Hotel Kabuki San Francisco

3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

1625 Post St, (formerly Miyako Hotel San Francisco), San Francisco, California, 94115, United States

Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 58% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• yellowbell's Profile Photo

Way to go Kabuki!

Another Joie de Vivre hotel (joy of living) lived up to its reputation. It's my first time to stay in a JDV hotel and I will not hesitate to do it again. It's a quaint but a comfortable experience!

Kabuki hotel is in Japan town and boasts of Chinese, Korean and of course Japanese restaurants and malls nearby. Next door is the Peace Pagoda.

Bus lines going to Golden Gate and Union Square are both a short block away from the hotel.

The lobby has subdued lighting and ergonomic IKEA furniture that gave the rooms a minimalist appeal. Staff is friendly and helpful.

JDV at $120 without tax for 3 people is not bad because it normally goes for $160 (go and book it at travelocity and check out the best buy calendar).

Unique Quality: It hosts a wine/sake reception every 5 pm and you can indulge in hot salt bath in the comfort of your room.

Another perfect gadget is the IPOD dock that allowed me to play my fave music right from my IPOD.

Hey, the bathroom is roomy too.

Directions: Japan town

• mands732000's Profile Photo

Slightly off the beaten track

Great hotel, suited us perfectly. About 10 blocks out of Union Square but the No. 2 bus takes you in and the 38 brings you back along Geary Boulevard.

Did walk it one night but wouldn't recommend it - can be a bit dicey.

Dot's restaurant did a lovely breakfast, we only ate there once.

Service was very good although we didn't ask a lot of them. Hotel was quiet despite a large conference being in. Nice, relaxed atmosphere.

Unique Quality: Rooms were great, Japanese sunken bath was divine, very spacious and an excellent view from the balcony.

There's an underground link from the Miyako to the Japan Centre nearby which has some unique shops and restaurants. Very Nice !!

Directions: Located in JapanTown by the Peace Pagoda, between Post and Geary.

• Staff Leaves Much to be Desired

I had my wedding here during the weekend of October 9th. The rooms, the suite as well as my wedding guests' rooms, were very nice and clean. My problems stemmed exclusively from a few staff members. Among some of the problems being dismissive, unaccommodating front desk people when I was trying to locate my wedding party which was coming in from out of town, I had problems with my guests booking rooms here even though I had already booked out a block of 10 rooms in July 2004. My guests were told that no space was available for that weekend.

The day of the wedding, Ken Nadel, the banquet manager, royally screwed up a major portion of the wedding - he authorized a cash bar instead of a host bar, which is what I agreed to in the contract. This was a huge embarrassment for my family, as for a good 20 minutes, my guests are being charged for drinks without me knowing! I went straight into Mr. Nadel's office, bridal attire and all, and wanted to know why there was a cash bar out there. He dismissively said, "Well that's what it says on the order." I told him to show me where he saw that. He flips to the appropriate page, looks for a few seconds and says, "Oh, it's our error." He didn't apologize at that moment and has not since. In fact, when he heard about my complaint towards him, he refused a discount for us even though he made the major screw up. My point is, everyone makes mistakes - even big ones like that. I can understand that. The fact that Mr. Nadel has never apologized to me or my family for the screw up and that he hit us with the entire bill (no discounts offered for THEIR mistakes) is totally contrary to what the "hospitality "business is all about. I would NOT recommend the Radisson Miyako to anyone looking for a venue in which to hold an important event. If you're getting married, go elsewhere and have a good one.

Unique Quality: Nice rooms, clean bathrooms, a great bellman named Joe Macasieb who made our stay there tolerable.

Directions: Japantown. If you want to be in the downtown area, it will take you about 20 minutes by bus to get there.

More about Hotel Kabuki San Francisco

Loved the Kabuki Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Shoshan

My husband and I needed a hotel room for only one night and chose the Kabuki Hotel. The hotel was wonderful and the staff very accommodating. We were generously greeted upon check-in with complimentary sake and/or wine which was a lovely touch. Our room was gorgeous and we treated ourselves to the Japanese bath treatment (ofuro) provided in our room complete with step by step instructions. We felt transported in time and country. The attention to detail in the room and the atttentive staff made our stay truly memorable and we wished we'd had time to stay additional nights. Though the hotel was under renovation, we were not inconvenienced in any way.

