Inn at Union Square

Costs 116% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Inn at Union Square

Brilliant Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member scootar

I stayed at the Inn for a few days in May and I thought it was brilliant. It has the perfect location, lovely rooms (I know some people think they are small, but by British standards they are big!), and it is amazingly good value. The standout factor for me were the staff: I had a problem with my credit card and they went out of their way to help me. Moreover, they were always extremely friendly and helpful. I could not recommend it enough. When you get service like this, it just highlights how bad the service is at some chain hotels.

Perfect!

by TripAdvisor Member morrinme

We stayed at The Inn at Union Square just this past week (August, 2005) and we can't say enough good things about it! We stayed in room 301, which is one of the "Petite Suites" and includes a living room, bath and separate bedroom. My children slept on the sofa bed and were quite comfortable.

The living room has a large window overlooking Post Street. Position one of the comfy chairs slightly to the side and you can see Union Square and watch the bustling street below. When we were there we could hear the live musical entertainment from the Square in the afternoons and evenings.

Each morning there is a continental breakfast which I would consider to be average. It includes juices, danish, cereal, yogurt, granola, and very strong coffee! Around 5:30 every afternoon complimentary wine and hors d'oeuvres were laid out for guests (cheeses, chocolate, crackers, cranberries, and dried fruit each day that we were there). We were always starving after a day in the city and this was the perfect thing to return to. Later in the evening there are cookies, as well.

I can't compliment the staff enough. They greeted us at the door and were always available to help with anything we needed, although they were never at all intrusive.

The inn really IS just steps from Union Square, and is also very close to the trolley turnaround, the 1/2 price tickets kiosk, the Muni (buses) and LOTS of restaurants in just about any price range. (Our entire family ate lunch in nearby Chinatown for less than $8 one day!)

Other pluses: Aveda products, complimentary umbrellas and robes in the rooms, and great water pressure in the shower! What's not to love about this wonderful inn?

Mixed feelings

We stayed here for our one year anniversary. Like most of the other reviews, we enjoyed the complimentary shoe shine, breakfast, wine and appetizers, etc. For the price, the location couldn't be better.

What we did not like was the bed in our room (303). The comforter was faded and dingy, and the bed was made up of many layers of flat sheets that became a tangle of messy linens when you got into bed. The comforter fell off the bed on one side and the sheets fell off on another. I woke up at 4 AM to redo the bed so could not feel rested.

Incredible service and comfort; great location

by TripAdvisor Member JayhawkDave

Stayed at the Inn at Union Square for two nights at the end of August for business. Room was in the back of the hotel w/o much view but was very comfortable and spacious (surprisingly). Enjoyed the happy hour wine, cheese and crackers, fruit, and chocolates next to the crackling fire. The hotel is in a fantastic location just 30m from Union Square and adjacent to tons of shopping, restaurants and entertainment.

Decided to save the company a few bucks and self-park for $23/night rather than the $30 or $35 it would have been for valet. It was about a block and a half away, but not bad.

The service was outstanding. Maids in the hall greeted me by name. The man setting up the happy hour couldn't have been nicer and the front desk staff was consistently helpful and friendly. I'd definitely recommend this hotel to anyone in San Francisco for business OR pleasure! I'll be back!

Great find!

This was a great alternative to all the other big name hotels in the Square district. It's tiny (but quaint) lobby is a bit disconcerting at first.... but our room (an exectutive King w/ fireplace) was quiet large and comfortable. I can't comment on the standard room. But for the rate we paid (129$pn) Go for the biggest room you can get. You'll be paying 250+ to stay at the Westin across the street. I was really pleased w/ the little extras. They had a very nice continental breakfast and evening wine & snacks in the common areas of each floor everyday. The fireplace was usually burning which was nice since San Fran can be a bit chilly. The location was perfect. Had no problem walking around the city, catching a cab or taking a trolly. Would definitely stay there again.

