465 Grant Avenue, San Francisco, California, 94108, United States

Travelocity Booking.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Average

• Great location, clean room and friendly service

We checked in around 11AM and the desk clerk is nice to allow us to check in to our room early. The room is small but nicely furnished, and the guest service is very friendly. Location is excellent and it is convenient to walk to Union Square shopping and restaurants in Chinatown. It is also safe for us to walk at night in this neighborhood, compared to our friend’s hotel which is in the Union Square/ tenderloin area and they paid even more. Look like this hotel has renovated their room furnishings. We will come back and stay here again, and recommend this hotel to our friends

Unique Quality: We have a great view of Chinatown and financial district from our room window.

Directions: Gateway to Chinatown, one block from the Ritz Carlton hotel and cable car line.

• Great location and fits the budget

Because of availability, my wife and I spent the first night in a room with a double bed, and the last three in a room with a queen. The room with the double was VERY small. Barely enough room to put a suitcase on the floor. However, it was clean and served its primary purpose: a place to sleep. My advice would be to book a room with a queen. All of the queens are on the top (6th) floor and the rooms are larger and more comfortable. There is still some traffic noise, but the higher room was quieter. The showers in both rooms were hot and had great water pressure. For a cheap, clean place to sleep in the middle of it all, you could do a lot worse.

Unique Quality: The location was great! A block inside the Dragon Gate in the heart of Chinatown. Easy access to all points of the city as the California Cable Car (east-west line) was a block away, and the Powell Street lines were 2-3 blocks away. My wife and I both felt safe walking in the area after dark as well. And while there is no breakfast provided, you are a block from a Starbucks and a French cafe.

Directions: Corner of Grant and Pine Streets in Chinatown

• shohman's Profile Photo

very small, but great location

I'm not into luxury hotels, I'd much rather spend my money on other things. Grant Plaza is in a great location, Chinatown, and very cheap (214 for 3 days) but the room was VERY small. I felt like I was going to fall off my tiny bed.
    After I booked, I read several horrible reviews about how dirty this place was, mine room was clean, but they did skip a day of cleaning.

Unique Quality: staff was very nice and helpful.

• chuber's Profile Photo

Price + location = PERFECT

If you are comfortable dropping $150/night on hotels, don't stay here. You can find a larger room and nicer hotel for that price. HOWEVER, if you hate the thought of spending a lot on a room you will hardly ever be in, then this place is beyond PERFECT! The room was small, very small. The interior is NOT Travelodge "nice", it is San Fran rustic. But it was clean and bug/spider-web free .... and amazingly only $52/night. The hotel was sold out the 3 days we were there, so we are not the only one's loving the deal. THE LOCATION IS AWESOME! Just inside the gates of Chinatown, two block up from Union Square, 15 minute walk to the Embarcadero and an easy stroll from the Montgomery BART station.

Directions: At the gate to Chinatown

• yellowbell's Profile Photo

Small Rooms but Conveniently Located

Although this hotel is conveniently located being right at the midst of Chinatown, the room is terribly small. The staff is friendly. They have a small business center where you can purchase your internet card and use their PCs.

As with all hotels near Chinatown, you can purchase knick-nacks or souvenir items in nearby stores at a lower price.

• tinyvulture's Profile Photo

excellent Chinatown location

Grant Plaza Hotel is an old building but the lobby is cute and well-lit. Everyone I spoke to was very helpful and courteous. It's centrally located in a safe area in the heart of Chinatown, within walking distance of Union Square, North Beach, the cable car lines, and many restaurants. I would have expected to pay far more for such a great location, but it was only about $60 a night for a small, basic room with a double bed and private bath. The bathroom has only a shower--no bath tub--but good water pressure and plenty of hot water. Extremely clean, color TV, hair dryer, electronic key card door locks, alarm clock, computers in lobby (but you have to pay extra to use them). If you plan on spending most of your time outside of your hotel, but still want a clean and comfortable place to rest your head at night, then stay here. The only downside to my stay was that there was no mini-fridge in the room which made it hard to stick to a food budget by eating cereal, etc. in the room. There is a Coke machine and ice machine in the lobby, however.

Unique Quality: Ask for a room facing Grant St., on one of the upper floors. You'll get an interesting view of Chinatown, but not too much street noise. The concierge told me that the rooms on the top floor are bigger and have the best views, but they do cost more.

