Inn San Francisco

The Inn San Francisco
Priceline.com Tingo.com Travelocity

• kidkilowatt's Profile Photo

A Great Night's Sleep

You know it's a great hotel when you don't want to leave because the bed is so much more comfortable than your own. Well, The Inn San Francisco is a great place with a comfortable bed and good prices to boot. If you are into bed and breakfasts, this is a nice place to check out. The prices definitely range from the bigger rooms to the smaller rooms, but if you decide what you want, you are sure to get what you want. The innkeeper was very kind and showed us a number of different rooms before we chose a smaller room, figuring we would mostly be out and about, but it would still be nice to come home and sleep in a comfy bed- a featherbed at that! I didn't think the breakfast was anything incredible, but it was done nicely and was still a good way to start the day- it was basically an assortment of cereals, cold cuts, fruit, bread and muffins. Though we did not take advantage of it, there is a beautiful hot tub in the backyard in a beautiful little garden nook.

Unique Quality: If you retire early from a night of sightseeing but still aren't quite ready for sleep- have a glass of complimentary brandy and go up to the roof which provides a 360 degree view of San Francisco. The Inn San Francisco has extremely comfortable featherbeds and nice, clean rooms. Every room is different and has it's own wonderful character. The inn is decorated with antiques. It was a great place to spend a few days in comfort without having to commit to all out luxury. Although, if you do want luxury, they have huge luxurious rooms too.

Directions: The Mission

More about Inn San Francisco

Our favorite in San Francisco!

by TripAdvisor Member re-tire-biker

During Columbus Day weekend, our extended family booked four rooms at the Inn San Francisco. It's a magical place: two Victorian mansions connected by a marvelous garden area (complete with hot tub); the rooms are well appointed and attractively decorated. Located on South Van Ness, it's in an interesting and diverse neighborhood with easy access to nearly any part of the City. Breakfasts are sumptuous and totally delicious. And the room rates are excellent, with choices of private or shared bath. We enjoyed the staff, and even the Welch Corgi, Marshmallow! Thanks for our fun time.

Awesome value without compromise

by TripAdvisor Member ojibberish

The Inn San Francisco was delightful and inexpensive. The staff was friendly and helpful and waited for our late checkin. The breakfast buffet was great, and with a hot tub, rooftop patio with a view there's not much to complain about. While a walk to downtown would not be advised due to the sketchy neighborhoods on either side of the inn, the area immediately around the inn was safe. Parking was cheap ($15 a day), and available in a locked garage across the street. We got this for half the price of the hotels we were considering, and as frequent SF visitors we won't stay anywhere else again. Take transit if you plan to head downtown or to tourist attractions, and you'll be happy with the Inn San Francisco. It's location is rich with local culture, the price is unbeatable and the rooms are roomy and comfortable. They were also very family accommodating and kicked back and understanding. The incredible value and comfort of our stay was a frequent topic of conversation on our trip. Highly recommended.

Loved this calm beautiful place in a great part of SF. Amazing brekkie

by TripAdvisor Member joellybaby

We stayed here for 4 nights on our honeymoon and it was a brilliant place. Here's my journal entry describing it:

From San Francisco airport we took the BART straight to 24th Street Mission, heart of the Spanish/Latino community of the city and home of many nice looking tacquerias. I was struck by just how different in character the streets are from those in London cities. Wide roads laid out in a grid, lots of telephone wires, huge cars, a confusing etiquette about when it’s allowed to cross the road. We walked a few blocks down to South Van Ness Avenue, where we found our lodgings, the Inn San Francisco.

This is a massive, ornately carved and painted Victorian house on a part of the street that escaped the big fire caused by the earthquake of 1906 and like most SF houses of this type has a large flight of steps up to the front door. We climbed wearily up and found ourselves in a large hallway of a house filled with antiques and peace and quiet. It felt a huge step away from the noisy street outside.

We were greeted enthusiastically by Marty, and by Marshmallow, a cheerful and chubby corgi who had just struggled up the flight of steps after her evening ‘constitutional’ as Marty informed us. Marty informed us of a lot. He took us on a tour of the house, pointing out a photo of the street in 1905, the elegant drawing room where breakfast (awesome! eggs, ham, quiche, muffins, fresh juice, great coffee...) would be laid out ‘by magic pixies’ from 7am, the beautiful peaceful garden which was clearly a pride and joy and the hot tub which we were permitted to use whenever we wanted as long as we didn’t indulge in any loud talking or giggling after 10pm. He shared with us his special ‘toast to newlyweds’. He pointed out the spiral staircase up to the roof terrace where he assured us the view was not merely good but wonderful (and it is – a full 360 view of the whole downtown). He gave us a very detailed carefully drawn out map of the neighbourhood and instructed us of a whole lot of cute places to eat, as well as the streets to avoid. He also informed us he was upgrading our ‘cozy’ room we had booked (the cheapest in the place) to one with a private en suite, for the same price. Bless him! You don’t get service like Marty in England that’s for sure.

