2901 Pacific Avenue, San Francisco, California, 94115, United States
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

More about Hotel Drisco

view of the City

My wife and I flew to San Francisco and wanted a Hotel removed from the hectic pace of the city while still being close to all the great places to see in San Francisco.

We checked into the Hotel Drisco and received a warm greeting from the Staff. We were given a beautiful room overlooking the City of S.F. with a view that was spectacular in the evening when all the lights of the City were lit.

The room was first class and the staff was very efficient and courteous.

We would highly reccommend the Hotel Drisco to anyone wishing to have a relaxed and pleasant stay and a feeling of being wanted.

The excellent buffet breakfast and the wine tasting hour in the late afternoon are just some of the many plusses you receive when you stay at this very elegant small hotel.

My wife and I look forward to staying here on our next trip to San Francisco.

Great find in the Pacific Heights

by TripAdvisor Member TiciaAnn

We were encouraged by friends who live in SF to try the Hotel Drisco and we were not disappointed. My husband and I have been coming to SF for 27 years and we have stayed in many premier properties but this was our first time in the Pacific Heights area. If you want to be near downtown and Union Square, this is not the place for you although the Drisco offers free morning shuttles to downtown. We loved the ambience, the view, the size of the room, the personal attention and the quietness of this charming jewel of a hotel in a beautiful residential setting. The service is friendly and attentive in this small luxury hotel without being presumptuous. We will definitely go back!

Refuge from the city

My wife and I stayed here for a week on our honeymoon. After navigating the complicated streets of downtown San Francisco (ie: Market Street), we arrived at the hotel ready for a break from the day of travel. Check in was simple and the staff was courteous and helpful. Although they don't have room service for meals and there isn't a restaurant around for blocks for a quick meal, the front desk offered menus to places who would deliver within an hour. The restaurant we ordered from wasn't magnificent by any means, but it beat trying to find a restaurant after only 1 hour in the city for the first time.

Honestly, I was ready to leave San Francisco and we had only been there for 1-2 hours!!! Luckily, after winding down in a very quiet room with a city view, windows open with a cool breeze, and an extremely comfortable bed with enough covers to keep you warm through a blizzard, the next morning was a new day!

Maps are essential if you have never been to S.F. We had a rental car and although parking was terrible in the city, at the hotel, parking was a breeze! Only a few steps away from the hotel and never had to pay. (Best parking is on Broderick St. towards Broadway or Jackson). Even if you plan to leave the hotel and use the MUNI system during the day, the hotel staff will move your car for you every 2-hours to avoid a ticket. This was nice! Check out CITYPASS for great deals in San Francisco.

For the best rate after getting on-line quotes, I called the hotel to see if they could do better. Their rate was cheaper than any online site and I didn't have to mention a quoted price. Since we don't drink and there was complimentary champagne for our honeymoon, the staff substituted another drink in its place which was really nice. The buffet breakfast was a blessing each morning from 7AM to 10AM. Ice and cookies are served to the room each day around 5:30PM which my wife and I looked forward to when we got back each day from the city.

Several changes/improvements we would recommend.... 1. Offer heat in the bedroom, even during the summer. It can get cold, even with the windows shut. (They do offer to turn it on for you, but we didn't see the need or trouble for them to do so just to "get warm"). 2. A more consistent staff meaning same faces, same place. What I mean by this is the front desk seemed to have a different person working it every time we passed throughout the week. This in no way hindered service and all were nice, but it's good to be consistent. 3. And lastly, more water pressure in the tub/shower. It was enough to get by, but we like a little more pressure.

Located in a very quiet neighborhood, easy parking, great views, and a charm found only in select places, we recommend Hotel Drisco to others and plan on staying here for future visits.

Family stay at the Drisco

by TripAdvisor Member ABaisley

My wife and I and our two small girls stayed for three nights at the Drisco. We had a large room with sitting area which turned into a family room very easily. The decorations in the room were lovely and we had a pleasant view from the window (although you can only see the tip of golden gate bridge because new buildings obscure the view). The childrens bed was a pull down sofa and seemd a little uncomfortable but they didnt seem to notice. The main bed was excelent. Breakfast was delightful: a host of delicious itmes served buffet style with an eye for healthy eating. The position of the Drisco is ideal for anyone interested in being out of the hustle and bustle of the city, but within easy reach of all attractions. We hired bikes down the hill and cycled over the golden gate which was great. There are some nice restaurants a few blocks walk away and its a short taxi ride or bus ride into downtown or fishermans wharf.
The staff were all very friendly and the early evening free wine and biscuits is a nice touch.
The hotel has the feel of a small friendly country hotel with enough luxury to make you feel special without feeling opulent.
All this however comes at a price. We paid $600 for three nights. If you can afford it its a treat worth having. if your on a budget go elsewhere.

Our Secret Hideaway

by TripAdvisor Member RooneyKing

El Drisco is one of the best kept secrets in San Francisco! My wife and I enjoyed a Pacific Suite. The room is as luxurious as the pictures indicate. Breakfast is a special treat in a confortable dining room. Wine in the parlor before dinner.

We had a brief two days to see San Francisco. The staff was especially helpful. Marti, the Concierge, looked after our car for a day and made numerous arrangements for dinners and a play. Taxi's were promptly arranged when needed.

