HOTEL CLOSED Heritage Marina Hotel

2550 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, California, 94109, United States

• Horrible Hotel!!!

Horrible!

Upon arrival at our room we were greeted with an absolutely horrible smell that immediately began to burn our throats. I walked over to open the window, which faced the very busy Van Ness Avenue, to let in some fresh air…hoping that would help. Ten seconds after opening the window the entire thing, FRAME AND ALL, came smashing into our room! I called the front desk repeatedly for 10 minutes straight and got no answer. I decided to check out of the hotel and find some other accommodations. I gave my key to the employee, Robert, at the front desk and he assured me that I would receive a refund. A week later and I am no closer to getting my money back. The hotel is insisting that I stayed both nights...really?! Like I would stay in a room with no freaking window!

I would absolutely advise against staying at this hotel! The price may look good and the pictures may seem okay, but the hotel is disgusting!

• Be prepared to Climb

I was very wary about staying in this hotel. The reviews I read after my mother had already booked the room scared me to death. We arrived early at 11:30 am or so and went and checked in. I expressed my concerns about staying in the Hotel and he gave me a room on the fifth floor. He told me I could park there for the day until my room was ready and when I came back to check in it was easy. The trouble with this hotel is the maze of elevators and stairs that are inconvenient and hard to navigate. My room was clean and nice and I had a great view of the GG Bridge. I was very frustrated with the inconvenient parking but was thankful it was there. The pool did look funky and the breakfast room closed at 9am and after the lengthy attempt to find it I got there at 9:05 and it was shut and I was hungry!
    The location of this hotel is where it's at and the transportation access is amazing. For a cheap room it was worth it. As far as the bedbugs go I waited mote than a month to write this review and we didn't get any. I also know that bedbugs are a problem in all major citiies right now and have nothing to do with the cleanliness of an establishment. There is a lot of international travels in SF and it is not unusual to pick up some friends in any hotel, store, or theatre. Overall, I would recommend to someone who is looking for a clean bed and shower to sleep in for cheap in a great location!

Unique Quality: Location

• Be prepared to Climb

Unique Quality: Location

• Honestly the WORST hotel I 've ever stayed in!

Do not, under any circumstances stay at this hotel! From the street it looks quite respectable, but it's all downhill from there... first of all, they advertise FREE PARKING, but there is only parking for about half as many rooms as they have. Next, the place is is VERY bad need of repair ( or maybe demolition). While I was checking in , THREE separate people came to the front desk to complain that they had no lights or electricity in their rooms. If I had not already paid in full over the internet, I would have ducked out at that point, but it was too late to get a refund. The first room they gave me was a mess. The room smelled moldy, the carpet was filthy, 2 out of 3 of the lights were not working, and the ceiling and walls in the bathroom were moldy and had peeling plaster in the tub and sink as well as on the floor. A dirty washcloth was crumpled in the corner of the sink. I went down and complained and they said they had no more rooms with 2 beds... but a manager came up and said to give me the "Presidio Suite" on the 3rd floor. The indoor corridor on the 3rd floor reeked of urine, but I forged on to the "suite". There was a bed and a fold-out sofa-- all kind of worn and outdated, strong smoke smell, and even though there was a microwave and fridge, there was NO ELECTRICITY! Back down to the desk where they miraculously now HAD a 2 bed non-smoking room... although it was still pretty awful, it was cleaner than the first 2... the minuses of this room were that the door lock was broken, and the sliding windows were cracked , no screens, and not lockable! By this time it was after 10 PM and I had two 23 year old military guys with me, so I figured I would be safe enough, and we were too tired to find another place.
    I know this sounds like I am being overly picky or exaggerating, but this is all totally true... I am accustomed to staying at hostels all over the world, and tourist class hotels and guesthouses in Asia and the Caribbean , so my standards are really not very high... and for almost $100 a night this was ROBBERY!

Unique Quality: the only good things were: it is centrally located, and it has free wifi in the rooms.

More about Heritage Marina Hotel

Hated it

Although our room was prepaid, there was no room available when we arrived at about 11 PM. The hotel had booked our room twice! We therefore were sent to another hotel which was eeven shoddier than the Marina Heritage!

Pro-Hotel Location / Con-Room Quality

Good thing first, location is the best thing of this hotel where most of the money paid goes; walk able access to some of the important places in SFO.
For the other side, the quality of the room was below to my satisfaction - insufficient lighting, undone wiring and unclean quilt; overall room looked 'old' and seems maintained occasionally.

