Kensington Park

Expedia.com Hotels.com Orbitz.com

Rated 18% higher but also costs 186% more than other 2.5 star hotels

• Lhenne1's Profile Photo

Antique Elegance

We booked a room at the Kensington Park through Priceline.com and had never seen or heard of it before. We were certainly not disappointed. The boutique hotel is very inviting and friendly, built in 1923, it has been maintained very well. When we arrived, they had overbooked our level of room so we were instantly upgraded to the King Suite. It was gorgeous. Friends of our's stayed in a regular room which was very pretty, but a little bit cramped.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. On our last day, they securely held our bags until we were ready to leave the city. A complimentary tea and sherry service is served in the late afternoon and coffee and juice is served in the morning to help get you moving.

Aside from the amenities of the hotel, it is less than a block from Union Square. The location is ideal.

This may be my favorite hotel in San Francisco. For the quality it is a great bargain as long as you're not visiting on a holiday or high-traffic weekend.

Unique Quality: Rooms are decorated in antique or replica furniture. This gives the stay a very elegant feel.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Kensington Park Hotel -- Union Square

When I was looking for a hotel in the Union Square area, I was discouraged to see most were $200-$300 per night. After a few days of searching I stumbled onto the Kensington Park Hotel that had rooms for as low as $115. The reviews sounded generally positive, but a warning was repeated: they will often overbook this hotel, then try to move you to another hotel in the area that is not as nice. I decided to book the room on Orbitz.com so if they tried to move me, I had someone in my corner to complain to, rather than being at the whim of the hotel staff. It worked out in my favor, too... we checked in around 7pm, and the only room left in the hotel was their "Royal Suite" on the top floor. This small, but excellent room has views of Union Square, a flat screen TV, antique furniture, mirrored walls, a very nice bed, free wireless internet, and more. Maybe the biggest complaint was the in-room coffee only made one cup.

The hotel offers valet parking for around $30 a night and there is a nice restaurant on site. With Union Square only a half block away from the front door, you will be hard pressed to find a less expensive or more convenient hotel.

A few things to know about the Kensington Park: their website will not allow you to book a standard king or queen room for two adults; it forces you to book their more expensive "double-double" room. If you book on their website, they will often try to move you to another of the company's seven hotels in the Union Square area; if you book on a third party website such as Orbitz, you can avoid this inconvenience.

Directions: 1/2 block from Union Square on Post Street

• Great Tourist Hotel

I really liked this hotel as a nice place to rest your head for a busy tourist in San Fran. Although there is no restaurant or pool, I am often happier to get out of the hotel asap and experience the city I am staying in. The Kensington Park is centrally located, has a very nice old-world style to it, is very clean and incredibly affordable for its location. Grab breakfast at one of the diners on the next block up the hill, then jump on the trolley on the same corner for the quintessential tour of San Fran.

Although I didn't have any problems, I would advise that if you need any help or advice on the city, go for the bellhop rather than the front desk atttendants. He understands customer service a lot better than they do!

More about Kensington Park

Union Square Shops & Festivals, Protests, Statues

by Ewingjr98 about Union Square

Union Square has a little of everything. Antiques, theaters, and high class shops next to bums, hippies, and international festivals. Where to begin?

I've visited the area around Union Square five or six times, and each was a different and memorable experience. I've been shopping at classy stores like Williams Sonoma and Barnes and Noble. I've been accosted by bums who both begged for money and yelled about how much they "hate Nazis" (don't we all?). I once stayed in the Kensington Park Hotel just a block from the square and enjoyed the nightlife and a few local restaurants. I also visited the Indonesian tourism festival in 2007. I recently heard some hippies yelling about how 9-11 was a government conspiracy. In May 2008 we saw some acrobatic climbing wall dancers imitating Cirque du Soleil... very impressive. The next day we saw a celebration for Buddha's birthday.

No matter what you can count on some excitement here.

Wonderful hotel with a great location

by TripAdvisor Member tampacub11

My family and I stayed at The Kensington Park Hotel in San Francisco from May 8 to May 13. We paid $110/per night for the first 4 nights booked through a discount travel website. We decided to stay an extra night to see more of San Francisco. The hotel staff added on an extra night for $149, the hotel's current room price at the time. We felt an extra night in the city was well worth the money and the staff made the booking changes very quickly.

This hotel has a great location. It is less than a block away to shops in Union Square. There are plenty of diners and restaurants that are easy to walk to. We especially enjoyed the food at Cafe Mason located on the corner of Mason and O'Farrell. During our stay, we walked from the hotel to Chinatown, Union Square, San Francisco Shopping Center, The Disney Store(Great for kids and Disney lovers and it's practically next door!), Market Street, the Cable Car turnaround, and other nearby stores. We also felt the location of The Kensington Park Hotel was very safe and our room was secure.