Joie de Vivre Hotel was a joy

by TripAdvisor Member DDTexas

A friend had described a recent stay in SF that sounded delightful so I checked in to her suggestion. We did not choose that one, but it was part of the Joie de Vivre Hotels chain. As I looked at other options they had to offer, I became interested in the Hotel Kabuki .We were looking for something a bit different in San Francisco at Christmas--NOT drowning in Christmas decor--and a Japanese themed hotel seemed like the ticket. Then, the location turned out to be central. We loved it. Went everywhere on buses or walked. Staff could not have been nicer. Rooms very nicely appointed and I thought the rate was a bargain. Our view was fantastic. We booked a couple of nights for othere family members and they were equally impressed. A small problem did arise, but it was far overshadowed by how well it was handled. I will definitely look to Joie de Vivre Hotels for future visits to CA.

Japanese Bliss-American style

by TripAdvisor Member neaNyc

We really enjoyed our family (2 adults, 2 children) stay at the Kabuki hotel. It is centrally located and we were able to get around the city easily. The hotel is connected to a mall with inexpensive food items----an array of Japanese food and there is dining at the hotel as well. Spent time in the small but empty fitness room and very much enjoyed the Japanese soaking tub in the room. Hotel guests receive one free pass to the Kabuki spring/spa bath house but book spa treatments well in advance!!!!!!-I was unable to book any treatments during my stay.

Would stay again...the rooms were clean and stylish and the daily wine tasting cocktail hour was a lovely touch.

The room was a little small for 4 but I was told it might be tight. Next time, we will book the family suite off the garden.

Could be a great hotel, but...

by TripAdvisor Member bdeml

I thought this hotel would be much better based on the reviews. It's true that the lobby is spotless and when you're there it seems like it will be a great stay, but it seems like they gave, like, 75% effort on our stay. Some of the disappointments were:
1. No ice bucket. Had to call downstairs and wait 15 minutes for one to be brought up. (Isn't there a checklist of some kind for the housekeeping staff?)
2. Broken shower bracket meant I had to hold the shower thing by the handle the whole time. An almost relaxing shower.
3. Sliding glass doors to balcony is shared with the room next door. Before you jump out of bed, swing the curtains open and say "Good Morining San Francisco!" be sure to check the folks from the room next door aren't looking into your room. Also, the balcony sliding doors where unlocked when we arrived which means if we hadn't checked, we'd have left all our stuff in there totally accessible by the next door neigbors via the shared balcony.
4. Bare wall patch where they had done some repairs in our room, but not repaired enought to paint or paper over. Oh yea, very Zen spackle job there.
5. Security Risk - although there is a sign when entering the hotel through the totally Public parking garage in the basement saying someone will have to buzz you into the hotel... we just parked, opened the door to the hotel and took the elevator directly to the 10th floor and our room! How can you ever trust a knock on the door for "room service" after that kind of a security hole in a major city?

Anyway, this is a nice location and the lobby and decorating hint at superb service, but it's like the management is alseep at the switch, so you get good service only when a particular staff member feels like it... 75% of the time.

Radisson Miyako hotel - neighbourhood

by stevenpalmaers

Hi,

in June, I'll be coming back to San Francisco

last year I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott hotel on 2nd st and found the neighbourhood quite safe to walk around, even after dark

this year, we'll be staying at the Radisson Miyako hotel on Post st, located in Japantown. I know it's a little more remotely located and there's not that much to see in the close neighbourhood, but I was wondering if it is safe to walk around near the hotel at night, for example to visit a bar, or walk back to the hotel after a late night movie or something.

I want to thank you all in advance for your replies and tips

RE: Radisson Miyako hotel - neighbourhood

by SFHulaGIrl

Yes, the neighborhood is relatively safe. There are the Kabuki movie theaters and the Japantown mall right there. Actually, you're also very close to Fillmore Street, which has plenty of restaurants, bars and shopping. On Fillmore, you could go to Florio (French/Italian food), Via Veneto (Italian), Fresca (Peruvian) or Elite Cafe (Creole) for dinner. For bars, try Harry's Bar or the Grove. Florio and the Elite Cafe are also fun places to drink. Rasselas is an Ethiopian restaurant, which turns into a club with live jazz in the evenings. I live on Van Ness Avenue, and walk down Post Street to Fillmore Street all the time, evenings included! You'll be fine.

RE: Radisson Miyako hotel - neighbourhood

by jessicadf

Yep, SFHulagirl's right. It's perfectly safe to walk around at night. I highly recommend Rassella's. Great food and great jazz. See if anyone you want to see is playing at the Fillmore Auditorium while you're in town -- it's *right there*. As well as the Boom Boom Room (blues club).

Comments