A fine hotel

Recently we made a trip through the state of California. At forehand I made reservations for all the hotels we wanted to stay in. After having made the reservation for this hotel, I read the comments on this site. My expectation were very low. But we had a very good experience. The room was newly decorated, there was lots of parking space. The breakfastbuffet was soso, but that's not unusual in the States. Our television was out of order, and the curtains didnot close, but after given notice of those "complaints" they were taken care of. We definitely want to go back to San Francisco, and we donot have any reason to stay in another hotel then.

Good Value for the price

After booking the hotel we read some of the reviews, so we were a little aprehensive of staying, but decided to give it a try. Our room was large, beautifully decorated and clean - maybe just our good luck - I don't know. The continental breakfast was good and plentiful. Parking was no problem. It was within walking distance to the bay and fisherman's wharf.
Some staff were friendly, some were not. I would stay there again and would recommend to others especially if you are just in San Fransico to see the sights. Good value for SF for what we paid.

Good location for price

by TripAdvisor Member Veganvix

I was travelling by myself and on a budget so the hotel fit what I needed. It was close (walking distance) to Fisherman's Wharf. I felt safe in the area. The room was spacious. The drain in the shower was clogged and repeated requests finally brought a handyman to my room - however he did not speak English and the drain was never fixed. They never changed the sheets although they did change the garbage. The air conditioner did not work. Because of the open walkways there is a lot of outside noise. The breakfast is free - and good if you just want a quick something to eat. If you're not going for luxury the hotel serves it purpose - a place to crash after a long day of sight-seeing. (Warning: I did hear the front desk telling someone over the phone they do not have a room for them although they had reserved one)

Do not go there PLEASE!

It is my 3rd trip to the United States and it is the worst motel than I ever had. If you do not want ratter your stay in SF not to go there not! The hotel is dirty (waste gone down by the elevator and this last step to wash), of the inscriptions on the walls, the heating which does not function, the windows which date and which lets pass the air. Do not go there PLEASE!

Heritage Marina

by loej33

We have made a reservation to stay at the Heritage Marina on Van Ness in San Francisco. Has anyone ever stayed there?

by lostsooner55

I do think you want to look at the reviews this hotel is getting online. Gary

by Carmanah

Strangely, I stayed there last week,

What do you want to know?

by loej33

Any information would be helpful.

by loej33

Gary, how do I check the hotels reviews online? I'm new at this.

by yvr

You can check hotel reviews by past guests at www.tripadvisor.com or for an easier way, do a search with "reviews Heritage Marina Hotel San Francisco" and then click on the trip advisor or yahoo links and it will take you right to the reviews.

by lostsooner55

yvr is correct. The hotel is also reviewed on several other sites. We don't have a review on VT yet, that I could find. There are some pretty severe reviews of this hotel online. There are also several good ones. There are actually quite a few lodging options in that general area. A good general link for restaurants can be found at: http://sanfrancisco.menupages.com. The site has quite a few menus, and lists restaurants by cuisine, and by neighborhood. If you will give a general budget for lodging, and, generally, what you wish to see in The City, you'll get more specific options for lodging. Gary

by loej33

I don't think I want to stay at the Heritage Marina. Thanks for your input. Can anyone recommend a motel in that area? I would prefer to stay uner $150.oo per night. As for our interests, we are open to pretty much all the tourist things or sitting at the pool, as it will be the end of our vacation.

by Carmanah

It's a strange hotel. Very, very old and worn, but I found it clean and safe... it's just *very* basic. Just very old, with paper thin walls and single pane windows. It has a stigma in San Francisco - most people there are horrified when they discovered I stayed there. And I only stayed there because it was previously arranged for me by people who aren't from there, who obviously didn't read the views.

The one good thing is the location, which is a short walk to the shops on Union Street. 3 blocks up the hill is the zig zag section of Lombard Street and the cable cars zooming down Hyde. And from there it's less than 10 minutes to Fisherman's Wharf, or a 15 minute ride to Union Square (shops, museums, tourist info center).

by Carmanah

That should have said "reviews", not views. But speaking of views, they do have an unobstructed view of the Golden Gate Bridge. *That* I wasn't expecting!

If you're seeking a better hotel in the same neighbourhood, I can highly recommend the Comfort Inn by the Bay. It's one block over on Van Ness and Union. Clean, new, and great staff!

by lostsooner55

Robyn, Did you have one of your groups with you for your stay, or was this a preliminary trip to check out the area ? Gary

by Carmanah

It was just to check out the area.

Comments