San Francisco Hotels

Our Members Say

• atufft profile photo atufft
  • Reviews: 3020

Intercontinental Mark Hopkins: Classic San Francisco atop Nob Hill

This hotel is both one of the oldest and best hotels in San Francisco, and has been purchased and revamped by the Intercontinental chain of luxury hotels. The location atop Nob Hill is outstanding and celebrated, and most of the rooms still have excellent views of the city, even though a number of high rise building compete for view space. Service is also outstanding. Although rooms could be dated given the age of the hotel, they certainly are not. My room on the sixth floor included a suite with flat screen TV and comfortable furniture, while the bedroom had it's own flat screen TV and a very comfortable bed. My view wasn't the greatest, but then it was paid for by an insurance company that needed my testimony in a deposition.

This is old world charm at it's best. The service here is as good as it gets. Don't forget to eat the breakfast buffet at the top of the hotel, which has 360 degree views of the city. Don't park your car here. I'd park the car at the Stockton Garage, then take a taxi with the luggage, if you must have a car at all. During my stay, I came with only carry-on luggage via BART, then walked from the Embarcadero Station up California Street. Cable Cars won't permit tourists with luggage unless for some freak reason the Cable Car is empty.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Luxury Travel, Business Travel
  • Written May 1, 2013

Intercontinental Mark Hopkins SF

• dustmon profile photo dustmon
  • Reviews: 1122

VRBO # 335997: House rental via VRBO.com

We have had good results with VRBO before and got a small downstairs apartment in Glen Park neighborhood for $130 per night plus a $75 cleaning fee...Great little deadend street with a view---
close to good restaurants and a market for groceries---we had no problems with parking on the street. Really nice owners live upstairs but leave you in privacy if you want. Very nice patio for enjoying the warm sun and for smoking---the apt is non-smoking.

• Related to: Road Trip, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Family Travel
  • Written May 19, 2012
Tip Photo

under the stairs is the patio/apt

• speckled_mulatta profile photo speckled_mulatta
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Travelodge SF Airport North: Worst Hotel Experience Ever

I was kicked out of this hotel by the police on Thursday July 21st, 2011.

My brother reserved a room here for 3 people, and he and his wife flew out at 530 am the next morning. I left the room briefly at 7am and when I attempted to re-enter the key card did not work.

When I asked the clerk for a new key he denied me entry saying that I was not a registered guest.

(my brother had told the clerk I was still in the room when he left at 5:30am and no attempt was made to register me or note my presence. Nor was my brother told to register the other 2 people on his reservation or we risked being humiliated and kicked out by the cops)

My purse, wallet, cell phone, luggage and car keys were in the room. Since my brother was flying, the extremely rude clerk was unable to contact him. No attempt was made to be kind, polite, or to reassure me that the problem would be resolved.

I was treated like a street person who was attempting to break into a room.

It was horrible.

I had to wait in the lobby for the a police officer to arrive. The cop came in my room and watched me pack up my things, and I left.

This was the day after my father's funeral.

If I could give minus stars, I would.

The problem was really that the staff could not have been bigger jerks.

This is a crappy motel. It would've have been passable had the customer service not been horrific.

• Written July 25, 2011

• stevewc profile photo stevewc
  • Reviews: 1
cheaper accomadations

Welcome to Bagdad by the bay, the Paris of the west, and my fair city. Good news that you are comming in Sept. Locals call it Indian summer, best weather all year. (bring a coat anyway) If you are renting a car, I assume you are flying into SFO,SJC, or OAK. If you are picking you car up at the airport, and comming late in the day, I suggest you stay at a hotel/motel close to the airport. None of the airports are actually in the city proper. A room out of town will cost 1/2 as much. San Francisco Airport 10-15 mins to downtown, Oakland airport 20-25 minutes to downtown, San Jose airport 35 mins to downtown SF. Alcatraz and a cable car ride I would recommend. The wharf not so much. It reminds me of the Canadian side of Niagra Falls. Lots of t shirt shops. If you do visit the wharf, check out the sea lions basking in the sun. ((pier 39) Its free and the best attraction there. Dont park in the garage, last I checked it was $24. Do walk across the Golden Gate bridge and if you have time, walk through Chinatown. Happy travels, Steve

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Family Travel, Business Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written June 16, 2011

• melosh profile photo melosh
  • Reviews: 395

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Not specified.: Where to stay in San Francisco?

I would suggest that you search for a bed and breakfast unless you are just looking for cheap. In general, you do not save any significant money staying at a bed and breakfast in the USA but the food, the style, the people and the history of these places make for a unique visit. There are guide books listing and describing the best of these locations and you will find many on the internet. The most popular require early reservations.
If you want a more impersonal, and in my opinion less memorable, stay at high class hotel be sure to look for discounts and consider something like Priceline.com . If you are lucky and the time you will visit does not coincide with a large convention or holiday you should be able to find major discounts.

