JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

500 Post Street, (formerly Pan Pacific Hotel), San Francisco, California, 94102, United States

Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Costs 70% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• hoz's Profile Photo

If only I could afford this...

We stayed here 2 nights on our West Coast Tour, starting in Seattle and ending in LA. We usually overnight in bargain fleabag motels (we're retired and living on a fixed income) but this was comped by my stepson, he travels for business and has boocoo credits.

Check in was quick, painless and the clerk was helpful with tourist questions and directions. The room was spacious and well equipped. If you are on a budget watch the "extras" though. A Pepsi from the in room refrigerator is $4.00.

Since valet parking was $47.00 a day (not to mention tips) I researched parking options and drove across the street (Propark 520 Mason) but you must drive around the block to access as Mason is one way. My rate was $27 a day with in/out privileges but we never used it. Preferring to use the Muni system to explore.

On Saturday evening there was a free finger food reception in the Sky Lounge for "Premier Members" , which my son is, so my wife and I went up there for some mini prosciutto sliders, flimsy french fries and a cheese/veggie spread.

I spied several liquor bottles on the counter, mixed up a couple of rum and cokes and was surprised as we left when the attendant said it was an "honor bar" and I had to sign for the drinks. (There was no signage). Oh well, $17.00 for a couple R&C's while watching the setting sun in SF when everything else was free, I'm not complaining.

There is a computer/business center and wifi is available throughout the hotel but you will be charged $.49 a minute. Instead in the Sky Lounge we found a computer and caught up there for free.

Since we didn't pay for our stay I can't comment on the value of the JW Marriot but I will say it's a Grand Hotel.

Unique Quality: Very nice, excellent service.

WOW factor.

• Pan Pacific Hotel. Somewhat...

Pan Pacific Hotel. Somewhat pricey, but well located near Union Square. Top service and ambiance.

Unique Quality: They will take you to a location of your choosing in the City in their Rolls Royce if it is available. Doormen wear white gloves and are always gracious.

More about JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

Great Place To Stay

Stayed 2 nights at the Pan Pacific. The room was elegant and the staff couldn't have been more accommodating. Convenient location. Would happily stay there again. Loved the tv in the bathroom.

A First-Rate Stay

by TripAdvisor Member morellyn

I recently stayed at the Pan Pacific for the 3rd time. While that statement may speak for itself, I would like to share some of the more attractive features. The location is excellent, with Union Square shopping only a block away, and Fisherman's Wharf a short trolley/taxi ride. The rooms themselves are even better, especially for the money. Yes, it will probably cost you $120-$150/night, plus an additional $20 or so for parking, BUT it is highly dependable, and an all-around excellent hotel. I have paid more money to stay at far lesser hotels, and I would rank the Pan-Pacific with some that cost double or triple its room prices.

The bedrooms themselves are fairly spacious, with high-quality sheets and bedding--something that really does make a difference in your night's sleep. The bathrooms are sumptuous, with marble floors, sinks, shower, etc., and very spacious. Plenty of shelf space as well. And the rooms are fairly quiet, even on a lower floor. Although we didn't indulge, the in-room entertainment is extensive, with your choice of dozens of movies, CDs on demand, digital music channels, internet access, or games for kids (though nothing is less than $10). An ironing board and steam iron also proved useful when I didn't have time to take advantage of the hotel's pressing and cleaning services. The lobby is quite impressive, and the service is excellent--I twice left my parking stub in the car, but the staff had no problem finding my car and bringing it up even before I was ready. The concierge was knowledgeable and quite helpful in procuring hard-to-get tickets to a popular play.

If I had any nitpicks, I'd probably say the breakfast in the lobby restaurant and drinks in the bar were overpriced, though certainly everything tasted just fine. I have stayed at other hotels in the area, and I keep coming back to the Pan-Pacific. I hope to keep coming back for many years to come.

A real steal if you can get a discounted rate

I booked a standard king size bed room at a steeply discounted rate that I found on Orbitz. The place was great for San Francisco given the rate I got. The location can't be beat: it is on Union and Mason, just a block or so from Union Square, and the hotel is just far enough off of Powell Street that is was not noisy at all at night or in the mornings.

Check in was a snap, and the staff was very helpful, starting with the desk clerk and then with the concierge, whom we asked for directions and ideas. The rest of the service was just fine. I particularly liked the fact that there were bellmen and doormen at the street level always available to be helpful. Maid service was just fine. We never tried to use the two services that the hotel hypes so much: the pillow selection or the valet service.
My only complaint is that a hotel of this category really should offer turndown service in the evening. We had to hunt through the small print of the hotel service directory after the first night to learn that this service is available, but only on requrest.

The standard room was very nicely furnished. It was of a decent size given San Francisco room standards. The robe and umbrella were a nice touch. The marble bathrooms were really beautiful and I liked the safe in the closet. Water pressure in the showers was fine. No view from our room, but who cares in this city when you are out all day, and the rate was so reasonable after shopping around that the price was great.

My only constructive criticism of the place relates to its layout and security. You can take the elevator right from street level to your room without stopping at the lobby on the third floor and changing elevators. This is a nice change from many hotels that prevent this by making you stop in the lobby. The down side of this is that anyone can walk into the hotel and go directly up the elevator to the guest floors without anyone asking or checking to see if they are hotel guests. I would feel better if there was some way to prevent people from coming off the street and all the way upstairs.

