Hotel Serrano - A Kimpton Hotel

Booking.com Orbitz.com Hotels.com

Costs 25% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Robachu1's Profile Photo

Pet friendly hotel in the Theater Area

We chose this "boutique" hotel because it was so close to the Golden Gate Theater where we had tickets to South Pacific starring Robert Goulet.
    The hotel itself was a very beautiful place with lovely furnishings and an old world feel.
    The wonderful restaurant "Ponsu" is right next door and if you ask you can get a discount coupon from the hotel.

Unique Quality: We loved the hotel's pet dog, a big black Retriever whose name escapes me.

Directions: Theater District near Union Square

More about Hotel Serrano - A Kimpton Hotel

SERRANO HOTEL

by VAL0156 about SERRANO HOTEL

FROM 129.00 TO 399.00 PER NIGH A SMALL HOTEL THAT IS VERY UPSCALE. THE SERVICE IS #1 AND THEY HOST A WINE GATHERING EVERY EVENING.

A very nice hotel at a great price.

I recently stayed at the Serrano hotel for 3 nights and found the hotel to be an attractive choice. The staff is friendly, the rooms are spotless, and the bath amenities are faboo. The rooms were also extremely quiet and the windows totally soundproof. They were a little small which is why im ranking this an above average instead of excellent, but it wasn't that big of a deal. It's probably not a good idea to do more than 2 or 3 people in one room. The hotel is a couple blocks from Union Square and not too far from public transportation. I did end up spending a forture on cabs because the city somewhat hard to navigate. There always seemed to be cabs right outside the hotel door which was convenient. I got a deal for $73 a night with taxes included because I am a travel agent. If you want a plush hotel room in a great city for a great price, the Serrano is it. Make sure to go to Dottie's true blue cafe around the block for breakfast. There usually is a line in the morning but it is totally worth it. I've never had a breakfast so good in my entire life. Ask the front desk how to get there.

Home from home

by TripAdvisor Member BAMaracas

Before arriving I was concerned about the proximity to the Tenderloin.
This really was not a problem as you walk out of the front door of the hotel, across the road and in a couple of blocks you are at Union Square. The hotel had a very warm and friendly feeling and the staff were without exception extremely helpful. Yes the rooms can be small, and was an inital shock, but when you discover the excellent attention to detail, plush furnishings and comfy bed, the room size is no longer an issue. The room was quiet, but my only criticism is that you could not open the windows. Wouldn't hesitiate to stay here again.

Great Hotel, Convienent Location

I took my wife to the Serrano for a surprise three day trip for her birthday. We found the hotel to be a wonderful place to stay. The rooms were tastefully decorated, the beds very comfortable. The rooms were a little small, but we were looking for a quaint hotel and the Serrano fit the bill nicely. The staff was pleasent and very helpful. The location is two blocks off the cable car line, we even took the train to the Powell St. Station from the airport and walked to the hotel. It was a 4-5 block walk. Rental cars are 1/2 block away. We had a great time in San Francisco and our stay at the Serrano enhanced the experience. We will certianly stay there again.

My cat and I love the Serrano

Yes, a nice hotel that not only accepts pets at no extra charge but actually has services to cater to them. I was able to take my diabetic cat with me rather than board him and spare the worry and guilt. They do require you to sign a policy that says that pets are not allowed to be unattended in the room. I imagine this is to prevent barking from lonely dogs, and protection against liability. The nature of my visit forced me to ignore their policy, and I slipped the maid a few bucks to smooth things over and arranged times to service the room since they won't enter with a pet present if you are not there. The housekeeping staff is very nice and accommodating, something I find is rare in US hotels. This is one of the few hotels that I can honestly say there wasn't a thing I could find to complain about, and I'm no pushover. I asked for a quiet room, and they gave me a room (Rm 1217) with no common walls with other guests. Though it was right next to the elevator, I never heard anyone else. They reserve the 12th floor for guests with pets and I think I had the floor largely to myself. The rooms were spotless, tastefully furnished, and bathrobes provided. The onsite restaurant is a wireless hotspot. The hotel hosts a nightly complementary happy hour and the staff urges you throughout the day to attend. Every time I returned to the hotel the door was opened for me with a very hearty "welcome back!" I highly recommend that you book directly on the serranohotel.com site. They have a price match guarantee with benefits. So I booked direct then priced it on Expedia, which was lower of course. I called the hotel, and they matched the price with no problem. I saved $112 this way. Plus the price match guarantee includes a free upgrade and late checkout, and they did upgrade my room upon request for free. The only problem I had the entire stay was upon check out they had slipped in an additional $10 charge for the valet parking ($35 a day) because they said my vehicle was oversized. I drive a midsize, and I argued the point. After a minute or so the bell captain and doorman jumped to my defense and vouched to the clerk that my car was by no stretch of the imagination oversize. The desk clerk rescinded the charge with a very nice apology.
I will most definitely stay at the Serrano whenever I am in San Francisco again.

