Hotel Vitale-Embarcadero

Hotel Vitale Orbitz.com Booking.com

Costs 106% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• madamx's Profile Photo

Hotel Vitale

The Hotel Vitale is located near the waterfront, right across the street from the Ferry Building. We had a short, but comfortable stay on a layover from Mexico heading home.The staff are extremely professional, pleasant and polite. The night concierge was especially helpful in arranging our shuttle back to the airport early the following morning.

Unique Quality: The room was exactly what was depicted on their website, but there were .... um ..... slight issues with the bathroom. The door is a sliding door. It rests on top of the bathroom entrance, leaving a space of about 3/4 " not sealing the area like conventional door. Therefore, let's just say you better be very open to listening to bodily functions of your roomie. I was travelling with my husband, and there's just some things that should remain private between man and wife. Also, the bathroom has a huge walk-in shower with a clever hole cut out in the glass wall so you can reach in and adjust the temperature. However, if you are about 5'2" like me, your arm probably is not long enough and my husband had to run the shower hot for me before I got in. Not so clever after all.

There is odd use of space in the room -- an extra blanket and pillows are placed in a neat canvas bag in a corner, when there is a huge shelf in the closet, unused. Also, the hair dryer is tied in a little canvas bag hanging on a hook. Sort of tricky to get open when you are dripping wet and straight out of the shower. However, the Fresh lemon scented bath amenities are a nice change from the usual stuff, and of course I packed them away to take home to enjoy.

The room service food was superb, try the homemade chocolate chip cookies and organic milk or the brownie for dessert. Even on our late arrival that evening, it arrived within 20 minutes, fresh and very tasty.

Because of the bathroom issue, I would probably not return to the hotel, but the hotel is very nice and again, the staff couldn't do enough for us. We would return probably to the restaurant, where I hear the critics rate the food quite highly, and rightly so.

Directions: Right across the street from the Ferry Terminal Building

More about Hotel Vitale-Embarcadero

Wonderful Hotel Vitale

We had an opporunity to stay at The Vitale in San Francisco CA. The location was fantastic; across from the Embarcadero and the wonderful Ferry Building shops. The rooms were done in a very tasteful modern décor. My husband loved the latest flat screen TV in our room. The beds were not the run of the mill “hotel” bed, but the kind you want to take home. I especially appreciated the quietness of the room. The Vitale has a rooftop patio that overlooks the bay where we enjoyed a cup of morning coffee. Don’t miss enjoying a wonderful meal at the Americana Restaurant located in the hotel.

Beautiful Hotel

We stayed at the Hotel Vitale the weekend it opened. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was just wonderful: mood lighting, jazz CDs, flat screen TV, spa bathroom, and an incredible view of the Ferry Building, Bay Bridge, and sailboats on the Bay.
Dinner at the Americano was great, along with the service. Had an incredible spa treatment. The roof top patio is a very nice place to enjoy a coffee and the view. Would recommend Hotel Vitale for anyone who would like to enjoy a wonderful San Francisco experience!

Great hotel... great location!

We recently stayed at Hotel Vitale and found it to be a very nice hotel. The location is perfect with some lovely restaurants and bars very nearby as well as the farmers market across the road selling some amazing organic produce! The room was extremely comfortable with some nice touches altough I was woken 2 nights running with noise from the road. Some slight improvements could be made to turn this into an amazing hotel but we will be back!

A gem on the Embarcadero

by TripAdvisor Member jmyersManchester_CA

We just finished a two-night getaway at the Hotel Vitale, and it was one of the most enjoyable times we have had.
We have stayed at Joie de vivre hotels before, and like our experiences before, the staff at these hotels are friendly, courteous, and helpful. (Where they find these folks, I don't know.)
The interior is sleek, modern, clean and stark. If you are expecting something traditional in decor, Hotel Vitale may be a little off-putting, but we found it refreshing.
The room was immaculate, the bed comfortable, the down pillows enticing. What was especially nice was the simple climate controls that responded quickly and quietly to our requested room environment.
Geographically, Hotel Vitale has a great location. Right across the street from the Ferry Building, a block away from the Embarcadero Center
and Market Street, and a world class view of the Bay Bridge. Close enough for me to go on a morning ramble up the Filbert Steps and Coit Tower. A quick plug for an exceptional restaurant only a block away, the Cosmopolitan Cafe. Outstanding food and service that is prescient.
The highlight had to be on Saturday morning when we went to the farmers market at the Ferry Building. A beautiful sunshiny S.F. morning, a complete overload on your visual and olafactory senses, a guitarist and fiddler sitting right next to us playing away while Cindi had world class crepes and i had bacon and eggs on a baguette.
On the fifth floor of the hotel is a terrace with huge, comfortable chairs and a view of the bridge, Yerba Buena island and the bay. It is wheelchair accessible and after dinner. we went up with a split of champagne and watched all the activity up and down the Embarcadero, on the bay, and the bridge lit up like a fairy tale structure.
Two things i found annoying in this wonderful stay. There are no waste baskets on the terrace, so you have to cart any trash back to your room. The second problem is the hotel offers no complmentary coffee in the morning, unless you wanted to call room service at ruinous prices. So every morning I would trot across the street to Peet's (open 5:30 weekdays) to get our coffee. This is not a good thing!
All in all, grest time--great stay.
Jim Myers