So by now our bodies were starting to protest that we had been up for almost 24hours and we weren’t sure whether the need for sleep or food was more pressing. We dragged ourselves out from our charming little room at the top of the house, away from the antiques and the super soft bed and set out to discover a Saturday night in the Mission, where we were spoilt for choice for dinner - hipster bars, local Mexican eateries, cheap sushi, chic vegetarian restaurants. I could have eaten out well in this area at a different place every day for a month.

Finally -- managers who remember that hospitality is an art form!

by TripAdvisor Member IlanaG

I stumbled across the San Francisco Inn while hunting around online to find a place for my parents to stay while visiting from back east. Because, for the most part, they'd be out with me all day and evening and only sleeping there, I was mostly looking for a place that was close to my apartment in the Mission and clean enough to not have them complain to me about it.

The San Francisco Inn FAR exceeded my initial expectations. In a world of chain hotels with terrible customer service, Marty and his team went far over and far above the call of duty to make my parents feel welcome and cared for (and let's just say that they're not the easiest people in the world -- think George Costanza's parents). Not only was their room upgraded free of charge to a large suite with a fridge and whirlpool tub, but my boyfriend and I were invited to partake in the delicious breakfast/brunch that is complimentary for guests. We didn't make much use of it, but there is also a roof top deck (full 360 view of the city) and a beautifully landscaped back garden complete with hot tub.

All these wonderful things said, if you're expecting the perfection of a chain hotel, this isn't the place for you. It's got history and with that comes a creaky stair or two -- but if you see it as I did -- as charm and personality -- you will not be disappointed. And as I already said, accommodations aside the management and staff at this lovely place are from an era where hospitality was an art form!

The Staris were well worth it!

by TripAdvisor Member HealerChika

We loved this place! BUT, next time we stay there we will ask a room on a lower floore. My partner and I had to climb up two flights u stars (after climbing up stairs just to get into the hotel) with 2 Large suite cases. backpacs, one carry on, and my laptop! AHHH! But, breakfast was nice. The food was great. The young woman who wokred there were very friendly. There is a little Mexican Rest. just down the street from the Inn and the food was perfect! Just like my mom would have cooked it! We had a room with a hottub in it, very nice. The TV's are WAY SMALL. So, we used my laptop. They have parking, and we used it, for a small fee. The only thing that was odd is that we had already asked for the parking and had paid ... and the hotel called my cell phone to see if someone else could use it if I wasn't going to. HUH? Anway, nice place, nice service, ok parking prices, good location, gay friendly, all and all, a good stay!

Amazing and wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member ninko999

This is the nicest hotel of any sort I've ever stayed at. I loved it and found an excuse to stay extra nights. It set a high standard, and now any other place seems disappointing!

Clean, beautifully furnished and decorated. Special touches in every room, from fresh flowers to chocolate truffles. Cozy room, comfortable bed. Good breakfasts, biscuits and sherry, plenty of reading materials to borrow, great communal sitting spaces. The garden outside with hot tub is lovely, the rooftop space a bonus. Winter discount price was very reasonable.

The only comments I have: the stairs would be difficult for those with limited mobility or large suitcases. The room I had would be very intimate for 2 people, but was perfect for 1. Although the mgmt are great about noise control on the property itself, the neighbors next door like to stand out on their deck and talk on their cell phones, right outside your window.

As a woman traveling alone, without a car, I had no problems at all in this neighborhood. I went out to dinner and shopping in the evenings, went in and out during the day, and was never hassled. Could have been easier because of the winter and the rain, but really I never felt unsafe. Recommend BART to 24th and Mission instead of 16th (a little safer).

Very convenient for visitors to San Francisco General Hospital. Shopping on Valencia highly recommended; tons of places to eat nearby.

