Larkspur Hotel Union Square San Francisco

524 Sutter Street, (Formerly The Cartwright Hotel), San Francisco, California, 94102, United States

Hotel Cartwright Union Square
Hotels.com Expedia.com BookIt.com

Costs 90% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Never Again

I recently spent 3 nights at the Larkspur Hotel..3 nights I wish I hadn't. The pictures on the hotel's website do not portray an accurate view of the rooms. The rooms are very small, very old and have bathroom windows that cannot be locked. The bathroom is very small with almost non existent vanity space. Outside of the disappointment of the room I would bet money that the hotel is haunted. I and the individuals I traveled with thought the place was eerie and we never felt safe or comfortable. There were some strange happenings to a few members of my party... weird sounds, lights turning on in the middle of night while we were sleeping, things being moved in our rooms...etc..... The staff is friendly. The lobby is great. It's when you go upstairs and walk through the halls and in to your rooms that things get spooky. Definitely would not recommend and know for sure I will never again go back. I wouldn't be surprised if it is on a haunted registry list somewhere.

• location location location

first sight of the hotel on our aarrival was horror we had just flew from las vegas and from a luxury spa bedroom in mgm, to a bedroom which you could fit into the bathroom we had in las vegas. but after the initial shock of the hotel decor. and the miniature bathroom, the room was clean and the bed comfy. also the added b onus was a luxury continental breakfast in the morning, fresh fruit yoghurt a waffle machine which you made yourself, cerial toast and jams also current bread, all very nice and set you up for the day, especially when you're going on an all day tour. staff were really lovely tony the concierge was a lovely man and you could arrange tours through him, also they have a shuttle to the airport $28.00 for two. what a bargain. union square just across the road. if you wanted a great sandwich the cable car cafe was just outside the hotel turn left then left again walk up the steep hill a couple of yards and there it is with it's artifical flowers in the window . but the sandwiches were great...
    The cafe on the corner is a theme 50s cafe, foods okay but staff were not freindly. worth a visit for the rock n roll memerabilia

Unique Quality: the breakfast and free pc and printer in the lounge area, available day and night. lovely little extras, which helps you forget the 80s decor and dust sheets

Directions: union square distict

• littlesam1's Profile Photo

Breakfast, Wine receptions and great service

I do not usually stay at fancy hotels when I travel. I usually search for a bed and breakfast or an inexpensive but comfortable hotel that will not go over my budget. But sometimes you just need to pamper yourself a little and The Cartwright Hotel is a good place to do this. The Hotel offers a complimentary breakfast each morning. The staff is courteous and very friendly making you feel right at home. The rooms are large and spotless. Nothing is left out for your comfort and relaxation.

The hotel is centrally located on Sutter Street just off of Powell Street at Union Square.

Unique Quality: Every morning there is a complimentary breakfast. This is not just the usual bagel, juice and danish. There is a full breakfast bar with waffles, cereal, bagels, danish, yogurt, and fruit. A coffee bar is open 24 hours for your use in the breakfast area. You can make yourself a cup of coffee or tea anytime you would like. Each afternoon the hotel hosts a fresh baked cookie social in the lobby. And each evening at between 5 and 6 o'clock there is complimentary wine served in the lobby. This allows for time to meet other guests, to relax, and finish off a busy afternoon.

Directions: Sutter and Powell Streets near Union Square

More about Larkspur Hotel Union Square San Francisco

Great Mediterraneon Cuisine

by littlesam1 about Persimmon

On my last trip to San Francisco in July 2005 I stayed at the Cartwright Hotel on Sutter Street. Just a few doors up from the hotel I found the restaurant named Persimmon. I was not sure what to expect. It looked to be very posh from the outside so I assumed it would be expensive and pretentious. To my surprise the prices were very affordable, the staff was extremely friendly and there was no pretense to be sensed. Although upscale it was not stuffy. The guys in hats felt comfortable in the atmosphere wearing jeans and their baseballs caps as usual. The food was excellent. We had stuffed grape leaves for an appetizer. And although stuffed grape leaves are not one of my favorite items the ones here were very good. Not being an expert with Mediterranean cuisine I was not sure what to expect. My entree was chicken in pomegranate sauce with walnuts. It was one of the best meals I had in San Francisco. And that is saying a lot because I did not have any bad meals on this entire trip.

great little hotel

I thought the Cartwright Hotel was a great little find to stay in and explore San Francisco. We stayed there 5 nights and although the room was quite small we found we didn't stay that much in the room anyway. The staff where wonderful and friendly especially the receptionist called Lillian. She even helped us plan a few sight seeing trips. The hotel is under renovation at the moment but the only way you notice this really is the lack of an elavator. I suppose we where lucky with that as we where on the second floor and it might be annoying having to climb 8 flights of stairs every time you want to go to your room. The public areas in the hotel are good also. A great library, internet access and meeting room all on the ground floor. Free wine at 5 every night makes a nice meeting point also. Would stay there again and recommend. If you are going to San Francisco for the first time I would also reccomend a MUNI pass valid on trolleys, busses and underground, really gets you around "the city". Also for the best Italian in town you must try MONA LISA'S mmmmmmmmm

Cute little hotel...

We stayed here for four nights. IT was a very cute, historic hotel. The rooms were small but it was perfect for the two of us. We were hardley in them. The elevators a little slow, but it gave us an excuse to use the spiral staircase. Great location. Very close to the trolly line, China town and all the great shops. Would definatly stay here again. Great price and very courteous staff.

