Hotel Nikko San Francisco

See Amenities

REALLY NOT WORTH IT

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 17, 2009

Arrived at the hotel with raining pouring down. No one there to help with the cases or to open the door. Went to check in. The room I booked and prepaid for through Priceline. I was told the room was not that desirable and the lady at the desk kept trying to sell me an upgrade. In front of my wife whose birthday we were there for. I had arranged everything and didn't appreciate the lady trying to get more money out of me. After hearing how dreadful our room was going to be I agreed to buy the upgrade.
We went up to the room carrying our cases. No Bellboy or someone to help.
Entered the room to find it clean but the furniture looked like it was distressed. All the edges and corners were battered and bruised. Really looked like it was time to replace them.
Met up with a friend who was also staying in the hotel and told him about the upgrade barrage. He mentioned that he did not agree to the additional upgrade charge. Only to find out he was only 5 rooms down from us on the same floor.
We had noon reservations for a Sunday brunch in the hotel and we tried to reschedule it for anytime before 11 am. We were told that it could not be accommodated. They could not find a table . When I told them to cancel my noon reservation because I would go else the manager gave us attitude.
I logged into the internet to see where else we could go and the pc says there is a $10.00 charge to use the internet. On their website it states that one of their amenities is the internet, nothing about with a charge. I have travelled all over the world and have never seen such thing. Then was told would we like to use the pool or the gym. Both with a charge. again nothing mentioned on their website.
Could not wait to get out of there on Monday morning. Luckily they are in a wonderful city where there is plenty to do and they are in the middle of all the great shops, restaurants etc. and close to everything.

Unique Quality: Absolutely nothing.

nomadig's Profile Photo

Not living up the reputation

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 9, 2005

When I told to people living in the Bay area that I will spend a few night in Hotel Nikko, they all said that it is a really nice hotel. Either they have never been here or there is a difference between their and my standards.

The hotel room is big and the amenities in the bathroom are ok. However, the whole hotel has a bit run-down feeling, there is no bathrobe or slippers, the quilt is too thin to be warm enough, and the furniture is ugly. I could continue the list, but you get the picture.

If you do not mind these things -- and thus feel at home in almost any US hotel -- this is a great choice, as the location is excellent, there is a good gym, indoor pool, sauna, a good restaurant and host of other stuff. The only issue is the steep price.

penpoison's Profile Photo

Good Hotel in San Francisco

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 12, 2004

When I stayed there, I was staying with someone in a business conference. The amenities are nice and quality is good. The furniture tends to be on the austere side (japanese influence). My impression is that it is a good business class hotel.

Unique Quality: Swimming pool, fitness area and business center. Good place to take a laptop and surf the web. Japanese boutique on ground floor.

Hotel is located in the downtown business area. If you venture too far, you will hit Tenderloin. Accessible to public transportation (trolley). Walking distance to Union Square, the Powell Street Muni station and to the start of the trolley. Mostly geared for the business traveler.

Gnar_kill's Profile Photo

Incredible Hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 26, 2003

I've only stayed here once, primarily because it was paid for by my company. Hotel Nikko is crazy expensive, but worth the money. For about $300.00 a night, you can get a junior suite on one of the top three floors of the hotel. This provides spectacular views of the bay and the Financial District. This is al so like a 10 star hotel, so everything in it is VERY NICE.

Directions: Smack in the middle of the Financial District

Jeannette1's Profile Photo

Nikko Hotel

by written on September 2, 2002

Nice contemporary Japanese Hotel, 2 blocks from Union Square. Wonderful Sunday brunch. A little expensive but worth it.

Nearby Hotel Nikko San Francisco

• Free High Speed Internet
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

San Francisco Travel Forum

Need advice about San Francisco, California? Visit the Travel Forum for San Francisco and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest San Francisco hotel reviews