4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

LuxuryCollection Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 47% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• rstary's Profile Photo

A Luxuriously Sweet Deal

This hotel is elegant. We were fortunate to snag a great deal on the internet without knowing this was the hotel. It was fantastic. Rebuilt after the earthquake in the early 1900s. The picture I've included shows the main dining room as you enter the front of the hotel.

Unique Quality: This place is 100 years old and they take care of you. Ronnie was a wonderful waiter for the Sunday brunch.

Directions: Market and Montgomery St.

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

Elegant and Comfortable

I came to the city to attend a medidcal conference, and wanted to avoid the main hotels where many of the participants were staying. I chose Palace Hotel, for the friendliness over the telephone when booking the room and also the fact that they gave me a rate much better than normal for this time of the year.
    The rooms are well equipped. the bed is very comfortable. i dont have any sort of view from the room , even though i am on the 7th floor but the rooms are large, have high ceilings and has large bathroom with a good shower.
    The staff are friendly as they are at most hotels in this area. the hotel is near the BART so that you can come and go to the airport without much problem even if you have luggage.
    The doormen and the concierge are a little pretentious but that goes with their job. the bellboys and the reception staff are at the earth level and charming.

Unique Quality: early last century building with elegance
    recently remodelled
    comfortable rooms and bathroom and accessories
    waling distanec to moscone centre where the convention is being held and also the museum where there is an exhibition on frida kahlo
    lots of cafes around
    jsut beware that san francisco closes early, so get your dining done early

Directions: Bart from the airport, get off at Montgomery, viola are just in front of the hotel

• heryanta's Profile Photo

Old world luxury

Stayed for three nights after Thanksgiving in this old hotel on Montgomery & Market. It is a wonderful >100 yr old building that has been restored recently. Think marble staircases and glass dome dining room :)

Room - Very good
    I stayed at their cheapest room - it is probably about 300sqft which is not bad for a downtown San Francisco hotel. What it lacks in space they try to compensate with furnishings. The bed is very comfortable and so is the work chair. The bathroom has marble sink and the door and wall are thick so I don't hear anything from the rooms next door, apart from when they turn the shower on.

Service - average
    No coffee maker in the room, the fridge is not stocked (no mini bar) and internet costs $17/day, although noticeably faster than most hotels (stable download at 100kbps). 24 hr room service is nice albeit pricey.

Location - superb
    On the corner of Market St. and New Montgomery St. 5+ mins walk to Union Square and Westfield Shopping Center. 10+ mins walk to Chinatown, 15 mins walk to North Beach and the Ferry Building/Embarcadero.
    The Montgomery BART station is right outside the hotel entrance on Market St., which means getting from and to SFO is a piece of cake.

Price - very good
    I booked it early and got the room for $145/night; a great deal for a hotel of this stature.

Overall - very good
    I will consider staying here again, if I can get the similar deal.

Directions: on Market & Montgomery

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

A Grand Old Hotel

During a recent trip to San Francisco, there was an internet special on one of San Francisco's older hotels, the Palace Hotel. I took advantage of this deal, as it was clearly less expensive than my usual haunts. The Palace recently joined the Starwood Preferred program, which is the hotel chain I use almost exclusively on business trips.

This hotel was originally dreamed up by William Ralston of Bank of California fame. He unfortunately went broke building the hotel, and died shortly before its doors opened. It was built to be up to the famous standards of European grand hotels.

It was fully restored in 1989 after the second major San Francisco earthquake.

As for the hotel itself, I was upgraded to a suite on the 3rd floor, which was spacious, including a sitting room and also a bedroom. The room's bathroom is small, but adequate with shower and bathtub. Most of the furniture is antique, with modern amenities such as tv and radio included. The radio was on to the opera channel upon entry.

Workout room is available, but there is also a beautiful pool which made me wish I brought my suit! I did not get a chance to have a meal here, so I can not speak to the food.

Unique Quality: Rooms from $300 at rack rate, my rate was $180 from SPG.com

• HarmoniousBotch's Profile Photo

Resting on their laurels

The Palace hotel is one of the most elegant hotels I have ever stayed in. The interior decor ranges from fine to breathtaking.

The location is excellent: there is a BART and Muni station right next to the building.

But the management is resting on its laurels. Nothing is really done badly, but there are a bunch of things that are done as if it were a Motel 6.
    -The internet on your tv ( at $10/day ) is absolutely useless: it distorts web pages so as to make them unreadable.
    - There was only one end table, and one bedside lamp in a room with a kingsize bed.
    - The food was mediocre. We paid $89 each for their Mother's Day buffet, and the food was the quality of Denny's.

Despite these minor flaws, we enjoyed our stay. It is a very romantic place. ( If you are staying for business, go to the Park Hyatt a couple blocks away. It's not romantic, but well managed )

Directions: It is at the New Montgomery BART stop.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Palace Hotel

I'd heard mixed reviews about this place so I wasn't sure what to expect. The hotel interior is beautiful and, while refurbished, maintains the historic look that made the place famous.

