Hotel Triton - A Kimpton Hotel

See Amenities
Karlie85's Profile Photo

Cool place to stay

by written on July 23, 2010

We just got back from a quick four night stay at the Hotel Triton in San Francisco. It was our first time to the city, so I wasn't sure how the location would be, but it was great. The hotel is right across the street from the Chinatown gate, and within walking distance to all kinds of bus stops.

As soon as I walked into the lobby, I was pretty certain I'd made a good choice. The decorations are bright and fun, but not tacky. The lobby is large and has a nice seating area and TV (which they played the World Cup games on, which was nice). We checked in at about 11pm, and the young man at the front desk was very nice and upbeat. In fact, every time we walked by the front desk, whoever was there would always say hello or welcome back, and seemed quite genuine. We also ordered a cab the night before we checked out, and the young man who did that for us was also very helpful and friendly. Check out was a breeze and only took about 30 seconds.

When I made my reservation, I signed up to be a Kimpton In Touch member (free), which gave us free internet access and a $10 gift card for the mini-bar that came with a note from the manager. Nice touch. We booked directly through the hotel website and got the "Stay 3 and save" deal, which saves you 30% if you stay 3 nights or more. This put us at $135 a night. I thought this was a good deal.

We were in room 721, a Deluxe Room with a queen bed. The mattress was soft, the blanket was dreamy and the pillows were feather (can be foam on request). I almost always have trouble sleeping, even at home, and I slept great in that bed. The room had two closets, a desk, a nice looking flat screen TV, dresser and mini-bar. The bathroom had a shower/tub combo and nice Aveda soaps. Another nice touch is the artwork by local artists in the room.

I really liked the atmosphere and design of this hotel.

I would definitely stay here again. The only real reason I gave a 4 instead of a 5 is that they don't have breakfast. I would have given 4.5 if I could. There is a café next door that we went to twice that you can also order room service from (more expensive than physically going into the restaurant, so we just went in), and there are tons of places in the area. They do offer coffee and juice in the morning, and I grabbed an apple from a bowl of them once or twice for the road. There is also a wine hour daily at 5pm, but we were never around for it.

jag17's Profile Photo

Whimsical, Fun and Unique

by written on August 26, 2006

This is a great little boutique hotel if you are looking for something different during your stay in SF. The rooms are small, but most everything in SF is. The hotel is Eco-friendly, has some fun celebrity inspired suites, is pet friendly and is in a great location. Just 2 blocks from Union Square, and across from the entrance to Chinatown.

Unique Quality: Beer/Wine social each evening in the lobby. A tarot card reader is available (small fee) during this time to answer all those burning questions you may have!

Directions: Entrance to Chinatown

jadedmuse's Profile Photo

Cool, Green and Boutique, all in ONE!

by written on December 12, 2005

I haven't (yet) stayed in this hotel but a friend of mine has and says it's great.

Unique Quality: It's one of San Fran's hip boutique hotels, but more importantly, it's recognized as one of the top ecological, environmentally friendly and proactive hotels in the city - completely "green" friendly!

Directions: Located near Union Square, downtown (Nob Hill area)

calgal228's Profile Photo

Great centrally located hotel

by written on September 2, 2005

This great hotel is at the entrance to Chinatown, Grant/Bush. It is centrally located for tourists. Alot of walking to be done in SF but you can get there from here! Chinatown, the Wharf, Financial District, Union Station, Coit Tower..

The rooms are smallish but we never spent much time in the rooms anyway.

Unique Quality: Eclectic decor and plenty of coffee shops nearby. Wine reception in the evenings and sometimes a palm reader in the lobby. The staff are so helpful and friendly. We have stayed here every time we visit SF.

The hotel is very eco-friendly. All of their complimentary and cleaning products are environmentally safe.

Directions: China Town

pumarega's Profile Photo

This hotel is a bit to loud for me.

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 18, 2005

I've stayed at the Hotel Triton two times, but I don't think I'll stay again.

The Hotel Triton is a small boutique hotel. The interior room design is lively and funky, but the quality of the hotel is cheap and the rooms are too small when compared to the relatively high cost for a room.

Hotel Triton has gotten the repuation of a party hotel, so be prepared; your building mates may be loud, drunk and unruly. If this happens, like it did to us, I would suggest that you try to out drink your neighbors then procede to out loud and out-ruly them, because calling the front desk won't do a bit of good. Noise is a big problem because the walls in the Triton are very thin.

If you are looking for a more intimate / quiet hotel then the Triton will probabally disappoint you, but if you're the party type and have reversed sleeping schedules then this may be your cup of tea..

The Triton has complementary evening wine socials, so don't miss it. Most of the people that were staying in the Triton were pretty cool. They have a DJ in the lounge on the weekends, and a tarrot card reader in the lobby (sometimes). It seemed like a younger crowd from the mid 20's to the low 30's.

This is a picture of us trying to be louder than the other people in the Hotel. It took a lot of alcohol, and a sing along song about the male reproductive organ but I think we ended up in First Place.

