222 Mason Street, San Francisco, California, 94102, United States

Booking.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Costs 22% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• REALLY NOT WORTH IT

Arrived at the hotel with raining pouring down. No one there to help with the cases or to open the door. Went to check in. The room I booked and prepaid for through Priceline. I was told the room was not that desirable and the lady at the desk kept trying to sell me an upgrade. In front of my wife whose birthday we were there for. I had arranged everything and didn't appreciate the lady trying to get more money out of me. After hearing how dreadful our room was going to be I agreed to buy the upgrade.
    We went up to the room carrying our cases. No Bellboy or someone to help.
    Entered the room to find it clean but the furniture looked like it was distressed. All the edges and corners were battered and bruised. Really looked like it was time to replace them.
    Met up with a friend who was also staying in the hotel and told him about the upgrade barrage. He mentioned that he did not agree to the additional upgrade charge. Only to find out he was only 5 rooms down from us on the same floor.
    We had noon reservations for a Sunday brunch in the hotel and we tried to reschedule it for anytime before 11 am. We were told that it could not be accommodated. They could not find a table . When I told them to cancel my noon reservation because I would go else the manager gave us attitude.
    I logged into the internet to see where else we could go and the pc says there is a $10.00 charge to use the internet. On their website it states that one of their amenities is the internet, nothing about with a charge. I have travelled all over the world and have never seen such thing. Then was told would we like to use the pool or the gym. Both with a charge. again nothing mentioned on their website.
    Could not wait to get out of there on Monday morning. Luckily they are in a wonderful city where there is plenty to do and they are in the middle of all the great shops, restaurants etc. and close to everything.

Unique Quality: Absolutely nothing.

• nomadig's Profile Photo

Not living up the reputation

When I told to people living in the Bay area that I will spend a few night in Hotel Nikko, they all said that it is a really nice hotel. Either they have never been here or there is a difference between their and my standards.

The hotel room is big and the amenities in the bathroom are ok. However, the whole hotel has a bit run-down feeling, there is no bathrobe or slippers, the quilt is too thin to be warm enough, and the furniture is ugly. I could continue the list, but you get the picture.

If you do not mind these things -- and thus feel at home in almost any US hotel -- this is a great choice, as the location is excellent, there is a good gym, indoor pool, sauna, a good restaurant and host of other stuff. The only issue is the steep price.

• penpoison's Profile Photo

Good Hotel in San Francisco

When I stayed there, I was staying with someone in a business conference. The amenities are nice and quality is good. The furniture tends to be on the austere side (japanese influence). My impression is that it is a good business class hotel.

Unique Quality: Swimming pool, fitness area and business center. Good place to take a laptop and surf the web. Japanese boutique on ground floor.

Hotel is located in the downtown business area. If you venture too far, you will hit Tenderloin. Accessible to public transportation (trolley). Walking distance to Union Square, the Powell Street Muni station and to the start of the trolley. Mostly geared for the business traveler.

• Gnar_kill's Profile Photo

Incredible Hotel

I've only stayed here once, primarily because it was paid for by my company. Hotel Nikko is crazy expensive, but worth the money. For about $300.00 a night, you can get a junior suite on one of the top three floors of the hotel. This provides spectacular views of the bay and the Financial District. This is al so like a 10 star hotel, so everything in it is VERY NICE.

Directions: Smack in the middle of the Financial District

• Jeannette1's Profile Photo

Nikko Hotel

Nice contemporary Japanese Hotel, 2 blocks from Union Square. Wonderful Sunday brunch. A little expensive but worth it.

More about Hotel Nikko San Francisco

Could be better

by TripAdvisor Member emdoc

Stayed 5 nights in Oct04. I was expecting better for the price I was paying and also since Hotel Nikko is part of the JAL group of hotels. Having lived in Japan for 4 years, I feel somewhat qualified to make some comparisons. The room was not as clean as a hotel of this caliber should be. I found smudges on the window overlooking the city, dirt on the window sill, hair on the bathroom floor, etc. It's as if the room was not inspected to make sure it was clean. It was definitely not on par to a similar quality hotel in Japan or in the US. Yes, the lobby is very nice. Yes, the concierge was very helpful. Yes, the hotel pool and exercise room were nice. But all that is to be expected for a hotel of this quality and for the money I'm paying. Therefore, I rank the hotel above average but with room for improvement.

Wow, excellent service...

We stayed at the Nikko the first week of October and LOVED it.. The staff was the best ever. We were there during the hotel workers strike and it was noisy from across the road at the Hilton. We were upgraded to a Nikko floor room without asking so it would be more quiet. Wow. what a fabulous view and breakfast buffet every morning to boot! (which was AWESOME) The people at the concierge desk,Yuki and David were very helpful with everything. On David's suggestion, we even got to go to Lion King by going down the day of the performance and getting tickets that they hadn't sold as VIP. For $82 we got 11th row center orchestra seats...UNBELIEVABLE... Online those seats were $160. I would highly recommend that show while you are there too. It is playing until mid November, I think. The hotel is SO close to everything..Union Square right down the block. I would definitely stay there again when I go back. What a fabulous vacation.. Loved the bed turn down at night too.. Little chocolates, the lights dimmed and jazz playing on the cd player.. what a nice touch. A quality hotel with great furnishings, fabulous artwork, a cool wall water sculpture in the lobby and most of all, excellent service is the Hotel Nikko..

