Grosvenor Suites

899 Pine Street, San Francisco, California, 94108, United States

• Great Value for Money

We stayed at the Grosvenor Suites for 10 nights; 2 adults and 2 kids under 6. Room for our porta cot too. The hotel staff were excellent; we arrived and they asked if we needed to park a vehicle while we got settled (used a shuttle) and they also asked if we needed a cot for the todler. We were on the 15th floor in a suite with two angles of the city scape. The view was awsome; right infront of the Mark Hopkins and diaginal from the Huntington Hotels. The location is excellent; 1 block from 2 cable car lines; Powell and also California. I marked location down by one as the hills are a challange after a long day out. The room was well equiped with full kitchen including large frigde and freezer plus toaster, coffee maker and micromave. Every morning breakfast was included on the ground floor from 6am till 9am; we used it most mornings to get started. The decor is fine; i read reviews were the decor was slammed; it's fine although not a 4/5 star hotel this is a well equiped vacation appartment and very comfortable. There's a Walgreens two blocks on Powell or a smaller store just one block on Powell. It's location is recommended as everyting is central including Union Square and China Town

Directions: Easy to explore SF from this location

• High on the Hill

I'm a little torn on how I should review this hotel. There are things I really liked about this hotel, and there are things I wasn't so crazy about. Not exactly a glowing review, but I'm still giving this hotel a luke-warm thumbs up. My wife and I stayed in a king-sized suite on the 14th floor.

What I did NOT like:
    - The decor is a little stale. If you're staying here for more than a few nights, as I did, you begin to miss modern furniture and bathroom fixtures.
    - The bed was not comfortable and the pillows were like folded up towels stuffed in a pillow case. I'm not sure who would consider this to be a king sized bed, but it was more like a queen.
    - Although the location is central, being on top of Nob Hill can make for a hellish walk when returning from Union Square or the Financial District.
    - If you're into serious touristy stuff, I would recommend staying at a hotel nearer to Fisherman's Wharf.
    - another point about the location - it isn't very close to Fisherman's Wharf, it's four blooks to Union Square, and the tour buses won't pick you up or drop you off there because they "bottom out" trying to get up the hill.
    - the lobby was... well, non-existant. (But who cares about the lobby anyway?)

Unique Quality: What I DID like:
    - By San Francisco standards, the rooms are very spatious and almost "homey".
    - The kitchenette takes up very little room but has pretty much everything you need for an extended stay.
    - The free continental breakfast - a small room just off the lobby has four tables and a staff member offering muffins, donuts, croissants, and various beverages. A nice touch!
    - The view kicks ass. (See photos.)
    - Very friendly and helpful staff. At first I thought the night-shift desk guy was a little weird, but he turned out to be very cool.
    - There is a liquor store less than a block down Pine Street. And you can keep your purchases cold in the fridge!
    - Most rooms seem to have a small balcony with chairs. The best part of that feature is that you can open the sliding door and get some actual fresh air into the room.
    - There is a 24 hour Wal-Green's pharmacy/drug store two blocks down the Hill.
    - The cable car stops less than a block away (right by the liquor store!)
    - The price was high, but not as high as any comparable hotel I looked into or have stayed at in San Fran.

So although there are a few negatives, I still give this hotel a thumbs up.

Directions: Corner of Pine and Mason
    On Nob Hill

Note that the 800 number only works within the US!

• drummerliz's Profile Photo

a highrise apartment for a week

My sister and her family stay here. It's part hotel, part apartment building and It's good for stays of a week or more. Fantastic views, floor to ceiling windows, living room, ktichen area, bedroom and bath. perfect for a family of four and very affordable. one block from the powell street cable car line and central to everything. plus the brown twins live here-you may see them on the elevator

Directions: Nob Hill

• aah_stone's Profile Photo

SF Super Fine accomodation

This was to be our home for 3 nights while we explored San Francisco. Unfortunately due to various problems, like bad weather and being stranded in Dallas overnight, we only had 2 nights here.

A shame, because this was a fantastic value place to stay. For £32 per person per night (booked through expedia).

The beds were very comfortable. The room had a sofa, chairs, a coffee table, a huge cable TV, a dining table with chairs, a microwave, a cooker, kitchen sink, several cupbaords well stocked with cutlery and crockery. Also there were 2 large walk in wardrobes and a very nice bathroom with bath and shower. Also we were on the 7th floor with great views across from Nob Hill and toward the financial district. Unfortunately we were opposite the lifts so you could here the bleeps and bongs every so often, but we soon got used to that.

THe location was perfect. Not too far to walk from the financial district and very close to teh cable cars for easy access down to Fisherman's Walk.

Downstairs was laundry if you required. Also parking was available should you need it. An internet station was availble too. Also a breakfast room for guests too.

Staff were very helpful, espececially due to our late arrival and the even later arrival of my bag. They were always on hand to help with deciding what to see or where to eat.

The next time I am in San Francisco I will definitely be staying here again!

Directions: Nob Hill district

• LolaSanFrancisco's Profile Photo

Grosvenor Suites San Franjcisco: On top of the Nob

I?m very honored you asked! By looking at your VT page and the fact that you know I?m a maniac then this is what I suggest for you. It?s not so much the price but the location in San Francisco. Downtown is: Chinatown, Union Square, Financial District however the hotels are having pricing wars so you can get great deals in this area. The places in town that are hip local and the ?City? are: The Haight, Noe Valley, Maria (however I?m not that hot it, it?s a bit yuppie), The Castro if you gay. Nob Hill for the stunning prettiness of it.

