333 Fulton Street, San Francisco, California, 94102-4423, United States

Travelocity Expedia.com Priceline.com

• xxsentiaxx's Profile Photo

Civic Center Hotel

The Inn at the Opera is an above average hotel in a convenient location. It's a on the pricey side but I think that's because of the location. The hotel is located right near the opera house which is important if you like that kind of thing and lots of expensive restaurants. It's also just a 10 minute walk to the BART station. I didn't feel very comfortable walking about at night seeing as how it's near the infamous Tenderloin area but during the day and in the early morning hours I felt completely safe. The staff at the hotel were awesome, very accomodating and friendly. The only thing that i did not like about this hotel was that you had to pay $10.00 a day for internet service.

Directions: Civic Center

• cristianoq's Profile Photo

Wonderful!

I booked the Hotel by my travel agency, and I'm happy to report that I spent a wonderful week at the hotel. It's not a big hotel and usually this feature help me give a superior rate of the hotel, the feeling with the people at the hotel was very good and the treatment was superior to my expectation. The hotel is located very close (few meters) from the Opera House, the view is nice. The room was really sweet, furnished with a large and comfortable bed . The service was equally good with really nice and kindly people. Unfortunately I could not rate the restaurant, since I don't like the local dish I just can give a high rate for the good breakfast. I strongly suggest you to book the hotel if you plan to go in SF. The price was a little bit more expensive than other hotels, but Inn at the Opera definitively worth it.

Unique Quality: Really nice people!

More about Inn at the Opera

Older Hotel with Nice Staff but Small Rooms

I stayed here one night in October 2004. I made my reservation on the hotel's website and got a room for $109 per night. Unfortunately, when I called from the airport to find out the hotel's cross-streets and confirm that my room was available, I learned that the hotel had erroneously made my reservation for 10 days later. The hotel told me that it was full but that it would find a room for me as the reservation mistake was its fault.

When I arrived I found that the hotel itself is located essentially behind city hall, which puts it in walking distance of government buildings in the Civic Center. However, the street has no other businesses on it (it all appeared to be older apartment buildings with metal security gates), and at night it was dark so the walk to the few restaurants on Van Ness (California Pizza Kitchen, Chevy's, a noodle place, and McDonald's) did not seem like a good idea.

The hotel itself is rather small. The lobby consists of a small sitting area and then the front desk. The elevator is an ancient contraption that claims to fit six persons. Classical music is played in the hotel, including in the elevator.

I was assigned room 68 on the 6th floor overlooking the street. It was furnished with antique-looking furniture, including an amoire and a desk. It also had a sink, microwave and undercounter refrigerator. The bathroom was tiled, had a tub/shower combination, thick towels, and nicer toiletries. Everything in the room appeared to be generally tasteful and in good condition. Other than the fact that the hotel is older and noise travels through the walls just as it would in an older home, the only drawback to the room was its small size. There was literally about one foot of space between the end of the bed and the front of the amoire.

The staff was very pleasant both at check-in and check-out.

All in all, the Inn at the Opera is a small, kind of creaky hotel, with small, nicely furnished rooms, on a street that does not lend itself to walking at night, and has a very nice staff. I would stay there again.

Petty

by TripAdvisor Member Bev040

I must complain about an incident that occurred during our stay. First
of all, I found the room we stayed in on January 18th and 19th cramped.
There is barely any room to walk around the bed and the armoire door
does not open fully to view the television. Otherwise, the staff is
very well mannered and everything else was satisfactory except for this
small incident.

I have to tell you this however petty it may sound as I find a charge
of $3.50 unjust. My complaint is the coffee packets left in the room.
There is a $1.75 charge for requests for extra coffee packets. I
assumed this meant per day only to find (to my dismay) that I was charged
$3.50 for requesting another decaf and caf packet the second day of our
stay. I told the maid that she must have forgotten to put some more in
the room and she could not even speak English very well. I assumed she
made a mistake as I frequent hotels and they always give additional
coffee packets free of charge each day when they clean the rooms. I did
not know I would be charged until checkout. This petty charge really
bothered me.

Old-fashioned attention

Great location, friendly and extremely courteous staff, reasonable prices. A little piece of European boutique hotel elegance in San Francisco. Near great shops and interesting eateries. Plan to stay there again next month (March 2005).

Why so few reviews of this Hotel?

by TripAdvisor Member Part_time_traveller

I can't understand why there are so few reviews of The Inn at the Opera. We, (2 couples), found it excellent. We booked through Expedia and got excellent rooms for about £55/$96.

Some reviewers have said the rooms were small, but that is only by US motel standards, by Europen standards they were a good size.

