1501 Lombard St, San Francisco, California, 94123, United States

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 54% more and rated 22% lower than other 3 star hotels

• HarmoniousBotch's Profile Photo

A twisted tale on Lombard Street

On the net, this looked like a deal: cheap, good amenities, off-street parking, and close to Fort Mason where I was doing business.

Things began to go badly when I opened the door. The perfume smell was strong enough to gag a Parisian skunk. I told the clerk that I wanted another room, and he replied that there were no other rooms available. Fortunately I had checked in early, so I opened the windows and left for several hours. On my way out, the neon sign said 'vacancy'.

When I got back, it was breathable, but cold. So I closed the windows and turned on the heater, only to find that the drapes were too long and they covered the vents of the heater, and they flopped around in the airflow. I finally found a way to get the drapes tied up out of the way of the heater but so that they covered most of the window, and settled down to sleep. Within ten minutes I was sweating, for the sheets were cheap polyester.

During the night I was awakened regularly by traffic noises: that part of Lombard is one of the main routes through the city and has trucks driving on it all night. Every time I was awakened, I could see - through the gap in the drapes that I could not close - the glaring red 'vacancy' sign.

In the morning, I found that the allegedly 'continental' breakfast was little more than a pot of coffee, a bottle of orange juice, and a box of dry donuts.

Directions: Directions? Go someplace else. Perhaps the Stanyan Park or the Park Hyatt.

More about Francisco Bay Inn

Fab!

The Francisco Bay Inn was a pleasant surprise. Good value, clean room with a massive bathroom but the best thing about it was the service. The couple who ran the hotel were so helpful and gave us lots of useful advice. It was possible to walk to Fisherman's Wharf and the area felt very safe even when walking back late at night. By catching a bus on nearby Chestnut you can go practically anywhere in the City. Impressive!

Somewhat disappointing

This hotel was in a pretty good location without the usually-associated price, however it does have some low points. The street is extremely noisy all night long and the walls are very thin. The room small, the bathroom adequate (but with several hairs in the tub - not ours!) Continental breakfast it is not: Tang, instant coffee and cellophane-wrapped Danishes only. The soda machine was always sold out. Yes, the parking is free and there is a view of the Bridge from the top floor. It's not awful, but if you're looking for a bit more comfort after a long day of walking the city, look elsewhere.

A clean 2/3 star hotel but a 5 star live on premise married management team

by TripAdvisor Member BrentD

My wife and I decided one day last week to take a 5 day get away to SF. Low plane fare R/t from CVG to SFO $228. Even took my parents on a whim as they have never been to SF before. Got on this site not looking to stay at the Ritz but something that Trip advisor rates high. I have put my trust in this site in the past for various Europe trips and have yet to be disappointed. This hotel is by no means a 4-5 star, but it is a great value for the money. The rooms are very clean, the tub,bath were spotless. Beds have brass head boards and were very comfortable. The managers are a married couple Jay and Hemmy, (I don't think I spelled her name right, so pardon me). They live on premise, and took care of every request we had. You are 15 minutes to outer end of the wharf. Very safe surroundings. Famous Lombard crooked area three blocks from hotel. Parking was free, but we had other transportation most of the time. Isuggest a Limo thru Bauer limo ask for William Bennett driver, for 90.00 pick up from sfo in stretch., There are refrigs and micros in each room, blow dryer, iron coffee maker etc. Look.....you will not find a nicer front desk or clean hotel for this price. It is not a 4/5 star, but for a resonable place to stay ,clean and friendly, this is a great choice. As far as the previous reader being critical on the free breakfast....get over it...the attempt by this managing couple to make your stay pleasant is magnanimous, the light breakfast is another plus if you wish to partake. There are plenty of coffee shops within a 2 block radius . Would recommend this to anyone looking to have a safe clean room with home feel management. If looking for more, I suggest a hotel closer to wharf, but the price will triple.

Great hotel, warm and inviting

What a great find! I had to give it a try based on tripadvisor's reviews and the reasonable price. So I whisked away my lovin' man for a romantic getaway and we had a blast.

First off, we made an unexpected detour over the Bay Bridge into Oakland and got clear directions from Jay by cell phone. Once we arrived at the hotel Jay was very helpful, showing us all the do's and don'ts of the city on a map. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable.

We did have a problem the next morning, when a rude family decided to hold a loud conversation in front of our window at 7:30 a.m. (tip: DO NOT STAY IN ROOM 101, which is right next to the office), but as soon as we called, the problem was rectified. Minor issue; we would definitely stay again. To anyone who has a problem with the breakfast and lobby at this budget hotel, I would suggest spending a little (or more likely, a lot) more and staying next time at the Hyatt.

Good value and location

We stayed at the Francisco Inn July 15th 2004 for several days while visiting the city and Napa Valley. It offered free parking and off street parking is at a premium in SF.
It was clean and well-priced. The staff was friendly and very helpful with directions. Good budget place to stay for those with cars.