Our room had 2 double beds and was very, very clean. It was nicely decorated, spacious(for San Francisco, very spacious), had comfortable beds, and was pleasant overall. The bathroom has a sink with counter space, a hairdryer, a toilet, and a shower/tub combo. The shower had great water pressure and was very nice after a long day of walking.

The room also had an iron with ironing board, closet with hangers, TV with some cable channels, armoire(holds the TV and has 3 drawers), a desk with chair, a living chair, and a nightstand with phone. Local calls cost $.75 each. We also had wireless internet in our room.

The hotel staff were very helpful and friendly. The housekeeping service was wonderful. Every day we came back to our room to find our beds made, fresh towels, and everything in its place. There is also afternoon tea or sherry available in the lobby, but we did not have any. We mostly traveled to the 9th floor for free coffee. Coffee, ice machines, and vending machines are on the 9th and 12th floor. Our room was on the 7th floor, so it was a quick elevator ride to the coffee.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay very much and would stay here again.

***I'd also like to add that you should be VERY careful when leaving your car unattended in downtown. There are certain times when it is okay to park your car at meters or on certain streets. Your car will be towed away during the restricted hours such as the times for street cleaning. Tow trucks are everywhere in downtown. Please look for signs that post restricted hours whenever you park in downtown. It's better to be safe than sorry. Have a great trip!

The Perfect Spot!

My daughter and I enjoyed a delightful stay at this wonderful hotel in San Francisco. We were there for one week. We were a little concerned that there would be no air conditioner (being from Florida!) but this turned out to be no problem at all. The weather outside was very cool (we visited in late July), and the window opened. We had to keep it closed at night because it was so cold outside! The room was adequate for the two of us, very quiet in the evening, and the beds were extremely comfortable. We have stayed in many hotels, and this one was by far the CLEANEST. The bathroom was kept spotless every day, a request for more toilet paper was honored IMMEDIATELY and the service from the front desk was top notch. Bob, the concierge, was quite helpful in renting a vehicle for us and in helping us with our trip to the Napa Valley.

The hotel is very convenient...a big plus when visiting this terrific city. It is right in Union Square, a couple of blocks from the cable car turn around. It is within walking distance to Chinatown and Japan Center. The trolley stops are all nearby, making trips to the Fisherman's Wharf a breeze.

Take advantage of the tea and sherry in the late afternoon...it is delightful! Napa Valley is about 1 1/2 hrs away, and you can even visit the Petrified Forest and Old Faithful. Carmel is about 2 hrs away....the drive down is magnificent. We saw seals sunning themselves on the rocks. Truly a memorable ride.

All in all...the Kensington Park Hotel helped to make our stay in San Francisco one we will always remember. We highly recommend it, and we would love to stay there again!

Great Little Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member DBarrick

We saw the hotel on the internet but not sure about it. Booked it with my travel agent who recommended the hotel. We arrived in San Francisco Feb 27/05 to March 4/05. Great little hotel, half a block from Union Square and cable cars. Excellent staff, helpful, very clean, not your "chain type" hotel but excellent value, sherry & tea in afternoon nice touch. Suggest you book on line. Agent charged $129 per night Cdn or about $100 US.upon checking out I discovered our rate would have been 70US plus tax or $80.00 per night. So BOOK ON LINE. For Breakfast turn left out of hotel go to corner turn right, go one block and turn right look for O'Doull's pub, best place around for breakfast.

Lovet it !!!

by TripAdvisor Member itinar

Our family stayed at the Kensington in two rooms for two nights. This hotel is really nice in an excellent location and has a touch of class and elegance.
The rooms are very nicely decorated and well equiped. I would recommend the Kensington anytime.

Great location, good value, small but clean rooms

by TripAdvisor Member jimdsail

Good location just off of Union Square. If you need to get to Moscone center it's about a 10 minute walk through downtown. Rooms are small and old, but everything was clean and functional. Staff was helpful.

Cute as a button!!!

This is the cutest hotel I have ever stayed in. The room we had was on the 11th floor, room 79. We had a city view that was just beautiful. The room was decorated in earth tones with burgundy accents. The bed was very comfortable. As other reviews noted, there are no air conditioning units but you really don't need one due to the weather being very cool in San Francisco. You will want to dress warm when you go out into the city. The staff is very nice and helpful. My stay here was nothing but great. When we go back, we will staying here again. I can hardly wait!!!

High End Hotel-Bargain Price

by stevee

Looking for a "higher" end hotel for a bargain price if there is such a thing. Any suggestions. I need 2 rooms for just 1 night in late September.

Re: High End Hotel-Bargain Price

by Lhenne1

I've had great luck using priceline and "betting" on an up-scale hotel. On my last trip to SFO, I stayed at the Kensington Plaza Hotel (a really nice boutique hotel) near Union Square. I got a great deal through orbitz.com ($135 a night on a weekend).

Re: High End Hotel-Bargain Price

by Lhenne1

Sorry, it was called the Kensington Park Hotel.

Have fun in San Fransisco!

Comments