A slice of heaven in Union Square!

by TripAdvisor Member GothamDiva

I just returned home from a wonderful week-long stay (11/15-11/22) in San Francisco, CA at the Hotel Nikko and I am compelled to write on what a positive experience I had for my first trip to the Bay Area.

From the moment you walk into the lobby, the decor is chic and modern (the zen-like water fountain to the left of the escalators are a nice touch) and you're instantly set at ease. I booked a Floor room through Expedia and the views from the 24th floor were outstanding! Comfortable beds and a spacious bathroom was a plus! Also the complimentary internet access made using my laptop a breeze.

The delicious buffet breakfast at ANZU downstairs has to be mentioned! A full spread of everything you could want is a tasty start to the day! The nightly bedding turndowns with the mini chocolates and jazz wafting through the bedroom on the stereo is pure class.

Location-wise, you're a hop, skip and a jump away from the shopping meccas (Macy's Nordstrom's, Saks, etc.) and Chinatown & Fisherman's Wharf are only a brief cable car stop away. Lots of quality and inexpensive restaurants nearby and the Starbucks right downstairs made my fixes for chai lattes that much easier! :o)

I've never dealt with such a professional, courteous and helpful staff before — and they made my vacation one I'll never forget! I contemplated long and hard before settling on this hotel, but I don't regret my choice for a second. Especially due to the crippling hotel strike over at the Hilton. Kudos to Pom, Meghan, Kyoko, Reginald and the rest of the wonderful workers there. I left my heart in San Fran, but I'll be back sooner than later....and staying NOWHERE ELSE but the Nikko!

Very, very Impressed

by TripAdvisor Member tonymoorey

For the money, the Nikko must be unbeatable.

Comfortable, perfectly located, excellently ran, well designed and furnishined hotel, with great facilities and fantastic staff.

Whenever I return to San Francisco, and I hope it's soon, I would immediately book again at the Nikko, without even looking elsewhere.

Great Place

by TripAdvisor Member Dr.g

I give it a 5/5 for the price. I paid $150/night. This was the first time I stayed in a hotel in SF as I have many friends there. The hotel was very clean.Room was fairly large with a nice marble bathroom and mini bar. Starbucks next to the lobby. Staff was very friendly. Neighborhood borders the Tenderloin(shady) so be aware of which direction you are heading.I wouldnt let this disuade you from staying there as the security is very good. Just a note to the naive who might not realize they are wandering into a bad area. The hotel area and the other 3/4 directions are fine. Lots of good shopping/dining within walking distance. Not far from China town.

On another note, there is currently a generalized strike of hotel workers. About 80 % of hotels I saw had noisy strikers in front from early morning till after dark. For what ever reason, the Nikko did not. This in itself would be reason to stay there. You might want to see if the strike is still on before making a final decision elsewhere.

hotels with swimming pools

by cassiaj

Hi,
I am heading over to San Francisco in late May/early June with some friends for a few nights. We are looking for a hotel to stay in. One of my friends will be quite pregnant by then, so we are ideally looking for a hotel that is centrally located and has a swimming pool. Does anyone have any suggestions as to places to stay?
Thanks very much

RE: hotels with swimming pools

by drummerliz

The Hilton on Portsmouth Square (Kearney Street) has a rooftop swimming pool with fantastic panoramic views. It was featured in Dirty Harry. It's close to North Beach, Chinatown, Union Square. There's also the Phoenix Hotel in the tenderloin, sketchy neighborhood, but hip place to stay. I don't happen to know any indoor pools off hand-hopefully someone else will add...

RE: hotels with swimming pools

by jessicadf

I know that the Holiday Inn on Van Ness Avenue has a rooftop pool. Some of the first on the list:
Cathedral Hill (outdoor pool)
Hotel Nikko (ooooo -- nice -- and the indoor pool photo is gorgeous)
Raddisson Fisherman's Wharf
Hilton San Francisco (outdoor pool)
Best Western Americana ("seasonal" outdoor pool)

Have fun!

RE: RE: hotels with swimming pools

by tmaresh

I stayed at the Hilton near Union Square. My room window overlooked an outdoor courtyard with palm trees. One level below my window was hot tub, and next to the hot tub was a large lap pool. I felt like I was staying at a tropical resort, because of the palm trees, the open sky, and the hot tub, lap pool (and adjoining health club, although you'll want to avoid using the sauna, which I love.) The fact that the courtyard was an inner courtyard meant no city sounds entered.

Someone mentioned the Nikko. I think that it's next door to the Nikko Hotel.

Comments