By their very nature, bed and breakfast establishments are unique. The warm personal nature of the resident managers/owners is probably the most outstanding feature that distinguishes them from hotels and motels.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written January 22, 2011
Tip Photo

Cable car fun, but not cheap.

• rkearns profile photo rkearns
  • Reviews: 445
the parker guest house: b&b, central location, close to all the best hoods

i don't know what your budget is, but the parker guest house also a beautiful b&b that's white glove clean. it's in the middle of some of the best neighborhoods in sf. even better, it's just a few steps off the J church, so you can access downtown in 15 mins.

here's the website:

it's right on the cusp of dolores park, mission, church, castro and noe valley areas which ALL have gift or window shopping, a multitude of different types of food, groceries, sights, (dolores park has the best view of the city imo), and culture. go get your gay on! haha

• Written January 2, 2011

• cjg1 profile photo cjg1
  • Reviews: 5413

Hilton San Francisco Union Square: A Great City Stay

I chose this hotel based on availability and location. I have stayed in the area before so it was a no brainer. The hotel is the basic city hotel with large lobby complete with bar abnd restaurant off to the side.

Check in here was a breeze and we were handed our breakfast vouchers for our stay. The room was a nice size considering it is a city hotel; which often can mean small cramped rooms. Our room was rather nice with a comfortable bed, desk, chair, armoire,dressser, TV, mini bar, closet and bathroom with nice toiletries.

The bed was comfy and the hotel was very quiet at night. We both enjoyed our stay here except for the doormen who were next to useless. I would stay here again when in town.

• Written November 29, 2010

• riorich55 profile photo riorich55
  • Reviews: 652

Fairfield Inn & Suites: Convenient to the Airport

This hotel is located nearby the airport (SFO), but is actually in the town of Millbrae. The review for this hotel is on my Millbrae hotel page. Here is the link. Fairfield Inn & Suites, Millbrae

• Written October 24, 2010

• goodfish profile photo goodfish
  • Reviews: 1159

Rentals: Home in the City

As we've done in other cities, I leased a small apartment for our personal days after the convention. We find we usually get far more room and useful amenities - for a better price - in rentals versus hotels. Our chosen unit was close enough to the convention hotel to transfer the luggage on foot, and also just a couple of blocks from a BART/Muni stop for an easy hop to the airport. It also had free laundry facilities, a full kitchen, free wifi and local phone calls and a small balcony: a rare thing in SF hotels.

You can find accommodations ranging from plush, private homes to tiny studios, and amenities range from on-site fitness clubs and pools to just the basics - you choose based on your own criteria. It's important to look for units with lots of positive reviews, few extra fees and the ability to make downpayments by credit card: never wire money or send cash. I've occasionally reserved by personal check but only when the reviews were numerous and solid enough to ensure legitimacy.

We've used both Homeaway.com and VRBO.com and been happy so far. Personally, I'd never use Craigslist but I guess some folks do. Anyway, rentals are almost never perfect but most quirks are easily overlooked for space and price. Great for groups and families!

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written May 12, 2010

Kitchen, our SF rental

• rkearns profile photo rkearns
  • Reviews: 445

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

beach motel: budget accommodations in sf

the beach motel in the outer sunset is $80 per night. if you want to be closer to the action, the travelodge on lombard is $75.

i have stayed at both. they're motels, so you know what to expect, but they're cheap. the beach motel was better. there's the N Judah line that runs into town just a block away and a bar around the corner. if you don't mind being a short distance from anything fun (besides the beach and some good restaurants) but still want to be in the city and want budget, this is the place.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written February 6, 2010

• canucka profile photo canucka
  • Reviews: 9

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport: Nice features

Stayed here for 2 nights in October for a dance convention. Check-in was quick & efficient. The walk to the room was very long as there is only one bank of elevators and we were pretty much the furthest room away. The rooms are aligned in a large square with all the inner rooms having a small balcony over the inner courtyard which has a waterfall, lots of large trees/plants and a glass roof with lots of light. The northeast outside rooms have a view of the water but the rest of the rooms face freeway or buildings. I loved facing the courtyard (of course a water view is always preferable) and would choose that again for the "fresh" air option.

Rooms were average and clean. Bathroom was large with lots of counter space, tub & shower. Comfortable beds.

Their cafe in the center of the courtyard has healthy food as well as baked goods. Good coffee options were a little lacking. They have a parkade but you have to pay even if you are a guest ($14/day!). No break for motorcycles - they lose points for that. We had the convention rate which was MUCH cheaper than their regular rates. That is reflected on our price listed below.

The pub - good food and awesome dark beer (Anchor Steam Porter). Their atrium which all the inner rooms open up to is beautiful. A waterfall for white noise if you want to leave your door open.

