25 Mason Street, San Francisco, California, 94102, United States

Orbitz.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 45% more and rated 22% lower than other 3 star hotels

• Great for the budget traveler

This hotel is located at the edge of downtown San Francisco. By edge, I mean right where the good neighborhood runs into the bad. I just wanted to mention this first. We traveled with a 2 year old and had absolutely no problems. You do see a few bums hanging around for one short block but you are literally a few feet away from some of the best shopping, a metro station (Powell Street) and good restaurants.

It is the lowest priced hotel that we found in the downtown/Union Square area probably because of its location. The hotel itself was not bad at all and the staff were very friendly and helpful and had great suggestions to offer.

In short, go for it if you want to stay at a great location and not pay exorbitant prices. But if you are uncomfortable with seeing a few homeless bums for one block or so, then this is not the place for you.

Unique Quality: Absolutely free High-Speed Internet. This was a boon to us as we surfed the web a lot to find information regarding what to do, looking up BART information and deciding where to eat while we were there.

Directions: Powell Street Metro station. At the corner of Mason, Turk and Market Streets.

• sophiebeans's Profile Photo

Great location!

Pretty decent hotel at a good price. Very good location! Right down by Union Square, two blocks from the BART, bus stops, cabel cars and shopping!

Directions: Union Square

More about Hotel Metropolis

The worst ever

by TripAdvisor Member Canadagal

I stayed at the Hotel Metropolis on March 17, 2005. I was orginally booked at the Kensington Park Hotel (which is a great hotel). Unfortunately, when I arrived at the Kensington Park at 11:00pm on the 17th, I was informed they no longer had any rooms and was redirected to their sister hotel - The Hotel Metropolis.

There is really nothing good I can say about this hotel. It is basically located on Market Sreet, a very busy, noisy street where allot of homeless hang out. The room was filthy. The bed spreads were once a nice mauve color but were so covered with stains, it was disgusting. The rugs were dirty. The walls also grim. The room was tiny but they may have been a good thing - less dirt to look at!

I stayed the next 3 nights at the Kensington Park - much nicer stay.

I would not recomend this hotel to anyone.

Amazing service

My partner and I had the pleasure of staying at the Hotel Metropolis recently and the staff were wonderful. Nothing was too much trouble for them and they were extremely informative and courteous. The rooms were immaculate and the chambermaids very efficient. There was a little renovating taking place, but we were not disturbed by this at all. Hallways a little jaded, but as mentioned they were being renovated. Would have been nice to have had tea/coffee making facilities in the room, but this was our only gripe. The hotel very close to the 'seedier' part of SF, but we never felt nervous or threatened and walked everywhere, even at night.
Would definitely use again, if i'm lucky enough to be back there any time soon.

Funky Hotel on a Budget

I read the reviews here before we went so we were prepared for it to be in a bad neighbourhood. It was a bit sketchy, but being from Vancouver I'm used to panhandlers. And you only have to walk a couple blocks towards Union Square to escape that! It's an older building and the plumbing sucks but for the price (we paid $85/night through -----------------) it's a great deal. San Fran is expensive!

Also the major hotel staff were on strike and picketing with megaphones! Thank god we didn't stay there!

Not sure if it was mentioned, but the hotel is less than 2 blocks from BART train station - a major plus, it costs only $5/person from the airport. Close to chinatown, too - great dim sum at the Great Oriental Restaurant.

Great Location and Value - Loved the Ambiance

by TripAdvisor Member msmegmog

Stayed in a twin "water themed" room in mid October 2004. This hotel is located on the corner of Market and Mason and on the very edge of the Tenderloin, which is quite a bad area. It is excellent value if you aren’t the sort of person who is worried by the homeless population in San Francisco. Yes, there are beggars out the front door, but a polite “No” usually suffices, especially if you have a streetwise appearance. Loved the ambiance of the hotel, the complementary internet and mediation room was great. Rooms are quite small (we had a twin, so there was less room with 2 double beds, than a double room with a queen bed of the same size). But having paid only $US60 a night, we couldn't complain. One tip when staying in this hotel, request a room facing the carpark. As there is no air-conditioning, we had to keep the windows open and the noise from the street below was quite loud and we got very little sleep. The location was excellent, only a short walk to Powell Street Metro and BART Station, the cable car turn around, and street cars on Market street. Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone who has street smarts and wants to stay in the centre of San Francisco on a budget.

