753 Bush Street, San Francisco, California, 94108, United States

The Grant Hotel
Booking.com Expedia.com Priceline.com

• Muya's Profile Photo

For a good stay in San Francisco

Grant Hotel was a good surprise ! We loved the cosy room with wooden furniture and the special closet for the luggage, quite roomy in fact ! Better than what we had expected!
    We found the entrance of the hotel also rather charming.

Breakfast was nothing particular, but not that bad : cakes and coffee, and juices.

Parking facilities in the building just in front of the hotel (discount with your room).

Unique Quality: One of the employees at the reception desk was really helpful. He patiently showed us, on a map he gave us, all the spots in the city that are worth seeing. And he also told us the best time to take the best pictures according to the sun.
    Well, although we didn't understand everything he said in his Chinese-english, we had a good idea of where to start and at what time...even if the map was bearly readable after the tons of comments he wrote on it :-)
    But we appreciated his advice a lot, so thank you, Sir !

Directions: At the foot of Nob Hill.
    Near Union Square and Chinatown

• Centrally located

This no frills hotel was pleasant and had the necessary facilities one needs when visiting a city purely for tourist purposes. Rooms were clean, secure and surprisingly quiet considering ours overlooked the street. Cable car was 1 minute walk. The only drawback is the male strip club next door, but even then there was little action coming from that place. Pay car parking right across the street.

Unique Quality: Very friendly service. Took a while to workout how to use the shower though.

Directions: Near Union Square

• kidkilowatt's Profile Photo

Not Recommended, Despite The Bargain

The Grant Hotel came highly recommended by Frommers as a great deal. When we arrived late at night, they were easy to find (a block up from the gates to Chinatown) and accomodating with setting us up with a room and recommending parking (they did not have a lot- we had to pay extra for parking around the corner). The place seemed nice enough but the room was sub-par. It was not the cleanest, meaning there was a hair in the bathroom and nasty grit and dirt in between the bathroom tiles. Over all, it had a kind of dusty, grimy feel to it. Our stay there was only one day long before we moved to the Inn San Francisco for the rest of our visit. This is a good place to come for one night, or even for a whole trip if you do not mind grime and are looking for cheap lodging (like $60 for the night). I will add (I heard recently) that they have been renovations there and perhaps we were on one of the floors that had yet to be renovated, which could account for all my complaints. If this rumor is true, your stay might be a lot more pleasant than ours. Bottom line: cheap but a little on the dirty side with a not so comfortable bed.

Directions: As you enter the gates to Chinatown,hotel is on the left corner of the first block

More about Grant Hotel

Grant Hotel was great!

by TripAdvisor Member kateoz

We really liked this hotel. A friend and I stayed for 5 nights from 16-21 January.

Check in was easy and the desk clerk was wonderful - he got us a map and gave us recommendations of things to see and do, and also places to eat. We had booked a room with a queen bed to save $10 a night, but he upgraded us to a room with 2 doubles, which was great ($70 per night).

The rooms are older but very clean. Perhaps a bit small, but we certainly managed. A room with one queen bed would be better, just to have a bit more room to move.

Included breakfast was fine, just pastries and coffee. If you want juice it's $1.

It's a wonderful location, just minutes walk from the cable car to Fisherman's Wharf and the shopping area (Nordstrom, Macys, Tiffany & Co, Gap, Louis Vuitton - you name it).

Would stay again. Great value for money.

Nice hotel great location

Stayed at the grant hotel in mid january for 3 nights. the rooms were comfortable and adequate for the cost. great location on bush street half a block uphill from powell st. breakfast of tea\coffee and pastries were taken in reception. very nice.

good hotel, great price

by TripAdvisor Member jennybeansMN

My husband and I just returned from a 5 night stay at the Grant Hotel. We picked this hotel based on the reviews on this website, and were pleased with the Grant. We travel quite a bit, so room size is never an issue with us. The room was a decent size, and so was the bathroom. As far as the bathtub being so small, I am 5'9 and took a long, hot bath one night after coming in from the wind with no problem.

The location is excellent, except for the fact that I am 6 1/2 months pregnant and the final hill was a bit steep for me, but this is San Francisco after all, and I expected that. The staff was very friendly, although their English isnt very good. We asked for 2 extra pillows, and they happily gave them to us. I accidentally left my wedding ring in my room, and I panicked thinking that they wouldnt understand how to ship it back to us. But, they took care of it, informed the enitre staff, and it is now on its way back to me, thank goodness!