• Related to: Business Travel
  • Written January 1, 2010

• SabrinaSummerville profile photo SabrinaSummerville
  • Reviews: 720

Nikko Hotel: Surprisingly Great Find

We "got" the Nikko hotel as part of a really great special offer, including flights, which we booked from Ireland. I had never heard of the Nikko group before, but having stayed there I will certainly be back.

Checkin was swift and pleasant and our deluxe room was bigger than many suites I have stayed in. There were two large double beds, high off the ground, with thick comfy mattresses, crip white linen, and the softest duvets. Seven pillows in varying sizes made a cosy nest for reading and watching tv. There was a large desk with a chair, a big chest of deep drawers, coffee table and comfy chairs, plenty of wardrobe space, mini bar, coffee maker, and huge flat screen tv.

Actually, this hotel is big into its TV's and they were secreted in all sorts of sneaky places - a tiny little one in a mirror in the lobby, a bigger one in a glass cabinet in the corridor by our room, and so on.

Our bathroom was also very large and fitted out in modern style - black laquered wood, black marble, and stone effect tiling. There was a bath, generously proportioned shower, and good quality toiletries.

The public areas are open and calm, very relaxing. There was a gigantic hristmas tree in the lobby and lots of little ones throughout. A seasonal diorama occupied a glass case in the lobby and, with a flick of your room key, it lit up and the little train ran around tracks.

Breakfast is served in Anzu, the hotel restaurant, and was great excet for Sunday when it's served in another, unattractive, room. More of that in another tip.

Room service was ordered once and was prompt, pleasant service, good food and huge portions.

The one let down for me was the highly praised health club. I was all excited when I read about it and packed my swimsuit so I could get back into my swimming. I didn't like it. The changing rooms are top class and recently renovated, but the pool and jacuzzi are ancient and substandard. The water in the pool is way to0 shallow at the shallow end and makes it awkward for swimming laps. It's hard to climb in and out of the pool, especially for me with my bad wrist. The lining of the pool is wrinkled rubber. There's no life guard, which scared me when I was the only one in the pool. I felt as if I was in a murder mystery.....and I was the next victim! The jacuzzi has very gentle jets, is quite hot, and again lined with rubber. After paying the extra charge (yes there's a $10 charge) day one I didn't go back.

• Related to: Business Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written December 16, 2009

Our spacious room

• Sunjay profile photo Sunjay
  • Reviews: 4

Budget Hotels Motels: San Francisco's 100$ Centrally Located Inn, Motels

Love Redwood Inn (Motel) in the Cow Hollow area for its value, location n views,
Only problem is the heavy traffic noise, so getting a room high up (it’s 3 or 4 storey high) n away frm the street is a good idea

Another solid, no frills budget option is Hotel Mayflower on Bush St, also in the center of the city
Cheers Keep Smiling

Location, Cleanliness

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written October 14, 2009

• seagypsy profile photo seagypsy
  • Reviews: 99

budget accommodations in California, near SF

For overall value, setting, and views, the International Youth Hostel in the Marina District can't be beat. It's got some of the most expensive real estate views of the bay-area and not too far away is Fisherman's Wharf and the cable car and bus lines. The AYH also has some excellent hostels along the coast, some in former light houses such as Pescadero and Montara along the coast south of San Francisco on scenic Highway 1. There's also a hostel in the Marin Headlands (though not so convenient unless you've got a car rental).

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written September 30, 2009

• richiecdisc profile photo richiecdisc
  • Reviews: 5881

Motel 6: a good bet if you have a car

Though we had enjoyed the USA hostel and it was a great deal, they did not have parking facilities and being with our car on a six-month camping trip around the Western US National Parks, we needed just that. The Chateau Tivoli was out of our price range too. You can't stay at places like that if you're on a 190 night trip, unless of course, you have lots of money. So, we opted for the Downtown Motel 6. We had stayed at a few on our travels and they are generally one of the least expensive options. Being a chain, you have some kind of albeit low standards.

At $120, this was the most expensive room of our whole six-month trip and not the nicest but it was conveniently located and did have secure underground parking. This was important as we had all of our camping gear (and about everything we owned!) in the car. The room was certainly not bad and had everything we needed. We were only there one night so did not spend much time in the room anyway and it was in an area we felt comfortable in walking around at night. It is borderline Tenderloin (one of SF's worst areas) but really not bad as far as we could see. You could walk into Chinatown in 15 minutes up one very steep hill and from there, you have the city at your feet.

We actually, we had two full days in SF by spending the next night in Stockton at another Motel 6 for only $44. It was 90 minutes away and on the way to Yosemite, which is where were were headed next anyway.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Road Trip, Budget Travel
  • Written September 16, 2009
Tip Photo

one cheap alternative in Chinatown w/o parking

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful