Holiday Inn Civic Center

50 8th St., San Francisco, California, 94103, United States

Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco)
Expedia.com Booking.com IHG

Satisfaction Average

Costs 43% more and rated 13% lower than other 3 star hotels

• MJL's Profile Photo

Not a best place to be

This was my worst hotel experiment during my trips. I knew a location is theoretically good (near transportation, City Hall etc.), but a whole neighbourhood is not very nice. A hotel itself is a little bit old and it shows or I should say hears. Maybe reson for noisiness was room was a top floor, but both elevators and bathroom ventilation were very loud. There is a separate air-conditioning machine, but it is so noisy you could not use it whole time.

Directions: Near Civic Centre Bart and Muni station.

• c-bella's Profile Photo

Good, basic accomodation

Quite a good location, about a 5 min walk from some really good shops.
    Hotel, clean, safe but very basic, there is a pool but it was chucking it down when we went.
    Nice view from the hotel room, had a little balcony so we could go out and take some pics.

Unique Quality: Good views from room.
    Friendly staff, very helpful.

• SF_Grrl's Profile Photo

BEST HI DEAL IN SF

This is the first place I stayed at when I moved to SF in Oct 2002.

I will always have fond memories of this hotel because I adore living in San Francisco and this was my first home base.

The HI Civic Center is a great deal because it's in a kind of dodgy neighborhood. If you can put up with panhandlers which is possible and don't go for a midnight stroll you can save a bundle at this HI. Especially if your a priority club member and get on of their internet specials. Prices do go up when there's some big deal going on in the city of course.

Unique Quality: clean with your decent basic HI restraurant, cocktail lounge, nice staff and good spacious modern rooms

Directions: Civic Center

• spartan's Profile Photo

In the middle of everything

Not sure. It's been many years since I stayed there, so look for specials. Well it's not only located in the business district of San Francisco, but it's basically right across the street from Chinatown. Full service hotel with 565 guestrooms, six suites, and 2 Executive floors. Business conveniences include in-room irons/boards, coffeemakers, hairdryers, dataports, voicemail, on-demand movies and express check-out.

Unique Quality: Hotel services include Benton's Cafe which serves breakfast, lunch and dinner featuring continental cuisine and some Asian specialities. The Gold Coin lounge located in the lobby offers nightly complimentary hors d'oeuvres in addition to light snack menu. Room service is available between 6:30 a.m.- 2 p.m and 5:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. daily. A gift shop and jewelry shop are located in lobby.

Directions: Located in the financial district across from Chinatown

More about Holiday Inn Civic Center

good priced hotel - location dodgy

we chose this hotel in San Fransisco as it was a reasonable price. The rooms were clean and well furnished, the facilities were good and the staff were o.k. We had a shock on our first day, as we went to look for somewhere to have dinner and couldn't find any nearby restaurants all we found were hundreds of homeless people begging and sleeping in the street, as we were travelling with our three year old child, we were very concerned. Later though we found our way on the bart/muni system to the tourist area of San Fran. So you have to travel by train to and from the hotel (but not too much of a problem) By the end of the holiday (ashamedly) we got used to stepping over the homeless people and we never found them threatening.
Beware of ordering room service - the prices on the menu are misleading, our daughter wanted breakfast and as mentioned before hotel a way from eateries etc.
We paid around £20.00 for childs breafast cereal and a cup of tea and a cofee!

never again

Okay, so it isn't a flophouse. There were no bugs, no smells, no scary stains. But I'll eat glass before I stay at another Holiday Inn. There's the location of the hotel, which isn't as dodgy as most of San Francisco's hotels, which are often next door to flophouses even if they're charging top dollar, but is still pretty marginal. But the real problem was that my room was connected to the adjacent room by a thin door that provided no barrier to noise. The people next door were holding a major frat party all night long. And the hotel staff did not shut them down. The wall was so thin that the partiers, despite the din they were creating, could clearly hear my phone call to the front desk, and then they could clear hear the security person in the hallway who had come to check on them. They quieted down just until they heard the security person go, and then they resumed their party instantly and at full volume for the rest of the night. When I called the desk again, the hotel staff told me that they had heard no party and that was that. So I didn't sleep that night, even with earplugs.

Great value, good location

This hotel is a great value and a good location. Compared to the other hotels in the same part of town, for the money, you can't do better than this one. If you use discount sites to find a hotel, you can find a good deal for this one. You can get it for a good deal off the advertised price.
The garage cost is also very reasonable for the area.

I recommend this place on price alone. It is listed in many sites as a 4-star hotel, but it does not compare favorably to hotels of that class. It is old and outdated. The carpets look old and worn. There is no internet. There is a business center, but the cost is $0.50 per minute (that's an outrageous $30.00 per hour!).

If you're familiar with San Francisco, this hotel is a block off Market, but not quite in the Shopping district. It is conveniently one block from Muni/BART. However, if you want to walk to the shopping areas or Street car on lower Market, you'll pass through a few run down city blocks. If you travel north to Upper Market shops near the Castro area, you'll walk by the lower Tenderloin area, which is also a little rough.

Good price, friendly staff, neighbourhood not that bad

I stayed here from Mar 22-27, 2005. For the price, I was impressed. The staff at the desk and the restaurant were very friendly and housekeeping was great. There is a laundry room in the hotel which is great if you are away for any extended period. I think the hotel is getting a bad wrap in terms of the neighbourhood. Yeah, there's some homeless people outside but I've encountered much worse in other major US cities. No one bothered me. The hotel is central and reasonbly close to everything. We walked everywhere, including the piers & Fisherman's Wharf. If you want to save yourself a few bucks, I highly recommend this hotel!

Good value for money, location so-so

by TripAdvisor Member TomRatingen

I booked this hotel via a discount book. The good thing was that I was able to advance book a room with a special rate of $85. This also included $23 for parking, which is definatly a great deal!! Anyone who stayed in SF knows, that parking can be quite an additional pain for the $$$! - The rooms were clean and really ok. The housekeeping staff was great. The staff at the hotel restaurant were so-so, did not earned much tip. The only downside about the Holiday Inn Civic is the location. 8th street is not really a good wannabe side when it turns dark, even walking from the hotel at 10:00 AM to Powell (cable car) was kind of scary. - Keeping this in mind, this hotel is definatly worth a stay in SF.

good price that includes parking

by TripAdvisor Member Lee01

Great price. We paid 99.00 and that included parking. the located is not the greatest area of San Francisco and the lobby seemed to be filled with drag queens (not that there is anything wrong with that). I was surprised at how clean the room was and hallways of the hotel. If you are looking for a cheap hotel that includes parking, this would be the place to stay.

Comments