863 Bush Street, San Francisco, California, 94108, United States

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Priceline.com

• DueSer's Profile Photo

A French Retreat in San Francisco

This is a small hotel but it's very nice - comfortable, not pretentious at all, and extremely reasonably priced for a San Francisco hotel (prices of everything in SF scare me). The price includes breakfast, which was MUCH better than what most hotels are providing these days - croissants, jams, eggs, oatmeal...a wide variety to choose from. Everything was delicious.

There's a staircase as well as an old cage elevator to get you down to the ground floor for the dining room and then back up to your room. The entry and lobby are on the second floor.

The decor is pleasant - a French country theme with delicately flowered wallpaper and furnishings. It creates an atmosphere that's more like home than a hotel in a big, busy city.

Next door is their sister hotel, the Swan (or White Swan? Something like that anyway), owned by the same company, and it has a British theme. I didn't stay here but ended up going over there a couple times because the staff for both hotels is interchangable. If the P.A.'s front desk is busy, you can always go next door for anything from a simple question to finalizing your bill or checking in.

Unique Quality: When you check in, look by the staircase - there's a small table there with a tray of freshly baked cookies. I had chocolate chip & it was delicious.

In the evenings, they have a little get-together in the lounge on the bottom floor. There are couches and coffee tables set up for a great place to chat. Snacks, like vegetables & dip, bundt cake, and drinks (apperitifs & sodas) are all provided free.

In the rooms, you'll find a teddy bear sitting on the bed welcoming you:-)

The staff are all really nice. When I checked in, the guy at the front desk said he'd just noticed they had some open rooms and would I want a free upgrade? I've never had a hotel ask me that before. It's a very relaxed, friendly place.

My only complaint is with the valet. They have a valet - just park in front and they'll take care of the rest (it costs, of course, but it *is* San Francisco), which is very handy but, when I dropped my car off it sat out in front of the hotel in a loading zone for HOURS before a valet finally came and moved it to wherever their parking lot is. Also, they say to give them 20 minutes or so to go get your car when you want it again. I waited longer than that. I'd give them at least 30 minutes.

Directions: North of Chinatown, between Nob Hill & Union Square.

More about Petite Auberge

Raves for Petite Auberge!

In March of 2004, I had booked a much anticipated stay
at The Archbishop's Mansion through the internet. My fiance and I had
just gotten engaged when we flew to San Francisco in May, so when we
found out it was overbooked, we were sorely disappointed!
They apologized, and promised us a good room at Le Petite Auberge instead.
We had no idea what to expect.

What a lovely surprise! The moment we entered the doors of "Petite" we
were showered with care. The concierge put us up in the lovely cottage
in the back, replete with champagne and a bowl of fruit. The private porch,
brimming with garden flowers was an absolute delight, the fireplace
warmed our hearts, and oh, the breakfast, oh, the jacuzzi...
It was an incredible stay: ten times better than we ever could have imagined!

Since then, I've wanted to gush about how wonderful everyone was to us,
but was busy with our wedding plans and the subsequent move. Yesterday
I happened to come across the Petite Auberge postcard, so I simply had
to write. The folks there are a blessing and their place is a treasure.

Quite Charming

by TripAdvisor Member jessue

First of all, let me state that if you prefer big, swanky hotel chains, then don't stay here. The Petite Auberge is a small, charming hotel which will appeal to people who like to stay at Bed and Breakfast type places. I found it to be well kept and clean. We had a room with a fireplace, and yes, the rooms are small (and cozy). The breakfast, although basically a continental one, was attractively presented with many choices of yummy baked goods. The coffee was great and it is served all day long (free). Guests can also take advantage of the free sodas and bottled water available. Wine, cheese and crackers are served by a crackling fire in the evening. The staff were very accommodating, and the manager, Pam, was especially helpful to us when our pre-paid stay was cut short due to a medical emergency, arranging to credit us for our remaining days at a future time. Parking is $30 a day and it takes some time to retrieve the car as it is parked at a lot away from where the hotel is. Plan accordingly. Overall, I think it is a fine, small hotel in a good downtown location in San Francisco. We will be returning to the Petite Auberge in the future.

Wonderful break in a beautiful city

Thanks Petite Auberge for a wonderful base during our visit to San Francisco.
The hotel was charming and gave us the feeling that we were somewhere different and special. We particulary enjoyed that informal evening gatherings in the downstairs lounge where people gathered to sip wine, enjoy nibbles and to chat. This gave us the chance to meet lots of other travelers, something that can be hard in other hotels.
The close proximety to Union Square , the cable cars and lots of other attractions also helped us to see lots of San Francisco, a lovely city to visit.

Wonderful Stay!

by TripAdvisor Member Simmrouter

My wife and I spent four (4) nights recently in the Petite Suite. It was a lovely room with a gas fireplace and a seperate entrance. The room was very quiet, and quite large. The morning breakfast and afternoon wine reception were both wonderful, and the staff at the hotel was extremely helpful with restaurant recommendations, tours, and transportation questions. The hotel location is great - only several blocks from Union Square and the cable cars. We will definitely stay again at the Petite Auberge rather than larger San Francisco hotels that we had stayed in during previous visits toSan Francisco.

