114 Powell Street, San Francisco, California, 94102, United States

Travelocity Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 56% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• MJL's Profile Photo

A place with a lot of chracter

A good hotel with friendly personel. Very good location near market street (cable car, street car, BART, Muni metro).

• Coolest in the square!

Well, the Hotel Union Square was a truly unique experience. The front desk was
    polite and greeted my boyfriend and I every time we passed by. It was clean
    and well kept. The deco of the hotel is contemporary but it has a cool vintage
    feel to it. It's centered around everything and everything is centered around it!
    We walked everywhere and nothing was to far away from the Hotel.

Unique Quality: However, we had a room facing Powell Street, the cable cars pass by there constantly, you
    don't notice them when you're awake but you sure do notice them in the middle
    of the night, as well as, early in the morning. It can get tiring when you're trying
    to sleep, but hey, if you're going to go to a totally different city, you should
    experience everything about it! Although, next time we go we'll probably end up
    getting a courtyard room. The experience was great and I would stay there again,
    and again and again.

Directions: Right in the middle of Union Square

• Beware - hotel double charges!

My one night stay was very good, with a nice room and central location. However, a couple of weeks after returning, I noticed that the hotel has charged me twice for this room. Even though both charges show up, the hotel refuses to give a refund!! So beware if you use this hotel - even if you check your bank statements very well, you still might end up paying twice the price your thought you were going to!!

Unique Quality: Great view over powell st. cable car.

• Hotel Union Square - Definitely a fantastic Hotel!

We stayed in Hotel Union Square for 2 weeks last year, it was not cheap, but it was a great stay! The Stuff was totaly friendly, helpful, and we are in contact with some of them until today... I would recommend this Hotel Union Square to anybody at any time!

Directions: 2 Blocks from Union Square, 2 Blocks from Cable Car Turntable at Market Street...

• jrjohnson's Profile Photo

Good Price... Great Location

As the name implies, this hotel is very near Union Square. Actually it sits almost right in front of where the cable car ends at Market Street.

It's a nice place with very spacious rooms... at least the one we stayed in. I have a feeling that since this hotel is in an older building, the rooms may not all be the same, so I can't say with too much certainty that you will also get a large room, but ours was great. They called it a junior suite but only charged us $135 a night during the week. Seemed very reasonable. We were in room number 205. It had two queen beds and a sofa that pulled out into another bed. Additionally, they even had a full time concierge which I wasn't expecting.

Directions: Corner of Ellis and Powell... very close to Market.

More about Hotel Union Square

Union Square Hotel, Great San Francisco Location

by zeusapollo about Parc 55 Hotel

I was in San Francisco for a few days visiting family and friends before a business trip to Las Vegas. I found the Park 55 Hotel on the internet from Germany, where I live. I wanted something near Union Square, but I did not want to pay $400 per night. This hotel was the second best deal in the area. The best deal was right next to the Cable Car turnaround and that would be way to noisy for me.

This hotel is right next to the Powel Street Bart Station. Across the street is a shopping mall that includes Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's. Just two blocks away is Union Square with all the shopping, two more blocks takes you to the entrance of China Town. It was just an ideal location.

My room was very well appointed. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was dated, but clean and all the plumbing worked well. The hotel is very large and it is used by many airlines for their crews. I saw them in the lobby every morning. There is a Starbucks two blocks away where I went for a wireless connection. A good stay. Location, location, location. For the location, you cannot beat the price.

Disappointed

I was extremely disappointed with my recent stay at the Hotel Union Square. The only reason why I booked my stay there on Saturday, June 11th, was for the Girls Night Out Package as advertised on the Personality Hotels website. I called the 1-800 number for San Francisco reservations, booked a Suite at the Hotel Union Square with the Girls Night out package in March 2005. I had rechecked my reservations at the beginning of June and was told everything was okay and all I had to do was go to the hotel for check-in at 2 pm.

I was impressed with the lobby area and was quite excited to see what our room/suite would look like with our Girls Night out package. All was going okay, even though I had to wait a bit to check-in (which was fine with me as I was excited for our room) and once I had the keys, a couple of us went upstairs to drop off our bags and relax. I was disappointed when I didn't see any of the items I was expecting, though I assumed they would arrive later in the day as it was about 2:45 pm. Unfortunately, the items never came, I was told no where on my reservation that I had this package. I was then told that if I had some document that listed the Package the front desk could help me - though I later found out that one of the other girls had inquired if we could just 'buy' the rest of the package and the front desk said no, it had to be ordered in advance.

I don't understand why the front desk would tell me to produce the documentation of the package ordered, and then, not even have the appropriate package items to provide to me? I have not dealt with a more non-customer service oriented front desk area in my travels as I did at Hotel Union Square on the afternoon of June 11th. I do not stay in San Francisco hotels as I live in this city, but I thought it would be nice to do so for my friend's bachelorette party, but the Hotel but a damper on our day as I had to take time out and go to my house and look for paperwork. The Hotel Union Square staff in no way attempted to accommodate my inquiry in the least bit - I was really quite surprised and as I have said, disappointed.

Good Pub

by dankata

Hello,
I need some help. I've been talking with a friend about going out and it came out that what we need is "Big wooden sturdy tables where you won't spill your drink by
tapping
the table with your foot." Something you can usually find in Europe.
If you know such place in the City, or the north peninsula, please give sudgestions.
Thanks,
Daniel

Re: Good Pub

by YVRDave

I only know Deweys in the St. Francis Hotel (Not cheap) and Lefty O'Douls across the street on Geary.

by dankata

Geary at??

by YVRDave

Powell, across from the Carriage entrance from the St Francis Hotel.
Union Square and the cable cars are right there. Stumbling distance.
I am sure a local can recommend better ones. These seemed to be suit locals.

by madamx

We went to Magnolia Pub & Brewery 1398 Haight (at Masonic); really nice place with excellent food (if you are in to eating at all :o) )

by fossettes

Whenever I go to SF I go to the San Francisco Brewing Company. It's a brewpub, as the name suggests, and is in a pub from the early 1900's. The beers are very good and the atmosphere is local. I can't comment on the tables, because I realize that every time I have visited, I have sat at the bar. Being ex-bartenders ourselves, we like to talk with the keeps!

It is located at 155 Columbus Avenue. Cheers!

Comments