Phoenix Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Boutique Hotel

Phoenix Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Travelocity Expedia.com Booking.com

• floche2001's Profile Photo

We enjoyed this hotel

We stayed at the Phoenix Hotel 3 nights in July 2010 and it was a good time. Though located in a street that might frighten some (lot of homeleses), the place is quiet and wel located in downtown SF and near the Civic Center.
    We recommend this hotel for families like us for two main reason : a nice pool and a free parking. The hotel is basic but the staff is verry friendly

Unique Quality: A very nice pool (specially hot water), the friendlyness of the staff and the free parking. The breakfast is served along the pool. Choice is well limitated like often in the US

• amapola66's Profile Photo

Rock and Roll Hotel

"How many hotels can claim that Keanu Reeves, Joan Jett, Vincent Gallo and Little Richard have graced their mattresses (no, silly, not all at the same time!)? How many hotels are the crash pad and launching pad for world-renowned bands like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Psychedelic Furs and Pearl Jam; and up-and-comers like The Killers, Bloc Party and The Shins? With so much creative energy swirling around you never know who might be strumming a guitar, posing for a photo shoot or just kicking back by the pool".

I stayed at the Phoenix in 1996 while on tour with Mojave 3 as their pianist. It was fun! With a rock and roll history and a pool designed by Andy Warhol no less, this small hotel (44 rooms) is based around a lush central courtyard within walking distance of many of the great rock and roll, venues and the government buildings and courthouses of the Civic Center are less than three blocks from the hotel. Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, Union Square and the Financial District are a short ten-minute drive away.

Swimming in the pool late at night is permitted, (at least when I was there), jungle sounds are piped into the communal areas (including early morning bird song!) and there is a cool, slightly hedonistic maybe, vibe about this place. The on-site Bambuddha Lounge and restaurant with its stylish and holistic ambience is a place to chill and the staff have a great knowlege of what's 'happening' (man!) and where to be at the right time.

This hotels launches your into the San Fran 'vibe' right away, what more could you want ; )

Unique Quality: Rock and roll hotel in a rock and roll town!

Great outdoor pool area, clean and spacious rooms, helpful staff, wireless internet, free parking, same day laundry & valet service..This small hotel has oodles of personality.

• MFAMILY's Profile Photo

Rock and Roll!

My daughter and I checked this hotel on the web after she read a comment of Gerard Way, My Chemical Romace's leadsinger, about having stayed here once with the band.
    She and her friend were delighted to be able to stay where their idols also did. Besides, there was always the possibility of some other band being there at the same time as us.
    And there was actually UK's "Maximo Park". Fantastic for the teens.

Unique Quality: It's more like a motel. Rooms give out to a central garden with heated pool. Rooms are nice and colorful. Bathrooms need to be modernized. There's no service. Not even coffee in the garden as we thought, because the restaurant (Bambuddha) also connects to it, but they are managed separately.
    Breakfast is self service in the garden but it's quite poor. Some doughnuts, toast, coffee, tea, butter, jam and that's about it. The waitress was not very attentive. Itran out of cups and had to keep asking, because she wouldn't see it.
    The reception people are nice and helpful.
    It's a low profile hotel, though it can become noisy at night as people party a lot and don't bother about other gests. We never complained because we knew it was the kind of place where it's meant to happen.
    My daughter wants to stay there again when we return to SFO.

Directions: Walking distance to Civic Center, Market an Powell Streets and Yerba Buena Center of Arts.

• Best

this is a very friendly hotel, very local and the people who work here are lovely!

Unique Quality: there are soo many diffrent nationalitys there ! including plenty of locals.

• LolaSanFrancisco's Profile Photo

Ok folks this hotel is totally out of the ordinary

$89 a night gets you something wild!

Ok folks this hotel is totally out of the ordinary. It’s laid out like an old 50’s motel, but all funky and cheesy in a good way. It’s in a busy area of San Francisco, but once you walk into the courtyard you here the piped in jungle noises. It also has a wacky pool (it’s always too cold in this city FYI to swim unless you totally liquored up).

The hotel has a very popular night club called BACKFLIP. It’s often frequented by the “stars”. I went there once with the band Everclear.

The rooms are decorated in a offhanded tiki sort of way. Each spacious 50's style bungalow room is decorated with handmade bamboo furnishings, tropical plants.All guestrooms have views of the courtyard and pool.

Unique Quality: The fun and funky island- inspired Phoenix Hotel is the perfect urban hide-away. The hotel features over 250 original works of art on the grounds including paintings, photographs, and sculptures from local artists. You will receive free tattoos upon check-in and don't forget to check out our Phoenix Fun Book, a coloring book inspired by the eclectic history of the hotel.