Unique Quality: The Hotel Triton lacks great views, but it's location is pretty good. If you exit the building and turn right you're about 10 steps away from the China Town gates.

The hotel staff seem vibrant, friendly and genuinely happy that you are there.

The clientele tends to be in their low 30's or younger.

The walls are very thin and the people tend to get too loud.

Directions: Near Union Square.

nomadig's Profile Photo

Edgy and Jerky

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 13, 2005

Hotel Triton claims to be a groovy hotel, but despite the funky looking tables and cupboard, I did not see much of grooviness in the actual room. The rooms have been renovated a few years ago, and they start to show some aging already. The design elements are just attached on the surface and otherwise the room is very basic US hotel; ugly walls, stained wall-to-wall carpet and inadequately sound-proofed windows.

The staff is very friendly and the service is swift. The location is excellent, just a few blocks from the Union Square and at the other end of the Chinatown. The streets are noisy, especially during weekend nights, so try to get a room on the upper floors.

Mmasarech's Profile Photo

A Great Boutique Hotel

by written on January 24, 2005

I highly recommend the Hotel Triton. $134/night gets you a small room (aren't all hotel rooms small in SF?) with a ton of character. Zebra headboard. Red walls. Neon lights in the elevator. Solicitous staff.

When I asked about local yoga studios, they sent up a "complimentary yoga basket" containing a mat and yoga props (block and strap).

The top floor is their "eco" floor, which I believe has linens that are not bleached, no perfumes, no pets, no chemicals.

Great location, too! Right near Union Square as well as the entrance to Chinatown.

Unique Quality: Great location.
7th floor is the "eco" floor.
Aveda moisturizer.
Bold colors.
Great wine reception every evening in the lobby.

Directions: Union Square

leeludalas's Profile Photo

Funky Boutique Hotel at Gates of Chinatown

by written on January 11, 2004

I've never been disappointed with Hotel Triton. It's funky- the rooms are very comfortable. They offer a complimentary wine/beer reception daily, and even have a tarot reader handy if you are so inclined! The hotel is conveniently located within a stone's throw of Chinatown, and very close to Union Square. I've always had very friendly service here. It's a bit pricey for those on a budget- but some internet research can usually result in a discounted rate.

Unique Quality: Interesting decor, free wine/beer reception, tarot readers. Last I heard they'd loan you a goldfish if you had to leave your pet at home!
The suites are designed by celebrities such as Carlos Santana.

Directions: Located at the gates of Chinatown (literally across the street!)

Hexepatty's Profile Photo

Love it Love it Love it....

by written on July 14, 2003

Boutique Property where the innkeepers know your name... and I guess if you look like the Usual Suspects (I suspect I must have) you could even be offered real personal services by their staff. (You want some X mame???) Wow... what the HELL must I have looked like?!

Come to think of it, I did have a few freaky things happen there... All good.

Unique Quality: They were the host hotel to an annual drag queen event. That was a site to see stumbling into my room one nite quite late. One day i might find the evidence photo of that nite!

I jest about all the weird things, but I REALLY like the Triton. GREAT location, GREAT staff, and very personalble. Lots of Home Comforts.

Directions: At the entrance of Chinatown and near GREAT shopping!

bluewilldo's Profile Photo

Hotel Triton

by written on August 30, 2002

I have yet to decide if this hotel reminds me of Dr. Seuss, Alice in Wonderland, or a doped-up hallucination. This is definitely not your ordinary run-of-the-mill hotel. It's fun and perfect for children or people with pets, but not terribly conducive to business travellers.

Unique Quality: It's merely blocks from Union Square and Chinatown. For the over-active occupant they have a 24-hour gym, so at three in the morning you can lift some weights, if you so desire. If you don't like physical exercise, but adore art... well, they've though of you too. Feel free to wander around their local art gallery or eat a freshly, home baked cookie.
Oh, they claim to have nightly tarot readings. When I was there I saw no sign of them, but it would be very cool if they did that.

Directions: Opposite from the Chinatown Dragon Gate

Mirja's Profile Photo

Triton Hotel (designerhotel)

by written on August 26, 2002

Unique Quality: The Triton is an individually furnished hotel with alot of funny details. The guestrooms are a little small. Do not share one room with four people, if you don't really like your roommates.

Directions: 342 Grant Street, San Francisco, CA 94108. Next to the Dragon Gate that marks the entrance to Chinatown.

BR0WND0G's Profile Photo

The Hotel Triton is a funky...

by written on August 25, 2002

The Hotel Triton is a funky hotel. Stay in a room decorated by Jerry Garcia or Santana. Get celebrity wake up calls. Rent a feather boa. There's a Horoscope hotline in the lobby. It's just as eclectic as San Francisco. (800) 800-1299.

Nearby Hotel Triton - A Kimpton Hotel

• Fitness Center
  • Business Services
  • Pets Allowed

San Francisco Travel Forum

Need advice about San Francisco, California? Visit the Travel Forum for San Francisco and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest San Francisco hotel reviews