San Francisco Bay Area

by 100ACRE

For a larger version of this map click here

I created lots of Travel Pages of the San Francisco Bay Area -- Napa, Carmel, Carmel Valley, Point Reyes & Healdsburg --

All my listings are here San Francisco Bay Area

Sailing in San Francisco Bay

by capjack

Lodging no problem> It goes with you! So nice to fall asleep hearing the lapping of the waves against the hull and the gentle rocking of the boat>

Early morning. Nice, smooth sailing. NOT MUCH EXCITEMENT!!.. but relaxing.

On the horizon-- San Francisco. Just in front of it the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge.

Federal Prison on Alcatraz Island in San Francisco Bay

San Francisco bay :)

by europalover

"my life, my peace"

I love San Francisco so much. The people are so friendly, everyone is smiling, and the culture is sophisticated without the pretentious air of New York. San Francisco is your typical Euro city with American resources and lots of Asian faces. Why wouldn't it be the ideal city? It's in California, has got the Silicon Valley right by it, and yet still remembers the more carefree hippy days of yesteryear. San Fran does however, have a high rate of homeless people, and a chilly wind chill factor that will leave the bay at about 60 degrees Faranhiet year round. Cross the Golden Gate Bridge and you are in the warm California sun. Another really great thing is that the city is so small, you may not even need a car. You can take it by foot, as long as you are willing to endure the 45 degree steep hills and winding paths.
Walking around San Fran is place to go enough if you are looking for interesting neighbourhoods. But if you are really anxious to sneak a peek at some freaks, take a bus to Haight-Ashbury for an afternoon of San Fran Soho and a scoop of Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream.

Places to Go It is a nice walk though up Nob Hill, or dubbed Snob Hill, past Grace Cathedral, and down to Chinatown. Go to the north, and you will find the Financial District and North Beach- the birth place of the Beat Generation. Fisherman's Wharf is this tourist spot that really conjures up images of what an old market by the pier must have been like. And then of course, there is the elite and exclusive Russian Hill. An area of townhouses that look more quaint than expensive and regal. What is even more facinating is that the majority of its residents are Volkswagen driving young professionals- gives you a clue as to the living standard and salaries offered in the Bay area.

San Francisco Bay to Breakers Race

by michaeldds

"Bay to Breakers Race"

Only in San Francisco- a 7 mile race with about 100,000 runners, walkers, naked people and Elvis.
Bring a camera cause the race is crazy.

"What the?"

Clothes optional.

"Sexy"

Hooters Girls? In San Francisco, you can be anybody you want.

San Francisco Bay AreaSan Francisco Bay Area

San Francisco BaySan Francisco Bay

View of San Francisco BayView of San Francisco Bay

San Francisco BaySan Francisco Bay

San Francisco Bay Neighborhoods

by WassAndSam

Hi !

We're about to spend one year in SF as expatriates. I've started searching the web for flat or house rentals out of "the City", both to avoid the SF summer fog and too long commuting drives to Milpitas, where my husband will be working. Would you please be as kind as to let me know which are, in your opinion, the nice, safe places to live in there ?
San Jose, Santa Clara, Burlingame or Redwood are at the moment to me just spots on a map, and I have no idea of what they really look like, and how living there really is. I'd really be grateful if someone could tell me about those places (or others !).
Thanks for your valuable help in advance !
Wass.

RE: San Francisco Bay Neighborhoods

by Jokerit_pl

How far outside of the city do you wish to live?

If distance isn't an issue, then i'd recommend San Jose or Santa Clara as they are the closest to Milpitas. I lived in both San Jose and Santa Clara for a number of years. Santa Clara is a nice place to live throughout, though pricey since it's right in the middle of high-tech heaven. San Jose is also a good place, but would avoid most of downtown and the east side.

Burlingame is close to SF airport, so noise might be an issue. Redwood City is about 1/2 way between SF and Milpitas. I knew someone who lived in Redwood City and the area is ok. You might want to get another opinion as I don't know those areas too well.

As for other areas to look at, try Fremont. It's on the SE side of the SF Bay close to Milpitas. I worked there for awhile and can say Fremont is a nice area to live.

by bevjerry

Fremont is a good place to live it's safe, has good shopping and it's on the proper side of the Bay if your husband will be working in Milpitas. Burlingame and Redwood City would require him to commute across a bridge on a daily basis. Not only will it be an extra expence to pay the toll but the rush hour traffic is miserable.

by Jokerit_pl

Oh yeah, I forgot how bad the commute is across the Dumbarton. But which way is worse in the morning, east to west or vice versa? or does it matter? It's been awhile since I travelled that route.

by bevjerry

I can't speak about the morning rush hour but the afternoon is definitely bad from West to East. All of the freeways on the East side are also a mess at the afternoon rush so I suspect the traffic is bad in both directions in both the morning and afternoon rush.

RE: San Francisco Bay Neighborhoods

by LexIII

One of the most beautiful towns to stay in is Los Gatos. It is 35 minutes from the coast (over the mountains) and 15 minutes from San Jose. Fantastic restaurants, great outdoors, wonderful downtown. The very, very best.

Comments