Hotel Mark Twain San Francisco

Booking.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 44% more and rated 16% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Hotel Mark Twain San Francisco

The Mark Twain Is Truly A Taste Of Classic San Francisco!

by TripAdvisor Member mophil

How to describe the Mark Twain Hotel?? Well, I consider the Mark Twain a TRUE San Francisco Classic! We were greeted with a friendly smile and the best customer service we had seen in a long long time! We felt so welcome right from the start! The woman at the front desk was fantastic and I have to also mention that we were lucky enough to meet the Sales Manager, Kevin too! He is truly an asset to the hotel! His love for his city really shows and he exhibits by far, the BEST customer service I have experienced! I have trained many people in customer service and Kevin would be rated the absolute top in the business!

The hotel itself has a quaint, lovely atmosphere! It simply showed me that the olde San Francisco class still exists! Our room was wonderful! The room faced Taylor street and yes, we did hear some traffic outside, but that is part of life in the heart of the City! San Francisco pulses with life! After all, the PEOPLE ARE San Francisco! They are its never ending charm! Even the homeless are curtious and if you don't want to give to them, they simply smile and say "thank you anyway!" We found that from the cab drivers, to the homeless, ALL take pride in their city! So refreshing! If you want complete quiet and solitude, I suggest you take a holiday in the mountains rather than in a great city like San Francisco. Our room was decorated with olde San Francisco Charm and was quite comfortable! Large room and we loved the walk in closet! Big Bathroom as well! Such a deal for the price! The old radiator hissed out tales of the olde City and put out more than enough heat! The Mark Twain is truly an asset to San Francisco, if you want Class, Charm and great Service, than this is the hotel for you! We WILL stay again and again at the Mark Twain! We truly now have left our hearts in San Francisco! At the Hotel Mark Twain, of course!

get a room Not Facing Taylor Street!

by TripAdvisor Member 1sunfish

The hotel Mark Twain is a boutique hotel situated behind the Hilton Hotel. However, in SF, a block away does make a difference.

The room was clean, there is a restaurant on the bottom floor of the hotel, and there is a fitness center off of the lobby. That's the plus side of the Mark Twain.

The negative comment? WHATEVER YOU DO, GET A ROOM THAT FACES AWAY FROM TAYLOR STREET! People are yelling outside the hotel until one thirty in the morning. The Hilton deliveries are carried out in front of the Mark Twain, so you hear the garbage truck (and other trucks) roar up at all hours. Also, Greyhound buses are picking up and dropping off passengers on Taylor Street beginning at 5 am. One evening, there seemed to be a drag race taking place out on Taylor Street at about 4 a.m.

I am used to some noise. I live near a freeway in Honolulu, so I am no stranger to the sound of traffic. However, I left the Mark Twain exhausted due to lack of sleep.

Also, always turn left as you leave the lobby on to the street. After you hit Taylor Street, take your first right onto O'Farrell Street. Otherwise, you will find yourself in a fairly spooky part of town.

There are other boutique hotels nearby that are quieter, feel safer and don't cost much more. This is a second choice, rather than a first.

Quit Your Complaining!

I will start by saying that I was a bit concerned booking a stay at this hotel based on prior reviews, although most of them were from October or so 2005. I was meeting a friend from Seattle who had meeting at the Spanish Consulate on Sutter Street, so I needed a hotel in the area that was within walking distance from everything and that is exactly what I got at Hotel Mark Twain. The reason I was concerned is that in addition to myself, my two sons, ages 10 and 3, along with my wife were accompanying me.

The location was right on and although it is near the part of town where my buddies and I used to go when we were in high school and college to get in trouble, I felt comfortable and safe the entire stay. I found street parking about three blocks away although it would have been much easier to just use the valet at $30. When walking around I saw other places from $15 to $25. Having lived in downtown Seattle for seven years, the urban streets did not intimidate us. As long as you just walk, mind your own business, and be polite if asked anything, you will have absolutely no problems. There is also a Walgreens one block up, which is convenient as I had a cold and forgot my medicine. There are many restaurants in the area that will certainly please you and the restaurant next to the hotel (I think it it named Taylor Street Cafe) was one of the best breakfast places I have eaten in a while. Beware, it only takes cash though. The Warfield Theatre is only three blocks away only with Union Square.

