1630 Pacific Avenue, San Francisco, California, 94109, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 55% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Arianedreams's Profile Photo

Decent location

The Nob Hill Motor Inn is two blocks from a cable car route, and it's easy to get a clipper card from the Walgreens just around the corner that can be topped up with one day or multi days travel. There's also bus route that stops outside the Walgreens (route 19).

The staff at the motel were really nice and helpful. Upon checking in the girl working reception gave me a map and marked on it where the motel was so it was impossible to get lost.

The motel bed was pretty comfortable, clean, the shower and TV worked fine and there was a fridge, coffee maker and microwave in the room. I already knew the breakfast wasn't going to be appealing (I don't like pastries, especially not for breakfast) but I wasn't expecting the coffee to be so awful (in my opinion) - there was juice though, so no worries. There are plenty of places to eat all around the block and as a single woman traveller I was comfortable walking around the area alone into the early evening. The only thing I didn't like about the motel was no in-room safe.

The other guests appeared to range between polar opposites - nice quiet relaxed people and at the other extreme a couple who had really out of control children (who ran up and down the stairs screaming loudly for about an hour and a half) and another couple who liked to rev their car engine repeatedly in the early hours of the morning when they came and went. The motel staff themselves though were nice and helpful, and the place felt safe. As a light sleeper I should have brought ear plugs.

The free wifi worked really well in my room, and I really appreciate hotels that don't try to charge extra for this. For location and staff helpfulness I'd definitely consider booking a room here again.

Unique Quality: Very easy to get to / from Fisherman's Wharf and Union Square and the view from the cable car as it first tilts over the hill is lovely. The surrounding area was mainly residential or restaurants so it was a nice contrast to the buzz of the tourist areas.

More about Nob Hill Motor Inn

Nob Hill was central, and quiet.

by TripAdvisor Member peachwhit

We stayed at Nob Hill Motor Inn for 4 nights, and really enjoyed the place. Complementary hot cocoa, coffee, and bear-claws in the morning helped us save, as well as the free parking. Our room was clean and quiet. We walked to Fishermans Wharf, China Town, and Union Square from this central location. You do need to be in good shape to handle the hills, but the walks don't take too long. Nice staff too!

Very Very Happy.

My husband and I drive down to San Francisco 7 or 8 times a year to watch the 49ers -- Normally we stay at a big name hotel with expensive parking etc but this time, we decided to flip through our AAA book and called the Nob Hill Motor Inn because of their free parking. We couldn't have been HAPPIER. The managers at the Inn were very helpful, the parking was free and our room was much bigger than the expensive place with some nice extras like a fridge and really comfy beds!!
Recommend this place highly to all of our friends --We have found our hotel in San Fran!

Exceptional Value

by TripAdvisor Member lantaya

After days of reviewing accommodations on the internet, I finally made reservations at Nob Hill. We were moving my daughter to college and did not want to spend outrageously. Nob Hill has good prices and was a wonderful place to stay. The room and bathroom were big, clean and there was a microwave and refrigerator. Miss Hiten at the front desk went out of her way to make us feel comfortable. She gave us a map, indicated all the sites we might want to see, told us which ones were walking distance and where we could catch public transportation. I requested a room on the top floor to keep down the noise and it was great. I have only been to SF once before and stayed at the Ramada Downtown for the same money. It was in a bad part of town and I was not impressed with the hotel. Nob Hill Motor Inn rates the best in our book and we plan on staying there on future trips to SF.

Great place to stay

My wife and I just got back from celebrating our 10th anniversary in S.F. Which is where we spent our honeymoon. I found out about the Nob Hill Motor Inn from different websites Travelocity, Expedia etc...I started reading the reviews and all looked positive. I booked our room and I got a fantastic price. Then I started to see some not so good reviews. I started to worry if I made the right decision. Then the 12/29/03 review of the motel put my mind at ease. One of the things I didn't do is request a room on the top floor. Lets face it, when you put requests like that in one of the chain hotels' reservations, chances are it doesn't make a difference. So being a week before our arrival I called directly and spoke to Judy to confirm our reservation and to request a top floor room. She said it wasn't noted on the reservation but she said it wasn't a problem. She also said that she does pay attention to special requests made on bookings that are made.
So don't be afraid to ask. I ended up talking to her for about 10 minutes about the weather and other things and mentioned my wife and I were spending our 10th anniversary there. When we arrived at the motel, I was pleasantly surprised with the setup. There are 2 floors of rooms with parking below. The parking spots are small but if you've been in any garages in the S.F. area they are all small. Compact cars are not a problem, but I rented a 4WD SUV because we were going to the mountains and it is a challenge. The parking is free which is a big plus being garages charge you rediculous rates but that's for another review.When we walked in the office for our reservation I gave my last name and Judy immediately said to me "You're here for your 10th anniversary." That impressed me because I mentioned it in passing to her when I called a week earlier and she remembered that.Our room was huge! I requested a King size bed which I got. But the room was well furnished with tables, chairs and an armoir. A microwave and fridge which was also in the room came in handy for our leftovers. The tiled bathroom was nicely decorated with a "real" tub and shower with shower doors.
Not those prefab deals you get in some hotel chains. The water was powerful and HOT!!! Which was nice after being in the cool S.F.
weather. The only thing I didn't like was that the complimentary soap was too small and dissolved quickly. I would recommend bringing your own bar of soap if you are staying for a while. But that complaint is a stretch. The room also included an Iron, Ironing board and hairdryer which are amenities you sometimes don't find in small motels. The other reviews talked about noise and there is no doubt you here everything.
But that's not the hotels fault. If people were a little more courteous It wouldn't be a problem. Slamming doors isn't necessary. Since there is no smoking in the rooms, people would congregate outside at all hours and talk...LOUDLY!!! There should be a sign designating a "quiet time" so that way people can come back to the room from a day of activities and relax.Frank & Judy are too of the nicest people you'll want to meet. When we arrived they gave us directions to the major attractions in the area and also explained that tours can be arranged for you by them. Since we've been here before we knew our way around.
They recommended a great Chinese restaurant on Polk Street right around the corner from the motel. The food was great. They ended up going out of town halfway through our stay but the couple that was there was just as nice and friendly. The continental breakfast are danishes bought in Bulk from Costco, Sam Club type places but we would go and grab a bite to eat at a diner before starting our day. In conclusion, I have found the place I will stay everytime I'm in S.F. It was a clean safe room with nice bathroom which is important to my wife and I. This isn't the Westin St Francis, so if you're the type of person that stays in fancy hotels or even selected Hotel chains this won't be the place for you.
If you are on a budget and looking for a motel with great location and access to all transportation and attractions this is the place to stay.

