2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

140 Ellis Street, (Formerly Gate Hotel), San Francisco, California, 94102, United States
Booking.com Hotels.com Orbitz.com

Costs 148% more than similarly rated 2.5 star hotels

More about Hotel Fusion

great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member albertatraveler2129

A friend and I stayed at Hotel Fusion Sept 26 for 2 nights.
It has a great location - very close to Union Square and the cable car turnaround, near the Visitor Centre and BART. The rooms were clean, a bit small though, but very nicely decorated. The staff was friendly and helpful. The free breakfast was on from 7am to 930am - they had muffins, bread to toast and crossants, as well as juice, coffee and tea. We had a great experince at Hotel Fusion and highly recommend it!!!

Great location, Great time

by TripAdvisor Member Goviemom

We took a trip to San Francisco over Labor Day weekend and wanted to post a thank you to all the people who have written such great reviews of Hotel Fusion! Your reviews are right on; in fact, throughout our stay, I kept saying to my husband "the reviews mentioned this" or "they mentioned that." The street noise and meager breakfast were our only complaints, but we expected them because of the reviews! This is a wonderful place to stay at a decent price in the heart of the city. It was so close to BART (We flew into Oakland, did AirBART then BART to Powell Street). And we were right on a bus line to our daughter's new pad - couldn't have been easier. The lack of air conditioning should not be a problem now that the warmest part of the season is over. You can request a fan as we did - my husband needs white noise for sleeping, so it drowned out most of the 3:30 am garbage truck noise. If street noise will bother you, I highly recommend requesting an interior room. (My husband returned the following week for a convention and had an interior room, which he said was much quieter.) We enjoyed watching the neighborhood go to sleep and wake up outside our window too much to worry about noise. Great shower, great towels and linens, cool TV. We were very comfortable each night after long days of sightseeing. Thanks everyone!

Great Value for Money

by TripAdvisor Member moiyoi

After reading the glowing reviews here, I decided to take a chance on the Fusion and was happy with the experience overall. The front desk staff and the concierges were extremely friendly and courteous. My room was impeccably decorated and immaculately maintained, and even contained some of the little flourishes you find in top properties (like the way the towels were laid out, one of them in a flower-like shape). There was a sizeable flat panel TV in the room, and to my surprise, free high-speed internet access (according to the offering description on Hotels, internet access was supposed to be an additional charge for me – I did have to pay $3 for a connection cable since I didn’t have my own, but that covered the entire 7-day stay I was there). The hotel is located in prime tourist area and extremely convenient to public transportation (be careful about wandering just a few blocks to the west though, as you end up in the notorious Tenderloin -- its proximity isn’t really a concern if you just don’t go there).

Now here come my gripes: The internet connection jack was right behind the bed’s headboard, which means I had to use my laptop on the bed instead of at the desk. This got fatiguing after a while.

Another thing: Sometimes there was a humming noise in my room. Not sure if it was the pipes or what.

Also, the maid service left something to be desired. One morning, around 8 AM, one of the maids tried to enter the room without knocking first. Granted, I didn’t have the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door, but I think they should always knock before entering, especially at that hour.

On another day, I placed a tip for the maid on the pillow then left for a few hours. When I came back, the room still was not made up but the tip was gone. I found that really weird.

On another day, one of the maids disturbed my afternoon nap to ask if she had left a cell phone in my room (she hadn’t).

The real kicker came after I checked out. While checking out at the front desk I was asked if I had drunk any of the bottles of Evian in the room. I answered no, but thought to myself “What Evian?”, as I had never seen any bottles of water in the room (and even if I had, I wouldn’t have been stupid enough to consume them, given the ridiculous prices of mini-bar type items). When I got home, I checked my credit card bill and found an extra charge from the Hotel Fusion for $7.90. I called the hotel and got put through to the manager, who explained to me that the charge was for Evian bottles. When I told him that there had never been any Evian in the room, he contacted the housekeeping staff, who insisted that there was. I reiterated that there wasn’t, so he told me he would remove the charge immediately, but did so in a manner as if to say “I’m not sure if I believe you”. I suppose he has no way of knowing who is telling the truth in this situation, but that just added insult to injury. It certainly made me regret tipping the maids as much as I did.

However, these negatives don’t even come close to outweighing the positives of the hotel. I booked my reservation through hotels.com and got an excellent weekly rate. Really, it’s hard to believe that this is only rated as a 2* hotel, since it is just so nice. Okay, so the breakfast consists of synthetic muffins, but I don’t care about breakfast anyway.

Good price, excellent location

by TripAdvisor Member JEM72

Room was small, but clean and comfortable. Didn't try the complimentary breakfast.

Location was great, very near the Powell Street cable car turntable and BART station, which made getting to the airport really easy.

If you arrive late and can't be bothered to go wandering around looking for somewhere to eat, you could do a lot worse than try the Italian restaurant opposite, Puccini & Pinetti.

