Harbor Court Hotel - A Kimpton Hotel

Harbor Court Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Costs 36% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Great Bay View

Spent a weekend for our anniversary-
    loved the hotel,the rooms are nicely decorated,
    rooms are small but not that small-
    the Bay view rooms are worth staying here for- we were on the 4th floor and all we could see from the bed was water and the bridge all lit up at night- the wine hour was fun- meet some nice folks and played Wii. Easy to walk 2 blocks and catch a muni bus anywhere in the city- that is also a lot of fun .
    The staff was very nice and friendly. It is also a dog
    friendly hotel, which to me is priceless, even tho I didn't bring my dog.
    I will definitely go there again!

Unique Quality: Bay Views are wonderful

Directions: Embarcadero area, close to the baseball park

• DJStarr's Profile Photo

Great deals on Internet - superb location

New to SF? Check out staying over by the Bay Bridge at the Harbor Court or the Griffon on the Embarcadero. Both have good rates and are located right by the water, great restaurants, the street cars, cable cars and Ferry building. Much more fun than the schocky Pier 39/Fisherman's wharf zoo.

Unique Quality: A pet is fine. They even provide a goodie basket.
    Great view of the waterfront. Free wireless Internet

Directions: Embarcadero by the Ferry building/Bay Bridge a block or so from Market street

• SMALL!

The room was very small and the bed took up most of it. We had the same problem with the staff commenting about how much we paid for the room through Priceline. Although I have stayed at better boutique hotels in SF, this one was not horrible. The room had a LCD screen TV mounted to the was and the decor was unique.

• goshawk301's Profile Photo

Priceless view

Book a bayview room at the Harbor Court and you are in for a treat! Across the Embarcadero, you get to see the changing lights and maritime traffic of the San Francisco Bay, accented by the crossing of the Bay Bridge. My room was decorated in tasteful tones of gray; it was small (this hotel is part of a renovated old YMCA) but was adequate for myself. Still, if you are traveling with family or otherwise need space, you should be aware of this. Also, the hotel is some distance away from Union Square and, depending on the purpose of your trip, may not be most conveniently located.

Unique Quality: View! And its location away from the Union Square crowd.

• catchpm's Profile Photo

SMALL!! Best suited to couples

I can't say it wasn't a nice hotel, because it was. However unless you are a couple, the room will pose a problem in that it only has one double bed!

We asked if we could have 2 beds at check-in and were told that all bar a few have just 1 bed. They said it was a king sized bed, but I'd beg to differ and wouldn't even call it a queen size. In their defence, they were quick to provide us with extra bedding so that one of us could sleep on the floor.

Aside from that, you couldn't swing a cat in the bedroom. I felt very closed in when in there and couldn't wait to get out. Room itself was clean, plush and well equipped though. Cable TV with internet (at a reasonable $9.95 for 12 hours) was good.

My only gripe would be over the check in staff commenting on how little I'd paid for the room via priceline. That isn't their place to discuss. If the hotel accepted my offer, I should be treated like any other guest, not singled out. Rack rates were high when I checked

I would have to say that I don't recommend this one unless you are looking for a cosy (very!) lovers retreat for the weekend or something.

Directions: Location was ok - you weren't really close to anything, but not too far either. It was in the financial district and about a 20 minute walk from Union Square and 30 to Fishermans Wharf. The only area you were close to was Mission for nightlife.

More about Harbor Court Hotel - A Kimpton Hotel

Great hotel near Embarcadero

by TripAdvisor Member fara821

We just returned from a weekend in San Francisco and stayed at the dog-friendly Harbor Court Hotel. It is about a block away from the Ferry Building and less than a block away from the more expensive Hotel Vitale. The staff were very friendly; guests and hotel staff were so warm with our dog. He loved the attention! The room is small but comfortable. The view was ugly; but we kept the curtains shut. The cool LCD TV was a bit far from the bed. The bathroom was tiny, with only 1 sink and hardly any counterspace but the location and staff made this hotel a great choice. We would definitely visit and recommend this hotel again!

Great find for biz travellers

San Francisco has a bunch of boutique hotels, but the one I like best for business travel is the Harbor Court Hotel on the Embarcadero. Received a warm welcome upon check-in. The room was small, but tidy and elegant, with an LCD TV on the wall, a yoga package, and windows that open. If you're going to stay in the City, might as well have some fresh air. Although I didn't have a Bayview room, the hotel itself looks out on the Bay Bridge, so you can see the gorgeous scenery out front.

It's also next door (has its own private entrance) to the state-of-the-art YMCA with huge pool, oodles of machines, and a view to kill for. If you need to get outside, the Embarcadero is right there, you can run and walk to your heart's content. The hotel is surrounded by good food, including the Japanese restaurant, Ozumo. My colleagues had a blast there, they had never tasted food quite like the flavorful dishes we had.