Delightful!

This was our second occasion to stay at Petite Auberge. My daughter and I came last year and had a wonderful room with a fireplace, bookcase filled with books, and a spacious room. This year I returned with my 78 year old mother and 82 year old father, my sister and my son to show them the wonderful sights of San Francisco. I didn't have to think twice where we would stay! We enjoyed six wonderful days at Petite Auberge. This time we stayed in a regular room which was much smaller, and remembering our room from last year, I felt it was a bit tight for two people. The decor of antique and shabby chic give a warm and cozy feeling. Breakfast each morning had a slendid variety of fruits, breads, muffins, scones, quiches, juices, coffee and teas. We were only able to attend the afternoon wine reception twice, however, this is a wonderful touch. Whoever bakes for Petite Auberge should be given an A+++. The housekeeping staff was always friendly and did a great job in tidying up the rooms. Everyone on staff was very helpful with our sightseeing questions and concerns and went out of their way to get information for us. The hotel is well located within walking distance of Chinatown and Union Square. There are several wonderful restaurants also in the area, and the cable cars are also nearby. The popular cookie jar in the lobby was filled each day with something different. We looked forward to ending our day each night after dinner by getting a cup of tea or coffee and sitting downstairs in front of the fire before retiring to bed. Enough good things can't be said about this charming little hotel. Looking forward to coming back and staying a third time!

Pleasantly exceeded all of our expectations! A++++

by TripAdvisor Member Yviebee

We just can’t say enough great things about this charming little bed and breakfast! Our experience at the Petite Auberge was no less than outstanding! We stayed 3 nights for our wedding October 1st and were pleasantly surprised. There is always an element of risk when choosing lodging over the internet from out of state. When they opened the double French doors to the “Petite Suite” I was overwhelmed at how absolutely darling this place was! It had its own balcony with a table and chairs and pretty potted flowers. Inside there was a cozy fireplace and sitting area with books and magazines, and a huge four-poster bed with a fluffy down comforter and pillows (a real treat in a hotel). Another pleasant treat was the bathroom that had a huge tub, outfitted with handmade oatmeal-mint soap, an assortment of Aveda bath products, and Nivea body cream. The mix of antique furniture and shabby chic décor really added a market touch of romance to the atmosphere of the room. The day we checked in, there was a bottle of champagne and white “just married” balloons in our room, not to mention the delicious box of Belgian chocolates that were all gifts from the hotel. The Petite Suite also comes with a stereo, CD player, and VCR in which you can choose from a list of movies and CD’s to borrow for free. There was also a mini-bar stocked with soda and bottled water which was also complimentary. It’s refreshing to see a place that doesn’t nickel and dime you for every little thing. Overall the quality of the room and the hotel in general was a sweet and unexpected surprise.

Now let’s talk breakfast! YUM with a capital “Y”! Breakfast is served in a wonderfully furnished European-style breakfast room which brought back memories of our traveling abroad. The food was excellent. No continental breakfast here! There was a different variety of homemade quiche each day; the potato curry was my favorite. There was also a nice variety of fruit, homemade muffins, pastries, chocolate croissants, hot and cold cereals, juice and milk in addition to hot maple link sausage and fresh country French bread with high quality preserves and marmalades! Phew! In the afternoon, the hotel offers a wine reception where guests can meet by the fireplace in the cozy den and have complimentary red and white wine, assorted cheeses and the most fabulous homemade bundt cake! Not to mention that there were freshly baked cookies available all day in the lobby, fortunately for our waistlines we were too busy to take advantage most of the time!

The staff was impeccably efficient, genuinely thoughtful and friendly and helpful, not only at the Petite Auberge, but at the sister hotel next door called the White Swan (which seems lovely as well). My highest commendations to the young concierge named Andy. He was so personable and knowledgeable about the city, and he was also “the master of ALL public transit”. Not only did he give us lots of great suggestions for fun things to do around town, but he knew every single bus, BART, and trolley line that could get us there! He was a real gem and a true asset to the hotel. Our wedding went flawlessly and the hotel staff was very helpful when we needed assistance. The location was fantastic! We felt the area was safe for walking around at night. It was only a brief, two block walk to Union Square and about 3-4 blocks from China town. Equally convenient was the fact that one of the main cable car lines was only a block away from the hotel. There are plenty of good restaurants within walking distance and many excellent ones just a short cable car ride away. Location of this B&B was premium, couldn’t ask for better.

Overall I give the Petite Auberge 10 stars! We plan to return every year in October for our anniversary and I can’t wait! If you are looking for a quaint, boutique hotel whose staff goes above and beyond, this is the place, look no further. I hope you all will enjoy it as much as we did!

Cheap and cheerful

by TripAdvisor Member avevers

Stayed for 3 nights in September. As the name suggests, our room was small. Very small! Clean enough though. Quite loud outside including early morning (because it is a very central location). Breakfast included in price was good – cereal and other continental fare. Chargeable internet service at hotel next door (listen out for the belching member of staff!). Beware - thin walls though – we could hear guests using the bathroom next door!