Wonderful place to rest in the city!

In a nutshell, the holidays were here and I was faced with the prospect of finding affordable accomodations for four adults ... needless to say I was not looking forward to my search after some initial searching!
After a few hours, I wished there were cheaper places in downtown SF. I stumbled across this motor inn that seemed to have to have some pretty good reviews. I gave them a call and found a solution that fit our needs. Upon arrival, we were extremely pleased. My boyfriend and I had a large room with a king bed, a pullout sofa, small kitchen with microwave, mini-fridge, coffee maker (or cocoa if that is what you fancied), and a heating/air con unit. Our friends had an adjoining room with two queen beds also with a heating/air con unit. There was an iron and board also with a nicely appointed bathroom (good hot shower and plenty of extra towels.)Perks:1. Free parking - there were other places in SF under consideration until I learned about the nightly fee. Our Ford Escape rental fit snugly but to be honest, some of the spaces were a bit narrow on the nights that we got in late. We learned if there is a full house, they will park your car for you and move it accordingly if necessary.2. Free continental breakfast - translates to free coffee, cocoa, Tang, danishes (cheese, fruit or cinnamon). Nothing fancy but a nice a.m. snack to get you going.3. Free wireless Internet in our room.
I believe they were making it available throughout so check before you making reservations if this is really important to you. There may be a deposit for the wireless card but I am unsure because we have an AirPort card in our laptop.4. Color television with HBO + basic cable.
Our room and the adjoining one had a television for convenience. 5. The entire hotel is 100% non-smoking. There is a small area in the courtyard for smokers because there are notices posted prohibited smoking on the walkways between rooms.6. Frank and Judy. They are the managers of the property and they were some of the nicest people we ever met in the hospitality industry. Alex was also helpful in answering our questions so during our stay we had no difficulties with any of the desk staff. Off the top of my head, I can only think of one drawback.Unless you have the top floor, we noticed mid-stay that we could really hear the family above us. We had second floor accomodations so next time, we will definitely request the uppermost floor.Other than that, this place is a good value for the money. It is clean, safe, and the price is definitely right for long term stay in SF. It is not the top of accomodations but after all, do you plan to spend all day and night there? No. One's hotel room is a place to shower and sleep til your next day of fun in whatever city.

A nice little place to spend your time in San Francisco!

by TripAdvisor Member gemmacarolyn

We stayed in this hotel for two nights, in the family suite. The beds were very comfortable, and the room spacious. The owners were helpful in providing us with a map and short explanation of the area. The only two small things wrong with this hotel were the parking spaces (which were narrow) and the "breakfast" which was almost non-existant!!!! But, above all, a good, comfortable stay

Breakfast was a joke

The room we were given was at the front of the hotel and we did not
sleep all night long because of the traffic noise.The next morning we
went looking for the "breakfast included" and found a sorry-looking
plate on the front desk with a couple of Nutrigrain bars and
plastic-wrapped Danish, an instant coffee flask and some hot water. Not
my idea of breakfastespecially as we had stayed the night before at a
Residence Inn in S. San Francisco where there was a full range of food
choices.I was not impressed, would not stay there again and feel there
are better choices than this hotel for a similar price.

Hard to Rate

Neighborhood was safe and clean. Centrally located and an easy walk to the wharf. I asked the maid not to enter our room and put the dnd sign out but she did anyway. She took my sheet towel. I was very upset and told the manager who dismissed the incident as MY fault because the maid can't understand english! She should at least be taught a FEW words. The manager said she couldn't because she did not speak spanish!
We paid full price and I thought that the least she could have done was give us 10% off as a gesture. Breakfast is a joke. Nutrigrain bars and plastic wrapped danish. Fruit would be nice for the price!

Looking for a Suite in San Francisco

by salcido

Hi,

We are a family of 4 people, that are planning on traveling to San Francisco on April, we are looking for a suite to stay, like Homestead Studio Suites, but I look on the Homestead site, and they don't have suite in San Francisco, its closest suite is in San Ramon.
Do you know others suites in San Francisco, or something of the kind.

Thank you.

by SSSony12

Look for Embassy Suites near the airport. 250 Gateway Blvd

Location Near the Airport

Phone 800/362-2779, 650/589-3400

Fax 650/589-1183

Web site www.embassysf.com

Room Information 312 units

Prices $109-$199 double. Rates include breakfast and complimentary evening beverages

Credit Cards AE, DC, MC, V

In Room Amenities A/C, TV, fridge, coffeemaker, hair dryer, iron, wireless high-speed Internet access, microwave

by FabienneCA

Hi,

Try the Nob Hill Motor Inn; there is a family suite there

HTH

Fabienne

by wiamy

There are couple suite in Emeryville, just across the bay. The area is family friendly, and most of all, most of the suite are free parking. Also, it is definitly excellent view of the city there!

Comments