Hotel Rex San Francisco

562 Sutter St, San Francisco, California, 94102, United States

Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Expedia.com Hotel Rex Travelocity

• San Fran's best price for quality

Front desk people very friendly and very helpful.

Unique Quality: Rooms perfect size for the 3 of us. Coffee in morning and your choice of wine or beer for happy hour. Great location for everything you want to do in SF, including cable car close and Union Sq. right there.

Directions: Union Square district

• sunshine9689's Profile Photo

French boutique

Cozy, very European looking hotel in the downtown area.

By European looking I mean: small rooms, floral desing everywhere, sketches on the hall walls, French music.

There is 1 bar and a restaurant (opened at 7.30am, but not on Sundays).

Price: Payed $150 for our room.

Unique Quality: Taxi to the airport = $45.

Directions: Union Square.

More about Hotel Rex San Francisco

Hotel Rex is perfect!!!

My best friend and I went to San Francisco for my birthday and stayed at the Rex. Everything was absolutely fabulous. The hotel was adorable, great little bar. The staff was phenomenal, they were so helpful to us in every way. They even brought a free bottle of wine to our room. The location is perfect (1 block off Union Square); you can also walk to North Beach, Chinatown and Fishermans Wharf. The breakfast was fabulous as well. I would recommend this boutique hotel to anyone and will definitely be returning.

Birthday at the Rex

I brought my husband to Hotel Rex for his 40th birthday. I looked at the reviews on tripadvisor and this was the best rated hotel and very reasonable. Nicole checked us in and was very friendly. She had a little cheese and fruit plate done up for us to celebrate. It was really thoughtful!! Christopher gave me all the information that I needed over the phone. The transportation to Fishermans wharf was close by and everything else we walked to. It is the place that you want to stay if you are going to San Francisco. We were there from April 1-4th and could have stayed longer.Thank you so much for making our stay such a great one!!

Enjoyed my stay

Everything about my stay was great. The staff was helpful and their knowledge of San Francisco was excellent. I would highly recommend Hotel Rex and will stay there again myself.

Good location and value

My sister and I planned a weekend getaway and had a great time. Hotel Rex is just steps away from the bustle of Union Square yet quiet inside. The neighborhood felt safe to walk around at night which is not the case in all areas around Union Square.

The staff was very helpful with suggestions and even offered us free movie tickets to a film festival. We got upgraded at check in but had to ask for it even though we are Joie De Vivre experience awards members which is supposed to automatically give an upgrade. The room was nicely appointed but that smaller SF experience. The bathroom was ok, nothing great, but the Aveda products were nice. Housekeeping did a great job and didn't bang on the door at 8am like other hotels even though there were not "do not disturb" signs.

Got a great deal on the Joie De Vivre website, much lower priced than any other deals we found online. They guarantee the lowest rate on their website and we found that to be true.

Only cons: slow elevator, shower would stop and go to the tub mode when the neighbor flushed their toilet!

Comfy and bohemian

by TripAdvisor Member miabellina1967

The Rex hotel is exactly as I had anticipated. The lobby is very small and opens up to the wonderful little bar area. Pictures and quotes of the bohemian type adorn the walls. It is reminiscent of a European cafe. The food in the bar was quite good and the wine selection was okay. Service was friendly and homey. The buidling is old SF and a bit on the frayed side but they have fixed it up nice. The rooms are cozy and again, remind you of a small inn. Location is good. Parking is great at the Sutter street gargage- was only $9 overnight. Granted I checked in at 6pm and checked out at 8am. Nice hotel.

A hotel to return to in San Francisco, CA

The location is perfect for the business man or the leisure traveler with walking distance to Union Square or a one block pickup on a historical trolley. The staff will remember you and the rooms make you feel right at home. You will return to this hotel.

A great place for the business traveler. Comfortable, convenient and quiet.

by TripAdvisor Member fishtatoo31

"I love the Rex! I travel to SF often for business and stay there every time. The rooms are so comfortable; just what I need when traveling so far from home. If you can afford it, take a king suite and enjoy the extra room (and the quieter back side of the hotel). Their restaurant, Cafe Andree, is excellent, but I often just eat in the lounge where I am more comfortable. They also have an excellent wine list. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable and will go out of their way to make your stay as comfortable as possible. The one drawback is they don't have a gym on site. But you can purchase a guest pass for a gym which is just a few doors down.

cute hotel, excellent service

The location is terrific- very close to Union Square but a block away keeps it quiet. Very close to good restaurants, top notch galleries, Chinatown, and the trolley to the Fisherman's Wharf. Every employee was friendly, and some went out of their way to help. The room is small without a view, but is beautifully decorated. The bed is wonderful, the bathroom is nice, and there is vallet parking.

Rex Hotel - any good??

by favorito01

Can't decide whether to stay at the Rex Hotel. Have seen good and bad reviews!! Does anyone have any experience of this hotel?

by giampiero6

I've stayed at the Rex hotel. Like many joie de vivre hotels...they are former residential or run down hotels which have received a spruce up - new paint, carpets and some more design-y furnishings. Good locations,reasonable price - but sometimes you see a bit of wear and tear and bathrooms remain old with occasional space issues. Very serviceable, good solid hotels typically - but not fancy or top of the line. It seems there website is currently down, but they have lots of SF choices.

by YVRDave

>>>>Does anyone have any experience of this hotel?<<<<<
Do you mean other than the ones whose reviews you have already read?
I am with G, JdV Hotels are like people, some 30 year olds look 40 and some look 20. Not all rooms will be the same.
I like the St. Francis, Four Seasons, Mandarin, Campton Place and the Fairmont but I get very discounted or free rooms.

by favorito01

Thanks for the info guys. Will check out the hotel nikko.

by acprincess

The Rex is nice, and it's in a great location.

Comments