The rooms were remodeled and, while they don't have the great showers and great beds of other Starwood hotels, are pretty comfortable. I had a slightly larger room with a small sitting area and it was pretty comfortable (the room that is.) The high ceilings make the room seem larger, but it wasn't as small as I'd been warned about. Everything was in working order, but the lack of a coffee maker in the room was disappointing. If you're a caffeine addict like me, don't be too concerned about this as there is coffee available in the lobby. The walls are pretty thin too, so you may want to bring earplugs if you're a light sleeper.

I can''t comment on the restaurants because I didn't eat in them. But the lobby bar is pretty impressive and worth a stop if not a cocktail.

Service here was excellent too. The staff really go out of their way to be helpful and can arrange tours, reservations and even shuttle service back to the airport. They try really hard to meet the luxury hotel standards and I was pleased with all their efforts.

• Go for it!

I lived in San Francisco (everyone calls it "The City" and never call it "Frisco") for several years, and now I visit there on business several times a year. When I go to The City I want a "San Francisco fix", and you can only get that from staying at the Fairmont, the Mark, the St. Francis, and the best of all, The Palace. If you want to feel San Francisco from its roots to its future, this is a classy and hip place to stay. It is great for business as it is next to the Montgomery Street business area and great for tourist as it is right on Market Street with access to public transportation. I love to just think about this great place!

Unique Quality: Business services is excellent. Great places to meet clients or have a cocktail at six with a friend. It is an elegant place full of history and charm. Sometimes I can get a great pre-pay price on the internet; e.g. $129 a night which is like "stealing" for this place. Go to the Palace Hotel web site.

Directions: Montgomery Street business area. It is at Market and Montgomrery.

• Sandi-2004's Profile Photo

Incredibly Beautiful Dining Room

Everything was perfect at the The Palace.
    Whether you stay here or not, be sure to stop
    in to see the gorgeously restored and exquisitely
    designed dining room.

Unique Quality: The Garden Court dining room is grand in every way. Graceful columns soar above marble floors towards a dome of stained glass, and the menu is as elaborate as the gold leaf sconces and mirrored doors.

The photo doesn't show the size of the room or
    the vast dome of hundreds of squares of
    stained glass. It's truly magnificent & represents
    the traditional San Francisco.

Directions: South of Union Square

• Ewa-Monika's Profile Photo

Palce Hotel is beautifull but...

Palce Hotel is beautifull but expensive, with perfect location near Financial District and Union Square.
    They have incredieble concierges there: guys who know everything, no matter if you want to buy a gift for your mom or eat a special dinner, they will give you the best advice. Even if you don't live in Palace, use concierge to discover the best places in San Francisco.
    300 USD per night, 235 USD - during weekends.

Directions: San Francisco, 2 New Montgomery St., tel. 415-512-1111

More about Palace Hotel

The Palace....Where Guests Are Treated Like Royalty!!!

by TripAdvisor Member zeebzoo

This is a much belated, but extremely well deserved review of the Palace Hotel. We stayed at the Palace Hotel in November, 2003. almost by accident, as we were meeting a old friend at the "Pied Piper" bar located there and were trying to make it convenient.
We arrived, not knowing what to expect after almost escaping from the "Embassy Hotel" (see my TripAdvisor.com review of the Embassy entitled "We Woudn't Even Stay The Second Night For Free!!!" dated November 6, 2003) not really knowing what to expect because the only phone call we had made while at the Embassy was to make a reservation at the Palace. We were extremely impressed at the grandeur of the entrance, lobby and hallways of the Palace and it just got better from our intitial impression. We arrived at about 9:30 a.m. (well before the 3 p.m. check in time) and were hoping to store our luggage there until check in time as we were traveling without our vehicle. Not only were we greeted with extremely friendly and efficient staff at the counter, but we were allowed to check into our room at that time.
We were impressed with our room due to the rich luxurious fabrics and elegant furniture used in decoration as well as how spacious it was. Not only were the fabrics luxurious, but the furniture and bed were extremely comfortable adding to the luxury and elegance of the room. We also were impressed with how quiet the room was, and were not bothered thoughout the night by any noise from the street, guests in rooms on either side of us or in the room above us or anyone walking down the hallway.
We ordered room service in the morning and received delicious food, promptly by extremely courteous and helpful staff. The complimentary bathrobes were an excellent touch and added to the feeling of living in luxury.
The hotel is conveniently located near a BART station as well as one of the turn arounds for the cable cars. In the surrounding neighborhood there are at least two Starbucks and several restaraunts to choose from.
As you can probably tell, we enjoyed our stay at the Palace and will definitely be staying there again upon returning to San Francisco.

The Palace Hotel, San FranciscoThe Palace Hotel, San Francisco