Mannequins staring at you in bed!!!/Creepy Neighborhood

by TripAdvisor Member josef3

I normally stay at the Palomar but it was booked so I stayed at the Serrano since it falls under the Kimpton Group. The lobby was beautiful, the employees were all very pleasant but my room was "freaking me out". I stayed in the A.C.T. Geary Theater Suite and it was bizarre to say the least. An old lady mannequin in the bedroom, a garish black and white lifesize photo of some creepy looking actress "leaning over" my bed which was set up to look like a stage and get this, movie theater seats at the foot of the bed. Too strange. I will admit when I first saw the bedroom I burst into laughter and wondered if I was on some kind of hidden camera show. On a positive note, the Bathroom had a huge bathtub which great. The living room was the "Green Room". Lots of theater props and "stuff" in the living room.I suppose if I was into the theater or smoked alot of dope I would have appreciated this room; I didn't.The neighbordhood, the Tenderloin is downright creepy. Crackheads, crack ******, homeless galore, garbage on the sidewalk, in the streets.Wouldn't recommend it due to the area for women or the elderly due to safety reasons.

Read This!!!! Great price, location, service, and Clean!!

This is a good hotel at a good price with good service and near convenient stores for travelers. I booked for 3 nights, and ended up staying 1 week (April 11th - 16th). ROOMS: I booked the Luxury Suite for 3 folks (includes a 1-city view window private bedroom, and a separate private living room (that had a queen sofa bed, 3 city-view windows, mini bar, fridge, desk, etc.). Closets are large!! The valet parking is well worth the price (24 hour access to your car and service is quick to the door). LOCATION: The location of the hotel is within walking distance from Union Square, Nob Hill, and we even walked to China Town. Hotel is near Walgreens, Starbucks, Macy's, Boarders, and many sister hotels in the area with plenty of restaurants. Very safe to walk at night (use common sense of course). QUALITY: Is that of your average 4 or 5 star hotel. (Some minor stains on the wall papper, however the bathrooms were exceptionally CLEEEEAAN!! with white terry cloth robes.) All the staff was very friendly and eager to help with anything. DECOR: Plush lobby with plenty of sitting areas decorated in an antique Spanish-Old World motiff. Great place to sit and relax. I would definitely stay here again. This feels like an "Old Hollywood" styled hotel. -Ben

Great Hotel with outstanding value for price

Great hotel for price. Location was convenient and within easy walking distance to Union Square.
Area a little seedy at night. Also liked the proximity to convenience stores and Starbucks. Room was a little small but efficient in its setup. Loved the high speed internet connection which was easy to use and efficient. All services provided were great and rooms were clean and well serviced. Decor was cheery and room was well appointed. Loved the robe. The safe in room was very convenient and its size was perfect for storing even my laptop. Loved the convenience of the honor bar in the room and overall a great experience. Would definitely stay here again and recommend to others.

What's with the bad attitude?

by TripAdvisor Member AllieL

The rooms were great, although our bathroom layout was a little cramped - everything was in fairly good condition - However, the service in this hotel was very disappointing - while the porters & the doormen were great, the front desk definitely had attitude issues & seem extremely unfriendly - we didn't even ask for anything extra or out of the ordinary - just where to go to brunch & how to catch a cab! - housekeeping neglected to refill our bath products even though it was obvious that we needed more! - we've been to other Kimpton Hotels & have receved much better customer service - spend the extra $$$ & stay at Hotel Monaco (right around the corner) or the Triton!

Post street or Union Sq

by Luigi6

Could someone advise me if it is better to stay at the Miyako at Post st or a hotel like Cartwright down at Union Sq. We do not have a car and will be using public transport

RE: Post street or Union Sq

by drummerliz

The miyako on post is a better deal monetarily since it's not downtown. It is easily accessible by public transit. The union square area is however a better location for sightseeing, so it depends on your priorities. I have recently stayed at the miyako and the rooms are fine but not extraordinary. the japanese food in the neighborhood is outstanding.

If I were visiting as a tourist, I'd pay a little more to be downtown and within walking distance to lots of the sights.

RE: RE: Post street or Union Sq

by fisher_price

I second Union Square as being more accessible for attractions, etc.

Not sure if you're comfortable with it, but I have used Priceline in the Union Square zones with good result-- ~$80 / night for 4*, depending on your dates.

Some folks are scared by the Tenderloin, which is a seedy area that abuts Union Square, but I personally have never encountered any difficult-- just the occasional panhandler (and not too aggressive). If you can find a good deal there (like Hotel Serrano or similar), I would go for it.

Good luck!