Great location, great service!

by TripAdvisor Member mndeb33

We stayed her November 16-21, while here for a medical conference, and were so happy we chose a more intimate, quiet hotel! A few blocks from Union Square, the location was great for cable cars/public transportation, shopping exploring the city. The breakfast was wonderful, room very comfortable, we appreciated the attention to detail of the decorating - feels like you are in a small European hotel! Every staff person was friendly and welcoming - yet since it's a hotel it is a bit more private than a bed and breakfast; no pressure to socialize if you prefer not to! We can't wait to come back ....

A hotel with heart in the heart of San Francisco

We visited in November 2004. My wife and I were very impressed with the total experience. The breakfasts were fantastic and the afternoon treats were great! The overall atmosphere was cozy and great, right down to the outdoor patio nook.

When I read reviews about staying there, lots of people talked about the small rooms. We were offered a larger room if we wanted, but were very happy with the small room. The bed was very comfortable, and the room had everything we needed as well as nice extra touches right down to rosemary mint shampoo and Nivea moisturizing creme.

We've never stayed in a place that seemed structured for interaction between guests and found this nice. We got informal hints from other guests who had visited some of the tourist sites just a day earlier. You can't get more current, visitor-friendly tips than that!

The location is great as well. We didn't rent a car and didn't take a cab. We simply got a 7 day MUNI pass and caught the nearby (1 and a half blocks) cable car (at Powell and Bush) or nearby buses to our hearts content. Unlimited rides, no hassles with parking anywhere. Even the BART station which took us to and from the SF Airport was easily accessible.

I also appreciated the free wireless access available to us at the White Swan Inn. As sister inns, the front door key for one got us in the other so it was easy to check email anytime we wanted.

I write a weekly column for the Winnipeg Sun and have contact with many folks through speaking engagements. I don't make recommendations lightly, but anywhere I mention our trip to San Francisco, I'll be mentioning this place. Some hotels are little more than a pit stop for the rest of your trip. This became an integral, enjoyable and cozy part of our memory of San Francisco.

Nice Hotel for a City Break

by TripAdvisor Member Tartan69

On the whole we found hotels in San Francisco to be expensive. Found this little one upon recommendations on Tripadvisor and I'm glad we stayed there.
- Excellent location in the heart of the city
- Small rooms but nicely furnished and very clean. However, make sure you request a room away from the elevator shaft or it can be a little noisy
- Nice breakfast & free cookies throughout the day
- Friendly staff who give good advice on what to see in the city

Cable car fun, but not cheap.Cable car fun, but not cheap.

Java Beach Cafe, SFJava Beach Cafe, SF

Rodin Collection at the Legion of HonorRodin Collection at the Legion of Honor

Nancy (cnango) at the Goldengate BridgeNancy (cnango) at the Goldengate Bridge

San Francisco to Oakland

by youngalex

Hello

We are planning a trip to USA for my sons wedding, he lives in Dayton, Ohio.

Our flight from Australia arrives at San Francisco International Airport at 10-15 am. There is a flight that goes direct to Columbus at 1-30 pm from Oakland, this is absoloutley the best flight I have found both timewise (dirct flight just over 4 hours) and value ($170.00 for 2 tickets including tax)

My question is, is that enough time to get through immigration and customs and get to Oakland airport.

2nd question, we will be spending 3 full days (4 nights) on the way back in San Francisco, recomendations for reasonably priced hotels in S.F would be great, also is it possible to go to Sonoma Valley or Napa Valley by public transport, or are there coach trips that go to those places.

Thanks in anticipation. Oh and if anyone needs help with recomendations for Sydney Austalia feel free to ask.

Rob

by GyuriFT

It seem extremely tight for me. In theory you can manage it but if anything goes wrong you are out of luck.

The Mosser Victorian is OK in San Francisco. Some people suggest "Petite Auberge" or "Golden Gate Hotel".
They are located centrally and reaonably priced. Before we became local we did stay at Mosser.

If you get a good deal, maybe it's safer to fly out ot Oakland the next day.

by OiKnow

That is a tight schedule. Figure an hour to claim luggage and clear customs and you need to check in at least an hour before your new flight a different airport and you only have about an hour and 15 minutes to move from one airport to the other. That is tight. From what I remember of the area it is not easy to get from SFO to Oakland. I'd check the San Francisco transit site, I think that by train (BART) you would have to go into San Francisco change trains and come back out to Oakland. I don't think that is enough time to do that. You could try to connect by taxi but if anything goes wrong in trafic you would not make it and the taxi ride would be expensive. Can you book an ongoing connection through the airline you are flying into SFO on? There may be more flights to Cincinnai then to Dayton (about 90 minutes drive from the Cincinnati airport to Dayton.)

David

by davidmg

I would most definitely recommend against trying to make that connection in Oakland. As a previous poster said, you never know if your flight might be delayed, nor can you anticipate what the traffic will be like, not to mention customs. Try to find a different itinerary from San Francisco or Oakland to Columbus that will give you more time, which will mean less stress.

by youngalex

Thanks for all your prompt replies, you have confirmed my thoughts, the sensible thing to do is wait until the next day, but of course we want to spend as much time as we can with our son.

Rob