Very charming-great value-but some problems

by TripAdvisor Member john-q-traveller

This hotel is a great find and a very good value for San Francisco. You can read the other reviews, with which I concur, to read all the wonderful things about it, such as a beautiful, charming Victorian decor, a sumptuous breakfast, plenty of communal reading material, and a delightful little garden out back. It's also very close to the BART into the downtown part of San Francisco.
The things I didn't like were the size of the room, which was fine for one person, but it would have been tight for two.
Also the hot tub in the garden is an old-fashioned one with no jets, and a wooden tub. There was algae on the seats due to the standing water and the wooden construction of the tub.
Finally, the neighborhood was a bit dicey for a woman travelling alone. I felt perfectly safe during the day, but at night my local friends who worked nearby said it wasn't a good idea to go walking alone. I did anyway and I have to say the neighborhood gets quiet at night, except for characters lurking in doorways, and homeless people.

Great place!

by TripAdvisor Member OrenRose

We took a chance on this Inn after seeing the website and talking to the owner. We are so glad we did!

The Inn is in a mostly Latino working class neighborhood (with a smattering of artistic types) in the Mission district. At first we were a little surprised, but as we stayed there for three nights, we discovered we really liked the area. We felt like we were seeing a genuine slice of San Francisco life. It did not feel dangerous at all. We loved walking to and from the subway (a 10 minute walk, and 5 minute ride to downtown) and seeing the street life and the various stores and bars and restaurants....some excellent ethnic ones by the way. It was real local color if you like that kind of thing (we did!)

There is nothing working class about the Inn! We were stunned to walk in the front door and see the Victorian elegance, as if we had passed through a portal to a different era and neighborhood.. High celings, ornate woodwork. Two parlors, one with an excellent piano, A garden out back with lots of flowers, brick paths...and a hot tub! Another jewel was the rooftop deck, where we usually ate our breakfast and enjoyed an incredible view of the city. (Accesible by a very narrow steep spiral staircase)

The breakfasts were wonderful...quiche, bread, muffines, cold cuts, cheese, yogurt, cereal, fruit, fresh-squeezed orange juice, and the staff let us take some for a picnic lunch. The staff was incredibly obliging, friendly, and helpful, giving us advice on transportation, recommending restaurants, and in general being as gracious as anyone could be.

The rooms were great, with a feather-stuffed covering on the mattress which gave you the impression you were sleeping on a featherbed. The only negative at all was our room on the street, where we were awakened by street noise at times. In fairness, the staff told us of this drawback, and gave us a good price because of it. We didn't mind it that much.

I would highly recommend the Inn for anyone wanting a good place to stay.

Excellent B&B

by TripAdvisor Member ContractOp

First, I should say that I'm not a big B&B fan--this was booked out of necessity due to a business trip to SF and a complete lack of hotel rooms due to a convention at the Moscone Center. However, The Inn SF totally surpassed all my expectations. It is a beautiful property with an attentive staff (one of the innkeepers personally intervened to rectify a situation that occurred while I was there--thanks again, Marty!) and the food and drink offerings are great. Prospective guests should know that the Mission neighborhood is a bit "gritty", but that it has a lot of culture and fantastic restaurants. I don't think I'd recommend this place for first-time SF visitors as it's far away from all the "touristy" stuff that a lot of people like, however, if you know the city at least a little bit and are looking for something different, Inn SF is a fantastic choice. Reasonable prices, excellent staff, lots of character, great buffet-style breakfasts...really, I don't think you can do better in SF!

by runflash

Hello,

I will live in Marriott Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront(Address: 1350 Veterans Blvd, South San Francisco) for two month.
I need to go to the downtown of San Francisco every working day.
What is the best way to go downtown? by BART? Or is there any bus service to downtown San Francisco?

Many Thanks.

Re: How can I go downtown from Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront

by MyHollyDay

You can catch the BART from sf airport. It will take you to downtown san francisco. Not too long of a ride...around 25 minutes. http://www.bart.gov/stations/map/systemmap.asp

by runflash

Thanks MyHollyDay,

I find that it is a little bit expensive. Is there any other way?
Thanks...

by sean420

Walking is cheaper but will take a long time.

You could take a SamTrans bus back to the airport for $1.50 and then another for into the city for $4

by acprincess

There is a SamTrans bus, the 292, that runs up Bayshore. It costs $1.50 each way. I live nearby and really, this is the only feasible way to get to SF on public transportation. Your only other option would be to walk to the South SF train station, but the trains stop there infrequently. The bus is better. http://www.samtrans.org/pdf/Schedules/Route_292_12-24-06.pdf

Might I suggest that you stay somewhere else? That's a dismal place if you don't have a car. There's almost nothing within walking distance unless you like long hikes.

Comments