The staff were efficient, courteous and friendly, the rooms were spotless. and towels seemed to be changed as soon as you wetted them!
Continental breakfast is extensive, delicious and best of all, complementary!

OK, it isn't on Fisherman's Wharf, or Union Square, but that is reflected in the price, and many people (us included), regard that as a plus point, not a minus.

You can walk to Market Street and the cable car in 15 mins, and a cab (between 4 people) was only $8 to anywhere in the centre, so you are not out in the back of beyond.

Check out any other hotels in town at a similar price, and this has to be the one to choose - highly recommended.

None better

My famliy stayed at the Inn on the 2nd and 3rd of Oct. When we pulled up to the curb my wife recieved a call that her mother(85)had been rushed to the hospital in Spokane, Washington and did not look good. This was at 10:00am Sunday morning. Not only did the hotel let us check in early, the staff looked into booking my wife on a plane to Spokane. As my mother in laws condition improved over the next few hours so we decided to stay. We were in room 64, a suite, that was absolutly delightful. A sitting/kitchen area, living room / 2nd bedroom, full size main bedroom, and two full size bathrooms. The staff was nothing but excellent in every instance and we WILL return for accomadations when we plan to vacation in the Bay area.

Think small

How you perceive the inn will depend much, I think, on the package you can arrange on the hotel's own website. Having stayed at this property during ten different occasions, I hope to provide some insight.
We almost always book a room with parking included. Since parking rates are now $25 a night plus 14% tax, you should do what you can to snare this arrangement. Since so many guests do not seem to mind the small rooms, there should be no problems unless you have large suitcases. Each room is equipped with a kitchenette (microwave, small fridge, enough utensils to reheat food)and two packets of coffee, which will be replaced at $1.75 each. This policy has been in force for four or five years. Yes, it should be replaced daily, for free.

The service at the desk is very accommodating, and, if things don't work properly in the room, you can count on the help to fix things. Your room is likely to be assigned randomly, even if you request specific rooms. Often the inn is fully booked with performers and/or their guests and the management cannot always guarantee your requests. You should, however, ask to be in a room that is not adjacent to a room with jacuzzi tub, as the noise from the bath in the suite will make sleeping difficult. Street-side rooms have nice neighborhood views but can be noisy if you choose to leave your window(s) open. And since there is no air-conditioning, you will certainly need to do so during the occasional hot days.

A complimentary continental breakfast is included
(not too inspiring but there is fresh fruit and unlimited drinks), and yes, a folder is presented upon departure. For heaven's sakes, put in a dollar or two. Many other establishments do the same. We've eaten a couple of times at the opulent restaurant Ovation, located past the front desk. Although there is enough choice on the menu, prices have escalated seriously enough and service has grown indifferent at best, to the point where we can no longer recommend it. Try instead Absinthe, Jardinière, Hayes Street Grill, or, for the super budgeters, Stelline's.

Charming, small hotel

by TripAdvisor Member smalltowngalReno

My husband and I booked this hotel based on it's location and positive reviews. We stayed one night and attended the SF Ballet's "Swan Lake". The ballet was beautiful and the hotel was only a short walk away. The staff is friendly but the rooms are extremely small. I would estimate about 200 sq feet. Our room on the 4th floor had a window that looked out to the alley but it was nice that we could open it for fresh air because it was unseasonably warm. The bed was comfortable but unfortunately we did not discover the ear plugs in the drawer of the nightstand until the next morning. We were awoken at 1:30am by an extremely loud garbage truck in the alley emptying the garbage bins and found it difficult to sleep due to the noise for most of the night. The bathroom was so small it was difficult to find space to put out toiletries but the shower did have adequate pressure. The complimentary breakfast in the morning is continental style, with very few choices. It is rather strange that the waiters hand out tip portfolios at breakfast, but since they were nice enough to refill our coffee cups for us we left them a few dollars. The parking package we booked via the internet was $142/night. Although the hotel was adequate, we felt the accommodations were simply too small to be comfortable. Next time we visit SF we will seek a hotel with larger rooms, even if the location is not as convenient. We enjoyed a nice dinner at the Hayes Street Grill but be sure to book advance reservations on performance nights because it gets very crowded. I would recommend any of the grilled fish, the french fries and of course the wondeful creme brulee! As with most restaurants in the area, it is expensive but the service was absolutely wonderful which is made it a lovely meal.

Nothing was too much trouble

by TripAdvisor Member Edwin_Lin

The staff could not have been more helpful and courteous, Jose-Louis helped us no end and the other staff were most helpful and friendly. The Inn at The Opera is ideally located for walking and close to reliable public transport. Don't take the cable cars if you are in a hurry, the car operators certainly aren't!

Comments