Fisherman?s Warf is NOT San Francisco. We never ever go down there. It?s weird, and it?s 100% tourists and not fun. I mean you HAVE to go to Alcatraz (book at least one month in advance) but that?s it.

Here are my recommended hotels on a tight budget: (This is my new travel web site by the way)

Downtown: Hotel Astoria, cute old-time hotel looks arruond $50 a night, but check the price and hotel:

Nob Hill: Grosvonor Hotel, About $96 a night.

Unique Quality: Rooms: 150

Floors: 19

Ratings: Star Rating 3

Hotel Description:
    Ideally situated atop San Francisco's prestigious Nob Hill, the Grosvenor Suites affords spectacular views of the city and its beautiful Bay. Just one block away, Union Square, shopping and Chinatown delicacies await. Or walk one block to catch a cable car that takes you directly to Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39. Want to explore the Financial District and Theater District? They're also located within easy walking distance.

General Information:

Cable TV
    Laundry/Valet
    Wake-up Service

Property Location:

Directions: Areas Served: San Francisco Int'l Airport SFO 15 mi, Union Square Financial Area Located Nearby., Cable Cars Situated 1 Block Away., China Town Nearby, Fishermans Wharf 1 mi, Theatre District Nearby

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

An Unusual but Personal Place

I stayed at this lovely little hotel on Nob Hill. The upper floors overlook the skyline and is within walking distance of Union Square and China Town. For some reason I was upgraded to a suite and it was devine. It was a very unusual place – more like serviced apartments I guess.

To ring my neighbour in the next room, I had to ring out like an outside number which took me directly back to their room. No going through a switchboard. The guys that manned reception where older and very much the big brother sort (in the nicest possible way). Being a female on my own, they made sure I was given any warnings - like walking down to Union Square at night - which I promptly ignored and did it anyway, but with care. The first thing I did was buy a sweatshirt - it was colder when I arrived than I expected.

Unique Quality: The rooms are full renovated and have fully equipped kitchens (in a cupboard-like arrangement) including full size refrigerators, stove/oven combination, microwave, coffee maker, toaster, cooking utensils and complete table service for four. I didn't need all that but it was great for a longer stay.

Directions: Walking distance to Union Square and Chinatown. I even walked back up one of those famous hills from Fishermans Wharf to the hotel - (not really encouraged).

More about Grosvenor Suites

Loved Grosvenor Suites

by TripAdvisor Member ohioted

I have always wanted to go to San Francisco so my partner and I along with our very good friends traveled to San Fran. and have just returned from spending 8 nights at the Grosvenor Suites. EXCELLENT location and our room was GREAT!! We had a corner suite (which we did not book) but ended up in a corner suite no addtional charge. From the moment we checked in to the day we checked out we had a great time and the hotel staff was EXCELLENT!! We even called down and asked about resturants and their recommendations were great!! We LOVED staying on Nob Hill, be prepared to walk up the hill though as sometimes the Trolley Cars get packed and if you don't want to wait then you will have a uphill walk from downtown. We both HIGHLY recommend Grosvenor Suites and will stay there again!!

wonderful stay at Grosvenor suites

by TripAdvisor Member Bonzer

5 nights in San Francisco April 23-27 2004. Stayed at the Grosvenor Suites. Room on the 4th floor northside facing Pine. That was fortunate because the city was having a record hit wave and our room stayed nice and cool. There is little street noise on that side, it is a residential area surrounded by 2 major hotels. Area is close to public transportation, BART (goes to the airport), cable cars and buses. In a great neighborhood. There is a full size grocery store a short cable car ride away on Cailifornia Street. We had 2 beds in the room a couch, a dining area with table and chairs. The small kitchen was spotless with all dishes and appliances needed. There was a light breakfast offered, the bagels were very good. The staff were genuinely friendly and helpful. I reserved a room at this hotel specfically due to this website and I am truly grateful to those that submitted their comments. Very enthused about the hotel and will return.

Ideal suite in the heart of The City

by TripAdvisor Member crimson999

The Grosvenor Suites offer apartment style living in an ideal location on Nob Hill. We were upgraded to a corner suite and the value was incredible. A large suite such as this would cost at least double or triple the amount with a chain.

Location-wise this place is hard to beat with the cable cars onthe corner of the same block.

Suggest visitors treat this hotel as an apartment complex as it is more this than hotel style. Having said that all staff were very friendly. Full kitchen (tucked away in cupboard style) means apartment living is very easy (grocery stores within a block)

Location, value and suite size make the Grosvenor suites exceptional value in SF

Great Apartment Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member rjg4321

Just returned from a short West coast holiday and without any doubt the Grosvenor Suites was the best place we stayed at. Ideal location very close to cable cars and bus and very helpful front desk staff. Small grocery store 2 blocks away for basics to make use of the kitchenette facility in the room. We also had a view downtown from the 7th floor. Would stay there again any time we are visiting the city.

Is 7th street safe?

by oz_traveller

Hi All,

I booked the Best Western Flamingo in 7th st (near the corner of 7th & Mission). Is this a safe spot? I can still cancel.

Also, has anyone stayed at this hotel. Is it OK?

Thanks

Re: Is 7th street safe?

by karenincalifornia

7th and Mission is south of market, not north of market. This is starting to get into a seedy area. If safety is a concern, I would look at other options.

On my San Francisco page, I highly recommend Hotel Juliana. If you go through Travelocity, you can get a pretty good deal, possibly under $100.

Karen

Re: Is 7th street safe?

by jacquihills

I wouldn't recommend it. If you want to be in the downtown area near Union Square then stay near the Nob Hill Area. One of my favorite places is the Grosvenor Suites. You can find them on Expedia.

Comments