Monticello Inn - A Kimpton Hotel

Hotel Abri
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Monticello Inn - A Kimpton Hotel

Monticello Inn-A great place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member texasproud

We found the Monticello Inn a great place to stay in San Francisco. The location is excellent - near Union Square, just around the corner from the cable car turnaround (be sure to ride holding on to the side, it's more fun than you'd imagine), BART and the tram to Fisherman's Wharf.
The staff was friendly and accomodating, to the extent that when we registered they brought each of us a glass of wine since we had missed the wine reception.
The rooms are small but comfortable, with very nice beds and linens. We'd certainly stay here again.

Great location, good value

My husband and I stayed at the Monticello Inn for four nights while on our honeymoon. The staff was friendly and always helpful. The rooms were small but clean. The breakfast was horrible (toast and coffee, some mornings there were small muffins and old bananas) and we wouldn't recommend paying for breakfast. The location is great for shopping, eating and site-seeing, especially if you're getting around the city on foot or by cable car.

Great Location, Decent hotel

by TripAdvisor Member jerryjai

My wife and I stayed at the Monticello Inn for two nights from May 28-30 (Memorial Day weekend). I paid $107 a night for a queen-bed room. we got a free upgrade to a king-bed.

Great Location - 1 block from Union Square, close to the Cable car, bus line, restaurants, shopping areas.

The room was small, but thats OK since we hardly spent any time indoors (except for sleeping and showering). The room had a peculiar odour too. The room AC took a long while to cool the room. The bathrooms are small. No coffee maker in the room. There was no street noise.

The hotel provides breakfast for a nominal fee, but we preferred Subway (right next door) and starbucks (one block away).

The hotel staff is friendly and very courteous. Hotel provides valet parking for $30 a day (quite expensive).

All in all, this is a decent place to stay if you are going to be visiting SFO for a few days.

Nice hotel; good location

by TripAdvisor Member elkejames

I stayed one night at the Monticello Inn in March 2005. The hotel was nicely decorated and gave the impression of a charming old inn. Pulling up out front for valet parking was crowded. Valet kept our car directly under the hotel which was very convenient. The morning continental breakfast for $6.50 was good but some hotels offer this for free. The room had a few problems: there was not a desk for my computer when using the internet connection, so I used the bed as a make-shift desk; the bathroom sink smelled like moldly laundry, although it appeared to be clean; the conditioner pump in the shower was empty, which I discovered while in the shower when I REALLY needed it; the "touch" lamp near the bed kept going on and off; the lights dimmed when more than one electrical device was being used. The room was moderately quiet but you could hear street noise. NOTE: For those of you not familiar with San Francisco, all hotel rooms will be noisy to some extent, even when they advertise quiet rooms. I have never stayed at one where I did not hear street noise. This is a big city with old buildings and even new, double paned windows will let noise through. If any noise bothers you, then either don't stay in the City or ask for an inner, no view room which may help. The location was awesome within walking distance to many things. I would stay again but prefer a hotel with a more modern feel.

A Hidden Gem

by TripAdvisor Member KCSantaClara

I stayed at the Monticellno Inn for 4 nights for a big conference that took up over 50% of hotels in San Francisco. This hotel was not my original choice. My office booked this hotel for me because my three hotel preferences were sold out (Hotel Monaco, Grand Hyatt, W). I kept an open mind upon check in.

The hotel just completed renovation in all rooms. I had a suite on the top floor. It was nicely decorated, stocked with a good variety of magazines, and the staff was very pleasant. There was some steet noise but I did not have trouble sleeping. The showerhead is the "water saver" model that could use more pressure and water volume. The complimenary wireless internet was convenient and worked well. There was no coffee maker in the room, but I was able to get good fresh coffee from the lobby every morning. The public areas have new furnitures, comfortable and inviting, and were kept cleaned at all times. Liked the free newspaper in the lobby (San Francisco Chronicle, Financial Times, The Examiner). The afternoon wine hour was a very nice touch and enjoyable. Requested wake up calls every day, but only received 2 calls out of the 4 requests. I used the bedside alarm clock as a back-up so it worked out fine. The valet parking at $30 per day is reasonable when compared to other nearby hotels that charge $35 and up. The $6.50 continental breakfast was convenient at the hotel library lounge, which is a more pleasant place to have breakfast than the noisy crowds and dirty tables at Starbuck or greasy diners. The location is one of the best, cable car around the corner, and walking distance to the Moscone center and shops.

Special acknowlegement goes to Ms. Tammy Tran for the great renovation, and Ms. Cue Li of taking care of my accommodation request.

The Monticello Inn is a hidden gem and I highly recommend it if you don't need to be in a "name brand" and/or "trendy" hotel and you enjoy an inn that offers an unassuming ambience, quiet elegance with early American charm.

Very Noisy

My husband and I stayed here for a week: Dec 12-18, 2004. We are not very picky people - we are grad students, and have slept in very humble accomodations in many countries, and enjoy camping. However, when one pays $129/night, one expects a decent hotel stay.

Pros: Location (right by Union Square); Free Internet Access; some Aveda bathroom products.

Neutral: 5-6pm Happy Hour. The wine was not very good, and the lobby was so crowded. (We were there during a science conference, so it was a lot of young people trying to maximize their wine consumption during the 60 minute happy hour - kind of overwhelming if you do not like crowds). The corn bread was nice, though.