The front desk staff were very nice and I was checked in promptly. The room was good enough for the two day stay. I am not sure why some people are so concerned about the room size and stuff like that. Even though I was there with my kids, I still spent very little time in the room. The bathroom was clean and nice and everything worked like it was supposed to.

The elevator was, as reviewed, a little small, but my friend I was meeting, who is European, said that the elevator was actually twice as big as the ones over there. I made a mental note that when I finally do make to to Europe, I will double check the elevator specifications. The only real disappointment was the bar downstairs. I was expecting alittle more night life there, but after dinner when we returned to the hotel, we went to get some drinks and socialize. They had no one there and when someone did arrive, they only had beer and wine. I am a margarita man, so we just went up one block and had a good time. It will not affect my future stay, but if you are thinking of bringing the party back to the hotel, you may be disappointed as well.

Check out went just as smooth as check in and within minutes, we were on road back to Sacramento. I will be coming to S.F. about every other month for a weekend and will certainly use this hotel.

Would not stay here or recommend...

Upon returning to San Francisco for our last 2 nights stay we decided to try our luck with the HMT. Firstly i must big up the fantastic breakfast cafe called Taylors next door to this hotel, this was voted one of San Francisco's best breakfast places and the food is next to none! But you have to pay in cash. Anyway, if i'm honest the front desk were polite, knew their info but i would not stay at this hotel again. The price is ok and for the location too is handy but i disliked our room intensely. And we didn't spend hardly any time in our room. The lift is v tiny and extremely slow. Everything from the carpets were v dated too and the decor and even though we got a free viewing of our room before committing i was disappointed. The size of our room was average, dull colours and strange shutters instead of curtains which let in drafts. The bedlinen was old and flimsey, the bathroom ridiculously tiny, and you could see by the paint cracks, mould appearing that alot of remodernising is needed. Also i am a stickler for basic cleanliness and hygiene and noticed, dust dirt in the bathroom under the mirror along the wall. Worse when i picked up a new face towel and found 2 different coloured hairs on it disgusting! The room smelt too probably due to the age of the carpets and hotel, i requested a quiet room and what i got was at 4am every day the full volume of the dustbin truck complete with siren noises disturb my sleep, also the walls are paper thin and i heard the tv, someone on their mobile's conversation as well as them showering or turning on their fawcets. A real disappointment and unfortunately will never recommend or stay here again.

Not impressed...very old

by TripAdvisor Member nicolemichelle

I checked in and was very disappointed. The lobby was charming, but I could barely fit my medium-sized suitcase thru the elevator door. The first room I checked into was not attractive, had pipes running on the outsides of the walls and a nasty vent in the bathroom that looked 100 years old. The shower was dingy and small and there was no bathtub. I asked for a nicer room and was less than pleased with the second option. There was no air conditioning and the street noise was too loud to leave the window open. I checked out immediately without even knowing if I would receive a refund and went to the beautiful Hilton across the street. Fortunately they had rooms available and I enjoyed a pleasant slumber in a clean, modernized room.

Oh dear. Dear, oh dear.

by TripAdvisor Member aiae

Had a suite here for a night in September 06. Insufficient towels, smelly bathroom, indifferent service (no answer to housekeeping or reception for about 10 minutes when trying to solve the towels problem). Recommend avoiding if possible.

Fair value, great location.

by TripAdvisor Member Marco

Hi,

Hi stayed there for the Oracle Open World 2006 convention from October 21 to 28.

There were no major problem with this place. The room was clean for the exception of the vent in the bathroom that could have use a deep cleaning. There were also some small stains on the carpet but overall it was fine.

The room have a lot of space if you compare to other hotel in the area that have very small room (King George!). But I must mention that they have no A/C in the room so it could get very warm if the weather is hot. You can always open the windows, but if you do be aware that you open it for the bugs too !

The fridge in the room was really appreciated. I also enjoyed the big walk-in closet where you have a safe that you could use for free.