In the AM, we took a walking tour with a Golden Gate Greeter that was especially helpful in getting to know the area and its transportation.

The facility itself is very charming with sqeaky floors! It was built early 1900's. Located in a very quiet upscale neighborhood at the top of the city!

Can't say enough good things...

by TripAdvisor Member TwoInTahoe

What a treat! We came to San Francisco on our way to Carmel for our honeymoon. We were there for one night.
This place is top notch. It is considered 3.5 stars but we felt like we were at a 5 star hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful, like we were family. They upgraded us to a suite and it was over the top. The bellman was experienced, graceful and very accommodating. The rooms were clean, beautifully decorated with every attention to detail. Any request we had was met promptly and with class. We stayed at a "5 Star" in Carmel Valley and after the El Drisco, we were so spoiled! It didn't hold a candle to El Drisco.
Excellent location away from the chaotic city down the hill. If you like walking, the neighborhood has the most beautiful homes. Caution..lots of steep grade hills so don't attempt if you aren't in decent shape.
We will stay here again.

Its Not For Everyone But This Is Where I Want To Spend My Last Waking Days!!

by TripAdvisor Member dougiefreshpdx

Its off the beaten path. There are no bells and whistles. You have to walk up and down an Everest-ian hill every time you want to eat. Good luck getting a cab (but if you walk a few blocks you can catch a bus downtown...) Despite some quirks this is my favorite hotel in the United States. Its all about location, baby, and you cant do much better than this. All around you are $10 million houses and there's no better place to play pretend-you-are-a-rich San Franciscan than here. If you get the right room (always book a suite) the views are heavenly and the room sizes are very acceptable. I love nothing more than coming here with my wife on a cold, rainy weekend and spending the majority of our time in the room. The staff have all been here forever and while understated they are helpful and extremely competent. They serve a nice breakfast in their basement with fresh juice and decent pastries. If you want something garish, stay at the Mandarin. If you want the quinessential San Francisco experience, stay at the Drisco.

Wow!

by TripAdvisor Member MFabulous

Stayed here with my wife and kids for 4 days before going down the southern coast. The hotel and location was magnificent and hands down the best in SF. However, it is not for everyone, especially those not fond of walking up and down hills. We returned only a few days later because we enjoyed it so much. The Pacific Heights neighborhood can't be beat, nor can the mansions which are stunning.

The hotel and its staff are graceful and terrific. The rooms are very nice, especially the suites which is where we stayed in. I saw further down in the reviews that people complained of no a/c in the rooms. Hello...you don't need a/c is SF.

we left our hearts at The Drisco!

by TripAdvisor Member greenacres3

I had high hopes for our trip to San Francisco and staying at the Drisco ensured a wonderful trip. From my first contact with the staff to make our reservation, everything went incredibly smoothly. The staff is exceptional, always willing to go the extra step. They are professional yet friendly and if they can't answer a question immediately they will find the answer quickly. The actual number of staff is also impressive. The hotel is located in a magnificent area in SF and while it is not in the center of all the action, the view from the hills of Pacific Heights is far more exciting. The hills are rigorous but we also had a car and we had no trouble parking. You do have to move the car every three hours but the staff offered to do it for us if we weren't around! We had no trouble getting a cab as the hotel called them for us and they were there within 10 minutes. You are also near the Fillmore Street and Chestnut Street shopping areas which are a lot of fun. Our family stayed in a lovely two bedroom city view suite, which gave us ample room and stunning views. The bathrooms are large and well appointed. The continental breakfast and wine and cheese hour included for all guests makes the Drisco even more special and affordable. The dining room and sitting rooms are quite comfortable and inviting. We stayed a week and were extremely happy and would not even think of staying anyplace else when we return to SF.

The remains of it allThe remains of it all

Snowy Plovers in SF Ocean Beach SurfSnowy Plovers in SF Ocean Beach Surf

B.A.R.T. TrainB.A.R.T. Train

Downtown from Palace of Legion of HonorDowntown from Palace of Legion of Honor

day trip to muir woods

hi I am planing a trip to SF in September and want to
visit Muir Woods. I will have no car and was wondering what
the best(cheapest) way to get there using public transportation.
Do you know if there are any shuttles that pick and drop you up at the hotel?
I'm not looking for tours because we like to wander off and explore on
our own!

by goodfish

This is a shuttle you can pick up but ONLY on weekends and holidays. Here's the info:

No, they won't pick you up at the hotel.

by ekjane2

thank you! we are staying at union square and was
wondering how we might get to the muir woods shuttle?
I'm not familiar with public transportation.

by goodfish

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, it'll tell you which buses you need to take to the shuttle stop and where to pick them up. You can also do this by taking the ferry to Sausalito and picking the shuttle up there but the ferry is more expensive than the bus.

by goodfish

Check out this Muir woods open top bus tour. It's a hop on/hop off that allows you to wander the woods at your own pace and might be just what you're looking for:

by ekjane2

Thank you! this helps a lot!

You're welcome!!

Just to note - if you were interested in the hop on/hop off bus, the price doesn't include entry to Muir Woods, and the length of time you'll have there is somewhere between 60-90 minutes. It also notes that you can arrange pickup at your hotel (there may be a separate fee for that.) Anyway read the info carefully? I see it also includes a short stop in Sausalito, and a stop at the Palace of Fine arts for an photo op.

Comments