Major Con: the noise. We could not sleep. There was construction going on outside our room ALL NIGHT, every night! In one way you could say this was not the hotel's fault; however, their odd window situation makes it their fault. Our room had 2 windows, and in each there was an AC unit (that doubled as a heater) that could not be removed. It was semi-built-in. Therefore, the windows were permanently open. My husband had to present at the science conference, and could not get a good night's sleep. We bought earplugs, we complained (requested a room on the inside corridor, but none available), we turned on the AC fans just to drown out the noise. Nothing worked. I would caution a business traveler NOT to stay here if you need to be alert the next day. The street noise is severe even absent the construction, and the walls are paper thin. You can hear people in the hallway and the next room.

I politely complained while I was there, and they did not solve the problem. They sent me an email survey after our stay, and I told them what I'm writing here. They sent an apology email, but no discount offer for another Kimpton Hotel.

Great Location; Good Price

by TripAdvisor Member S0CalTraveler

Stayed there for a week in February 2005 during a business trip. The location is wonderful. You're within easy walking distance of a lot of attractions, including the cable car stations. Lots of shopping in nearby Union Square. I flew in from Oakland and found the BART perfect -- drops you a block from the hotel at the Powell Street station.

The nightly wine tastings in the library were a real treat. Well attended while I was there and a great way to meet others. Missed the Wednesday night book reading. I signed up for the morning continental breakfast and think I got my money's worth. $6 doesn't buy you much elsewhere in SF.

Downsides if you're there for business: Wireless service was lousy. My cell didn't work well in my room, which faced the courtyard. Too much concrete between me and the cell tower. Also, they offer high speed thru wireless but I needed a special device that they were out of the week I was there so I couldn't do my work at night, had to find another location.

The price was right; the staff superb. Highly recommend it, especially for pleasure travelers.

okay stay

by TripAdvisor Member travelerof3

My husband and I went up to the city for a one night stay. We searched on line for something close to Union Square, but not too expensive. We booked on the hotel's website for a breakfast package for $149 which included breakfast and parking. However, upon checkout, we were told that parking and breakfast were not included. They comped us the breakfast for a whopping $6.50 which is an outrageous price for croissants and muffins, coffee and juice. Checkout was not the right time to find out that they weren't going to pay for parking. Parking was $30. The total bill with tax and everything ended up being $200. This was not a $200 hotel!

The location was GREAT! Couldn't be more convenient to Union Square. Right next to the cable car. Easy to get a cab. Just perfect location.

The room itself was HUGE, but very poorly laid out. It was very difficult to watch TV from the bed, but impossible to watch it from the chairs. We had to sit on the bed in order to watch it. We couldn't lie in bed and watch TV. The bathroom was terribly tiny with barely enough room to turn around in. It is an eco-friendly hotel. So, everything was in dispenser's. Soap, shampoo, lotion, etc. I understand and am thrilled with this concept as it isn't so wasteful. However, the dispenser's didn't work that well. You either got a lot or a little, but never the right amount.

If location is the most important thing to you, this is the place to stay, but that's the only reason.

Beautiful simplicity

We have stayed here for two nights when attending my brother-in-law's wedding. The wedding itself was in the Sir Francis Drake Hotel, but I booked the Monticello as it had better reviews and I had a corporate discount. And it was about five minutes from the wedding location on foot.
The location is excellent, and compared to other hotels, the noise level was lower, as it is off Powell Street (one block). Now, if you are living in the suburbs and never had a chance to get used to city environment, you might have trouble falling asleep as San Francisco IS a noisy city. We had another couple with us staying at the same hotel for the wedding, and they had sleep trouble, never having lived in a city.
The hotel itself is VERY charming and the decor is really nice. I never quite understood complaints about small bathrooms or not being able to see television from the bed...I do not like chain hotels, I grew up poor, and this hotel reminded me some of the grand old hotels in my hometown in Central Europe. Yes, the rooms are small, and the bathrooms have some cracks and the paint might be chipped, but really...does this mater when you are sightseeing all day and you get to your room at oh-dark-thirty at night, ready to collapse? The furnishings might have been old, but everything was spotless clean.
The staff was very, very accomodating. When after the wedding, we were in a crunch for time, and my husband realized that we could not return the rented tails he wore, the hotel staff offered to help us out and returned it that afternoon.
The breakfast is $6.50 per room, not per person, and as such, is a really good value in the Union Square area of the town. Good croissants, orange juice and strong coffee, and the muffins were nice and fresh as well.
The only thing we winced about was the valet parking price...but again, when remembering that this is San Francisco downtown, it's understandable.
We will definitely stay here again when visiting.

San Francisco hotels

by bubba4783

Hi guys. Any suggestions people have for good hotels, in a good tourist location at a reasonable price, would be really appreciated.

by Foundryman1

I stayed at a place called the Cow Hollow Inn.It's in the marina district.They have some nice little apartments with kitchens as well-CR

by springbreak105

Union Square or Fisherman's Wharf

Have fun!

by Alikatt

Look at Kimpton group of hotels. you can do a search engine lookup. They are well-run, in the mid-price range and are scattered in good locations downtown. Marina/Lombard areas as mentioned has some motel-type accommodation geared toward tourists. Good luck.

by jwpotter

I always suggest the Amsterdam on Taylor Street.

RE: RE: San Francisco hotels

by Alikatt

Monticello Inn on Union Square was charming as I remember when I first went to SF (before I moved here) in the 80s.

by GrumpyL5

Hello,
I have stayed at Hotel Union Square, on Powell Street one block from Market. It was ok, and the staff were very good. A "Personality" hotel, clean, not luxury but comfortable. Cable Car runs outside and the tram (trolly) runs along Market, so really good transport links, and you can walk to the civic centre! It is just far enough outside of the dreadful Tenderloin district, where many of the reasonable price hotels are located.
www.hotelunionsquare.com
The tourist info site has a good list of hotels with links.
Remember to wrap up warm!

by jwpotter

Actually, one of the best bargins in SF is the San Remo.

Comments