Can You Keep a Secret?

by TripAdvisor Member ColoradoCoach

Can you keep a secret? If you like a Union Square location, just off Powell St. don't tell your friends about a nice, not plush hotel. Why drive the rates up for the rest of us? Newly remodled rooms, comfy beds. What else do you want, it is San Francisco get outside. Come back at 5 pm for a free wine hour. Hungry, the breakfast in the morning has really been improved, fresh waffles,muffins. No need for a car, just take BART from the airport and get off at the Powell St. station.

Cozy hotel, great location

My daughter and Itraveled to San Francisco without renting a car. This was a wonderful location. We were steps away from the cable car and a few blocks from China Town and street cars trains and buses to get us anywhere else in the city. We felt safe coming and going any time of the day. The room was small but very quaint and comfy. We had NO PROBLEMS with noise, even with the windows open at night. One of the best hotel showers I have used in a while. There was still some remodeling going on but it did not affect our stay since it seemed to be on only one floor. The elevator WAS working. The breakfast was really nice, even waffles and sausage egg sandwiches and there was fresh coffee all day even a coffee maker in the room. The Aveda bath products were a treat. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They really made us feel welcome. We would definitely stay here again and recommend to friends. AND, In response to a previous reviewer, I don't work for the hotel.

You Can't Beat the Amenities and Location for the Price!

My husband and I have stayed at the Carwtright twice. The first time was July of 2002, and most recently was the last week of August 2004. The first time we stayed we were very happy with the hotel. This last time was even better. For a great price we got a great room, excellent location, nice breakfast every morning, and parking included in our hotel fee---and given San Francisco's steep parking prices, when the parking fee was factored into the hotel room cost we feel we made out like bandits. We had considered staying elsewhere this most recent trip to San Francisco, but the price and amenities the Cartwright offers were above and beyond any other deal we could get. The Aveda bath products are a nice touch, and the staff is very helpful. We had a room facing out onto Sutter street and it was very quiet with the windows closed. We preferred the windows open when we were in the room in the evening and morning (though not while sleeping), and even then it was not very loud. We especially liked that the room had a ceiling fan. The renovations are very nice---the elevator is now much fatser than it was before. And, the evening wine hour and fresh-baked cookies are a nice treat at the end of a long day of walking around the city. The only downside we had was the first room we were in. Though we had requested a non-smoking room---and that is what we got---it seems the manager of the property was living in the room next to us, and there was a door that connected the rooms but was locked, and unfortunately he smoked. So, when he lit up the smell would drift into our room through the wall/seams of connecting door. Sadly, he would do so at all times of the day and night, which caused us to wake up in the early morning a couple of days to the smell of smoke drifting through the wall, or to come back to a stuffy room with the latent smell of smoke. After two days we requested another room and were moved immediately to the exact same room two floors up. If it had not been for this we would have given the Cartwright the full five stars it deserves.

Stayed there in 1974, 2004; would stay there again in 2034

by TripAdvisor Member schnauzerlady

In 1974, based on an ad in the New Yorker Magazine, I made a reservation at the Cartwright. My room was incredibly small (to compare it to a postage stamp would have been be an insult to the postage stamp) but the staff was very helpful to a lady traveling alone (when ladies did not generally do this type of thing).
So, when I was recently in SF for a conference, and not terribly impressed by my convention hotel, I took a short walk to the Cartwright.
The standard rooms are still postage stamp (although the superior, end rooms appear to be far larger) size; but there is now a nice continental breakfast and manager's wine reception; the 24-hour availability of apples and coffee/tea was nice.
The service is hit or miss. I had absolutely perfect service from serveral of the "old timers"; several of the newer staff did not seem to know where they worked.
I was delighted to have found the Cartwright in 1974; I was even more delighted to have rediscovered it in 2004. As I left, I found that the staff, and I, were hoping we will have a reunion before 2034.
Caveat: The rooms in the Cartwright have only fans and are not airconditioned.

by Aloha4romHawaii

Hi, I am coming down to SFO from city of sun, fun and surf Honolulu during week of September 6th-11th for a conference. My conference is in hilton hotel in down town SFO and it runs till 10 PM in night. I was worried about some seedy reputation of the area. Can any one suggest any good ideas so that I can get a good idea about SFO while navigating through all seedy aeas. I have not yet decided where to stay, initially i was going for britton hotel in SOHO area but after reading some articles i dropped that idea.

I will also appreciate if you can let me know if there is any quick way to see major attractions of SFO in a day or so.

Thanks in advance for your help
Aloha

Tony

Re: Newbie to SFO ,Best accomodation for business traveler in downtown SFO and precautions

by Agraichen

SEEDy? SF ... Ah...G_G ...this is Blasfamy....

Downtown...is like any other "big city"....just be carefule and watch "your "6": I've lived and worked in the SF area for over 20 (oh did I say that) years and have never had a problem...size, stature, and presentation (against the enemy) might have an influence but you should be fine.

Mabe SF VT will "host" a party...

seede

by joesorce

Check out the Warwick Regis (warwickregis.com), they have some low rates on quikbook.com and expedia.com, though the rooms are small, they're nice. I have also heard good comments on the Cartwright Hotel

by pmerryman

A good way to see major attractions is too book a city highlights tour and you can even include a trip to alcatraz in with this.

Comments