Amazing views, wonderful hospitality, so relaxing!

We had the privilege of staying at the hotel during the first week of its opening and you'd never know they were all just getting started. Very professional and courteous staff (so friendly!) and the hotel has a great "vibe" to it. Loved being down by the Ferry Building and amazing views of the Bay Bridge. Took advantage of the wonderful spa service before having drinks down in the very comfy bar. The breakfast at Americano the next day made us wish we'd stayed there for dinner instead of wandering across the street to Metro (which was, of course, very good). The rooms were well appointed and had all the nice little touches I've come to love about Joie de Vivre hotels. A shiny new star in their roster!

We thought the property was hip, yet elegant

The room ( bedding, bath and view were excellent). The food in the Americano restaurant was wonderful. The ability to walk to the Ferry Plaza was fantastic.
We loved the property, and would highly recommend it

Wonderful stay at the Vitale

by TripAdvisor Member thingummyjig

Gorgeous rooms, wonderful views of the Bay Bridge and beyond. Subtle, tasteful decor and limestone bathrooms with super toileteries. Excellent service, especially from patient and helpful Edward Kitone.
Hotel location a 15 minute walk from Union Square.
Dinner at the hotel's Americano restaurant recommended. Also delicious strawberries at breakfast. Can additionally recommend dining at the Slanted Door in the Embecardero Centre.

The hot new SF Hotel

Just stayed there for 1 night. Perfect location, great beds. Very very pleasant. The warmth of the hotel, really shines at night. The location makes you get out and explore and exercise. Trully there is a new Gem in Town!

I had a massage to top it all off --- Can't wait to go back!

Please help me choose hotels ...

by madamx

Help me choose between these two hotels; which do you think is a better choice?

Hotel Vitale - near the Ferry Building on Mission and Embarcadaro

Monaco Hotel - Union Square

I love what both hotels have to offer and I'm asking VT'ers who are familiar with these hotels to help me pick! Thanks :o)

RE: Please help me choose hotels ...

by TravelSimone

I haven't stayed at either hotel, but I live in SF. The Hotel Monaco will have more going on outside at any given moment. Mission and Embarcadero is really closer to the Financial district and the area can be quite dead at night and on the weekends. Of course, the Ferry Building has the Saturday morning farmers' market, and is quite lovely, but all the shops inside close at 7:00PM. Both hotels being equal to you, I would make my decision based upon location.

Lastly, the Hotel Monaco seems to be more well known and popular. But I can't speak to either hotel's interiors or service.

RE: Please help me choose hotels ...

by yvr

If you are thinking of the Hotel Monaco, be sure and get a room away from Powell Street. The clanging of the cable cars will be heard late into the night. In fact I stayed at a hotel a half block from Powell and could still here the cable car bell at night, very annoying especially if your a light sleeper. Yes, the embarcadero is quiter, as far as getting to the night life etc. a taxi can have you there in 10 min. or less, public transit is excellent will take a little longer, but then your on holiday, what's the hurry? I would choose the Hotel Vitale. If your looking for reviews of the hotels try, www.tripadvisor.com insert in destination San Francisco, then scroll down to where it says read 100's of reviews.

yvr

by madamx

Hi, thanks for your replies; yvr, I have already been on tripadvisor (one of my favorite websites) However, the replies area too positive for both hotels and it's hard to make a choice!!! I am a light sleeper, so thanks for the tip :o)

by CALSF

I haven't stayed at either hotel. But yvr mentions the clanging cable car bells. That's really something to consider as they are very loud and irritating.

by madamx

Thanks, CALSF, that is a big thing to consider. Anyhow, I don't have to worry about choosing hotels anymore as my hubby's work put us in the Four Seasons for our stay :o)

by CALSF

Aargh, you make me jealous, madamx... :)

Comments