Services and Amenities

• Complimentary poolside continental breakfast
    • Free car parking and bus parking available
    • Outdoor heated swimming pool with San Francisco landmark underwater mural by Francis Forlenza called "My Fifteen Minutes"
    • Complete concierge services including staff-authored guide books to The City
    • Room service from Waiters On Wheels
    • Access to nearby fitness center
    • Same- day laundry service available
    • Massage service available in your room or poolside
    • Backflip Cocktail Lounge

More about Phoenix Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Boutique Hotel

The Rock N' Roll Hotel in SF

by sunchasers about Phoenix Hotel

This is the hotel famed over the years by the presence of many a rock star while stopping over in SF. It is an old roadside motel that has been renovated in a modern style, with bold colours. Comfortable, funky and they claim you never know when you'll run into someone in the music industry (though I don't know how true that is anymore). It's close to downtown music venues, near tenderloin district. This isn't known as the safest part of SF, so this hotel is definitely for the younger crowd who is interested in seeing some live music and not the typical tourist fare offered in the Bay Area. Bambuddha lounge, swimming pool, continental breakfast and free parking.

a nice oasis in san francisco

by TripAdvisor Member AbruzzeseOlivePicker

It is true that this Hotel is located in the Tenderloin neighborhood ... but that means it's a quick walk to almost all the downtown attractions, plus very close to the Symphony and the Opera on Van Ness. At night, the atmosphere can be very tranquil inside the lovely courtyard which boasts an amazing pool to lounge around. The continental breakfast is served outside in the morning as well, and what a nice way to start the day! There are bands that stay at this hotel, and it does have a rock-&-roll history, but it never seems to get out of control - and the people on the street that seemed to scare some of the other people posting on tripadvisor exist in every major city. A special bonus is the care & attention given by most of the staff - especially Pam the manager. All in all, it's a very relaxing retreat right in the middle of a busy city - and I'd definitely stay there again!

Life is good to me so far

by TripAdvisor Member maplebay

well we have just arrived and i have stayed here before and absolutely LOVED it.
we felt like we had walked onto a movie set when i stayed here 3 years ago.
the price has definitely gone up and it was well worth the value 3 years ago- but
now might be quite comparable to other $100+ hotels you can stay at in SF.
However staff is extremely friendly, its great to have parking and you cant beat the
heated pool.

Also there are lovely fun and lively people all over the place and they serve breakfast complimentary.

so far our check in was great my only complaint was the rise in price and the fact
that other JDV hotels offer web discounts if you book for more than one night.

Travelers Beware!

I read the reviews and decided to book a 2-day stay hoping to have a unique experience. As a former resident of San Francisco, I was well aware of the Tenderloin area. The only measure of security is a gated entrance to the courtyard. There is no 24-hour security or staff on duty. The parking lot is small and fills up fast. Your car is exposed to passers-by. The rooms have glass louver windows which means they are not secure and do not give you any kind of sound barrier to outside noise... noise from the Bambuddha bar/restaurant until 11pm and noise from other guests all through the night. I am not a light sleeper but I was disturbed several times throughout the night and finally had to use the 'white noise' function on the clock radio in the room to mask the noise. Instead of extending my stay, I went online and found a 4-star deluxe hotel for much less for the next two nights. I paid $139/night for a weekend stay. There are much better prices for much better hotels in San Francisco. Avoid The Phoenix! Others have mentioned the rude front desk staff. I also found 2 of the 3 front desk personnel to be rude/arrogant as others have commented.

Fun and Funky Place to Stay in San Francisco

by TripAdvisor Member snowcraig

This hotel is not for everyone, but I got the sense of that after reading about it on their website and on Trip Advisor. We needed a place to stay for one night before we flew back home, so I figured I'd give the Phoenix a try.

We got in later in the evening. I was tired from being in the car all day. Parking was difficult - very small lot and not enough spaces, but we got the car squeezed in and checked in. The front desk clerk was pleasant, but definitely had his own "style," which I could see might put someone else off. I was too tired to spend much time chatting. We had a lot of stuff to take out of the car and repack for flying the next day, so the fact that there was parking right there, easily accessible, was a plus.

Our hotel was on the first floor - opens right into the courtyard. It was Friday night and the Bambuddaha Lounge was rockin'!! It was such a vibrant scene of young people partying. We thought it was pretty funny and if we hadn't been so exhausted, would have gotten changed and checked out the scene. The heated pool was small, but very funky. It is open late, which is nice, and their were young kids playing in the pool, right near all these hip young party-goers, which was neat to see.

The hotel is so funky - decorated with lots of interesting art. The rooms are standard '60s motel rooms repainted and furnished to make them seem hip and current. The room was big and comfortable. My only critique would be the bathroom needed a little updating - but even that was fun with a funky shower curtain and kitchy duck decales in the tub.

The noise from the club was pretty loud. If you are looking for a quiet retreat, I wouldn't recommend staying here on a Friday night. I think they close down at 2 a.m., we had no trouble getting to sleep, but the big windows don't block out all the noise. We had fun listening to drunk people try to carry on conversations and pick up girls/boys. I woke up around 4 a.m. and could still hear people talking outside.

We took advantage of the continental breakfast by the pool. A very nice spread for a continental breakfast and it was nice to have it right out the door by the pool. They have these cool "cabana" type things set up with curtains and people were having their breakfast there. We opted for poolside chairs. The best part was that they included Pop Tarts in the offerings - how cool is that?!

Overall, it was a fun experience. The neighborhood was not a great one and it was bit off-putting to get a note about car vandalism and theft when you got your parking tag. I'm not sure I would rush back to stay here next time I'm in San Francisco, but I'm not disappointed I tried it. If you are young, like to party, and can appreciate the kitchy fun atmosphere, I say, go for it!!!

Comments