Hotel 480 San Francisco

480 Sutter Street, (formerly "Crowne Plaza"), San Francisco, California, 94108, United States

San Francisco Marriott Union Square
Travelocity Marriott.com Expedia.com

Costs 49% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• SAN FRANCISCO HOTEL

Well, it's just accidental that we ended up staying with this fine hotel.

We missed our flight going to Denver because of too tight connecting flight schedules and long line to immigration.

My friend and I were new comers so we don't really know where to go. I called my friend in Hayward but unfortunately they were not in their home.

We found lists of hotels at the basement of the airport and called some Hotels, and that was it! We were found ourselves in that Hotel.

Unique Quality: Since it is newly built, you will be sure that everything is new. And the room was very cozy and clean. But the price is reasonable. It's a good deal staying to this hotel.

We got a discount because United Airlines gave a recommendation from the Hotel.

Directions: It is conveniently situated two miles south of San Francisco International Airport, just off Highway 101 and adjacent to Bayside Park on San Francisco Bay.

More about Hotel 480 San Francisco

A classy hotel for a decent price.

My partner and I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Union Square while attending a professional conference at the Moscone Center, and we found it to be quite delightful, especially for the low price we paid. The room was clean with clean, tasteful decor. The beds were quite comfy, with plenty of pillows and quality linens. The staff was very friendly and attentive. We loved their little sleep kit, which included lavendar spray, ear plugs, an eye mask, and a relaxation CD. The bath amenities are also quite nice.

We did have just a couple of complaints: 1. We were stuck right next to the elevators, so we could hear them all night. 2. We reserved a king sized bed, and ended up with two double beds. 3. The drinks at the bar were outrageously priced ($10 a piece for very basic mixed drinks).

If you do stay here, be sure not to use the valet or hotel parking. It's outrageously priced at $38 +tax per day. We made the mistake of using it the first night and promptly moved our car to the city garage around the corner the next day. It's still pricey if you aren't accustomed to SF prices, but it was far cheaper ($70 for three days).

The little cafe/deli downstairs is a nice place to grab a quick breakfast or lunch. We didn't try out the restaurant, but we did order some salads via room service and found them perfectly delightful.

The location of the hotel is good--it's close to lots of shopping, the theater district, and not far from downtown, chinatown, northbeach, etc. If you can get a good deal, it's well worth it.

Simply Fascinating

We stayed here last year for two days and our experience was just wonderful. The staff is very friendly and helpful, and the proximity to China Town is very very convenient. Would love to go back if given the opportunity.

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member sinznstyle

The location of this hotel is excellent and if you're high up enough and towards the back of the hotel the views are excellent as well. However on the lower floors (3-11 or so) the rooms are very small and cramped. We had to switch rooms after the first night because it seemed as if the room were for one person instead of two. We were moved to the 26th floor - designated as the quiet zone. This was nice because the hotel guarantees no loud noises, tv's, radios, children, etc. The room was also slightly larger. We had a great view of the bay and Coit Tower. The trolley line runs right along Powell street which is right outside the door. The turnaround for that trolley line is only a 5-7 minute walk down Powell St about 4 blocks...however the wait in line will be about 20-30 minutes. Parking rates here are ridiculous. The parking is $38/day and that does not include the 14% hotel tax. No thanks. We moved our car up the street to 450 Sutter, where the parking was $24/day or $30/day for all day in-out priviledges and that includes tax. There's also another parking garage a little further down the block (Stockton-Stutter garage) with even cheaper rates I believe. With the in and out priviledges we chose at the 450 Sutter garage, they parked our car very close so we were always within our vehicle within 5 minutes of requesting it - even with long lines. The concierge was not friendly or helpful when we asked for help with directions and routes to different attractions. We also got free complimentary drink coupons upon check-in. Housekeeping did a great job and usually had our room spotless by noon each day. Although the rooms aren't the best I've seen (I've seen Holiday Inn Express hotels that outrank this place) I'd definitely stay again just because of the location. The location made the 9 day stay at this hotel worth the money!