If you are sightseeing, I also highly recommend getting a 3 day or 7 day MUNI passport, which allows you unlimited rides on all Muni vehicles, including the cable cars and historic street cars.

boutique chic for cheap!

by TripAdvisor Member shrinkwrapped

Pretty much flawless for a two to three-star property. The service was adequate though there was a bit of a language barrier at check in. It is however, spotlessly clean and in an incredible location - just 1 (short) block to the Powell cablecar, 1 block to Market street with streetcars, buses, Muni subway, and BART. You can go anywhere in the city or the bay area. There are many restaurants from fast food to fine dining in a couple of block radius. There is quite literally a Walgreen's drug store on every block in case you forgot your toothbrush.

Formerly the Gates Hotel, purchased by San Fran's ctwo chain and totally renovated inside and out. Virtually no trace remains of the original save for some of the wood trim around the windows and stairs. It feels like a brand new hotel. There are three distinct design themes at play. The first is modern asian, found in the lobby and the rooms. The second is what I like to call "modern american hotel" in the guest hallways - serously is there some kind of law about vertically striped wallpaper in two-tone beige? Every hotel I stayed in on this trip had the same wallpaper in the halls. The third theme, found in the bathroom is retro 30s-40s. We're talking turqoise walls, small mosaic tiles and chrome fixtures. Note that while the building does appear to be that vintage - the facade has art deco touches - the bathroom was all new from top to bottom.

The Room - a "Deluxe Queen" was smaller than your average American hotel room but adequate for one person. I'm not sure you'd want to put even a couple in it as there was only space for one side table by the bed, plus a small writing desk, minibar, and a single closet. Larger rooms, available for a slightly higher rate, might be a better choice if you have children or mobility problems.

3 simple improvements they could make: a clothing hook in the bathroom, one of those curved shower curtain rods for a little more space in the shower (tub is standard size) and change the flourescent lights in the hallway to something with a bit more character, or at least turn half of them off at night so less light bleeds under the door.

The free breakfast is a bit cheap - toast, mini muffins, croissants with butter and jelly. Coffee, tea, orange or cranberry juice, and some rather sad looking oranges and apples. But very much in line with what you get at this level.

All in all a great stay and a great value for downtown San Francisco. I will be back for sure.

I Must Be Missing Something

by TripAdvisor Member Kalico

We just returned from a 2 night stay at the Fusion and will not be staying there again. Check-in took forever since there was only 1 person working the front desk and there were 3 other parties ahead of us. We were told the manager had instructed the front desk to give us an upgrade to a suite because they were out of the type of room we had reserved (a deluxe double which we booked 2 months in advance). The elevator was not working on the way up to our 5th fl. room so we had to walk up the entire way. We just figured this has got to be a temporary thing and we'll overlook it ...as it turns out, the elevator was broke off and on all weekend and our "suite" turned out to be a regular size hotel room divided in half. One half had a daybed which was only good for putting your luggage on seeing that the closet was the size of a gym locker (about 12 inches wide). The room with the bed was totally claustophobic.

After returning from dinner we noticed an incredible noise that sounded like a helicopter was on the roof directly above us. We called the front desk to request a room change and they moved us to a room directly below the last room we were in. Same problem ..tons of noise. Called the front desk again and they were finally able to come up with a regular room (which is what we wanted all along and what we had booked originally). This room was much better ...bigger room, bigger closet and no noise from the roof. Only problem was it faced the street and and in teh middle of the night you could hear bottles being thrown in a garbage truck and lots of late-nite revelers.

At $225/night we expected more. I know you don't get much for your money in a big city but I'm sure we could have done a lot better for the money.

Not worth it

by TripAdvisor Member DustinT12

Kinda' bummed because I paid top dollar to stay here for a week ($225/night). I did get a top floor room but there was nothing very special about it. There was no adequate work space for a laptop. Also, there was no wireless, you need to hardwire into a network jack that's located behind the bed(!), AND they charge you a few bucks if you don't have your own cable. The bathroom was small and not very accomodating. No counter space or table to place your toiletry items. Ugly colors in the bathroom too. The gym, and I can barely call it a gym, is in the basement. It's one crappy treadmill, an even crappier eliptical, and a few dumbells, all in the room the size of a large walk-in closet. Perhaps the most laughable part of my stay was the "included" breakfast. It consisted of Sam's Club-purchased muffins, croissants, and white sandwich bread that you could use to make toast. Probably the stalest breakfast foods I've ever tasted. To wash down these tasty morsels was watered down OJ dispensed from a machine.

As for the good, location I suppose. Within walking distance of Union Square and some key shopping. The concierge was very good, always suggesting good places to go and quite friendly. Also the king size bed was very comfortable.

If you're looking for a good place to stay in downtown San Fran, keep looking.