A gem of a hotel in SF

This is truly a terrific little boutique hotel in a wonderful location. The staff is unbelievably attentive. The breakfast and evening goodies were delicious. One of the most memorable features was the thermos of hot apple cider that was available in the lobby every day. What a perfect way to warm up after spending the day in the chilly air in the city! I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone, including those with families. Our 7 year old really enjoyed staying in such a small hotel and particularly loved having her own room in the living room area of our suite at nite. I read about this hotel almost 20 years ago in an in flight magazine that featured smaller hotels in SF that the networks were using during the political convention that year. I now understand why the networks so highly recommended this hotel.

Great location and value

by TripAdvisor Member april7777

Just stayed at the Inn at U.S. Oct 10th thru 13th. The hotel was clean, nice, and in a great location, just steps from Union Square. The continental breakfast was nice, as was the evening snacks. The room was clean, and a good size. The only thing is that the bathroom could use a little updating. the shower has great water-pressure, though...a plus! Parking is a nightmare in San Francisco, and we were charged $35 a night for parking!!! Other than that, it was a great hotel and we will stay there again in the future.

A great place to stay in S.F.

by TripAdvisor Member M&MRochesterHills

There is not much to add to the previous glowing and detailed reviews. The service is friendly yet professional. Our room was immaculate and nicely decorated. The breakfasts and evening wine tastings (including cheeses, crackers, almonds, dried fruit and chocolate) as well as the hot cider and cookies were greatly appreciated. And the location was perfect. I have mixed emotions writing this review because I'd like to keep it my little secret but I think the word is out.

Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member FrTeacher

My husband and I spent a few days here in the summer celebrating our anniversary. We had read great reviews of the hotel but were very disappointed with our stay. The hotel couldn't find our reservations upon arrival, despite our copy of our Internet confirmation, so we had to keep checking back with the front desk to see if we were going to be sent to a sister hotel or could stay there. (It turns out we would have been better off had we been sent to another hotel.) We were finally put in a very inadequate room looking out at a brick wall. The hotel ran out of towels and facecloths so one day we both had to share one towel and one facecloth. We were disturbed by the staff knocking on doors looking for a customer's luggage they had misplaced. The front desk gave us an early wake up call on the wrong morning, and were 45 minutes late with the wake up call the morning we had to catch an early flight. The complimentary wine and cheese was a nice touch at the end of the day, but we would never go back there despite the great location.

Perfect Location

by TripAdvisor Member Victorovna

My husband and I stayed at the Inn on MLK weekend and were pleased. It is typical of older San Francisco (and New York) hotels in that the rooms are old fashioned, but these folks lend a lot of attention to detail. We had a top-floor suite--two rooms and a bath (great price!) and I was gratified to find ample shelving, sink surround, drawers and cupboards in the bathroom to store my many potions and lotions. The location can't be beat, of course, and aside from the somewhat hammocky bed, I would recommend this hotel to everyone. Leave your car behind, tho--the new rate for parking is $36, with a 14% tax, and with tip you'll be near $50/night for the privilege.

The Ballet of the StingrayThe Ballet of the Stingray

Java Beach Cafe, SFJava Beach Cafe, SF

Rodin Collection at the Legion of HonorRodin Collection at the Legion of Honor

The Candy was not SpikedThe Candy was not Spiked

Mobile operators in San Francisco

by Dulebg

Dear friends,

I would alo need your advise on mobile operator most I should choose while in SF and where can I buy the package.

Thanks guys...to be continued :-)

Dusan

Re: Mobile operators in San Francisco

by xymmot

YOU CAN BUY A PAY AS YOU GO PHONE AT any electronic store for 20 USD. Virgin mobile is the best and have a very good web site support. If you have a forward address, you can buy a phone on line and it will be there ther next day.

Re: Mobile operators in San Francisco

by Dulebg

Mark, thanks a lot. These sounds like excellent option.

Cheers,