King George Hotel

See Amenities
Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Excellent place to stay

by written on May 20, 2008

I stayed at this hotel many years ago while in the city helping Chris celebrate his birthday. Back when VT had auctions, this was one of the hotels that was featured and he won the auction so we decided to use it during this particular visit.

A really nice hotel in the heart of San Francisco centrally located downtown. We had a small but nice room with a king size bed which was quite comfortable.

Unique Quality: The nice king size comfy bed, centrally located with dining and shopping just steps away.

SailorRoar's Profile Photo

Right next to Union Square

by written on April 2, 2008

This hotell has the location, it is close to most things; Union Square, Market Street, Cable Cars that goes to fishermans warf etc. It is a bit worn, but the staff is very friendly and helpful. They also have a complemantary breakfast, something that we found is very unusual in the US.

Unique Quality: Location, good service and compilmentary breakfast.

ALilComoQue's Profile Photo

Great Location, Cozy, Cute, and well priced

by written on January 5, 2005

The rooms are small and quaint, but the hotel is clean and quiet. It's very centrally located in downtown SF and we enjoyed our stay.

Unique Quality: The place is dreesed up in a true Edwardian/Victoran Style. it really is inviting and warm. The complementary in-room High speed internet access is also very nice. Just bring your lap top and you're set.

Directions: With-in 3 blocks of the BART station, 4 or 5 blocks of Chinatown, and a block from Union Square

SmileyLeSa's Profile Photo

Union Square Location

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 21, 2004

The King George Hotel was a very quaint and charming hotel dating back to 1918. The rooms were small and the atmosphere reminded me of a B&B. The room is appropriate for a weekend trip away for two.

I stayed at the hotel on a business trip, sharing the room with a co-worker. The rooms are not conducive for business travel. They do have high-speed internet, but there is only one electrical outlet in the entire room and it does not accept a 3-prong computer extension.

There is no room service or restaurant in the hotel. There is a nice bar area, which I believe serves lunch and dinner. They hotel also serves continental breakfast.

Customer Service

by written on September 3, 2004

As we got two auctions we had to get two of the packages with the muni passes, chocolates and others, that we did not get all of it.

First it took us about 2 days to make them understand the problem and at the end we did not get all of it. But after all their mistakes they were nice.

Not much helpful as in other places but ok

Size of the rooms

by written on September 3, 2004

Our reservation was for a queen bed room and I think we got the smallest one in the hotel as we nearly did not have any room for the luggage.

Furniture was alright, good quality, but I do not understand why they did not provide with a little fridge. I though they will have it for their standards.

Next time I will stay in a Hilton (if I can afford of course)

Try to get a room in the lowest level as there is only one lift and in the mornings is always on use by the cleaning service

Near Union Street

by written on September 3, 2004

The main reason we got this hotel was VT auctions, also because its situation close to Union Square.

You are close to Powell Street to take both cable cars, and not far from Market street to take most of the buses to move around.

It is also a nice walk to go from the hotel to Chinatown, cross Little Italy and then to Fisherman’s Wharf and back by Cable car…

PRIME LOCATION!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 29, 2004

Great Staff , a great package if your going to San Francisco! Your Walking distance to everything!

They have a great atmosphere and rooms are cozy but clean. Lots of character and warmth. I will return and you will too if you win the auction.

Unique Quality: See above

Directions: Union Square, the Cable Cars Trolleys, Chinatown and Moscone convention center all are an easy distance to walk.

cjg1's Profile Photo

VT Auction win

by written on February 25, 2004

This hotel isn’t bad. It is not a great hotel and for the going rate I probably won't stay here again. But I have used it twice now and both times it was sufficient.

The first stay was for two nights on one of the nicest beds I've ever slept on. I had won one of the VT auctions for this place and used it for my birthday trip in 2004. As such my first time was much better. To give proper credit to the place it had one of the most comfortable beds I’d ever been in at the time. The list has grown now and its been a while but still, a very comfortable sleep.

Unique Quality: One of the weird things from the first stay was that I asked them to send out postcards with their mail. I stamped them and all but it took well over two month for them to arrive to their destinations in the States.

ESQinDC's Profile Photo

Great Hotel with Character

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 10, 2004

My parents stayed at this hotel way back in 1982 and loved it. So many years later, when I found myself visiting 'Fran', I decided to give it a shot. It was great!

The hotel is tall and narrow, but the rooms are quite comfortable and are true to the heritage of the hotel, which was built back in 1912. The staff is very nice and the price is very reasonable. The doorman is a very nice touch.

Parking is available at a garage across the street for a reasonable fee.

Unique Quality: (From the Hotel's Website):

The King George Hotel - Union Square offers the perfect San Francisco location. Our hotel shares sidewalks with fine dining, world class shopping, theatre, Moscone Convention Center, Convention Hotels and San Francisco's world famous cable car line to Fisherman's Wharf.

You will immediately notice our comfort and warmth. A tradition of charm and personal service have been our hallmark since we first opened our doors in 1912. Our amenities are distinctly up-to-date, including complimentary in-room high speed Internet access, but our hospitality and our rates are wonderfully old-fashioned.

In the heart of downtown the King George Hotel is just three blocks from the Powell Street BART station, which now services both Oakland (OAK) and San Francisco (SFO) International Airports.

Directions: A block off of Union Square, near the theater district and close to the cable cars.

Yubert's Profile Photo

Perfect Union Square Location

by written on February 6, 2003

The King George Hotel shares sidewalks with the fine dining, world class shopping, theatre, Moscone Convention Center and San Francisco's world famous cable car line to Fisherman's Wharf.

King George Hotel has a tradition of charm and personal service that have beentheir hallmark since first opening in 1912. Their amenities are distinctly up-to-date, but hospitality and rates are wonderfully old-fashioned.

The King George Hotel your home away from home while you are a guest in San Francisco.

Unique Quality: I booked a single room over the Internet for $85/night which included self-parking in a secure garage across the street. What's nice is the parking stalls are designed for large cars.

volarevolare's Profile Photo

We stayed at the King George...

by written on August 26, 2002

We stayed at the King George Hotel and it was great. A small and cozy hotel, our room had a bathroom and a walk-in closet. It was a very pretty room and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay with them.
We got a very good deal from Placestostay.com.

Unique Quality: It has a famous tearoom. Walking distance to Powell Cable car station and the theatres.

It nestles in between two diners -- Lori's and Cafe Mason. WE really liked Cafe Mason. Both open 24 hours.

We stayed at the King George...

by written on August 24, 2002

We stayed at the King George Hotel. It's difficult to find a reasonably priced hotel in SF, but the King George wasn't too bad compared to the rest, and considering how great the hotel was (it's a 3 star), I think we definitely got a good deal. It's a lovely boutique style hotel located just a couple blocks from Union Square. There's valet parking and a 'bellhop'. The service was unbelievable. They satisfied all our silly little requests within minutes (directions to a restaurant, corkscrew, etc). We were very impressed. I highly recommend it.

Nearby King George Hotel

• Shuttle Service
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

San Francisco Travel Forum

Need advice about San Francisco, California? Visit the Travel Forum for San Francisco and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest San Francisco hotel reviews