Despite this, we had a great 3 days at a beautiful facility. While this hotel is not in the top tier of luxury like a Ritz, Four Seasons, etc. It is a very nice hotel at the next level down, and a real steal if you can book a room at a steeply discounted price like I did.

Great Room and Great Staff

Spent two nights in San Francisco and the Pan Pacific helped make our visit great. The room was excellent (large bathroom, LCD TV, comfy bed, clean, access to their limo shuttle) and the staff went out of their way to help us. Pan Pacific's concierge are one of the best I've ever encountered... personable, great dinner recos, arranged custom limo trips, and on personal time went to Ticketmaster to purchased concert tickets for us. Couldn't ask for more (except cheaper drinks in the lobby bar).

Location and Service!

Great room and perfect view! The location, service and ambience of the hotel were great! So close to Union Sq and Chinatown. The view from the 16th floor was amazing...especially at night. The trip was a surprise for my girlfriend and she also loved the hotel!

Very nice, stay here

by TripAdvisor Member river999

We stayed at the Pan Pacific Labor Day weekend. No complaints at all. Excellent staff and location. Walking distance to Union Square, the trolley, train services and SBC park and tons of great shopping. A cab ride to the Wharf was about $30 US. Took the K line train back and the money thing was not working so we rode back for free-so we saved $2. Cab ride to North Beach was also around $30.
If you like Thai food. Walk out of the hotel door and go to your right. About a block up on the left is an awesome place, small and not flashy, but the food was great.
Would stay at the Pan Pacific again.
Enjoy!

Great Stay!

My wife and I stayed here for two nights from 10/10-10/12/04. We flew to Oakland, then rented a convertible and started in San Fran and drove down Pacific Coast Highway to LA. First off, let me recommend doing this. We took a week, and it was incredible. That's another story. As far as the Pan Pacific is concerned, we stayed during the middle of the hotel worker's strike. I had done a LOT of research while I was in Afghanistan on places to stay in SF prior to coming out there. I had considered several other hotels. The majority of those hotels, it so happened, were surrounded day and night by angry and disgruntled hotel union employees, banging with sticks and shouting into megaphones. Not so at the Pan Pacific. Plus one for them. I'll just be brief in this review. The place is pricey, but great. You will not be disappointed. We got a room upgrade for a reasonable price when we first checked in. The rooms are beautiful. It's kind of like post-modern Japanese minimalism. Very light colors, high quality furniture. Lots of marble. The open air atrium is very classy, and the service is top notch. The staff are friendly and professional, and the hotel is pretty much in the center of everything. The bed was incredibly soft, and the decor was elegant. A few gripes - the valet service (which they do not inform you of at the time of your check in) is $39 per night. Kind of pricey. You also won't get the best views at this hotel. No worries, it can't be helped sometimes as SF has so many hills. In addition, though Union Square is in the middle of the city, we found ourselves spending a lot more time towards the wharf area. There aren't that many attractions - aside from shopping and restaurants - that are in Union Square. All in all, though, we'd definitely go back and stay. I've traveled quite a bit with my job, and I have to stay this is one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in. You pay for it, but it is nice.

large room, minimal service, dated a/c, TV didn't work

Thankfully, my deal on hotwire meant a substantially lower price than is listed on this page. The room itself was nice and large, with a decent view. However, the air conditioner was an old wall unit, that they had simply stuck a programable thermostat on. It was either on or off, and it would take about 20 minutes to reach the desired temperature, and when it was on, it was loud - one speed only. Then the TV didn't work, a guy came up and worked on it for 20 minutes, it worked for a while and then stopped again. The service at the front desk was also slow, with very minimal customer interaction, and the valets didn't open your door, help with bags or anything, so no tip needed there. All in all, a nice location with decent larger rooms, but if detail and service is big on your list, keep looking.

Hotel Help

by flex9021

Planning a trip for the first part of August and have narrowed hotel choices to three (at this particular time, anyway) Pan Pacific, Hotel Palomar and The Monaco. Have checked out many web sites with reviews, and they all sound comparable.

Would prefer a well-kept and clean room with an accomadating staff. Any extras, of course, are fine.

This is our first trip to San Francisco and I know we won't be spending an enormous amount of time in the room, but would like to be comfortable and have a nice "home-base".

Thanks for any help.

by Jamesr3939

Don't know about those in SF, but I stayed in the Pan Pacific in Vancouver and it was top of the line. I would go back there in a minute.

by TravelSimone

Although I live in SF, I have stayed in the Pan Pacific here in town. It was very nice- high end, for sure. The service was very attentive.

Someone else on another post in the SF Forum commented that one might be able to hear the clanging of the cable cars from the Hotel Monaco. I, personally, cannot confirm this.

by jessicadf

Being a local, I haven't stayed in many hotels in San Francisco. I can, however, vouch for the restaurant in the Palomar: 5th Floor. Top notch and worth a meal, whether or not you stay at the hotel.

Have fun!
Jessica

RE: RE: Hotel Help

by flex9021

Thanks, everyone for the input. We'll definitely check out the Fifth Floor.

Comments