I asked for a quiet room not facing Taylor street and they put me in the back on the second floor (room #214) and it was perfect. Another guy that works with me had a room facing Taylor on the 4th floor and he did experience some trouble with the noise at night but I was never bother by the noise.

And finally, the staff was great. Gary, Christina and Jasmine at the front desk were very helpfull and were always ready to help you for whatever you needed. They provided me with directions, ideas, suggestion for visits, etc...

Gary was always trying to make your stay the best experience you could have, even when he was pretty busy you would never see his smile disappear.

I would go back there not because of the room because I am sure I could find a lot of room equivalent or better in the area, but because of the great staff.

Better stay at Hilton across the road

by TripAdvisor Member meliri2002

The service was good. However, the towels were not there, when we checked in ( around 3pm). I have called the reception and have been told that the towels were in the laundry and would be brought to the room in a few hours. When we came back at about 8pm, there were still no towels. After a 2nd phone call, the towels were brought.

To crown it all, great location! However, I would recommend to stay at Hilton nearby.

Not a good location

by TripAdvisor Member The Mekon

We picked this hotel on the basis of price, so it was our own fault. The bed linen and bath towels were clean. The rooms were dull in decoration, no air conditioning or fans in the rooms. The only ventilation was lifting the window a couple of inches from the bottom, therefore the bathroom ran in condensation. The heating only worked late evening until early morning and the radiator jumped off the floor about an inch. The staff were helpful and polite. The internet facility in the reception area had limited availability. The price we paid was far more than we would have been charged if we booked directly.
Once it gets dark, we would not be out, too many homeless people in the doorways and begging for money and food.
If we went back to San Francisco, we would stay in the Fishermans Wharf area.
The Muni system of bus/tram is excellent at $1.50 per person any distance and transfers are valid too.

San Francisco During Easter

by Lazarusman96

"Finding an Easter Mass"

This was Easter and I had to find a place to attend Mass on Easter morning, as I would be traveling most of Saturday. I found a Mass available at the nerve center of the Diocese of San Francisco, a very impressive Cathedral within a moderate walk through the Theater District from the Executive Mark Twain Hotel. Mass followed breakfast at the Hilton, right across the street from the hotel, and it was nice to see the menus were exactly like those at the downtown Pittsburgh Hilton.

A Big Enough Shark For My LikingA Big Enough Shark For My Liking

The gang pauses at the DeYoung cafeThe gang pauses at the DeYoung cafe

Eggs BenedictEggs Benedict

Verrrrry Interesting!Verrrrry Interesting!

And one again :-) Clothes shops

by Dulebg

Im not keeping the promisses obviously:-)

Any tips for clothes shoping?

I need to buy business suit and shoes, where should I go to look for it?
Do you know the price range maybe?

Im trying to figure it out if its cheaprt here in Belgrade or in SF.

Thanks!

Dusan

by Manara

I suggest to try Macy's, in Union Square. They have a discount card for foreign visitors, so you should go first to the Customers' Bureau (or a similar name) on the top floor of the main building, bringing your passport to prove you are a foreign visitor and get your card. Men's clothes are in a separate building, on the side of the main building.

by YVRDave

Depending on the quality you want the spectrum may start at The Mens Wearhouse http://www.menswearhouse.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Menswear_-1_10601_10051_10051_10051_Menswear.html

to d.Fine or Brooks Brothers on Union Square. I am sure there is also a Brioni or Zegna store too.

by Jeannette1

Check Macy's catalog at:

It will give you an idea of the prices. Remember that the price listed does not include the state sales tax. I believe it's about 8% in San Francisco.
Macys has sales all the time, so it's best to buy an item that is on sale. I personally never buy things at Macys UNLESS they are on sale.
Have fun
Jeannette

by Dulebg

Thanks a lot, you really helped me with this.

Have a nice and pleasant weekend!

Best regards,
Dusan

by sandyn

There are several Jos. A. Banks Men's Clothing stores in the Sf area. Compare their prices on their website. They always have great deals like "buy one suit, get one free."

Thanks Sandy, this one is really good! Ill go there as soon as I arrive SF