466 Bush Street, San Francisco, California, 94108, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Costs 24% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• atufft's Profile Photo

Eco-Friendly but Upscale

Unique Quality: Among the renovated boutique hotels in town is the newly created Orchard Hotel, in the lobby of which is located a restaurant where we dined--Roots. I noticed right away though that the hotel decorations were made from recycled or sustainably produced materials, such as bamboo, hemp, etc. In fact, the following is found at the hotel website: Welcome to San Francisco’s newest and ‘greenest’ hotel – the Orchard Garden Hotel! Newly built in the heart of San Francisco, the Orchard Garden Hotel is California’s first generation of truly ‘green’ hotels – the only hotel built to the nationally accepted standards for green buildings developed by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) – for which we earned a coveted “Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design” (LEED®) certification. When we earned this award in June, 2007, the Orchard Garden was only the third hotel in the U.S. and the fourth hotel in the world with this certification.* Thus, the building is not only green in construction, but also was renovated with energy savings in mind. Each well insulated and sound proofed room has not only recycling bins, but free wifi and an ipod docking station as well. The quality of this hotel is very apparent, and I expect that the service is very good too. I have no idea about prices or anything, so check out the website and contact the hotel for this information.

Directions: 466 Bush, near Grant Avenue. One block from Union Square; half block from entrance to Chinatown.

More about Orchard Garden Hotel

LOVED the Orchard Garden Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member chilangarubia

This was my second stay that the Orchard Garden Hotel after many happy stays at the parent property, The Orchard. I could not have been happier - the service was impeccable, the room decor soothing and the location is about as good as it gets. And, knowing that everything about the hotel is "green" impressed me all the more. SF needs more hotels like the Orchard Garden!

Sustainable Foods and Wines

by atufft about Roots at the Orchard Garden Hotel

Roots is located in the ground floor lobby of the Orchard Gardent Hotel, which I review under VT accommodations. Executive Chef Russel Rummer is a restaurant leader within a California trend run contrary to the historical belief that agribusiness is all about maximizing efficient food output, using chemicals, and creating biohazards within the environment. To do this, he begins with three great lists of mostly California produced ingredients: (1) a great list of organic and sustainablly farmed California wines, and (2) top quality range and organically fed beef, chicken, duck, lamb, and pork, as well as sustainably fished salmon, fresh water trout, sea scallops, dungeness crab, and other seafood, and (3) organically grown and locally produced fresh salad greens, vegetables, garlic, mushrooms, virgin olive oil, and pasta. These ingredients on the whole are treated rather simply in the kitchen, a California tradition, but with a nice mediterranean accent in terms of style. I began with the soup of the day which was an elegant truffle soup and an arugula salad. During the main entre, I ordered a Niman Ranch Flatiron Steak, ordered rare, which had sides of pureed butternut squash and chopped spinach. This restaurant located as it is near Union Square is not a relative bargain, but the prices really weren't that bad either for top end dining service. The service was outstanding. Reservations are recommended, but didn't seem necessary on the raining night we were there. Great place for those who want a dinner conversation, not loud background chaos.

A Wonderful Find

by TripAdvisor Member BDRCO

We just got back from a terrific vacation in San Francisco. The wonderful service and value from the Orchard Garden Hotel added to our vacation experience. The hotel is centrally located, within easy walking distance to China Town, Union Square, shopping, restaurants, and the BART subway system. The hotel is very modern, clean, and has terrific service. We'll be coming back for more.

Quickly becoming the worst kept secret in SFO

by TripAdvisor Member genway53

OK so the room rates are outrageous for the luxurious shoe boxes, but the Orchard Garden Hotel is unlikely to remain a well kept secret for much longer. 5 day stay in mid May for medical conference. Location is just OK - about 15 min walk to the convention center but suitably out of the way of the main convention hotels to be perfect. Much of the decor and facilities described in other reviews are as good as their billing. The environmentally sound hotel management and facilities represent a paradigm shift and for which the OG will clearly serve as role model. Highlights are: great bed, wireless internet, small though highly functional workout room. Generally helpful and well informed staff who are well versed in the important role that energy efficiency and environmentally sound spaces will play in future cityscapes.
I will definitely stay her e again on a future trip – if one can even get a reservation!

Hold them to $270 a night tops – AAA helps.

Green with happiness!

by TripAdvisor Member screwy

This was a last minute change. We were going to originally stay where our family was at the Stanford Court, but moved here for a better rate. I'm a native to the city, and wanted my visit back home to be less Union Square-y.

First, I've stayed at their sister property, The Orchard, and thought that's where I had booked this reservation. I was scared when I realized it wasn't, but my fears were unwarranted. This place is beautiful. All the rooms are green: organic cleaning products, recycle bins, key-card electric, etc. I loved it. The beds are super comfy with plush comforters, flat panel TV's, free wireless, iHome alarm clocks for your iPod, Aveda products...all you can want.

I had a small issue at their free breakfast, which consists of fresh baked goods (croissants the size of your foot, seriously), fruit, awesome coffee and sliced meat, and they quickly made it right, sending a lovely bottle of wine to our room. The rooftop patio is a nice place to unwind after walking all day.

If you're looking for large rooms, a thousand employees, 34 elevators and groups of tourists blocking the doors, look elsewhere. If you want a good SF experience, in walking distance to Union Square, FiDi, Muni, BART and everything else, check this place out.