Directions: One block north of the Chinatown gate

• Kilfane's Profile Photo

At the Gateway of ChinaTown

It is a very clean hotel situated at the Gateway of Chinatown. Quality room service makes sure that clean bedsheets are spread before you come back from your excursions. The people are friendly and are willing to give advice on where to visit or eat in the city. Just ask and they will tell you. Food is not a problem when staying in this hotel. Eateries are located within walking distance. There is a starbucks 1 block away as well as a MacDonalds. Since it is in Chinatown, there are also chinese restaurants closed by. For finer dining, you can head down to union square and market street to fine the culinary cuisine. Travel on foot up to Columbus and you will fine little Italy where pizza and pasta are the main-fare. The trolley is two blocks away the hotel and it will allow you to ride on the powell-mason and powell-hyde line.

Unique Quality: It you need an iron and board to doing ironing of clothes or a kettle to boil water, please make a reservation before hand because they are limited and usually there is a high demand for them.

If you have more than 4 persons on the trip, ask for special accomodations from the hotel and see what is the best solution that they can come up with. It might save you a fair amount of money

Directions: Travel down montgomery and turn into pine street on the right and travel up. Grant Plaza Hotel is located on the left side of the street on the corner of pine and grant.

• Djinn76's Profile Photo

Cheap hotel in the center of SF

This was one the cheapest hotel I found on the web! I was slightly scared about what I would find but that was very nice. Of course it was not a wonderful room but everything was clean and the staff was really friendly. What do you need more?

Unique Quality: Couldn't be better located, in the heart of Chinatown, close to everything. If you don't like chineese food, Little Italy is at 5-10 min walking.

Check their website regularly for promotion, normal price for my room was above 60$. I got it at 49$ but I've just realised there was another promotion at 39$ Damned!!

Directions: In the heart of Chinatown

• alenkap's Profile Photo

Where we stayed while in SF

This small 4-floor hotel is in Chinatown, on Grant Avenue, at the Chinese Gate. After a long internet search to find the best deals combined with great location this is the hotel we decided on. It was high season during our visit, and I found it the cheapest hotel considering we didn't want to stay somewhere dodgy. It was clean and comfortable. The room was basic and a bit small compared to other hotels we stayed in CA, but you don't come to SF to spend time in your hotel room, do you?

Directions: Chinatown

More about Grant Plaza Hotel

No problems here!

We have just returned from our vacation in the USA. We spent 3 nights in San Fran at the Grant Plaza Hotel. I had read a lot of reviews and travel books regarding this hotel, so knew what I was in for - so to speak!
There were 6 of us sharing 2 rooms and we were put into interconnecting rooms on the 6th floor. This was great because it made the rooms feel bigger!! Yup they are pretty small (ours had 2 double beds), but they are clean and tidy and the bathrooms were recently refurbished. We spent so little time in our rooms (as all good travellers should!) that they were all we needed. No - there is no airconditioning, but we opened the two windows and let the fog roll in - had great nights sleep - with 3 in the room we all use earplugs anyway - so traffic noise wasn't a problem.
Such a handy location - walk down Powell Street to the pier for the flatest direct route possible!! Didn't actually use the trams (US$3 one way!!). Hired bikes to ride over the Golden Gate bridge - great fun!! Book Alcatraz in advance if possible (we were there on a weekend and had to get Stand By tickets - fully refundable - but got on the ferry first time!). Loved the 20minute internet cards available at reception for US$4. Grant Plaza is a great, handy place to stay.

Grant Plaza Hotel - SF

by snackster

Hello,

has anyone ever stayed at the Grant Plaza Hotel near Union Square? It looks to be good value (around $70) and in a good location.

thanks
Mark

RE: Grant Plaza Hotel - SF

by Travel2write

Grant is a very affordable place to stay. Although can be a pain if you have a rental car due to limited parking near Union Square!

RE: Grant Plaza Hotel - SF

by joscadi

I never stayed there, but I walk by it on my way to work. It is in a good location, safe, clean and yes, it is near Union Square, but more specifically it is in Chinatown, which isn't bad. It has a small clean lobby and it is very popular with small groups as I see tour vans in front of it all the time.

Given the price, and the location, it is probably the best that you can do.

RE: RE: Grant Plaza Hotel - SF

by snackster

Thanks for all your help. That's what makes this forum so great. You can't beat local knowledge!

thanks again