There is also a nightly wine and beer reception in the lobby, and on Tuesdays, a sake tasting reception. We found it a great way to meet other travellers and do some networking. Also, the hotel is wireless, so we were able to meet each day in the wonderful arty lobby, where we could hook up to our heart's content.

Plus, BART and Muni are right there, we didn't have to rent a car. Perfect location. They also had a towncar on hand for anyone needing that form of transportation. Needless to say, I had a most productive stay, able to accomplish so much with our meeting, that it was a joy. The staff went the extra mile to ensure we had a good business meeting, including giving us a powerstrip and speaker phone, when we had an emergency conference call. Superb.

The hotel also accepts dogs, as I was greeted by a jolly bulldog upon arriving. Alas, the dog was not the hotel mascot, but belonged to a guest. It would be smashing to have a doggy mascot, who I could look forward to seeing each time I arrive. This hotel will be a second home for me, and I think it might wind up being something special for others, also.

Great Hotel for the $

My fiance and I decided on a last minute Labor Day trip to San Francisco and used priceline to get a good deal on hotels. For $75 a night we got this hotel and I was skeptical (first time using priceline). It was a really nice Europen style hotel that was clean and staff very friendly. We upgraded for $25/night to a bay view room and this is totally worth it. We woke up to a beautiful sunrise over the SF bay bridge. Yes the rooms are small but we spent limited time there. The hotel also had complimentary beer/wine 5-6pm and coffee/tea till noon. They also had homemade cookies and milk in the evenings. The location is excellent if you do not have a car. We were 2 blocks from BART to get back and forth to airport ($5/person), 2 blocks from F-train to the Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf and 2 blocks to the cable cars to China Town so we could take public transportation everywhere and cab at night when we were tired. The cab fare there is pretty expensive and all car travel is slow at peak times. Overall, I was very pleased with this hotel for the price.

Great location but not much else to rave about

by TripAdvisor Member eurotrash

Bay view rooms have fabulous views and the location right on the embarcadero is wonderful. Rooms are very small which is fine for a city hotel but I can imagine no view in such a small room would make for a dreary stay.
No room service at all except for the local japanese restaurant...that was weird. Service was ok but a bit on the cold side. Carpets and walls need some TLC which makes things look tired and dirty. All in all a mediocre stay.

great hotel

Stayed for 5 nights in August, got a great deal through Priceline. THe room was tiny, but that didn't bother me given the wonderful location and the cost during peak travel time (i think it was $95/night).
The wine/beer hour was great - nice wines and beers, a real effort in picking good ones. Starbucks coffee in the morning. Nice decor and very clean. Highly recommended. I'll definitely stay there next time in SF.

Fishermans Wharf or Union Square??

by nelly03

My sister and I are going up to San Francisco next Saturday just for a day and night. We are trying to decide whether to book a hotel in Union Square or Fishermans Wharf...as far as restaurants and nightlife is concerned, is Union Square a lot better? Regardless, we'll go to both, but wanted to know where to base ourselves....also, any good sushi restaurants you can recommend?? :) Thanks SO much!

by Jeannette1

I prefer Union Square rather than Fisherman's Wharf.
Jeannette

by jessicadf

I have to agree. Fisherman's Wharf is as touristy as toursisty can be. You'll find few restaurants or shops that you couldn't find at any other tourist destination in the world. Aside from crab vendors and San Francisco souvenirs.

Union Square has more places that locals would go to and is central.

Sushi bars.... so may good places... A tiny, little known but delicious one is on Van Ness and is called Wayo. A great place with cool atmosphere is Blowfish Sushi to Die For. I'm sure there are plenty of others, but those are a couple I know and enjoy.

by VdV

I agree with the first two replies--Union Square. Fisherman's Wharf is touristy family zone.

by UKDaisy

Me too - Union Square gets my vote.

by YVRDave

I fifth Jeannette. I can't help on Sushi

by VdV

It's a bit pricey and the bar area is a real scene, but I like Ozumo, located next to the Harbor Court Hotel, 161 Steuart St. (415) 882-1333. They have really great sake samplers; the food is good, too.

Some friends of mine like Ebisu; have heard good things about Blowfish.

by fireflies77

The best sushi in the city is a small place in the union square area - Ryoko's. It's on Taylor between Sutter and Post. It's small, but the fish is fresh and the chefs are wonderful! Enjoy!

by Waveform

If you stay in Union Square, Sanraku at Sutter and Taylor is right by Union Square (there's also one in the Metreon, 4th and Mission).

by UKDaisy

Don't go to the Floating Sushi Boat Restaurant in Chinatown - unattentive service and the place looks dirty.

by VdV

I like the Sanraku suggestion. Used to go to the one at the Metreon and sit at the counter facing Yerba Buena gardens/park while enjoying my lunch. One time there was a wonderful tango show in the park and I felt as if I had one of the best seats in the house for it!

Comments