Gem at the Gates of China Town

by TripAdvisor Member vingale

After a long flight from HI, we checked in late at the Orchard Garden. The staff was very nice, check in was a breeze. Since we hadn't had dinner yet, we asked if anything was open to serve at 9:30 p.m. Turns out there is a restaurant inside the hotel, called Roots, that was excellent!!
The room was very comfortable. The bed just right and perfect for a good nights rest. The honor bar was affordable.
The location was the best. The gates to China Town were right next door.
We appreciate that the owner of the hotel made this a "green" hotel, specifically for guests with medical problems, using chemical free cleaning products.
We loved this hotel and would definitely stay there again!

great stay at the Orchard Garden

by TripAdvisor Member alaskaztravel

I traveled to San Francisco for the first time in November, 2006, with my 13 year old daughter for a rite of passage trip, just the two of us. Booked our hotel on the internet. After endless searching, the choices were many, made reservations at a different place. Looked some more and luckily decided to make a change and go green. Cancelled our previous hotel and booked in the Orchard Garden. We got a good rate because the hotel was still under construction.
My daughter and I arrived after a long day of travel, and the Orchard Garden was to be our "oasis" for our 4 night stay. It was convenient, gracious, serene, very sleek and clean, and all around great! We both slept as well in the hotel beds as we did at home. The bathroom was spacious and nice to use. What I loved most was the air exchange system...no need to feel closed in and stuffy, with windows I couldn't open like in most hotel rooms. The air in the room was fresh and the thermostat system easy to use so we were comfortable in the day and slept cool at night.
All the people who worked there were helpful and friendly. My daughter and I felt welcome and safe.
I wish we could have experienced the restaurant and rooftop garden, but they weren't done yet. Even with construction work durng the day, our room was perfect. Actually wish we could have had more time to luxuriate in our wonderful room.
Walking around town I stopped by the hotel we almost stayed at. It looked nice, but big with lots of hustle and bustle. The Orchard Garden was personable and quiet.
I hope to return to San Francisco someday and would love to be able to stay in the Orchard Garden again. I recommend it to anyone.

white fluffy duvet + aveda shampoo=heaven

My husband and I stayed here 4 nights while he was in San Francisco for a conference. The hotel is very pretty and not very large, which we liked. It has a homey, yet elegant feel the moment you walk in.
Our room was definitely on the small side, but nicely decorated. The bed was extremely comfy, with a fluffy white duvet on top. And the bathroom supplied Aveda bath products (which if you're a girl, you know that's special).
The room came with a continental breakfast every morning. There was delicious fruit and yummy pastries in a very nice dining area.
The best part of this hotel is the location though. It's literally on the corner of the entrance to Chinatown. I was able to walk around by myself, have lunch, do some shopping while the husband was at his conference. Not to mention it was 2 blocks (granted 2 blocks up hill) from a cable car stop that leads to fisherman's wharf. And if you walk all the way through Chinatown (about 20 minutes), you'll arrive at North Beach, which is filled with outstanding Italian restaraunts.
So stay here! It's beautiful, eco friendly, and just lovely.

Excellent Choice

by TripAdvisor Member sssss1

We spent 4 nights in the Orchard Garden in June and can highly recommend it.

When we arrived our booking (made in April via Orbitz) was not on the system, however, this did not impact our checkin and once I produced the booking confirmation from Orbitz we were checked in within minutes. We found the staff to be friendly, helpful and efficient.

The rooms are very comfortable and we thought them to be a good size. As mentioned previously the beds are very comfortable and the room is kept spotlessly clean.

Breakfast is included and the homemade scones are not to be missed. Free internet access is also available which is another bonus.

The hotel is in an excellent location and I would definitely stay there again.

Cool area to stay in San Francisco, Good bars/ restaurants

by sarsax

We're visiting San Francisco for a week in November and want to stay in a cool/ bohemian type area with lots of places to eat/ bars to go out in, interesting people. Basically not tourist central!! Any top tips for areas or individual hotels would be great.

Thanks!
Sarah

RE: Cool area to stay in San Francisco, Good bars/ restaurants

by centerofgravity

Try the Red Vic in the upper Haight: http://www.redvic.com/
It's probably the definition of a bohemian, neighborhood B&B

or
The Metro Hotel:
It's located in the Western Addition/Lower Haight which is definitely off of the tourist path. The french restaurant downstairs has a nice outdoor patio, and I've heard good things about the rooms.

I personally really love the Mission District, but some consider it a little scary/dirty. There's a new hotel there called Elements:

RE: Cool area to stay in San Francisco, Good bars/ restaurants

by DJStarr

WEll, I've worked in the city for awhile, and if I was choosing to stay downtown I'd probably check out the Hotel Monaco, the Triton hotel, the Orchard Hotel, Orchard Garden Hotel. All are near Chinatown, the financial district and Union square. You can walk all over, and catch the Cable cars up the hills if you'd like. Lots of bars, clubs, great restaurants nearby. Head up to thru Chinatown (Grant Street) and after it crosses Columbus, you're in the fun and funky North Beach area. Lots of cool little shops, lots of great eats and people watching. Have fun!
P.S. Don't miss dim sum at Yank Sing. It's pricier than Chinatown, but excellent! Remember, just because they push a cart by, you don't need to eat EVERYTHING. Also, if you're a foodie, go on the Wok Wiz Chinatown walks. Look it up under Wok Wiz.
DJ Starr