The breakfast was fine for me, as I am a pastry lover. My husband grabbed food elsewhere, but to be able to have as much as you want for free at a good hotel is a plus. As a previous reviewer wrote, Loris Diner is a good place for dinner, or dessert! There is also a small Italian place right across the street called Uncle Vitos that serves good food.

Transportation is excellent, you can grab a trolley car at the corner or take a bus or BART when needed. Chinatown and Union Square are within walking distance.

I recommend this hotel, and would not hesitate to stay here again on a future visit to San Francisco. Enjoy!

Little Gem in the City By the Bay

Whoever wrote the previous review must have very good imagination or must went to a wrong place. Here I am sitting in the lovely lobby of Grant Hotel, cozy and quiet, enjoying the free internet access. I noticed the lobby entrance is wheelchair accessable.

I have to admit that the service is basic, there is no doorman or fancy decoration as some big hotel would have, but the room is very clean and the staffs are nice and helpful. We are here for the city, not the hotel anyway. I would rather stay in such a reasonable priced hotel right in downtown than paying higher room rate for the doorman, decoration and some room amenities that I don't even bother to use.

I am really enjoying my stay here.

Comfortable and friendly

My husband and I booked ourselves into this hotel last year as a last minute choice (based on TripAdvisor reviews!)and thoroughly enjoyed the stay. In fact we are just about to book ourselves another stay for this year. It is perfectly located, very pleasant and helpful staff and adequate rooms (this is from a Brit and US point of view too - I'm English and my husband is American). Only downsides are that the bathrooms are "tired" - nasty experience with blocked toilet! - but which was quickly and efficiently sorted out. Also, if you are thinking of staying with young children - the back room windows have low windowsills and NO safety bars!

don't be decieved by the photo this place is a dump

centrally located...the staff was cold, indifferent and always using the microwave...the chronic smell of chinese food will have you gagging...there was an old guy in a wheelchair camped out in the lobby like some creepy maschot...the decor was dated...think circa 1959 boarding house...nightmarish...dingy carpet...smoke stains as if there had been a fire and no one bothered to clean up afterwards....i kept expecting a pimp with platform shoes, a long fur coat and a bowl of noodles to kick in my door...

Good location, not fancy hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Lorena17

This is a budget hotel, nothing fancy at all, if you are going to be out and need a hotel just for sleep and a place to have your luggage, this will work perfect plus is centraly located near union square, chinatown and bus stop. It is safe to walk at nite. They have an included pastry breakfast, coffee and tea every morning. There was something going on with the plumbing because it made a weird noise everytime water was used in the bathroom. And the first room they gave us had a problem with the lock so was open, since it was near an outside stair we requested to be change and they gave us another room facing a wall inside, but it was more quite.

If we go back someday on a budget again, I sure will go back to the Grant

Entrance to Chinatown on Grant, San FranciscoEntrance to Chinatown on Grant, San Francisco

by LVVINO

Hello everyone!
Is anyone familiar with the Grant Hotel located at 753 Bush Street? I wanted to make the reservation but wanted a little input from other members.
I have never been to San Francisco and I am looking for a place that has transportation near and I was told the cable cars have a stop about 1/2 a block away.
How about safety in the area I saw in the map that there are very nice and expensive hotels close by.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Re: Grant Hotel

by mccalpin

I did not stay at the Grant, but stayed at the Andrews which is 2 blocks south and 1 block west, I think.

The cable car is indeed very near runs up Powell, I think). Union Square is now full of very upscale shopping, which means that while you have street people, there are police and 'bouncers' everywhere as well. Just ignore the street people and they shouldn't hassle you.

We were there several years ago at Thanksgiving with my wife and her mother, and had no problem with the area. Most of the stuff you'll want to go to will be east into the little French area around the French consulate and Our Lady of Victory Catholic Church (even has masses in French), or east then north into Chinatown. And we did walk east then south across Market one day to get to a theater.

If the price is right for you, it's an OK neighborhood...

Bill

Re: Grant Hotel

by yvr

You had better take a look at the following website which posts reviews of hotels by past guests. There seems to be alot of negatives about this particular hotel. www.tripadvior.com or you can use a search engine, just put in reviews grant hotel san francisco then when the selections come up you can click on tripadvisor this way it will save you time looking through all the reviews to find the Grant Hotel ones.

Comments