Make sure and spring for a view suite; the suite is just a little bit bigger, and if you're spending that much anyway, what's a little bit more. A bottle of champagne (not sparkling wine, good quality champagne) and a plate of chocolates and strawberries were left for us for our anniversary.

Definitely worth the splurge for that special occaision. We are trying to think of a "special occaision" to go back next year. This hotel is a 7 star!

Great as Usual

Stayed weekend of May 28-30 as I usually do when in SF. Experienced another great stay. They didn't have the type of room that I wanted so they upgraded me to an executive suite. Since I had to wait they took care of our bar tab in the lounge that evening. Although I have not been there in more than a year my favorite newspaper was hanging on my door every morning. Whenever the bellman that assisted me upon arrival saw us he would greet us by name. These are some of the reasons I always stay at a Four Seasons whenever possible.

The Best for Kids

Frommers reccommends the Pan Pacific. We stayed 2 nights at the Pan Pacific and 1 at the Seasons. The Four Seasons is the best. Childrens amenities were in our room on arrival. The kids room serivce menu is great. Location on Market near Union Sqaure and Nordstroms in good.
Usually we stay at a Four Seasons but opted to try the Pan Pacific based on Frommers. Never again.

Simple Elegance

We love the Four Seasons because we are not overwhelmed with staff . Whenever we have a need, they are right there to make sure everything is taken care of for us. This hotel was very elegant. Getting to the registration desk was a little confusing, but the doorman makes sure you have the instructions you need. The main entrance to the hotel is on a side street. There is an entrance on Market Street that you would use when you are walking.We missed our chocolates at turn down, but the water was a nice touch. The hair stylist Sebastian was great, as was the colorist ,Angela at the Joseph Cozza salon in the hotel. The dinner menu was limited, but the quantity of food was generous, and delicious. For a large city hotel, the rooms were large and beautiful. My husband loved the complimetary shoe shine and the large shower, not to mention the wonderful bed and linens. The exercise facility is a health club, and it was quite busy with the club members. The swimming pool was a lap pool. so I did not get to lounge around the pool. That was a little disappointing.

A San Francisco Treat

Our experience at the Four Seasons this past week-end was a definite treat of a lifetime. My partner and I celebrated her 33rd birthday in the city and I'm almost certain that our stay at the Four Seasons definitely takes the cake! The service was stellar and everyone in the staff was friendly but not to the point of being over bearing. Our spacious room on the 16th floor had an excellent view of Market and the bathroom was also big and immaculately clean.

This might have been our first stay at the Four Seasons but certainly won't be the last! Certainly a memorable experience!

Best Birthday Stay

by TripAdvisor Member adige

I decided to stay overnight at the famous Four Seasons for my birthday. Although I am close, Mountain View, I figured it would be nice to be treated like a princess for the day.

We drove up and at first had trouble getting to the hotel because of a 'love' parade that was happening on Market. But once the valet took the keys from us, it was smooth sailing. What can I say, they hooked me up with a corner room on the 16th floor, although I only paid for a moderate room. I believe that I was given a deluxe view room. I felt so spoiled. Floor-to-ceiling, windows with a panoramic view of the city!

We headed down for cocktails at the Seasons Bar. The atmosphere was laid back and enjoyable. Then we went shopping in Union Square, which is only two blocks away. We came back and head to the gym, Sports Club/LA. My husband went swimming and played some basketball. We did not get the chance to use all the facilities as we had two friends coming by for cocktails and dinner. Rushed back upstairs to change and wow, there was a nice big slice of chocolate cake waiting for me with a big happy birthday on it! :)
What a nice touch!

We all had dinner at the Four Season's restaurant. It was delightful.

When we returned to our rooms, the bed had been turned down, the curtains were drawn, the light low, comforting music had been turned on, and waters place on both of our stands. We sank into the duvet covers and sweet dreams until the morning.

The next day I had a 90 minute massage at Splash. It was wonderful. The masseuse was worked my muscles into liquid puddy. Ahhhh! Check out was too soon.

Always Wonderful

I have stayed here 3 times. I have stayed at other Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, and Peninsula Hotels. This is the best city/business hotel I have stayed in. Everytime is a delight. The concierge is excellent-always securing us difficult to get dining reservations or other great finds. Additionally, they have helped us with other travel plans by making hotel and restaurant reservations in Napa, Sonoma, and Monterey that were all excellent. The front desk is extremely professional and courteous. The rooms are excellent with nice bed linens and views. The lychee martini is the absolute best I have had in the world. They have a local car that can take you to your destination when available. You have complimentary access to The LA sports club which is a first rate fitness center. I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

SF 4 Seasons Top Notch

by TripAdvisor Member boscoe55

Spent the holidays visiting family while staying at the Four Seasons SF. My luxury chain of choice certainly did not disappoint. Upon arrival we were offered a two notch upgrade to a large corner one bedroom suite for about half the rack rate due to the far less than full house during the holidays - still a monster tab but worth it considering a 19 year old was under tow and we needed some space. The room was well appointed with a few very minor exceptions noted below. As in other 4 Seasons locations, the staff is impeccably trained - pleasant, patient and responsive.

The bar and restaurant were comfy with a second floor view of the Market Street shopping and work bustle. While the holidays kept the hotel lobby traffic to a minimum, we found where all the action was - the fourth floor health club - a very well appointed workout facility with a serious local membership. This is a high end club for the downtown working crowd that happens to share its facilities with the hotel - not the other way around.

While the hotel location is perfect for nearby pedestrian shopping in the Union Square area and in walking distance to the Financial District, its location directly on Market Street has its drawbacks. The street life there might be charitably called "colorful," though the posted street side doorman acts as a vigilent sentry if some of the "visitors" stray to close to the hotel. The hotel has countered this in its design with a very private, almost secret, sidestreet passage to a sheltered well attended rear driveway vehicle entrance. Upon arrival at ground level either via the street sidewalk or the rear drive, one must take an elevator to the second floor, the true lobby of the hotel.

Our suite had the usual Four Seasons accoutrements - a stereo in every room, cashmere throws on the bed, fresh fruit, a large modern marble bath, with an overall look and feel of relative newness. A few small peccadillos - the master bath water closet was accesssed by a door that so wide that it appeared to be for wheelchair access, but there was barely enough room behind it for the toilet much less a thin flexible person in need trying to close the door behind him or her. I found myself nearly standing on the toilet just to have room to get the door closed. Second issue: I find that many urban Four Seasons, including this one, have terribly underengineered A/C units. The units are not well integrated in the room. In this suite bedroom, half of the single vent blew wastefully into the window curtains while the other half focused an annoying draft on the bed.

Last issue (and this is a beef I have with most of the luxury chains): if one is willing to pay astronomical rates for urban luxury, I do not believe one should be nickled and dimed (more appropriately, fived and tenned) for obvious modern needs like high speed internet access and phone service. Hotel phone charges in high end hotels should be declared illegal. Example: charge for dialing a 10 second wrong number in Texas - $12.

Will I stay again at this Four Seasons, you bet - only I will be sure to bring my laptop for the local free wireless access and use my cell phone for everything except room service.

Comments