Great Stay

Arrived Sunday for a 3-night stay. Rooms were a little small-ish but very comfortable. CP's relaxation/sleep program is very conducive to a good night's rest. Very convenient to Powell St. Transit Station, and cable car line stops next to the hotel. Restaurant is on the pricey side, but there are plenty of less-expensive options within walking distance. Will stay here again on future trips.

Please Read First!

We booked on Priceline. We got a $150+ room for $85! Be leary booking through the hotel website, because we were amazed at the deal we got. We were so impressed with the hotel, we would stay there again in a heartbeat, even though we usually stay at Starwood hotels.

+Front desk- Very accomodating and patient, we were given a corner king size non-smoking room, no problem, even though they were oversold that night.

+Cleanliness- Although not overly ornate, the lobby was clean, bright and welcoming.

+Room- Not large by any means, but very nicely decorated. The bathroom was spotless and the amenities were unique. The small touches made a huge difference to us. Since the hotel was on a busy street (the trolley runs right pass), there were earplugs, eye masks and lavender linen spray by our bedside. Make sure you request a room on a high level---A must to limit the noise and increase your view.

-Housekeeping- That was the only bad part. They were cleaning rooms, making lots of noise fairly early in the morning to a sleepy traveller. They kept on banging the doors, talking...at first I thought it was guests, but I was wrong.

I hope you listen to my recommendation and have as great as an experience as we did. Make sure you do not overpay, or else you will be disappointed.

comfy, but small

we stayed at the crown plaza in San Francisico for 4 nights.
My husband and I could believe how perfect the location was. The hotel has really comfy beds but It is a little small. Would stay there again.

San Francisco

by gbpeva1

"Second visit"

This was our second visit to San Francisco. The first visit being in 2005 for our honey moon - got married in Las Vegas. We decided to start off in SF and travel the coast down to Los Angeles this time around, with a detour to the wine country.

We split our stay between our favourite hotel - the Mark Hopkins, Nob Hill and one night on our return in the Crowne Plaza Union Square.

The Mark Hopkins is a fantastic hotel, perched on one of its many hills and has the most fantastic views from its top floor martini bar and restaurant - Top of the Mark.

Favorite American City

by RickinDutch

"Great Views, People, Food, Nightlife and Hotels."

Not sure what it is I enjoy most about San Francisco but I always feel comfortable here. Surrounded by water and filled with hills, it seems that everywhere you look is a great view. Golden Gate Bridge, Bay Bridge, Coit Tower, Alcatraz and Treasure Island. Wonderful Victorian architecture combined with gleaming new constructions. Ethnic neighborhoods like Chinatown and Little Italy (does Height-Ashbury count?). More wonderful restaurants than you will ever find time to visit.

I came here several times during the 70's and vaguely recall enjoying myself. But this most recent trip (April '07) was a real high water mark for me. Went for a national convention so had no free time during the day and many evenings were taken up with functions, but the times I was able to break away touched me deeply. Weather was beautiful most of the time, in the 70's with hardly a cloud and it didn't rain until we were heading to the airport.

"Rice a Roni - The San Francisco Treat!"

Couldn't help hearing that jingle everytime a cable car rang it's bell. One of the routes went straight from our hotel (San Francisco Marriott) to Fishermen's Wharf. It is a great way to get a feel for the city, especially if you can get one of the outdoor seats.

Good Location?

by beaches31

Thinking of booking the Hotel 480 on Sutter St. Union Sq. is this a good safe location? Is there a car rental near by?

Re: Good Location?

by YVRDave

Fantastic location. There are lots of car rental offices around. The Hyatt and Westin hotels are across the street and both have rental offices

Re: Good Location?

by nomad7890

I personally have not stayed there but here's a Travel Advisor review of the hotel:

There are several rental car companies around Mason street, around the Westin St. Francis which should be close.

The area is fine, but in SF you always have to be careful, particularly at night when the night people come out. No big problem, I'm a woman alone and have been walking around there without incident - just normal precautions.

Comments