Great location and comfortable hotel

by TripAdvisor Member notpickytraveler

Fantastic location -- I felt safe as a solo traveler. Great shopping and restaraunts nearby. Had a few minor problems with my room and the staff was very accomodating and switched me to another room immediately. Very clean bathrooms, nice showers. Comfortable bed and the flat screen TV was nice. I would definitely stay here again.

You Cannot Do Better For The Price/Location In S.F.

by TripAdvisor Member Jonrhanson

We were a little concerned and scared booking this hotel because the price was so reasonable, and the location was so great. We had a Queen room (Standard room), and the rate was $109/nt. The hotel directly was willing to match any online price we found, so we just booked it directly. You will pay $33/day to Valet for the day, but you are allowed to take your car in and out as many times as you wish. That is really the only parking option, as street parking is limited by both time and availability. The hotel is in a GREAT location. Right in the heart of Union Square. The cable car is about 2 blocks (Right outside the GAP), as is tons of shopping, i.e. GAP, OAKLEY, MACY'S, PUMA, etc. The area is very nice and safe. There are plenty of restaurants, etc. in the vacinity.

Now for the rooms. The hotel looks like it is brand new. It is seriously as if it opened a week before we were there. The ONLY drawback to the rooms is the size. They are slightly smaller than the average room, but not a big deal at all. Flat screen TV on the wall, very clean and nice overall. Don't expect a nice breakfast. Just muffins, toast, OJ, etc., but totally sufficient. I am not kidding you, this place is great, and you won't find another hotel in this area for the price. People mentioned on the reviews it was noisy. We didn't find that at all. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone, and I am very picky when it comes to hotel rooms.....Feel free to e-mail me with any questions you may have. jonrhanson@hotmail.com

rip off

by TripAdvisor Member nocal1

This hotel is in bad shape!! It is loud, dark, hot and stinky!! The pictures and website are very deceiving. They have a good idea going but it has not been implemented.

At the Touch PoolAt the Touch Pool

The gang pauses at the DeYoung cafeThe gang pauses at the DeYoung cafe

My wife and her BelliniMy wife and her Bellini

Windblown Guy on the RightWindblown Guy on the Right

Food,supermarkets and appliances in San Francisco

by Dulebg

I promiss this one is last :-)

Can you please suggest me reasonable priced stores/supermarkets where I can buy food to prepare at home?
Should I buy water too or I can drin tap water too?

Since voltage in US is different from those in EU, can someone tell me where can I by adaptors/plug-ins?

Million thanks :-)

Dusan

by adelinemmc

Hi

There's a big Safeway on Market street between Church & Dolores. A few buses/trams (F line tram for inst.) go there.

Good choice of food from fresh vegs & fruit, can, meat etc...I don't think the prices are much cheaper than anywhere else but the selection is good. Can't remember exact opening hours but it almost 24/7.

Otherwise there is also a smaller Cala Food at California & Hyde (two cable cars lines go past) if that's nearer for you.

There are prob a lot more stores but those are the two I know.
A

by yvr

Yes, you can drink the tap water in San Francisco. There are supermarkets all over San Francisco, you won't have a problem finding one. Would suggest you buy your adaptors prior to leaving home, this will save you time. Otherwise you can purchase them at Radio Shack, Best Buy and other stores that sell electrical components.

by xymmot

Adeline nail the Safeway. Only one that I know of in SF. Local shopping in your neighborhood from Mom and Pop stores is good for the economy. How long are you staying in SFO.? Most long stay have kitchen household appliance. Most voltage to EU 240 sucks and would not get a converter. If using lap top or electronics, most convert to 110V. Check the labels on the transformer, if they have a sign 110~240V, you can plug straight into the outlet. You can drink the tap water, but would get a Britta water filter, or boil water first,tap water is drinkable, it is law. There is many fresh markets places all over sf, ONE OF THEM IS CHINATOWN, there is one by the pier in the Embarcadero area too on the weekends. Enjoy SFO as it is my favorite city by the bay. Tommy x

by goodfish

Actually, there's quite a number of Safeways in the city. This website will help you find the one closest to wherever you're staying:

Otherwise, yes, there are smaller neighborhood markets everywhere so no problem finding groceries.

by grandmaR

If you have a laptop computer that has a 'brick' (aka power supply) which takes the wall voltage and puts it into the computer, most of the time that will have a notice on it that says it is good for 110/240. But you will still need a plug to convert from two round prongs to the two flat prongs. I'd get one now and stick it on the end of your power cord.

I would not bring any heating appliances with you like hair dryers or irons. They will either blow the system or won't work.

by Dulebg

Guys thanks a lot for all the info, much appreciated :-)

by goodfish

Ooh - good call on the Ferry Building market, Barbara! I completely forgot about that one and it's great fun!!

by Dulebg

Oh, thanks for that one.
I think I exactly know where it is. I have a clear picture of the area on my mind as I saw that area on photos ;-)

Comments