Terrible Neighbourhood and windows don't hold back the noise from the street

by TripAdvisor Member RalfBeier

The rooms are spacious enough and clean, the staff o.k.. But if you want to have some sleep at night - take another hotel! I rember the 7 eleven truck delievering the store at 3 a.m. and the homeless people jelling all night in front of the hotel very well.......

Terrible Location

Having researched hotels in San Francisco we were after a budget priced hotel in a central and safe location. Unfortunately, none of the research indicated that this hotel was on the verge of the Tenderloin District which is one of the more unsavoury and unsafe areas of San Fran. We felt most unsafe when entering or exiting the hotel due to the location. Don't be fooled that this hotel is on Union Square. It is 4 blocks away (short walk of 5 minutes) but in the wrong direction.

If you choose to stay here, be aware that the accomodation is basic but adequate however, you may wish to request a quiet room facing the car park as opposed to the main street. Also, bring ear plugs as the walls are paper thin. We could hear our neighbour snoring and talking to his wife at 3am. Don't be fooled by the trendy reception area that is often used to advertise the hotel.

We liked it

by TripAdvisor Member skeletoncrew

We stayed at this hotel for 6 nights and before we booked it we knew that it was on the edge of Tenderloin. Hotel has great location, 2 blocks from cable cars, but walls are paper thin, we could hear people in next room zipping their bags!! Staff is polite, rooms are clean, basic and coffee and papers are free. Our room was facing Market street and we didn't mind the noise. Homeless people are just outside of the hotel and hotel has security at the door. By the way we were here with our 7 years old son, so it's ok, homeless people don't bite.

Not so bad

by TripAdvisor Member HeatherDallas

We booked the hotel through Travelocity, then went to tripadvisor.com. Bad idea, we should have looked then booked. Anyway, the hotel is not terrible itself. It is in a bad area, but there are homeless people everywhere in SF. The worst thing about the hotel was the $29 a day valet service where your car is basically parked right in front of the doors (but you pay $29 to have them drive it two feet forward- a joke) the bed (I basically slept on springs), and the size of the rooms (I swear my closet is as big). The decor' was pretty cool and the hotel staff was very friendly. Each morning the maids saw me leave my room they went out of their way to say "Hi". If you are traveling with hopes of coming back to your room and relaxing- this is not the hotel for you. If you'll be out and about and only need a place to sleep- this is not the hotel for you. Try something a little further North.

Hotel advise

by norviccheng

Hello there!

I'm from the Philippines and me and my friends are planning to visit SFO this January 2008. We plan to stay at the Hotel Metropolis, heard that it's near the edge of the Tenderloin district which is pretty unsafe. Should we book another hotel? Or is the safety issue exaggerated? thanks!

by wanderer9020

this hotel is okey,safer than Tondo if you say so.

by lostsooner55

If you'll list your requirements for a hotel, (price, etc), and what you wish to see, and do, while in San Francisco, we may be able to come up with a better option for you. As has been stated, the daytime would probably be Ok. Night-time in, or near, the Tenderloin can be a bit too "interesting" for some people, however. The larger hotels in the area definitely seem to have more than the standard number of security personnel. Gary

by heryanta

Hotel Metropolis is on Mason & Turk, which is perfectly ok.
You will see homeless people (but they also hang around on Market and Union Square) but not so much prostitutes or drug dealers.

I always think Leavenworth is where it starts to get edgy (and that's 3 blocks West - Mason, Taylor, Jones and then Leavenworth).

Regards,
Andy

by dublinerpaul

There are lots of apartments to rent in SF

try

www.vrbo.com

or

www.craigslist.com

by Cruiseone2003

The Tenderloin is more bark than bite! If you are street wise, don't do things that call attention to yourself (Walking around with expensive camera equipment, or full shopping bags from Union Square) you'll be fine. I live on the fringe of the Tenderloin and have never had a problem. Yes, there will be people that ask for change, ask you for a cigarette, a few crazies but just walk around and you'll be fine. Plenty of drugs and alcohol too but if you don't want any part of that it won't bother you. The beauty of the Tenderloin is there are plenty of places to eat cheaply, believe it or not there are families that live in the Tenderloin. The other pro's of your location is easy access to Market st, Union Square, SOMA, MUNI and BART.

If you have anyother questions, I'd be happy to give you some guidance.

Ciao,